Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 11/12/2020 at 9:11 AM, Walt G said:

8 months ago I started this thread hoping that it would give some of you something to look at and perhaps escape the stress of coping with a terrible health issue that has blanketed the world and brought the demise of so many people. In doing so it would allow us to escape to see the old vehicles we spend so much time with and enjoy the history of plus also  connect  us to life long friendships of fellow enthusiasts. We haven't been able to see a lot of our dear friends this year because of the lack of activities and I know for me that has been very sad indeed. Here are two items to add to the collection that may make some of you stay on the path of hope that one day our lives will return to the happy times of sharing our old used cars!  ( sorry I had to throw that in there!)

the Rolls Royce touring has a body by Connaught and the page is from a October 1929 Franklin Dealer's Bulletin that shows 5 custom body models that were to appear at the custom body salons that took place late in the year for the next years models/series of cars. These started in New York, then moved west to Chicago , San Francisco, and finally Los Angeles. 

Stay well all, hope we meet in person down the road , my sincere best to one and all. And very special thanks to AACA for letting this continue and all of you who have contributed.

Walt

RRCONNAUGHT001.jpg

Franklin6Bpodies001.jpg

I think the Locke Convertible Sedan was built in the 137 chassis. To me, that would be my Holy Grail car. I love the body style and the lines in general.  I can't help wondering if it still exists somewhere. Thanks for posting Walt.

Eric, when that page was printed in the Dealer's Bulletins in the end of October 1929 the new 1930 series 14 cars were just about being finished up to go in production. Sheet metal for the hood, shell etc was totally different from the 1929 series 13 cars.  Fenders similar in style but not an exact duplicate. I have only ever seen period Franklin material that indicated the Locke bodied conv. sedan was ever on the new series 14 chassis of 1930. I may have a photo of the Locke conv. sedan someplace ( not just artwork) but that may take a while to locate. If I do you will see it here. Locke did some very very fine design and builds of coach work, the Lincoln of that era , model L had the majority of their open body styles ( phaeton, roadster, conv coupes) built by Locke.  I am always happy to share when and what I can, hope to see some things I come up with go into future issues of the Air Cooled News of the Franklin club again after an absence of some years.

Walt

31 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Another Pierce workhorse.

P-A at Glen Cove  8-6-31.jpg

After their jobs ferrying sightseers up Pikes Peak, because of their reputation as a tough chassis, they were bought by the Rio Grande Sothern Railroad in the southwestern Colorado to covert to railbuses.

Galloping Goose - RGS RR.jpg

• Like 4

Definitely a full CCCA classic, note the custom accessory grille guard up front or is it a cow catcher guard?  We should look forward to those being reproduced now in stainless steel and see them on numerous cars at future concours. They would be especially useful on tours through bovine country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, alsancle said:

You waited 24 hours or it took you that long to find your wallet.  I almost bought it to hold it hostage.

Unlike some other people, I actually have a job and work. I didn’t have access to my eBay account at home, so I had to wait. As far as holding something hostage.........unless I’m mistaken I have two of your items here your rather attached too.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

After their jobs ferrying sightseers up Pikes Peak, because of their reputation as a tough chassis, they were bought by the Rio Grande Sothern Railroad in the southwestern Colorado to covert to railbuses.

Galloping Goose - RGS RR.jpg

The Pikes Peak photo is common, there was a fleet of twenty five Pierce Arrow’s from the Broadmore Hotel that hauled sightseers of the mountain road. Tens of thousands of photos were taken at the top of the hill, with a chalk board usually giving the date on the running board. Many, many cars from their fleet still survive, and are still being found. They would stamp their own car number on the frame horn to identify it in house. I had one of their cars in my garage for five years.

• Like 3

All years, all series, up till 1931 for open cars, closed cars after that. Open cars remained till after the war. They were built with special gearing in the rear ended and transmission for climbing. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

That P-A on Pike's Peak - say is that Ed in the back seat on the right side next to the Boopsie sisters of Boston? ( ya know Trixie Boopsie and Betty Boopsie)

Yup, that’s me in a seersucker suit..........except I would prefer a Series 36 with a one off body by LeBaron. Notice the date, car is a 1925 model, and it’s taken in 1931.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had my glasses on George. But the damn phone is so small I couldn’t tell. The size of the doors made me think it was a small car. If there’s no front brakes it must be a series 33.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

I had my glasses on George. But the damn phone is so small I couldn’t tell. The size of the doors made me think it was a small car. If there’s no front brakes it must be a series 33.

I was looking on the big screen.  The 40% coverage of louvers on the hood side panel says Series 33, plus I'm pretty sure they didn't use S80s.  Incidentally, S33 and S80 brake components are identical, which is why S80s stop so well.  Pierce also made retrofit kits to convert 2-wheel-brake S33s to 4-wheel brakes, so I have trouble understanding why this car hadn't been converted by 1931.  Going down the hill with a full load and 2-wheel brakes must have been exciting!

• Like 1

Great photos Ed. This is just a guess but I think the vessel is the USS Mayflower, the Presidential yacht. The date is 1917.

IMG_1914.thumb.jpg.1aee68f54f4312d02bb9593bd53bd491.jpg

It seems to have something to do with the visit of these two French officers, I presume War Heroes because both have the Croix de Guerre and the one on the right also has been decorated with the Legion of Honor.  Neither are senior officers and they could be aviators. In WWI the French aviation service did not have a specific uniform. Members wore the uniform of the branch of service they came from and these were frequently somewhat different. As the war progressed, and men joined from civilian life, they had no "old uniform" to wear and, because there was no official uniform, they could wear whatever uniform they liked best.

IMG_1913.thumb.jpg.8e8a4cf685259e91808d6bd501ffef41.jpg

This even will be recorded somewhere and some further digging will probably reveal who they were. Everyone in the background is in US uniform, including the drivers so we can be pretty sure they are in the US. One of the cars has a little two-flag device on the radiator cap with French and US flags.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I origionally listed this as Murphy........a more experienced eye suggested Judkins; which I am sure is correct....since he owns one! 

Thanks to my Sensei for putting me on the correct path!

.126900522_1116619475456975_6733967530527160272_o.thumb.jpg.5c715fcefbf18174f7fd4cce0315490e.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Great photos Ed. This is just a guess but I think the vessel is the USS Mayflower, the Presidential yacht. The date is 1917.

IMG_1914.thumb.jpg.1aee68f54f4312d02bb9593bd53bd491.jpg

It seems to have something to do with the visit of these two French officers, I presume War Heroes because both have the Croix de Guerre and the one on the right also has been decorated with the Legion of Honor.  Neither are senior officers and they could be aviators. In WWI the French aviation service did not have a specific uniform. Members wore the uniform of the branch of service they came from and these were frequently somewhat different. As the war progressed, and men joined from civilian life, they had no "old uniform" to wear and, because there was no official uniform, they could wear whatever uniform they liked best.

IMG_1913.thumb.jpg.8e8a4cf685259e91808d6bd501ffef41.jpg

This even will be recorded somewhere and some further digging will probably reveal who they were. Everyone in the background is in US uniform, including the drivers so we can be pretty sure they are in the US. One of the cars has a little two-flag device on the radiator cap with French and US flags.

Correct......I have the names somewhere, but just not at hand. 

37 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Angelo, thank you so much. Love the photos !!!, especially the one of the Isotta Fraschini town car with the Fleetwood body.

Walt

There is a caption on the back of the photo and if I remember correctly, it states the pictured woman is actress Nita Naldi and the IS town car is credited to Valentino's ownership.

7 minutes ago, Angelo VanBogart said:

There is a caption on the back of the photo and if I remember correctly, it states the pictured woman is actress Nita Naldi and the IS town car is credited to Valentino's ownership.

I do see a cobra on the radiator, Valentino's style.

Yes, the town car was bought by Valentino who also ordered a roadster by Fleetwood that is a famous car that has received a lot of press, repaint in non original colors etc BUT Valentino never took delivery of the roadster - he passed away before it was finished. So although ordered and built for him was never driven by him to my knowledge. That car was bought by a fellow who worked for I-F of New York and for decades was used by him to attend local car shows here on the western end of long island. Joe Gaeta lived in the Manorhaven section of Port Washington , NY and was a great guy. As a teenager I spoke to him often and he would ask me to sit and talk to him as no younger people even heard of an Isotta Fraschini ( nor really knew how to pronounce the cars name) . Joe fitted RR Phantom I or Ghost pedal pads to the clutch and brake pedals because ones with IF cast into them were not available and the original ones on the car dried out and fell off after 30+ years. So the car had RR pedal pads.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Walt, I found these two photos on a search for the Roadster. There was a maroon and silver Isotta Cabriolet from Long Island that used to come up to Ridgefield, think the owner was a postal worker. Last time I saw it it was jet black and on the lawn at Pebble Beach. 

Rudolph-Valentino-and-his-mid-1920s-Isotta-Fraschini-Town-Car-1080x606.jpg

Rudolph-Valentino-Tipo-8A-Isotta-Fraschini-760x696.jpg

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Angelo VanBogart said:

And here it is after a fender bender at a railroad crossing.

rudolph-valentino-10-photographs_1_f43a91a106736f051bf54269539f8c23.jpg

This photo just knocked off 25 percent at the auction next time it goes up for sale...........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ed, can agree BUT that won't happen if the sign in front of the car goes along with the car at the auction along with an authentic period signed letter from one of Mr. Valentino's paramours that the fancy clothing undergarments found buried/lodged in the rear armrest were indeed part of the cars heritage .... hey we are talking about automotive history here!

• Haha 1