Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 10/17/2020 at 1:07 PM, John_Mereness said:

121627889_10159178599572189_6821047546098855165_n.jpg.bb6f994f6e75621d0b6933ba7cba33b9.jpg

This is the first time I have seen a Model-A Ford "from back in the day" with a side mount and a rear spare too.  I've seen more then a couple of restored A's set up like this.  I think it is kind'a goofy looking.  The only other time I've seen a set-up like this was a picture of a big late teens, early 20's speedster type car.  The car was sitting in a ditch, it must have run off the road, and had twin side mounts and double rear spares!  I believe the wheels were wooden spoke with de-mountable rims.  I know tire rubber wasn't that good of quality back then.  So the owner of the car I guess did not like the idea of splitting rims/changing tubes beside the road when he/she had a flat.

Capt. Harley😉

Strange looking late model Ford phaeton, probably European coachbuilt. Front end as 1937 US Ford, but suicide front door. Doors are also smaller than normal as they doesn't reach down to the running boards. Notice also whitewall tires! Standing in car is Éduard Daladier, Prime Minister in France at the outbreak of WWII.

Daladier .jpg

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

Is that a Loening amphibian?

That' a tuff call as Loening merged with Keystone and the plane was known as the Keyston XO2L but may have been built by Loening. 

6 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

^^^^^^ Wonder if the J is still with us, what coachwork is on it? Bob 

Its on page 152 in Fred Roe's book, credited to Willoughby, "apparently a one-off body, this car with unique moulding treatment has never been traced.  Variations of this moulding arrangement appear on several Willoughby bodies on Packards and Pierce-Arrows.".  It has the unusual molding that flies off from around the fender and wraps up around the rear of the body.    Notes also that: " Hollywood actor Frank Morgan was photographed with the car for tire company endorsements."

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

^^^^^^ Wonder if the J is still with us, what coachwork is on it? Bob 

Car was cut up for parts in the 40's......... Ed

• Thanks 1