Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

19 Garford truck from my Garford file. Under Willys ownership Garford trucks were produced through 1933 when production of the trucks and the Willys Knight automobile ceased and production shifted to the inexpensive Willys 77. Thanks to 1937hd45 for stimulating my research. I don’t think I have ever seen a Willys 77. The photo posted earlier was in a box of family photos. 

FF3A33D2-C298-46E2-8521-A24AAC2919BC.jpeg

17283u.jpg

Washington, D.C. April 3, 1929. June and Farrar Burn and family on G Street with their "Ballad Bungalow."

SHORPY-8c10542a.jpg

Payne Service  September 1939. "Combination filling station, garage, blacksmith shop
and grocery store. R.F.D. Danville, Pittsylvania County, Virginia."

SHORPY-8b37558a.jpg

May 1939. Washington, D.C. "Alleyway [Zei Alley] between H, I, 14th and 15th streets N.W."

SHORPY-8c14345a.jpg

December 1940. "Signs in Alexandria, Louisiana, advertising military wearing apparel and goods

SHORPY-8c36392u.jpg

July 1942. "Chevy Chase, Maryland. Serving supper to motorists at an A&W Hot Shoppes restaurant."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

After looking at New Your To Paris Thomas Flyer photos for 60 years this it the first time I noticed it left New York with factory fenders! When were they removed? 

Rd573031183b6f3d8b419feed8a631956.jpg

R861788bb0895a96cd8298d11c921c31f.jpg

And....when was the front axle changed from wavy to straight?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

This was living large in 1958.

Caddy-1958.jpg

Yup....living large....but the garage is too small. My historic neighborhood had additions to almost every garage to add five feet.......except mine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Yup....living large....but the garage is too small. My historic neighborhood had additions to almost every garage to add five feet.......except mine!

Blame Harley Earl, he figured out postwar Americans would gladly fork out premium prices for a few extra inches of wheelbase and many extra inches of rear overhang for the extended-deck Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs.  When GM lead, all others were compelled to follow or lose sales.   Can't accommodate 226" in your garage?  Time for a garage extension!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK, more odd and bizarre from my files. I can't date this exactly but am guessing it is ca. 1938. Made by the Moto-Scoot Manufacturing Company ( 215 South Western Ave.) Chicago, Illinois . They primarily made single and tandem scooters that used an air cooled  4 cycle motor with ball bearing crankshaft. they even had a sidecar available at extra cost to use as a delivery vehicle. Their motto was " Go and come as you please - Make this your " Declaration of Independence".

MOTOscoot3wheeler1938.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Walt G said:

OK, more odd and bizarre from my files. I can't date this exactly but am guessing it is ca. 1938. Made by the Moto-Scoot Manufacturing Company ( 215 South Western Ave.) Chicago, Illinois . They primarily made single and tandem scooters that used an air cooled  4 cycle motor with ball bearing crankshaft. they even had a sidecar available at extra cost to use as a delivery vehicle. Their motto was " Go and come as you please - Make this your " Declaration of Independence".

MOTOscoot3wheeler1938.jpg

Walt, if you have one of these I expect it to come to me and not Ed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nope, don't have one of these, just about a dozen early to mid 1960s pedal cars I don't need, which I can't get to until I get the 1936 Packard club sedan running again to move it out of the way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

After looking at New Your To Paris Thomas Flyer photos for 60 years this it the first time I noticed it left New York with factory fenders! When were they removed? 

Rd573031183b6f3d8b419feed8a631956.jpg

R861788bb0895a96cd8298d11c921c31f.jpg

And this is the first time I have ever seen the weird metal frame for the top. Do any photos exist of it covered with canvas?

Howard Dennis

24 minutes ago, hddennis said:

And this is the first time I have ever seen the weird metal frame for the top. Do any photos exist of it covered with canvas?

Howard Dennis

Howard, I think there is a photo of the Thomas with the Conestoga style top up somewhere in Wyoming. Spent some time searching tonight and found these two.

OIP (4).jpg

28034042067_35bc052b1a_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Blame Harley Earl, he figured out postwar Americans would gladly fork out premium prices for a few extra inches of wheelbase and many extra inches of rear overhang for the extended-deck Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs.  When GM lead, all others were compelled to follow or lose sales.   Can't accommodate 226" in your garage?  Time for a garage extension!

Living large in the fifties didn't necessarily mean you needed a bigger garage! 

Buds 54 Vet 1.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

hook: True, but those were the exception, this was the norm:

'58 Buick Limited rear.png

Most garages that I've ran across were 20 feet which would accommodate most of the fifties cars. The one that my Healey is shown in was built in the 30's. True, they were tight, but it fit my 57 Olds 98 and my 1960's Lincoln continentals. The biggest reason in my opinion for the lack of use of the garage was 1/ very few garage door openers in the fifties, and many garages had swing open doors, 2/ increase use of the family car, making garage use a pain, 3/ the need for storage space. Even today you'll find garages, although much larger, filled with more junk than cars. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

$400.00 worth of garage sale junk on the garage.

$40,000.00 car on the driveway.

Man isn't it the truth how so many place such high value on junk they never use. 

• Like 2