Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

17 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Ahead of it's time?

image.png.a5b20eb07da7fcaeb0da35e08c55ef86.png

image.png.10be631f19e08ef8947c6429eeb38422.png

image.png.baddbf36c9b9baf1b3064b065a219c2d.png

What is that storage area behind the spare wheel? Is it European made? Very interesting car! 

Edited by JRA (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

They look to be Fiats. They are the Type 55 with the 9 litre four cylinder engine. Maybe the location is the Poughkeepsie factory??

image.png

Definitely the Poughkeepsie Factory. Home Depot sits there now and Marist College is across the highway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great additions to this thread continue to be made and thus enjoyed by many. Thanks to all of you! Thanks to Tom for the great images!!

I am fascinated by the oval stirrup shaped exterior door handles as seen on the Bugatti, it is a style and part carried over from horse drawn carriages up into the early 1930s. My 1930 Packard touring has them fitted as well and they were mostly used on enclosed motor vehicles , many town cars had them on the rear doors.  A significant styling item of note that was as mentioned the connection from horse drawn to motor car. I bought a number of them from Rich "the Handleman" at Hershey that he brought to me by request and will spend the winter cleaning and polishing them up. My Christmas present from me to me. Thanks again Rich!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Fifth Avenue and 44th St, NYC, in the teens. Maybe a big Oldsmobile at left, 110811 might be a Fiat, and to its left rear maybe an Abbott-Detroit.

405987, hard to say but those windshield brackets must be a clue.

NYC 5th and 44th.jpg

On the left is a 1912 Locomobile.   On the right , with the unusual brackets is probably a 1912 Chalmers, and the car following the Chalmers is a Simplex.   I was just in this area on old automobile row on Broadway looking for dealership buildings and saw Locomobile, Demarest body building, and a few others.  Neat to see. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Bob McAnlis said:

On the left is a 1912 Locomobile.   On the right , with the unusual brackets is probably a 1912 Chalmers, and the car following the Chalmers is a Simplex.   I was just in this area on old automobile row on Broadway looking for dealership buildings and saw Locomobile, Demarest body building, and a few others.  Neat to see. 

Simplex in the center.

• Like 1

TH-Factory-1.jpg.78e393c18cf07d8dd366c36aeb571005.jpg

The Teetor Hartley Motor Corp in Hagerstown Indiana.  The company was originally named the Light Inspection Car Company.  Before they supplied engines to the auto industry they built railroad inspection cars.  They supplied engines to America, McFarlan, Pilot and other auto makers.  The engine business was later sold and they became the Perfect Circle Company and specialized in piston rings.  

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Bob McAnlis said:

I was just in this area on old automobile row on Broadway looking for dealership buildings and saw Locomobile, Demarest body building, and a few others.  Neat to see. 

Bob,  I too have looked for former automotive related buildings in Manhattan! Many survive and some not to terribly altered . The Rollston/Rollson coach builders building was Toyota of Manhattan ( may still be) and the Hispano Suiza sales showroom was not altered as of a decade ago. I have a listing of street addresses here someplace of many of the pre WWII locations of car dealership showrooms. It would make a good "walking tour" for car enthusiasts at some time., with an effort made to try to find photos of the buildings when they were car showrooms and thus compare to today.

There was an auto parts store ( accessories) in the south lobby of the Waldorf Astoria hotel! Name was Nil Melior. ( means none finer) I wrote a story about that a while ago.

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I had lots of information exchanged when/while that Locomobile dual cowl with the cape top was being restored.  I have collected Locomobile material of the WWI to 1929 era for decades, factory portfolios for sales as well as the dealers hardbound album for 1920 that was made for Hare's Motors located just west of Central Park South and Columbus Circle, the 59th Street area in New York City.

J. Frank de Causse was the manager of the Locomobile design department ( I did a biography for Automobile Quarterly on de Causse  about 40 years ago) .

I have had "in the works" for a little while a story on Locomobile of the era mentioned focusing on the coach work.  Just so many great period photographs/ images/artwork.

Yes, Locomobiles of that era are one of my favorite cars .

• Like 4