Period images to relieve some of the stress

16 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

Is that a Loening amphibian?

That' a tuff call as Loening merged with Keystone and the plane was known as the Keyston XO2L but may have been built by Loening. 

The shot of the Bugatti is the only one of both a skier and a power-sliding race car I've ever seen. I know Romania had a GP race...did Norway ever have a Grand Prix? Wherever this is - not a lot of creature comforts in the Type 35 Bugatti!

B9A389FB-A425-412E-B517-63843A9BDF1B.png

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jeff_a said:

Wherever this is - not a lot of creature comforts in the Type 35 Bugatti!

Not a lot of rollover protection either. Ouch. 

6 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

^^^^^^ Wonder if the J is still with us, what coachwork is on it? Bob 

Its on page 152 in Fred Roe's book, credited to Willoughby, "apparently a one-off body, this car with unique moulding treatment has never been traced.  Variations of this moulding arrangement appear on several Willoughby bodies on Packards and Pierce-Arrows.".  It has the unusual molding that flies off from around the fender and wraps up around the rear of the body.    Notes also that: " Hollywood actor Frank Morgan was photographed with the car for tire company endorsements."

1 hour ago, twin6 said:

Photo of some used cars taken October 6, 1940.

October 6, 1940.jpg

I would buy that photo but Darrin is getting expensive and at 30 bucks with an active bidder it isn't that cool to me.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

^^^^^^ Wonder if the J is still with us, what coachwork is on it? Bob 

Car was cut up for parts in the 40's......... Ed

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Car was cut up for parts in the 40's......... Ed

I'll always wonder what the two J's looked like that survived WWII storage at Branchville Motors, Jim Hoe bought the pair for $750.00

The artwork of the taper tail two seater is from a plate from Cooper's Vehicle Journal in 1922 - this was a British publication that had excellent , choice coverage of coachwork on cars in the 1920s. Things like these plates were in many issues and could be removed and framed as they were loose inserts.

The very very long boat tail two door tourer is a Steyer , no information as to who designed or built the body. But if that tail section was filled with weighty luggage the car must have been interesting to handle on a road with lots of curves!

COOPERSvehiclejournalartwork001.jpg

SteyerTourerboattail001.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Walt G said:

The very very long boat tail two door tourer is a Steyer , no information as to who designed or built the body. But if that tail section was filled with weighty luggage the car must have been interesting to handle on a road with lots of curves!

SteyerTourerboattail001.jpg

1926-1927 Steyr Klausen Sport, factory body to my knowledge. The pointed tail section contained the fuel tank.

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

"1926-1927 Steyr Klausen Sport, factory body to my knowledge. The pointed tail section contained the fuel tank. "

Thank you Casper! If that tail section contained the fuel tank and the capacity was 15 - 20 gallons or more just imagine the weight of that many gallons sloshing around!

Walt

As promised here are a few more to start the day off - running  ( or running boards !😆😆)

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE STILL INTERESTED IN THIS THREAD AND ALL WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED IMAGES AND COMMENTS

DAIMLERmulliner001.jpg

LagondaV12001.jpg

Edited by Walt G
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The information on the two period photographs I posted earlier today : The touring car is a Daimler not sure of the model , note on the back of the photo says 25/85 not sure if that is correct. Body is by Mulliner.

The convertible victoria is a Lagonda V12 with coachwork by James Young.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed: 

What is the background history on that Stutz Blackhawk speedster photographed in the later 1930's?

No clue......just cool photos. Probably went to the scrap drives of WWII.

• Like 1

Pierce Arrow with Disteel Wheels as shown in the Disteel Wheel sales catalog in 1922. for the Ford enthusiasts here are two that have custom bodies , the touring car with the cape top  over the rear seat was built by Detroit Auto Products  Company who were located at 38 Sherman Street in Detroit, they noted that this car was "The touch of Distinction", "The Prestige of Class" , the car also was fitted with a "V" radiator sloping hood and several other items and features that were different from the normal product. The roadster was made in Louisville, Ky.  by the Mercury Body Company.  Price for the body alone was $200.00

Lots of obscure stuff in my archives. Hope all are enjoying this historical eye candy.

PIERCEarrow1921disteelwheels001.jpg

FORDsetroitBodytouring001.jpg

FORDmercuryBODY001.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Has this one already been posted? I can't search 243 pages to see.

cc4cb58f3547e68f7c19576d7002fd3b.jpg.e9f4bd7880af068b45dcb0d2c5fd91bc.jpg

Posted a bunch of times. A 1935 Duesenberg JN Rollston disappearing top roadster, later modified by B&S. Great cars to drive. One of the best two door Duesenbergs..........”the one to have.”

• Like 1