Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Women in manufacturing was more than cheap labor during the Great War. Production had to be ramped up for the war effort at the same time much of the labor force was being sent off to war. Unlike World War II, women workers were mostly sent back to their "domestic duties" after the earlier war ended.

As for the serious health effects of soldering? Those weren't fully understood yet in those days. And even today, they are not taken seriously enough. Just how much lead is carried in soldering smoke? I don't think it has been carefully studied? I would doubt that much actual lead is carried in the smoke. However, I do take care with ventilation,  and usually keep the air flowing the smoke away from me. The bigger danger is getting lead residue on one's hands, and then ingesting that. Then and now, some sensible care should be taken. I have done soldering my whole life (well, at least since I was eight!). I have made thousands of circuit boards for emerging technologies (my dad was a cable television pioneer). Repaired my first radiator by the time I was twelve, and a fair number of them since (been working on one for my '15 model T for the past week!). I also serviced and repaired another couple thousand circuit boards building and repairing communications systems for about thirty years. If I start (?) acting strange? Maybe that will be my excuse?

Most toxic lead poisoning has been through ingestion, not breathing. Still, some care NEEDS to be taken! Enough breathing of vapors can become a serious health risk if some steps are not taken.

• Like 5

More road construction......all cars are White steamers....1904-1906, before you had union road builders.......you had convict labor.

Sorry about the quality of the photos......but they are worth looking at.

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

This photo was taken in late 1929. Interesting they are using real steam rollers at that time......probably city owned although they may have belonged to the GC, and kept in service till the war. The only reason to take them out of service was a lack of boiler men available to run them.

IMG_1104.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Cole said:

Most expensive kind of hood ornament.

73365c392dc1c7d79f0c4e630ca42c73.jpg

I would like to have both the ornament and the car in my possession, in that order. The ornament could fit other cars in my collection, and even it it didn't fit well would be a joy to have about close by to admire .

• Like 3

Something tells me, she was dating a guy who drove something more expensive than a Chevy! Defiantly a high maintenance young lady!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

During the late '20's / early '30's, these dancing nymphs around new cars were popular.

'32 Nash Ambassador promo photo by Asahel Curtis.jpg

I wonder if the AACA judging standards team is contemplating a similar performance for the annual Elegance at Hershey event, or perhaps the senior cars to be judged at Hershey next October. Add this to the special ornament  lady shown earlier .  What a great way to have a grand opening for the new AACA headquarters as well.

• Like 4

I have a bunch of photos, that if posted here, would get me a permanent suspension.......all from the era......mostly out of France. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

More road construction......all cars are White steamers....1904-1906, before you had union road builders.......you had convict labor.

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

The White in the picture with the people In stripes is a model GA,    G for gas A for first model  1909 to 1912. Truck in next picture is not a White.

I knew the truck was not a White, I commented just the cars. The GA was labeled as a steamer car......I claim no expertise on White cars, except the later series Dual Valve. Thanks for the correction. I have a huge archive of White cars and truck stuff from day one to 1943.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

I think the top one with the Convict labor is a gas model White,

not a steam model.

Greg

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

I wonder if the AACA judging standards team is contemplating a similar performance for the annual Elegance at Hershey event, or perhaps the senior cars to be judged at Hershey next October. Add this to the special ornament  lady shown earlier .  What a great way to have a grand opening for the new AACA headquarters as well.

I think the young ladies would be a little older now and probably would say that is just too politically incorrect! 

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2020 at 1:55 AM, 8E45E said:

Ford Consul 315.

The hardtop was the cool looking Capri.

Craig

Cheers

think the saloon was badged ‘classic’ in the Uk , didn’t see many  capris liked them though  , however had a 3.0s in the seventies beast of a car  apple green , deck chair striped seats !

2 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Cheers

think the saloon was badged ‘classic’ in the Uk , didn’t see many  capris liked them though  , however had a 3.0s in the seventies beast of a car  apple green , deck chair striped seats !

I had 62 Consul Classic 315 sedan.  It had a reverse slope rear window like Mercurys of the period.  The result was a huge trunk.  I carried a spare engine and transmission for my 27 Dictator home in that trunk.

Thanks Bob, I thought I may be the only one that noticed this , but recently under another topic was taken to task about being not fair in my comment so have refrained for the most part from further participation in anything here , contribution or comment wise. If I stated lets get back on topic for the era as well as subject someone will be highly offended.

Here's a still from the 1937 film "She Asked for It." Could never figure out exactly what brand of roadster is meeting its demise, but it's big. Packard, perhaps? Or a Hollywood combination of parts made to resemble a Packard?

PackarddemiseC.jpg

Edited by Angelo VanBogart
wording (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Walt G said:

Thanks Bob, I thought I may be the only one that noticed this , but recently under another topic was taken to task about being not fair in my comment so have refrained for the most part from further participation in anything here , contribution or comment wise. If I stated lets get back on topic for the era as well as subject someone will be highly offended.

This topic was started to RELIEVE stress, not start it, bothers me that some people lack the ability to read. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Angelo VanBogart said:

Here's a still from the 1937 film "She Asked for It." Could never figure out exactly what brand of roadster is meeting its demise, but it's big. Packard, perhaps? Or a Hollywood combination of parts made to resemble a Packard?

PackarddemiseC.jpg

Looks like a '30 Packard to me. I noticed that nobody appears to be behind the wheel.  But what is it for sure? A waste of a good car. 

• Like 2

Looks like a roughly 1930 Packard roadster. So in a 1937 film it would have been an outdated seven year old car. If abused and or damaged, Its value would have been very low at that time.

I have recently been sorting through a few hundred "lost" harvested from the internet photos. So how about a couple 1907/'08 Ford model K touring car pictures?

0708FordKtouringtrees.jpg

0708FordKtouring.jpg

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, ericmac said:

Looks like a '30 Packard to me. I noticed that nobody appears to be behind the wheel.  But what is it for sure? A waste of a good car. 

Agreed on wheels and radiator shell but that windshield sure looks CG to me.   Maybe a put together pile of parts to send off a cliff?

21 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Agreed on wheels and radiator shell but that windshield sure looks CG to me.   Maybe a put together pile of parts to send off a cliff?

I don't think you mean "computer generated"? It does have a decidedly Chrysler look to it. I zoomed into the photo a bit. It could be a mock-up, but looks like a Packard to me. Hollywood then and now did some really good mock-ups for crash scenes. They also crashed a lot of patched up heavily used cars. I also noticed that the front bumper appears rather stout.

How about another Ford K shot?

1906modelKfront.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

^^^^ Like those front fenders on the K, any side shots? 

I know that is a different K than the two previous photos. It was identified by a previous source as being a 1906 model. Although I would probably have immediately assumed (love the spelling and meaning of that word!) it to have been a 1907. Sidelamps varied on those cars as with most cars of the era. The radiator is of the later style as used in 1907/'08, however that change was made mid-year 1906. The fenders do suggest a 1906 model. I don't have a ready 1906 side view at the moment, but one could probably be found online. I should go look.

Attached is a very special photo for me. Many of you know I consider myself a "Model T guy". The 26 Fordor I am restoring was my father's first car. What I didn't know was my grandfather also enjoyed Model Ts. Here he is circa 1920 behind the wheel of a T Speedster.  MacleodPeople2dollar017.thumb.jpg.62f146df4d977696dc459958b3bc2dc0.jpg