Period images to relieve some of the stress

As Walt noted about the wood spoke wheels, it was not uncommon to have 12-spoke wheels on the rear and 10-spoke wheels on the front.  I have not found any historical design criteria for having 12-spoke wheels at the rear of a car.  It was not universally done.  Many period photos of cars show 10-spoke wheels front and back, but there are enough photos showing 10 front and 12 rear.  Presumably it was up to the car manufacturer how they designed and produced their machines.  I am guessing here, but perhaps the car designer/producer estimated that three passengers in the rear compartment warranted a more heavily built wood spoke wheel.  However, since the engine compartment weight is carried mostly by the front 10-spoke wheels, I hardly think that the weight of three average adults in the rear seat would greatly exceed 10-spoke wheels.

The unidentified flappy object near the radiator cap on the Peerless possibly is a small flag and a pennant flappy in the breeze.  The possible pennant strongly resembles things I saw in Austria Germany's Bavaria.  The two vertical stripes of color may represent the Austrian colors, if it is red and white.  However it could be Bavarian and therefore blue and white.

Regarding the wheel subject.  The front wheels on my former 1920 Buick had 12 spokes front and rear, however the rear spokes were seriously strong when compared with the front spokes.  I have looked at a lot of Buick wheels trying to understand the how and why for the spoke configuration on a K-45 touring car.  After wading through a lot of Buick photos, a 1926 Buick Master Six Brougham Sedan surfaced, and thereby a similar set of 12-spoke wheels.  The pictured '26 Buick and my '20 Buick touring are the only Buicks I have come across with wheels like this.  The "why" of the question is still not answered.

Peerless.png

19040343 L-F 32x6.JPG

19040348 R-R 32x6.JPG

26 Buick Master Six Brougham Sedan 01-03.jpg

26 Buick Master Six Brougham Sedan 02-03.jpg

26 Buick Master Six Brougham Sedan 03-03.jpg

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

The "why" question about 12 spokes on the rear could have been for more torque than 10 spokes.

I have to believe this is the case. Remember, they didn't have any computers or finite element analysis to know how strong to make things, they were all flying on instinct when building these cars. The attitude was that if there was a concern, make it bigger and stronger so it wouldn't break. Would a 6-cylinder Buick have enough torque to break spokes? Unlikely. Were they able to conceive of a situation in which it might? Sure. Therefore, bigger spokes. QED.

Yes, more torque ( thanks Keiser) , plus the weight of the rear seat passengers and the loaded trunk and /or rear spare(s) all factor into the equation that the engineers at the factory took into consideration. Keep in mind the conditions of most of the roads in that era - they were built for travel by wagons that were horse drawn, not nicely paved with banked curves etc.  The paved and banked roads did exist and the privately owned  Long Island Motor Parkway was one of the best examples of a modern "highway" as we now know it. It was a toll road that ran right down the middle of long island . It opened in 1907!  More historical information  on that go to Vanderbiltcupraces.com .

Walt

The "why" question about 12 spokes on the rear could have been for more torque than 10 spokes.

That may well be true, keiser31.  My '20 Buick with the monster spokes at the rear end was apparently used as a tractor or towing vehicle in the late stage of its life.  The left-rear axle housing had been broken and welded at least two times, and there were two home-made "brackets" bolted to the rear axle that provided attachment for something.  One of the brackets was bent and partially split.  When I opened the rear end I found a number of gear teeth were chipped and broken.  For all the strain / torque forced on this Buick somehow the wood wheel spokes survived.

19081205.JPG

19081204.JPG

19090302.JPG

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, George Cole said:

Women welders at Lincoln Motor Company 1918.

Women Welders at Lincoln Motor Company in 1918.jpg

They are actually soldering........Liberty aircraft cylinder water jackets on to the castings. A difficult and tedious job........there was a reason they hired women to do this process........but it was not how shall we say reasonable or politically correct.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

They are actually soldering........Liberty aircraft cylinder water jackets on to the castings. A difficult and tedious job........there was a reason they hired women to do this process........but it was not how shall we say reasonable or politically correct.

Cheap labor...but the high lead content in the solder and gases from the process...well.

Women in manufacturing was more than cheap labor during the Great War. Production had to be ramped up for the war effort at the same time much of the labor force was being sent off to war. Unlike World War II, women workers were mostly sent back to their "domestic duties" after the earlier war ended.

As for the serious health effects of soldering? Those weren't fully understood yet in those days. And even today, they are not taken seriously enough. Just how much lead is carried in soldering smoke? I don't think it has been carefully studied? I would doubt that much actual lead is carried in the smoke. However, I do take care with ventilation,  and usually keep the air flowing the smoke away from me. The bigger danger is getting lead residue on one's hands, and then ingesting that. Then and now, some sensible care should be taken. I have done soldering my whole life (well, at least since I was eight!). I have made thousands of circuit boards for emerging technologies (my dad was a cable television pioneer). Repaired my first radiator by the time I was twelve, and a fair number of them since (been working on one for my '15 model T for the past week!). I also serviced and repaired another couple thousand circuit boards building and repairing communications systems for about thirty years. If I start (?) acting strange? Maybe that will be my excuse?

Most toxic lead poisoning has been through ingestion, not breathing. Still, some care NEEDS to be taken! Enough breathing of vapors can become a serious health risk if some steps are not taken.

• Like 5

More road construction......all cars are White steamers....1904-1906, before you had union road builders.......you had convict labor.

Sorry about the quality of the photos......but they are worth looking at.

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

• Like 3

This photo was taken in late 1929. Interesting they are using real steam rollers at that time......probably city owned although they may have belonged to the GC, and kept in service till the war. The only reason to take them out of service was a lack of boiler men available to run them.

IMG_1104.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, George Cole said:

Most expensive kind of hood ornament.

73365c392dc1c7d79f0c4e630ca42c73.jpg

I would like to have both the ornament and the car in my possession, in that order. The ornament could fit other cars in my collection, and even it it didn't fit well would be a joy to have about close by to admire .

• Like 3

It's just great that a bevy of dance academy students could help promote the 1932 Nash...and go all the way up to Mt. Rainier National Park for the photo shoot. I've been to that spot but do not recall any of that going on.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

During the late '20's / early '30's, these dancing nymphs around new cars were popular.

'32 Nash Ambassador promo photo by Asahel Curtis.jpg

I wonder if the AACA judging standards team is contemplating a similar performance for the annual Elegance at Hershey event, or perhaps the senior cars to be judged at Hershey next October. Add this to the special ornament  lady shown earlier .  What a great way to have a grand opening for the new AACA headquarters as well.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, edinmass said:

More road construction......all cars are White steamers....1904-1906, before you had union road builders.......you had convict labor.

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

The White in the picture with the people In stripes is a model GA,    G for gas A for first model  1909 to 1912. Truck in next picture is not a White.

I knew the truck was not a White, I commented just the cars. The GA was labeled as a steamer car......I claim no expertise on White cars, except the later series Dual Valve. Thanks for the correction. I have a huge archive of White cars and truck stuff from day one to 1943.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, edinmass said:

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

I think the top one with the Convict labor is a gas model White,

not a steam model.

Greg