Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

52 minutes ago, edinmass said:

It’s much smaller than a truck chassis……especially the wheels and hubs………the wheel bearings are much smaller than the 1917. So far I have personally inspected three 30 hp cars one 13 and two 15’s. It’s not a 30 chassis. (Early on I thought it was) I have seen two 45hp cars………both 1916’s. The front and rear end are not 45’s and neither is the steering box/wheel. I’m supposed to go see two 60 hp cars (in line six) in the next six to eight weeks.  One is a 13 and the other is a 16. Really don’t know what to expect till I get my hands on them…….but they have bigger tires and hubs than this car……….to be honest……I think this is a bunch of parts tossed together at the factory………the other dual plug car was unavailable to me when I went to look at it last week due to a family emergency. That car has the same fuel system, wheel and box, dual plug head. The funny headlights on the car were patented in 1913 and fist installed in mid 1914 from  what I have seen……but there are no less than five different electric headlights that are unique to white from 14 to 18 and no consistent install dates on them. The entire car is much smaller than my 17….. Buick size ……..it almost looks like a mid range priced/size car compared to the 17 which is basically similar in size to a Crane, Winton, Pierce or similar car. Body construction isn’t as good as the Rubay body……….windshield is smaller than the 1917 but very similar. Measuring the windshield compared to the 1916 30 it was larger. 

The wheels on this car are  1914 Goodyear’s that were last made in March/April(so I have been told), and are different construction than the 1917 wheels. The 17 is the flanged inner with a ring and lock ring on the outside…..the more modern version of the ‘straight sidewall’ style tire while the small car has the two reversible rings and lock ring to go either clincher or straight wall. So maybe truck wheels from 1915 as the truck reference is the only 24 inch wheel reference I have ever seen for a White vehicle…….all the car info shows no 24 inch except 1914 40hp chassis…………the listing above for trucks sure reads like Firestone rims. The small car has Goodyear rims. 

Then there is the possibility it’s a “estate car/truck” chassis with a car body instead of the multi purpose bodies they were building. Is there any material that is exclusive to the estate built lines? I have posted the advertisements for them, but haven’t seen anything else on them. 

Ed, no disrespect intended as this is an interesting debate. Would it be better if you moved the whole thing (maybe copy and paste each comment???) to another thread where it would be much easier for the rest of us to follow? Maybe even write up as an article.

Thought we were on the White thread……sorry Walt……didn’t mean to get this posted here……..

• Like 2

I found these old photos on the wall of the Jumbo supermarket in Wassenaar (The Hague), Netherlands today. Let’s see if anyone can identify the vehicles. I included a bonus photo of a more modern 2seater sports car that won’t be easy. The clock starts now…

BC8BF67E-C57E-4862-AFB4-BBE010CDDEC8.jpeg.5a76088aabd88b6caf56735edfd9673b.jpeg

98058FEE-BD40-4FF6-B753-AF88AEEABDB6.jpeg.4c4eabfc6b9393c7d187a7ad557f69f9.jpeg

65E4C1F6-85CE-4A21-B505-E31E04846665.jpeg.9ab18f3be7677165fb90f6c7b8050a99.jpeg

Ever seen one of these?

6 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

I found these old photos on the wall of the Jumbo supermarket in Wassenaar (The Hague), Netherlands today. Let’s see if anyone can identify the vehicles. I included a bonus photo of a more modern 2seater sports car that won’t be easy. The clock starts now…

BC8BF67E-C57E-4862-AFB4-BBE010CDDEC8.jpeg.5a76088aabd88b6caf56735edfd9673b.jpeg

65E4C1F6-85CE-4A21-B505-E31E04846665.jpeg.9ab18f3be7677165fb90f6c7b8050a99.jpeg

Ever seen one of these?

The top truck is a WW2 era Austin K series. It may have begun life as a Austin K2/Y military ambulance. The second one used to be a Ford.

14 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Believe it or not? Underneath that European body and odd radiator is a model T Ford!

In addition to Canada, and England at that time, there was a Ford assembly plant in I believe it was the Netherlands. The assembled Ford chassis and sometimes supplied some rather interesting bodywork.

I can see the model T pan and wishbone hiding under there. and looking close, a few other minor details.

Great information about South Figureoa St. thank you. I know this street and some surrounding streets were the automotive dealers /locations in the 1920s/30s and are all listed in the auto show and salon programs of that era as to make and street number. Wonderful stuff makes the history so much more meaningful for me to see a picture of a location now if the original structures are still in existence.

• Like 1

German actor Conrad Veidt. From a read of his wiki page he was an interesting character who led a very full life until his death at just 50.

Whether the car is identifiable I don't know. The manner in which the leather seats are formed, and the centre divider, may be clues.

May be an image of 1 person

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

The cars are pre WW2 but the the pic might be just post WW2. Does anyone recognise the venue?

I am thinking maybe Kissel for the closest one and Stutz for the dark colour one next to it.

May be an image of 3 people, people standing and car

All - The car in the foreground is definitely a Kissel Gold Bug Speedster, likely a six cylinder model from 1927 or 1928, judging from the tire size. The 8 cylinder cars had a longer wheelbase than the 6’s, and this one appears short to me. The fenders are late twenties style. 
Ron Hausmann P.E.

1 hour ago, ron hausmann said:

All - The car in the foreground is definitely a Kissel Gold Bug Speedster, likely a six cylinder model from 1927 or 1928, judging from the tire size. The 8 cylinder cars had a longer wheelbase than the 6’s, and this one appears short to me. The fenders are late twenties style. 
Ron Hausmann P.E.

Ron, Could this be the same car that was green and white in the Harrah collection back in the 1970's?

Portland, Oregon, presumably 1937. An interesting mix of vehicles. The circa 1929 car at far left - Reo maybe? Looks to be a 1936 Plymouth PT with the van body? Behind the Graham is a 'step roof' Dodge. The truck in the middle I don't recognise but I see a 1935-36 Ford behind it. Also an Airflow and a junior Packard.

20s autos K Sparks Portland Or.jpg

20s autos K Sparks Portland Or (2).jpg

20s autos K Sparks Portland Or (3).jpg

• Like 2

These two pics were posted on a facebook page.

sag Norma sedan.jpg

sag Norma sedan info.jpg

I had never heard of The Oriental Motor magazine but there is some of it available as a CD-ROM - Amazon - The Oriental Motor Magazine 1920-1921: THA New Media LLC: 9780384940703: Books

I did wonder if there was a connection to the Shanghai Horse Bazaar and Motor Co but maybe not - 

The Shanghai Horse Bazaar and Motor Company Limited | ChinaCarHistory

On 6/19/2022 at 6:59 PM, ron hausmann said:

Ron Hausmann P.E.

Car on the far right is our PII Rolls. The car behind the Gold Bug is a Packard speedster.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 6:25 PM, nzcarnerd said:

One I have not seen before. No info other than what is on the photo. Note the rotary engine. Maybe the steering wheel is on the other side?

May be an image of 3 people and outdoors

I THINK THAT IS THE WWI FRENCH AIRCRAFT ENGINE THAT HAS THE STATIONARY CRANKSHAFT.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:25 PM, nzcarnerd said:

One I have not seen before. No info other than what is on the photo. Note the rotary engine. Maybe the steering wheel is on the other side?

May be an image of 3 people and outdoors

I found some more on this one. Seems it was built by Emile Dewoitine, who went into aircraft manufacture in 1920, during his time with the French military, in 1913, in the Biskra area of Algeria. No information on how successful it was or its fate.

Production - From Dewoitine to AIRBUS (aerotheque.com)

290008049_5038377049615246_7366271389464023043_n.jpg

290080126_5038373762948908_3482717696818325569_n.jpg

DEWOITINE-AEROSABLEx993.jpg