Interesting decision this morning... what do I drive today?

edinmass

It’s time to exercise all the cars again. So what shall I take to breakfast today? Decisions, decisions................I’ll update with a photo when I finally choose......feeling rather sporty........so it’s gonna be something that spins fast.....

• Like 1

PB Roadster, again. 🙄

Heading to the shop in couple of minutes.

Starting her in 15-20.

On the road in 30-40.

Destination (route), ACH at +/- 8000 ft (in couple of hours).

See you all(?) up there.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

She’s idling and ready to rumble. (Tried to add brief video, but... ☹️)

Temp right now (at the shop) 42, expecting a drop to around 20 “up there”. Dress accordingly.

Take off in 3, 2, 1 ...

797BD24D-9ACA-4FDA-9E51-263D28F0466F.jpeg

• Like 2

I have been trying to buy one since 1987. When I had 30K, they went to 60k. When I had 75K they were selling for 200. When I had the 200k, they are selling for in the millions. They increased in value ten times faster than I could earn it. Such is the way of the working stiff. I get to drive other peoples........so it is a pretty good deal. The DV is truly a remarkable platform........add in interesting coachwork........and you have a BIG BOT TOY. I would even settle for a lumpy old factory sedan.....if it were a DV.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

A pic of the entire car would be appreciated. Looking down the hood is great but more eye candy is better. 

Unfortunately many cars I am not allowed to post photos............In the car world many owners are private, which is certainly understandable. 90 percent of what I work on is a “no photo” vehicle. I will post a photo of a nearly identical car.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

A pic of the entire car would be appreciated.

Here you go......same thing but different. Please don’t post photos of the actual car............or I will be unable to share things in the future. Thanks, Ed.

8C1EEB8A-3B3A-4179-A1E4-A3E19509347C.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SC38DLS said:

Ed I took the post down so as not to cause you any problem. Thanks for the ones you can post. 

No worries Dave.........all is good. 👍

The beauty of all of this era of cars is just amazing. Talent of design even if the function didn’t always match. Thanks for being so open to share what you have the privilege (thru years of hard work I’m sure) to work on and enjoy. 
dave s 

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Interesting decision this morning... what do I drive today?

Great day for an open car drive.........I have too many cars to road test over the next two weeks, so most of them will be ten miles or less. She pulled strong through 3800 rpm. Don’t like to push any harder than that. Ran fantastic. Only issue......very loud brake squeal the first few stops.........enough to make you cringe. Otherwise all was good. I first encountered this car back in 1989. So, it’s an old friend. For years it was a trailer queen.....bad steering box, bad clutch, and ignition issues.

We did the box over........giving it the total upgrade treatment........steers like it has power steering now. There were four new clutches installed over twenty years.....all done poorly. We got it, and the chatter was so bad that I immediately downed the car for repairs. It was the first job Phil and I did together. I found the problem in less than five minutes after we pulled the transmission. I removed the flywheel and serviced it properly, we relined the disk, and repaired the springs in the pressure plate. Assembled in the shop, and made initial adjustments. Shifts like a brand new car with synchro mesh. It’s that good. No double clutching. Little known fact, Pierce Arrow and Stutz use the same clutch set up from 1929-1933. I have done so many I lost count.  I removed the Buick distributor, and made one having an original to copy from George H.......the DV guru who has taught me everything Cadillac and Stutz. The car is lightning fast..........it’s not breathing till it’s doing fifty. While not as “brute strength” power as a Model J, it behaves like a well tuned Ferrari.........turns fast, pulls hard, and speed can get you into trouble before you realize it. A pure joy to drive. AJ has some miles on this car.......like fifty before I fixed it. So he may comment on it.

3E6E287A-D51F-4B41-8CFC-D4A9FC59237D.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This was as close a I came.......I was high bidder at a number I was happy with. Sometime after the sale (no sale- reserve not met.) someone doubled my offer, and bought it. It’s traded hands several times, and is now in a great collection being used and displayed. 

7F814B9D-ACF9-4B15-82A7-AFE1F38F4101.png

One last fact on the DV............even though it had been restored twice, when we purchased it, I could immediately tell it had carb problems. I was correct, it had the wrong carb on it.........typical half ass rebuild sone by some nit wit tractor mechanic. Ever try and locate a correct DV carb..........impossible. I called the usual people, they all had people waiting in line for a correct DV unit for multiple decades. Took me twelve days to find one...........the other boys were stepping on their tongues looking at it. Made all the difference in the world. Most cars with Stromberg carbs are NOT set up correctly.......like 90 percent, but just try and convince an owner to spend the money to make it right..........nearly impossible.

• Like 2

Well, that was fun (I apologize for thread hijack, Ed).

150 miles, 7K+ ft. elevation and 50+ degree temperature changes. 
ACH was closed at Vincent Gulch (pictured location at 5600 ft.), so I had to turn around and reroute to backway to Crestline via 138 to Lake Arrowhead and then down 18 to San Berdoo and home (to Riverside). 
Stopped in downtown for takeout of delicious BBQ pork ribs, which I just enjoyed with wheat beer.
Now relaxing in backyard with a good cigar and an “Eldorado” Margarita.

69116FB5-F4FA-4D10-AFC8-E744F088DCF5.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Driving out here. Picture taken about an hour ago.

IMG_20201213_164903179.jpg

While I packed chains this morning (first time this winter) and saw some of that "white stuff" in few places up in the mountains, roads were still clear of it.

Ed, You may reply or not as you wish. But I get curious what clutch problem you found in five minutes after removing the transmission?

Many years ago, on what I considered a modern vehicle (1960s Ford Pickup) I had bought to be a daily driver and work truck, it had a clutch that worked horribly badly. Too many things that needed too much attention, and I drove it that way (carefully?) for a few months. I speculated what was wrong, based upon its behavior, but what I suspected was believed to be IMPOSSIBLE. Those "tractor mechanics" you like to mention? I like that, and suspected basically that from the beginning. Some work had clearly been done to the truck, and everything surrounding the transmission and clutch was missing bolts (about one quarter of all bolts were missing!), along with loose bolts, misaligned or missing panels, and the usual dirty grease missing around edges and bolts with everything else having never been cleaned.

After those few months that I know I shouldn't have run it that much, the clutch practically exploded. The disk disintegrated and locked up the clutch. No problem. I had driven more miles with blown clutches than most people ever, finished out my work day,  and drove to the auto supply store. I bought the parts I knew I would need, and the next day, pulled the transmission out. I paid close attention to how the disc was installed, and sure enough, impossible or not, the disc had been installed backwards! Cushion springs do not function like they are supposed to when they are on the wrong side of the rotation and torque. Just for kicks and giggles, and to make sure what I was seeing, I tried to install the disc in backwards. I can't see how anyone that considers themselves to be a mechanic could do it? The center spline is offset a bunch! It does not want to go together on the wrong way. Somehow? It was in there backwards. I put it in right, found proper bolts and screws and even made a missing cover panel. Put over a half million miles on that truck! (NOT exaggerating!) I did have to replace the engine once.

The engine I reworked? Went over 340,000 miles with only routine servicing. I cannot say exactly how far it went, the speedometer quit working after 290,000 miles on my reworked engine. But all that is another story.

Ed, I am probably the second worst thread drift offender?

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Fossil said:

I hope they don't use salt in your neighborhood. 

Idaho grinds up people's dignity and self worth. Then it spreads that over the roads. Nice and course if you are a non believer in the conformity Kool aid.😆 Only collector car driving in the snow, that I noticed driving home. Started coming down around noon.

• Like 2

On a Long clutch, they have pins that support the pressure plate, and people often grind the flywheel but not the pins, Without correct pin height you get slipping and chattering,  thus a new installed and instantly screwed up clutch. On our car, they ground half the pins, causing the clutch plate to sit crooked about .08, when pulling the transmission and bell housing, I always measure the pins before I take the plate off. With that much difference, it was easy to figure out the chattering was caused by incorrect installation and rebuild. Remember, although it’s a Stutz........it’s identical to a Pierce, which I have done more than fifty clutches over the years, and add in about five other Stutz cars, and that Duesenberg Model J is identical except one inch larger in diameter.........but all Long clutch products.......you get good at servicing them, and fixing other peoples messes. I have done three repairs overseas........and, since G Long is a friend, and fellow Pierce Arrow owner, and a relative of the manufacturer.........we have these units down to a science. 

I have rebuilt clutches on the shelf in the shop right now for Pierce, Stutz, and Duesenberg. (All Long ten and eleven inch units.) That’s how many I work on.........R&R in one day. Easy........when you have everything on hand.

Very interesting, Ed, thank you. One of the cars I had and worked on years ago, had a blown transmission. Gears were badly beat up, and several teeth were missing off the cluster gear. When I got inside, I discovered that the clutch had been horribly maladjusted, same result. The pressure plate was crooked, and the clutch wouldn't release completely or properly engage smoothly. Hence chewing up the gears. I guess he didn't know how to do the no clutch shift thing I have had to do on a half dozen vehicles. I fixed the clutch, and found a replacement transmission.