Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Steve, Thank you for the HUDSON photo, it turned out very well , some colorizing doesn't. The car is the Ira Vail Factory team car thar raced in the INDY 500 1919 and finished in 8th place. If someone has the time, go through SPEED AGE magazines from 1950 on back and there is a photo in the letters to the editor section, it turned up on a used car lot in Philadelphia. D. Cameron Peck bought it and it was featured in an early issue of Antique Automobile, Lindley Bothwell was the next owner, he sold it to Bill Harrah. It was in a Harrah auction and I could have bought it for $23,500 ( reason I wanted it to follow) Tom Barrett won it and restored it and it was advertised for around $99,000. if my memory is correct. It is now in South Korea in the Samsung collection.

I still would love to own the car, I have all the paperwork to go with it. Ira Vail sold it to a young H.D.Carpenter in Philadelphia who ran it on the street and hired drivers to race it on local tracks. I have the papers for parts & repair work along with the race programs. I'll dig through my stuff and add what looks interesting. If you know anyone at Samsung, and want to broker the rescue please let me know. Bob 

In your paperwork there must be reference as when Vail bought the factory team car. The team was stated to be five cars in February of 1917 by Hudson and sold the team cars off in the fall of 1917.  So the Vail car was a ex team car in 1918/19. Vail must of sold the car during or after 1920. Interested to see the timeline.

The Brooklands, UK, race circuit, probably early 1920s. In the foreground what might be a JAP engined Morgan with its chassis extended. Maybe for stability on the Outer Circuit? 

Any thoughts on the big coupe in the background? A Buick with a custom coupe body maybe - or something bigger?

May be an image of 1 person, car and outdoors

Can anyone shed light on this unique body? Had not seen the this type of rear door with window on a panel till this one. 

I'm assuming it's a golf bag door of sorts for the salesmen who were associated with LA Young Golf Co out of Detroit. I'd be very interested in any body builder literature showing this in a brochure or catalog as I may have family ties to this company. 

As I've traced my family geneology some of the Young family settled in WI then settled in NE after the Civil War, while some went to MI, IA and back to OH and other locations. I believe LA Young is from that branch that went to MI. Will need to follow up with research to verify but the body design is what has started this inquisitive quest.

R.238ac921003954d15eb5127db540149e?rik=hZyj2LbROL4P1Q&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.automotivetimelines.com%2fcars%2fphotos%2fc%2fChevrolet%2f1931+Chevrolet+Panel+Delivery+Truck+Factory+Photo.png&ehk=ospnJXvX9vS%2flD5d4ZvWBvGhwC0owIRcIyoKmOZn1o8%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Can anyone shed light on this unique body? Had not seen the this type of rear door with window on a panel till this one. 

R.238ac921003954d15eb5127db540149e?rik=hZyj2LbROL4P1Q&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.automotivetimelines.com%2fcars%2fphotos%2fc%2fChevrolet%2f1931+Chevrolet+Panel+Delivery+Truck+Factory+Photo.png&ehk=ospnJXvX9vS%2flD5d4ZvWBvGhwC0owIRcIyoKmOZn1o8%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

Looks like a 1931 Chevy truck...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldford said:

Looks like a 1931 Chevy truck...

It is...

I'm wanting to know more about the rear door design. Has anyone else seen this particular body design on a panel? Seems very unique to me (for the era) but I could be wrong.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I agree a unique body style with that door location. My guess is that due to the depth of the body ( note the overhang past the rear fenders) that in order to easily have access to goods up towards the front of the body ( behind the drivers area) that door was an easy way to not have the salesman or delivery driver have to climb up into the back , get to the front to get whatever they wanted back to the rear doors. They were trying to make the most of the space without having a lot of time retrieving . It must have been that there was no way for the people in the drivers area to access ( by turning around) the immediate area in the storage in the body. no open panel to get through.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The general body style suggests a modified ambulance van-body, possibly even a hearse body.  The length of the cargo body would accommodate a human prone body.

31 Chevrolet panel truck.png

Chevrolet 002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the pallet with the White parts packed and strapped into place. note the shovel at the extreme left. That is one way to get a vehicle to a car show a long ways off .

That 1931 Lincoln sedan would have been quite a show stopper with the light color to the belt molding area and the body color too I am guessing would have been maroon or a lighter medium blue , lighter color to the wheel rims but the hubs are darker. A huge amount of time spent to do all the assorted contrasts like that.

Builder - Willoughby - possibly ( but that is not their factory building behind the car) could also be Judkins.    Early Willoughby history with a lot of photographs ( from Francis Willoughby's personal photo albums) in issue #4 of Crankshaft magazine ( delay of publication due to paper shortage to get it printed !!! )

thanks Ed for contributing these, most appreciated.

Seems the viewers here are not getting tired of looking at pre WWII era period photographs seeing the number of pages that we have ....................

• Like 3

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 3.19.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 3.19.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 3.20.18 PM.png

I see chain fall hoist’s. Also all four casters swivel. No lifting or tugging hooks. I would like to see the guy that pushed that cart around. Once outside they had to mechanically lift off the casters and onto the bunking. Then what? Beveled skid so intended to slide in the field. Hats off to the neat job of dense packing.Today companies are having trouble to hire people to stock shelves and pick orders. After 100 years the definition of a days work certainly has changed.

• Like 3

I’ll see if I can find the photo of the crates coming off the ship using a swinging crane and a steam powered turn style head. Just slips three inch jute rope around the head and use it as a clutch……if it doesn’t kill you it works great.

• Like 1