World's fourth largest car maker Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot- Citroen complete $52 Billion merger

Mark Gregory

Stellantis becomes world's fourth biggest car maker after Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Peugeot-Citroen owner Groupe PSA complete $52bn merger

• Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) and Citroen-Peugeot owner Groupe PSA completed the $52billion merger today
  • Combined annual vehicle output will be 8million, making Stellantis the fourth largest car maker
  • Only Toyota, Volkswagen Group and Renault-Nissan produce more units

A new mega deal to merge FCA and Groupe PSA has been completed today, finalising a deal that creates the world’s fourth largest manufacturer by production volume.

Carlos Tavares, former PSA boss, will take the reigns of the newly formed company as CEO, while other managerial positions will be confirmed in the next weeks.  

With annual production of around 8 million vehicles worldwide and revenues of more than €165 billion ($203 billion), Stellantis is expected to play a key role in the auto industry's jump into the new era of electrification.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, padgett said:

So now we can have Jeep with an air suspension and single spoke steering wheel ?

Yes........that rides like sxxt, leaks oil, and has poor styling...........all at inflated prices.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting. Earlier "Peugeot has bought India's most iconic car brand from its maker Hindustan Motors ".  OTOH there is no mention of Chrysler. "The new company, to be called Stellantis, will produce 14 brands, from FCA's Fiat, Maserati and U.S.-focused Jeep, Dodge and Ram, to PSA's Peugeot, Citroen, Opel and DS."

BTW "DS Automobiles is a premium automotive marque founded in 2009, formerly part of Citroën, and since 2015 a standalone brand. All DS vehicles will be exclusively electric and hybrid in 2025."

All of our Citroens have been AMAZING cars-

fun and dependable, safe and serious drivers-

Especially the Maserati-engined CITROEN SM and the 6 different D and DS-21 and Pallas models,

but the little AMI-6 and the incrredible 2-CV just make me smile!

Our 1980 Fiat Strada was a very reasonable, comfortable 5-door hatchback, 

more refined than a VW Rabbit or Dodge Omni, and a lot more fun to drive

Our Peugeot 504 Diesel was more solid feeling than Fort Knox,

and Just about as fast,

but handled in thamazing French way with incomparable comfort while taking extreme high speed turns on 4 wheels and the door handles (like the 2-CV)

MoPar?

From Our '05 Sebring convertible to the '68 Town and Country 413 ci Wagon to dad's '57 Plymouth 301 ci V8 Savoy to my '60 & '64 Valiants,

and my wife's 318 ci '66 Dart GT convertible - neat toys with reasonable spirit

Our only JEEP experience was our daughter's Grand Cherokee 4-WD which had so many electrical gremlins, we dumped it in favor of a Ford Expedition which was worse, and finally got6 her into a fantastic series of Chevy Tahoe models. She is driving the '04, passing the most recent, a low mileage '01 to her son in grad school.

Me? I'll stick with My Suburban & Avalanche 8.1L 2500s, and the 7.3 Excursion Diesel

15 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The industry consolidation continues...just on a global scale now.

Funny how most (so called Americans) joke about this topic isn't it?

Glad we won't be here to see our great grand children speaking all those foreign languages and having zero products that true American patriots  can be proud of. Only a matter of time 

11 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Just seams so wrong, thinking of 1950's European cars and Chrysler HEMI's, never thought they would be under one corporate roof. 

Seams so wrong? It is horribly wrong where this is all headed... 

A European take over of any American brand or manufacturing will have negative consequences that last far beyond our imagination. 

The short term memory loss of far too many of our (so called) fellow countrymen have allowed such a thing to happen, and some even get pleasure in joking about it, even on a forum called Antique Automobiles of "America"... how sad.  

Once #2 in the country behind only the Ford brand, now to witness in our lifetime the Dodge brand destruction will be inevitable (if Horace and John could see it now...). 

Collect them Hellcats while you can. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, zepher said:

One can only dream of Chrysler products with Maserati engines.

In the 1970's the Lamborghini Espada was available with Chrysler automatic.  I could be wrong, but weren't some Maserati's in the 1980's available with automatic transmissions supplied by Chrysler.  I do know the Ferrari 400 used a GM automatic.

Craig

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

In the 1970's the Lamborghini Espada was available with Chrysler automatic.  I could be wrong, but weren't some Maserati's in the 1980's available with automatic transmissions supplied by Chrysler.  I do know the Ferrari 400 used a GM automatic.

Craig

That 727 torque flite was a D good tranny.

Ron

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Well back in the late 50s/early 60s Chryslers had French transmissions.

Yes, the Pont a-Mousson 4-speed box behind the Hemi in 1958?

3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Craig

Your examples are the the other way around.

The LeBaron/Maserati in the 80's and 90's had a Chrysler drivetrain.

I want a modern Chrysler with a Maserati engine.

3 hours ago, keithb7 said:

As time moves on and automobiles keep changing, my old '38 Plymouth seems to get better and better to me somehow.  

As does my 1930 Pontiac.

The other car in our garage is our third Hyundai and our second (but not last) Sonata, should we live long enough to need another car.

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

It and GM (!) Turbo HydraMatics were as good as it got in automatics. Efficient and near indestructible. Until the bean counters and their "good enough" mentality got a toehold anyway.

Let's discuss Turbo HydraMatic 200's, THM 125's, THM 325's, 440's.  and the list goes on and on and on.........  those in the know called them sludgamatics.

I got gray hair as a rep in the 80's over those transmissions.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Let's not!😃

Friend was a rep out of Rockville MD and said the same thing. The Appalachians wreaked havoc on those light-duty THMs.

I never understood HM Division's claim that they couldn't build a transmission that would stand up to a Turbo Buick. They made transmissions that stood up to big cube torque monster engines from all 5 passenger car Divisions and the light duty trucks.

Oh. 'Scuse. The financial guys wouldn't LET them build such. Cost too much.😬

Then the warranty claims started rolling in...

4 hours ago, zepher said:

Your examples are the the other way around.

The LeBaron/Maserati in the 80's and 90's had a Chrysler drivetrain.

I want a modern Chrysler with a Maserati engine.

I'm referring to long before Chrysler got involved in that partnership.  The third generation 1979 & later Quattroporte used a Chrysler HD automatic.  

The 1982 Road Test of the Modern Quattroporte's Great-Grandfather (caranddriver.com)

Craig

On 1/17/2021 at 3:30 PM, Tinindian said:

The other car in our garage is our third Hyundai and our second (but not last) Sonata, should we live long enough to need another car.

Never thought my wife and I would own an SUV and really never imagined owning a Korean built car, but three years ago we replaced my wife's VW Golf TDI with a Hyundai Tucsan, have driven 21,000 miles and only had to do oil and filter changes.  The TDI was great too, but we couldn't pass up the generous buy back dieselgate deal VW paid her for the car.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:50 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Funny how most (so called Americans) joke about this topic isn't it?

Glad we won't be here to see our great grand children speaking all those foreign languages and having zero products that true American patriots  can be proud of. Only a matter of time 

Seams so wrong? It is horribly wrong where this is all headed... 

A European take over of any American brand or manufacturing will have negative consequences that last far beyond our imagination. 

The short term memory loss of far too many of our (so called) fellow countrymen have allowed such a thing to happen, and some even get pleasure in joking about it, even on a forum called Antique Automobiles of "America"... how sad.  

Once #2 in the country behind only the Ford brand, now to witness in our lifetime the Dodge brand destruction will be inevitable (if Horace and John could see it now...). 

Collect them Hellcats while you can. 

Word..

Edited by car crazy (see edit history)

Heck, great, great, greats will have trouble with English (see the movie Idiocracy, great premise but terrible execution), only real difference from when growing up is cars are now from the far east rather than Europe (and I blame the NMSL for that).