Jump to content

Period images to relieve some of the stress


Recommended Posts

OK this thread says period Images, so I am including here two images out of the spiral bound, hard cover sales catalog issued, produced and printed in France for the 1932 Lincoln V8 and V12. this is just to make some of you aware that a fair number of American made cars paid to have sales catalogs, brochures, folders and magazines produced in Europe - Chrysler, Buick, Lincoln, Ford, Franklin, Hudson to name a few all pre WWII era. I have tried to add these when I can to my archives.

I know and have the 1931 and 1932 Lincoln color spiral bound catalogs in my collection , I learned they existed 40+ years ago and was able to trade to get the ones I have ( they were not for sale) SO here is something possibly different for those of you that like the odd and unusual.

Enjoy

Walt

Lincoln1932Frenchconv001.jpg

Lincoln1932Frenchsedan001.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Walt G said:

OK this thread says period Images, so I am including here two images out of the spiral bound, hard cover sales catalog issued, produced and printed in France for the 1932 Lincoln V8 and V12. this is just to make some of you aware that a fair number of American made cars paid to have sales catalogs, brochures, folders and magazines produced in Europe - Chrysler, Buick, Lincoln, Ford, Franklin, Hudson to name a few all pre WWII era. I have tried to add these when I can to my archives.

I know and have the 1931 and 1932 Lincoln color spiral bound catalogs in my collection , I learned they existed 40+ years ago and was able to trade to get the ones I have ( they were not for sale) SO here is something possibly different for those of you that like the odd and unusual.

Enjoy

Walt

 

 

Keep in mind, Graber in Switzerland, and Sodomka in Czechoslovakia bodied numerous American cars, as did Salmons & Sons in the U.K.

 

Craig

IMG_0836.JPG

Edited by 8E45E
Added Graber bodied Dodge. (see edit history)
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

NAME THESE CARS!  This cropped photo was taken of the parking lot of Belmont Park race track in Elmont, long island , NY in May of 1942. I have cropped the original photo to get a larger view of some of the cars . There are about 20+ rows of cars abut half a mile wide. The back of the photo says" Getting the cars there must have made some very large holes in the gasoline ration cards of the owners" SO , what do you see here? 😇

BelmontPark1942001.jpg

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Something a bit different than a Model T speedster.  The 1921 Heine-Velox, twelve cylinder engine, four wheel hydraulic brakes, and the dash panel equipped with a Radi-meter and a gasograph among other instruments.  The standard model of this California-produced car sold for up to $17,000, and special models up to $25,000.  Running those figures through an on-line inflation calculator, in year 2020 the $17,000 car would be $247,193.30, and the $25,000 car would be $363,519.55. 

21 Heine-Velox Twelve Sporting.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2020 at 9:32 AM, edinmass said:

16F5661C-17D1-4F61-9F87-E34199B5E4DA.png


An M with modification in period attributed to Bohman and Swartz.   I remember 20 years ago this appeared for sale in the CCCA magazine and sold in about 3 days.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great Ford Model T speedster featuring a unique custom body with a hammered finish.  From the looks of it, this appears to be the perfect car for new drivers.  Any accidental dents in the car will simply add to the allure and mystique of the brand.

Ford T speedster.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alsancle said:


An M with modification in period attributed to Bohman and Swartz.   I remember 20 years ago this appeared for sale in the CCCA magazine and sold in about 3 days.

 

A picture of it today and the advertisement from 2006.   I would cut the windshield back to the prewar height.

 

 

1927 Stutz Boattail Speedster by Bohman and Schwartz at Amelia Island 2009  - a photo on Flickriver

StutzBohmandAndSchwartz2006.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

WOW! Amazing what a coat of black paint & read wheels can do. Is that a Holman car now? Bob 


 

No......Holman wouldn’t own a modified car............B&S usually means a BS story. Unless there is total documentation from day one, any speedster or modified car is “always a B & S” modification............as to the Stutz.......I have no clue about its history......but it isn’t how shall we say..........what I would expect it to look like from that shop..........any real proof of the history?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... the pictures you posted clearly show it modified in period.

 

I tend to agree with the BS comment but I know nothing about this particular car other than the ad I posted.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2020 at 12:06 PM, twin6 said:

charge it.jpg

 

Great photo !

 

Here are a few other examples of the early electrics

 

Connectors and charging stations. One can clearly notice the similarities to todays connectors

17.jpg (Electrical World)

 

 

19.jpg

 

50.jpg

 

Carnegie.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2020 at 6:32 AM, edinmass said:

16F5661C-17D1-4F61-9F87-E34199B5E4DA.png

 

Am I the only one that had the thought :

 

I wish I was there when they shut her down for this photo... the sounds, the smell, and the raw scene from chaos to tranquility.... 

What a beast.

 

Great photo ! Truly a moment frozen in time

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK here is one for my friend who was in Mass. and is now in Fla. ( who has been paying attention to a White) , I know who the body builder and designer was and the year it was made as I have the sales catalog that this photo was in . ( there really should be a story done on the body builder , the large catalog is printed on coated stock paper so the images are very clear and it is 19 pages full of information and photographs of custom coachwork on all kinds of American and European chassis) .  So what are we looking at here? who was the body builder and what series is the chassis? Time for everyone to wake up and think about cars with running boards after days upon days of being beat up listening to election news .

DoNLEE1920PA001.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Walt G said:

OK here is one for my friend who was in Mass. and is now in Fla. ( who has been paying attention to a White) , I know who the body builder and designer was and the year it was made as I have the sales catalog that this photo was in . ( there really should be a story done on the body builder , the large catalog is printed on coated stock paper so the images are very clear and it is 19 pages full of information and photographs of custom coachwork on all kinds of American and European chassis) .  So what are we looking at here? who was the body builder and what series is the chassis? Time for everyone to wake up and think about cars with running boards after days upon days of being beat up listening to election news .

DoNLEE1920PA001.jpg

 

10hm149.jpg

10hm091.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary - the runnin boards be for one foot step and not even a whole foot man!  They look like a tray you get your hamburger or a chili dog served to you on when you go out for a gourmet meal if you are drive-n a Stu D. Baker race car. 🤣

Walt

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Gary - the runnin boards be for one foot step and not even a whole foot man!  They look like a tray you get your hamburger or a chili dog served to you on when you go out for a gourmet meal if you are drive-n a Stu D. Baker race car. 🤣

Walt

Depends on one's boot size!!

 

Craig

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pure shot in the dark........I’m going to say a 1918 38hp Body by Holbrook? Just a best guess.........My area of familiarity is Pierce 8 & 12 cars from 1929 to 1938, and I will admit some knowledge of cars that are left hand drive from 1921 to 1928. I have seen two similar cars.......with factory bodies, with similar steps and fender treatment,,,,,,that both were factory bodies. Looks like Rudge wire wheels.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Don Lee coach works it is , the catalog is dated 1920

Thanks Walt, The step-plates, splash fender, 'B'-pillar coach lamp and high tonneau belt-line appear on a Don Lee Cadillac town car pictured in the Lamm and Holls Styling history page 67.   It was a flash of recognition that sent me to the book shelf.   What Series is that Pierce-Arrow?  Being right hand drive I knew it would be 1920 or before but the smooth hood-through-cowl transition looks like the Leon Rubay styled Series 32.  It then occurred to me the hood could have been custom along with the body on a prior series.   Sometimes, one gets lucky...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know the series, that is for a P-A guy to let us know. You didn't get lucky , you thought about it, had good recall and a good library to refer to to make sure you remembered what you read and saw. That is what I do when I research and write a story. I hate to have to look something up twice so somehow have guided myself to remember "important" details and what things looked like 80 + years ago. I am reorganizing my files/archives and am amazed at what I haven't seen in 30 years. There is just so much material and images on vehicles of the WWI to WWII era that has not been see since it was published back when new. To get the story together to then share with others one has to get all the pieces together to get a true picture of what it was like. This goes for both the cars of the USA and the cars of Europe- plus European cars that were imported to here and cars from here that were sent to Europe. SO many really interesting stories , it makes you appreciate the cars and especially the people responsible for them even more.

Another run on answer!

Walt

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd call it a Series 51 (48 nominal hp) rather than a S31 (38 hp) because the top of the radiator is above the top of the headlights, but this applies to factory bodies.  142" wb for S51, 134" wb for S31, but the tires look out of scale (i.e., too small) for either.  This is a rendering rather than a photo, so there may be some artistic license, plus the hood and radiator height may have been raised by the coachbuilder to better blend with the cowl.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the original image in the catalog I think it is a photo of the actual car that was "enhanced" or made clearer by an artist who retouched a photograph before the catalog was printed. the whole image is not a rendering, no way to get wire wheels at that angle completely perfect. Reflection on the glass - yes, a retouch, same for sections of front fenders light highlights , rear fenders not retouched , shadow line under the car retouched absolutely. All lamps are not reworked nor is the top. Cowl, hood  and body only retouched  for shadow lines.

WG

Edited by Walt G
spelling correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No one has yet mentioned who the Don Lee coachworks designer was...so I will...Harley Earl!  He certainly was talented to make cars of that era look sporty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2020 at 1:45 PM, alsancle said:

 

 

My Uncle Ted's old car owned by Jim DeBickero of Illinois in the 1950s. 

 

540K article from DeBickero.jpg

I thought that the background looked like The Museum of Science and Industry on the south dide of Chicago

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...