Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

The artwork of the taper tail two seater is from a plate from Cooper's Vehicle Journal in 1922 - this was a British publication that had excellent , choice coverage of coachwork on cars in the 1920s. Things like these plates were in many issues and could be removed and framed as they were loose inserts.

The very very long boat tail two door tourer is a Steyer , no information as to who designed or built the body. But if that tail section was filled with weighty luggage the car must have been interesting to handle on a road with lots of curves!

COOPERSvehiclejournalartwork001.jpg

SteyerTourerboattail001.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Walt G said:

The very very long boat tail two door tourer is a Steyer , no information as to who designed or built the body. But if that tail section was filled with weighty luggage the car must have been interesting to handle on a road with lots of curves!

SteyerTourerboattail001.jpg

1926-1927 Steyr Klausen Sport, factory body to my knowledge. The pointed tail section contained the fuel tank.

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

"1926-1927 Steyr Klausen Sport, factory body to my knowledge. The pointed tail section contained the fuel tank. "

Thank you Casper! If that tail section contained the fuel tank and the capacity was 15 - 20 gallons or more just imagine the weight of that many gallons sloshing around!

Walt

As promised here are a few more to start the day off - running  ( or running boards !😆😆)

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE STILL INTERESTED IN THIS THREAD AND ALL WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED IMAGES AND COMMENTS

DAIMLERmulliner001.jpg

LagondaV12001.jpg

Edited by Walt G
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The information on the two period photographs I posted earlier today : The touring car is a Daimler not sure of the model , note on the back of the photo says 25/85 not sure if that is correct. Body is by Mulliner.

The convertible victoria is a Lagonda V12 with coachwork by James Young.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed: 

What is the background history on that Stutz Blackhawk speedster photographed in the later 1930's?

No clue......just cool photos. Probably went to the scrap drives of WWII.

• Like 1

Pierce Arrow with Disteel Wheels as shown in the Disteel Wheel sales catalog in 1922. for the Ford enthusiasts here are two that have custom bodies , the touring car with the cape top  over the rear seat was built by Detroit Auto Products  Company who were located at 38 Sherman Street in Detroit, they noted that this car was "The touch of Distinction", "The Prestige of Class" , the car also was fitted with a "V" radiator sloping hood and several other items and features that were different from the normal product. The roadster was made in Louisville, Ky.  by the Mercury Body Company.  Price for the body alone was $200.00

Lots of obscure stuff in my archives. Hope all are enjoying this historical eye candy.

PIERCEarrow1921disteelwheels001.jpg

FORDsetroitBodytouring001.jpg

FORDmercuryBODY001.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Has this one already been posted? I can't search 243 pages to see.

cc4cb58f3547e68f7c19576d7002fd3b.jpg.e9f4bd7880af068b45dcb0d2c5fd91bc.jpg

Posted a bunch of times. A 1935 Duesenberg JN Rollston disappearing top roadster, later modified by B&S. Great cars to drive. One of the best two door Duesenbergs..........”the one to have.”

• Like 1

OK this thread says period Images, so I am including here two images out of the spiral bound, hard cover sales catalog issued, produced and printed in France for the 1932 Lincoln V8 and V12. this is just to make some of you aware that a fair number of American made cars paid to have sales catalogs, brochures, folders and magazines produced in Europe - Chrysler, Buick, Lincoln, Ford, Franklin, Hudson to name a few all pre WWII era. I have tried to add these when I can to my archives.

I know and have the 1931 and 1932 Lincoln color spiral bound catalogs in my collection , I learned they existed 40+ years ago and was able to trade to get the ones I have ( they were not for sale) SO here is something possibly different for those of you that like the odd and unusual.

Enjoy

Walt

Lincoln1932Frenchconv001.jpg

Lincoln1932Frenchsedan001.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Walt G said:

OK this thread says period Images, so I am including here two images out of the spiral bound, hard cover sales catalog issued, produced and printed in France for the 1932 Lincoln V8 and V12. this is just to make some of you aware that a fair number of American made cars paid to have sales catalogs, brochures, folders and magazines produced in Europe - Chrysler, Buick, Lincoln, Ford, Franklin, Hudson to name a few all pre WWII era. I have tried to add these when I can to my archives.

I know and have the 1931 and 1932 Lincoln color spiral bound catalogs in my collection , I learned they existed 40+ years ago and was able to trade to get the ones I have ( they were not for sale) SO here is something possibly different for those of you that like the odd and unusual.

Enjoy

Walt

Keep in mind, Graber in Switzerland, and Sodomka in Czechoslovakia bodied numerous American cars, as did Salmons & Sons in the U.K.

Craig

IMG_0836.JPG

Edited by 8E45E
Added Graber bodied Dodge. (see edit history)
  • Like 4

NAME THESE CARS!  This cropped photo was taken of the parking lot of Belmont Park race track in Elmont, long island , NY in May of 1942. I have cropped the original photo to get a larger view of some of the cars . There are about 20+ rows of cars abut half a mile wide. The back of the photo says" Getting the cars there must have made some very large holes in the gasoline ration cards of the owners" SO , what do you see here? 😇

BelmontPark1942001.jpg

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

Something a bit different than a Model T speedster.  The 1921 Heine-Velox, twelve cylinder engine, four wheel hydraulic brakes, and the dash panel equipped with a Radi-meter and a gasograph among other instruments.  The standard model of this California-produced car sold for up to $17,000, and special models up to $25,000.  Running those figures through an on-line inflation calculator, in year 2020 the $17,000 car would be $247,193.30, and the $25,000 car would be $363,519.55. 

21 Heine-Velox Twelve Sporting.JPG

• Like 1

This is a great Ford Model T speedster featuring a unique custom body with a hammered finish.  From the looks of it, this appears to be the perfect car for new drivers.  Any accidental dents in the car will simply add to the allure and mystique of the brand.

Ford T speedster.jpg

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

An M with modification in period attributed to Bohman and Swartz.   I remember 20 years ago this appeared for sale in the CCCA magazine and sold in about 3 days.

A picture of it today and the advertisement from 2006.   I would cut the windshield back to the prewar height.

1927 Stutz Boattail Speedster by Bohman and Schwartz at Amelia Island 2009  - a photo on Flickriver

StutzBohmandAndSchwartz2006.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

WOW! Amazing what a coat of black paint & read wheels can do. Is that a Holman car now? Bob 

No......Holman wouldn’t own a modified car............B&S usually means a BS story. Unless there is total documentation from day one, any speedster or modified car is “always a B & S” modification............as to the Stutz.......I have no clue about its history......but it isn’t how shall we say..........what I would expect it to look like from that shop..........any real proof of the history?

• Like 3