Great day for a car ride in the country

Brass is Best

Beautiful almost autumn day here in PA. Warm sun, 80 degrees, low humidity and a gentle west breeze. Perfect day to take the convertible Vette out for an al fresco lunch and then a nice leisurely drive  on tree lined back country roads. We only pissed off one person, a guy on a rice rocket motorcycle. But at least we didn't get the one finger salute as he roared past us.

When you get an 82 year old gumper driving a 427 Vette, with a hot chick (80 yrs) riding shotgun, one never knows what to expect.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 9/17/2022 at 3:04 PM, TTR said:

Day 10, 1500+ miles covered, including a 30+ mile loop around Lake Quinault this morning.

Another 1500+ miles to go, but my wife is starting to get little tired of all the attention and delays it causes.

Day 16, 1900+ miles and the original objective, Olympic Nat’l Park with 2 days/nights around Lake Quinault, 2 days/nights at Kalaloch Beach, 3 days/nights around Lake Crescent (+ few hour excursion to Sol Duc Hot Springs) and small hikes at various rain forests, etc accomplished.

An odd minor car problem occurred yesterday and was a first for me in 40+ years. The distributor rotor broke for some undetermined reason, but I just replaced with a spare I carry (and bought replacement spare today in Olympia, WA), so the adventure continues…

Everyone, of all ages and walks of life, mostly fellow travelers and/or non-old car folks we encounter at every parking lot, rest stop, etc seems to be amazed, surprised and thrilled that we’re actually traveling in a 90 year old car with +/-70 year old mechanicals, no modern creature comforts and not going to/from some car show or event.

Half (or more) the drivers or their passengers traveling the opposite direction, especially in rural highway sections, appear gob smacked and/or giving us thumb up or hang loose hand signals from their open side windows.

P.S. Does anyone here know a garage/shop or an individual vintage car enthusiast with one somewhere near or between Yakima, WA, Bend, OR or Klamath Falls, OR who would be able/willing to help with an oil change (& disposal of old oil/filter) in next couple of days ?
I have the new oil and filter and willing to compensate for the assistance. Lift is not necessary, but a drain bucket and way to dispose would be nice.

P.P.S. Still the oldest car on the road.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Bills Auto Works said:

Damn Andy,

That car is beautiful & even though my tastes are more 55 up, this car makes me question what my next purchase will be! By the way....That looks to be in your driveway! LOL

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

It is, but I did take it for a nice drive. I just forgot to bring my camera.

• Like 1

Although last +/-700 miles included a use of Uhaul truck & trailer, due to another (still undetermined) poor running  issue which I wasn’t able to solve roadside, we just got back yesterday from what my wife* now coined as a “Legendary !” 23 day, +/-3400 mile road trip adventure vacation traveling with our ‘PB Roadster through California, Oregon & Washington. (

* She coined our 15 day, 2756 mile trip to Yellowstone five years ago with the same car “Epic !”

While my hopes/predictions for over $10.00 a gallon prices by the end of this year may not materialize, it got pretty close.

And yes, while she runs fine with Regular, I chose Premium so she could feel being treated special.

6E12A6E1-0691-458B-AB88-9851DE5F2552.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 10/1/2022 at 11:30 AM, TTR said:

Although last +/-700 miles included a use of Uhaul truck & trailer, due to another (still undetermined) poor running  issue which I wasn’t able to solve roadside, we just got back yesterday from what my wife* now coined as a “Legendary !” 23 day, +/-3400 mile road trip adventure vacation traveling with our ‘PB Roadster through California, Oregon & Washington. (

* She coined our 15 day, 2756 mile trip to Yellowstone five years ago with the same car “Epic !”

While my hopes/predictions for over $10.00 a gallon prices by the end of this year may not materialize, it got pretty close.

And yes, while she runs fine with Regular, I chose Premium so she could feel being treated special.

6E12A6E1-0691-458B-AB88-9851DE5F2552.jpeg

Please keep us informed .  I enjoy "problem solved" reports.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

This Sunday, 10/16/22 is the day for our annual Leaf Peepers Tour.  I've already emailed all the old car guys & gals in town for our ride in the country to see the leaves before they all hit the ground.   I have laid our a little 35 mile drive here in the Smokies, followed by a stop at the local Motor Ciity

Grill in downtown Franklin.  In a old dealership building decorated in a 50's diner style.  A fun annual event.748659395_LeafPeeperTour2018.jpg.10fd039981a479e065bf95c5922d7e28.jpg

• Like 1

Greetings all.  I do not visit this part of the AACA forums often and was not aware of this thread.  It is a wonderful topic, similar to the one shared down in the Buick part of the forums.  One of the Buick guys thought a recent post I made would be a decent  entry here and I hope you agree.  Rather than re post in it's entirety, I will just add this link to the one post I made.  I hope this takes you to it directly.  Thanks,  

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 11:35 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Please keep us informed .  I enjoy "problem solved" reports.

Ben

Ben, sorry to have taken so long to report back, but between shop full of client projects and this “problem” having turned out being likely (potentially) caused or at least contributed to by somewhat unusual number of multiple culprits, including carburetor, coil, distributor and possibly(?) compromised fuel, etc.

Now, after having inspected and serviced or replaced  all of them (one at a time as a proper process of elimination calls for) and also, while at it, servicing or replacing a few related components, like the fuel hoses & pump, which may have been compromised by the aforementioned possibly bad supply of fuel, making new ignition/plug wires, checking/cleaning variety of electrical contacts, etc, she’s now up and running like a young at heart, feisty old ballerina she’s always been for me. 😁

P.S. I recently ran across the bill of sale indicating I acquired her almost exactly 33 years ago.

P.P.S. If all goes well, our next planned adventures, while considerably shorter, both in distance and time, will include our annual "Welcoming of New Year" cruise through + sunrise hiking in Joshua Tree Nat'l Park on 1-1-23  and later in January, a few day trip to cruise through/explore/stay in Death Valley for couple of days and then spend couple of days/nights in Las Vegas (which I personally think of as one of the most annoying places on this plane, but my wife likes it 🙄 and they usually have enough single malts and other libations, etc around for me to tolerate it).

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Evey day, is a day for a drive in our old cars.

Darling. sweaty baby,Once you are home from your daily and or weekly work  grind,trash your modern car!

Use your collector car for gods sake and enjoy it. It should be   second nature if you are  a real enthusist.

Fix it ,polish it,restore it USE it baby!

• Like 1