Current state of affairs, the Great White Caravan for the CCCA

trimacar

One has to laugh. 

Trying to tie in the theme and places visited, one of the upcoming CCCA Caravans was supposed to be the "Great White Shark Caravan", or some variation thereof.

The notice that was emailed to members was the "Great White Caravan".  

Retractions have been posted, but even I (a conservative at heart but with understanding) cringed when I read the original heading.

These days one has to be very careful, ANYTHING stated offends SOMEONE!

• Haha 2

So, the tour was to Martha’s Vineyard. That’s where they filmed the movie Jaws. The logo was a car with a great white shark as the driver......it was all very stylized and appropriate. Somehow something got edited and in one place it appears as a “Great White Caravan”. Naturally, the mistake was caught by a sharp reader.....who reported it to the club. In today’s whacked out woke world of imbeciles, they over reacted and issued a correction. It wasn’t worth the time. All that happened was a group of people volunteering their time and effort to put on a tour to a fantastic area we’re needlessly embarrassed and made a spectacle of. It was pathetic. Here is a photo of my 1932 Pierce Series 54 Coupe on the sand where the shark attacked the guy in the row boat. Going to the dock where the Orca was showen tied up in Menemsha and taking a photo with Carley Simon was great fun. The next night we had dinner with friends at James Taylor’s place in Aquinnah next to the lighthouse. Years earlier I met Dan Aykroyd in Edgartown and had an ice cream with him on the running board of my 1936 Pierce Arrow. He bought one the next year, and has been a member of the Pierce club ever since. Seconded photo is Chappaquiddick Island, on the dirt road where Teddy Kennedy went off the bridge in the 1968 Olds Delta 88 Delmonte. The last photo is the ferry to Chappy from Edgartown. All very famous locations that I have been lucky to have spent time with family, friends, and cars over the years.

7DDB8A43-1D91-40F8-9AF6-23EAF36F816C.png

04E17F97-34F9-4925-9B95-25ADEE1D53C4.png

A3317F3B-71EE-4C06-8369-B86A2D782DD0.png

F5289DAE-EF2D-4ACC-8996-3BE4E77FF187.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Let’s see...........a “great white guy” - read “great” as overweight- driving a car with a nick name of “Great White”. 🤔

With Phil in the car next to me......and my good friend is bigger than I am.........people would call out “Two white whales driving a Great White!” 😝

The good news, both Phil and I have made progress getting off the COVID weight gain. With luck we will need new nick names.........I’m not gonna go there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We  have a big festival here in Winchester, In non COVID years, Apple Blossom Festival with a huge firefighters parade on Friday then a Grand Parade on Saturday.  Hundreds of antique and newer fire trucks.  One year, Dan Aykroid was the Grand Marshall.  I had my ‘31 Pierce phaeton to carry a dignitary in the parade.

Dan walked out with his entourage.  As soon as he saw my Pierce, he broke away, introduced himself to me, and started asking about my Pierce.  We had a nice conversation, he told me about his car.  His “handlers” were saying, Dan, we have to go...and he turned to them and said hush, I’m talking cars.

His sister lives not far from me, so his being in the area is not unusual, and in fact he did a series of ads for his brother-in-law who owns a water softener business locally.

Fun stuff....

• Like 5

It's actually funny if one understands the whole situation.  Society needs to lighten up a bit.

MV is neat but planning one's life around the ferry schedule is a real pita.  Giordano's though, is one of my top ten restaurants. 😋😋😋

• Like 3

Maybe the tour can do NYC's  Broadway. You know, The Great White Way. Is there anything that one can utter anymore without sending someone else sniveling into their safe space to hug their teddy bear?...........Bob

• Like 1

The responsibility to see things correctly stated and double checked is up to the club's Executive Director or PR chairperson. the general attitude now seems to be "not a big deal, let it slide" but in today's climate of opinions and sensitivity any slip up can affect people's opinion - the result being  people not want to join or be a part of that group. PROOF READ is the solution (by more then one person). People in general always remember the mistakes not all the good things .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Ed,

I'm planning on taking my 1932 Dodge Brother DK over to Martha's Vineyard this September for a couple days. I hope I have half as beautiful time as yours and perhaps meet a star or two while I'm there as well! Any tips for traveling to the island with a classic car?  

23 minutes ago, Kblake said:

Ed,

I'm planning on taking my 1932 Dodge Brother DK over to Martha's Vineyard this September for a couple days. I hope I have half as beautiful time as yours and perhaps meet a star or two while I'm there as well! Any tips for traveling to the island with a classic car?  

As somebody who as spent way too much time taking the ferry back and forth to MV I'm hopeful for you that late Sept is a sweet spot.   My experience is that  MV is either so crowded you can't move (Summer) or so empty you are scared (Winter).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, alsancle said:

As somebody who as spent way too much time taking the ferry back and forth to MV I'm hopeful for you that late Sept is a sweet spot.   My experience is that  MV is either so crowded you can't move (Summer) or so empty you are scared (Winter).

You just don't know how to have any fun.............It's a great place. I like it even more when you're not there.  Kblake, pm me and I will give you some pointers. There are lots of great roads and places to visit.......you need ten days to really get to know the island......here is the place I intended to retire to on Chappy. Only issue.......money. Its on 40 acres and has 1200 feet of ocean frontage. Its an old barn that was converted into a three season home. My "happy place". 

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1309.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, alsancle said:

So Ed,  are you actually on MV,  or maybe on another Island that happens to be right next to it?

Also,  10 days is enough time to cover the entire Island walking.

Chappy........

Have you ever driven the beaches in a 4x4? I think not. Been out to Gay Head? I think not. Grabbed the brass ring on the merry - go - round? Nope........been to the Bible Village? Chilmark ? Have you had coffee in West Tisbury on the general store's porch with Alan Dershowitz? You can't see the forest for the trees. 

What I'm shocked by is Ed hasn't noticed that MV is a dry island with the exception of one town.  There are two liqueur stores and no bars.

The Cape stinks too,  but at least you have two bridges that allow you to escape.   When the ferries stop running or get messed up or over booked you are screwed if you are on the island side of the line.

• Like 1

I much prefer Newport to both.

But MV does have a guy who uses his 300  SL, roadster, not gullwing around town.  He lives just outside Edgertown.  A couple Model As in Vineyard Haven as well. 

Anyone else know whered the old tokheim gas pump is, still standing I assume right by the roadside..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I much prefer Newport to both.

But MV does have a guy who uses his 300  SL, roadster, not gullwing around town.  He lives just outside Edgertown.  A couple Model As in Vineyard Haven as well. 

Anyone else know whered the old tokheim gas pump is, still standing I assume right by the roadside..

Amen!   Newport is so much cooler than either MV or the Cape.   No comparison.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I bet neither of you guys have had the experience of wandering off the main beach up island by cliffs to the nude beach, with two adolescent boys....    The good, the bad and yes, the ugly... 

Been there, done that. Hauling the bike down to the beach was a bxxxh.

Katama is great, but they frown on nudity.........so the officer told me.😎

• Haha 2

Right you are George. We were in the Fla. Keys and saw an ad for a nude bar. We were laughing about it at the hotel one night and a guest said that if you go to the bar expecting to see 20 year old hard bodies, don't get your hope's up. Most of the customers are in their 60's and 70's and even into the 80's.

• Like 2