BAT disappointment

I have a modified car that I need to sell.

Since I want to avoid eBay I approached Bring A Trailer.

They declined it, I guess my money isn't green enough. Although I threw quite a bit if it into the thing.

And "Yea, its got a Hemi".

IM004900.JPG

IM004901.JPG

IM004902.JPG

IM004903.JPG

I wouldn't take it personally. They have a finite number of spaces and are cultivating a certain brand and have obviously learned who is using their site and what cars those people buy. I turn away quite a few cars, too, either because the quality isn't there, or it will be hard to sell (hot rods definitely qualify here), or the margins aren't right, or it's not something I want to deal in (hot rods, exotics, 2-seat Thunderbirds are all on my "no thanks" list). About half the guys I turn away go home angry but I don't know why. Do they also go home angry when they try to take their Corvettes to a Mustang show and are told, "This isn't the place for this car?" Just because you're there and want them to take your money doesn't mean they have to.

Just because it's nice and you spent a lot and you want to list it there isn't a reason for them to list it. They're allowed to do that. Don't be angry about it, move on. There are other venues and I'd argue that putting your car on BaT is not necessarily a home-run. Yes, quite a few cars bring strong money, but like any auction venue, there are a bunch that don't and I have yet to see a hot rod like that do anything but lay there dead--that's not the right venue for such a car. Meanwhile, the peanut gallery picks the car to pieces and you have 7 days of pure hell dancing to whatever beat the peanut gallery wants you to dance. "Do you have paint meter readings?" "How about a video showing only left turns at 31 MPH?" "Can you tell me every single part that was used to put it together?" "I had one like this except it was blue and a two door and a 1983 Chevrolet, please provide complete ownership history so I can determine if this is my car." "Can you prove it will pass emissions in my home state?" "**Here's everything I know about the engine in this car and it's all bad news.**"

Let it go and don't be upset. It's just business, not personal.

• Like 10

Had BaT contact me about listing a car I had on a local website for a friend. After reading all the costs, and stipulations, plus the comments from keyboard warriors who have not, nor will never bid to own we declined.

• Like 2

I’m a long time car guy.  Oil in my veins and all that. I like them all - US, British, German, Japanese, French, you name it.  Brass era through current, although I prefer pre-‘80s. I even respect a well built custom Civic. 

I’ll consume almost any car media or for sale ad that comes my way. I scan my local CL at least three times a day, same with these forums. Facebook, eBay, Hemmings, etc daily. Multiple forums, even for models I’ve never owned or will own. 

I stopped reading BAT years ago.  

- John 

• Like 1

I have not bought anything off BAT but I regularly look at the offerings. Hammer price is either too high or distance too far. 

But what keeps me coming back are the detailed photo's of cars that either I already own or would someday like to own. 

Some of my cars are slightly odd ball projects , plus a pair of race cars. BAT listing photos are great reference material for how other examples look. { or how to put mine back together }

For a couple of my cars Google searches don't turn up much , but once a sister example is listed on BAT I have a great reference . And the photo's seem to stay on the site forever, although I do download the best of them just in case BAT starts to delete them in the future.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

23 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Jack, since this is the "Not Mine" category,

are you saying this is your car, or are you 

merely quoting the seller?

Its my car and I did all the work except the paint.

I think I posted this here because of some previous comment, not sure.

But its for sale and you can pick it apart all you like.

I have a pretty thick skin, so can take it.

I got upset with BAT because I was trying to post the car and the site didn't like my camera.

They picked up on the fact that I had been trying and reached out to me with all the help I needed to get the pictures to go thru.

I was grateful for their help, but then they rejected it.

I guess my money isn't green enough. Or they are just a bit snooty about what they want to list.

So, I hate to think of selling on eBay for reasons I read on these forums. I do buy on eBay small items with free shipping quite often.

I know that I am going to lose ALOT of money on this car as the build was "the best of everything" back when I had some cash flow.

It just that its to much car for most (including myself) to drive comfortably with a manual 5 speed. Its to radical with the 472cid and 525hp crate Hemi.     

(I cant believe I said that).

• Haha 1

Look into down grading the engine.  You can probably recover a fair chunk of what you paid for it from someone else who just has to have the " best " street engine. Then install something a bit better suited to the sort of driving you actually enjoy. What better way to make use of all that time , trouble and cost that building it in the first place involved.

I am doing the same with one of my track cars. Same basic engine family as what it had when it was new , but the best of the regular street versions. Less than 1/2 the HP of the track version , but it now runs in a slower and  much more affordable class.  A much better match to what I actually need. 

A future owner with deeper pockets can always  put it back to its factory spec. 

13 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I don't understand. Isn't your modified car exactly what the HAMB is all about? Why isn't listing it there the natural choice?

Good idea.

I haven't been over there in years.

I think the car is a really cool street rod. Sorry they didn't accept it. Did they look at these specific photos to determine whether they would attempt to sell it it not?

I ask only because I'm not understanding what I'm seeing in the windows of the car. Are those lights or reflections of lights? Maybe the folks at BaT also didn't understand what they were seeing and misinterpreted it as something else. Just a thought. Best wishes on your sale.

The windows in the car have a Mylar in the laminate with a holographic pattern in it. The part that glues the panes together.

The sun sets it off and is invisible from the inside. Multiple colors.

I went thru all that in my descriptions.

This is a radical custom after all.

I have a few patterns of this glass in several of my cars.

IM004901.JPG

IM004902.JPG

003.jpg

20140422_173351.jpg

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Very East L.A. I have seen similar at a gathering around a plaza near that birria joint that everyone goes to. Maybe hang a visor on it and place an ad or two in the appropriate region L.A. Craigslist. Did you put A/C in it ?

As for the birria, (a traditional goats head soup/stew), it is delicious there, but not head. You will not find commercial birria de cabeza, any more than you can find a true legitimate pigs head posole. Prohibitively labor intensive . Even getting a little hard to find in Mexico for that reason. When you are cruising the byways in the countryside down South,  be aware of your gastronomic opportunities. A plywood sign with naught but a goat head or pig head painted on it indicates some of the best road eating you will ever enjoy. I promise ! In fact, tell ‘em Cadillac Carl sent you. Oh, and if the sign has a picture of a maguey, there you will find a rustic country pulqueria. Stop, join in the fun. Or just get a gallon milk jug or two of it for the road. For a gringo, my lifetime pulque consumption is remarkable. Not bragging, statement of fact. This makes me eager to share one of my pulque adventures. I better start a new topic in General. Either the one about returning from the police corruption museum with Frank the cabdriver on the old road to ‘Horn , or the incident at “El Pirata” , a hard working union man’s hangout. Got 1/2 crocked with Vince the cabdriver, (union), looking after me, and I announced that I was the new Ambassador to Mexico from the USA. Vince let me carry on for a while, and then let me know it was time say adios. Not your average tourist attraction. I am just now taking a rest from a water heater replacement, so I will get to it later. You will recognize the title when you see it.

Jack, there is a new Pachuco lowrider who wants your car. Cool gasoline fueled car guys who speak an unusual Spanglish slang. Easily leaves me scratching my head, ese.     -    El Cadillaquero 

Edited by C Carl (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I guess my prejudices are showing. I sort of lump all of the modified cars together.

They hate resto rods more than the guys on here do.    And god help you if you post a rat rod.

The HAMB has a much more narrow focus than the AACA.   We had a thread going on there about hot rod Cords that one of the jerk moderators closed because someone posted a car done in the 80s that didn't quite fit.  I actually couldn't tell the difference.   I was done with the HAMB at that moment.

They define a traditional hot rod as something that would have been built prior to 1965.    Typically with a ford flathead, but the power needs to be pre 1965 and the look needs to be pre 1965 and the parts need to be pre 1965.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

They hate resto rods more than the guys on here do.    And god help you if you post a rat rod.

The HAMB has a much more narrow focus than the AACA.   We had a thread going on there about hot rod Cords that one of the jerk moderators closed because someone posted a car done in the 80s that didn't quite fit.  I actually couldn't tell the difference.   I was done with the HAMB at that moment.

They define a traditional hot rod as something that would have been built prior to 1965.    Typically with a ford flathead, but the power needs to be pre 1965 and the look needs to be pre 1965 and the parts need to be pre 1965.

Snooty bunch, huh?

• Like 1

If you built this car with a vision and creativity followed, you enjoyed the experience and are mostly happy with the outcome, you should hold onto it. If you sold it for a loss, you will end up using the money on another project. The car can still evolve into something close to present needs. Keep it, tweak it, and enjoy it.

If you sell, Ebay will hit you with about 20% in fees plus the listing fee. Great site for selling without the hassle of showing the item personally but I dont think it would bring in high dollars.

Most of the cars on CL that are modified as yours are seen in the south and in western states. That must be where the demand is. For $5.00, it's worth a shot.

5 hours ago, supercub said:

If you built this car with a vision and creativity followed, you enjoyed the experience and are mostly happy with the outcome, you should hold onto it. If you sold it for a loss, you will end up using the money on another project. The car can still evolve into something close to present needs. Keep it, tweak it, and enjoy it.

If you sell, Ebay will hit you with about 20% in fees plus the listing fee. Great site for selling without the hassle of showing the item personally but I dont think it would bring in high dollars.

Most of the cars on CL that are modified as yours are seen in the south and in western states. That must be where the demand is. For $5.00, it's worth a shot.

Its not really a money thing as I have about a 100K in receipts.

Like to free up space as I almost never drive it. I lost a lot of interest in it when it took five years to get it painted.

I cant figure these custom paint guys. Very little motivation.

23 minutes ago, JACK M said:

There are literally thousands of dealers that would be happy to take it on consignment.

Not that desperate yet.

Matt should comment but the ones I know will only take it at a price they think they can sell it for.  You get the advantage of a professional marketing machine and the fact that many people feel more comfortable buying from a dealer. You also will pay 5-10% of the selling price in commission.