Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

6 minutes ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

I had not seen them either. Great photos.

Thank you for posting them Matt

Me neither!    I've never seen them before in either in the original faded 'square shooter' taken with 127 film as Matt showed, or a latter day photoshopped enhancement.

Craig

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

So,  a kid with his HS car?     Someone needs to explain how Packard went from this styling to the Bath Tub,  almost like they went backwards.

ClipperWithKid.jpg

What I was driving in the late '60's.  I think Packard did themselves a huge diservice when they brought out the bloated whale.

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

"Someone needs to explain how Packard went from this styling to the Bath Tub,  almost like they went backwards."

AJ: The Packard Cormorant, Second Quarter 2021, Number 183, pages 24-29.  Titled:  From the Clipper to "Free-Flow" Styling: A Synopsis of the Forces and Events that Replaced the Clipper Styling with the 22nd and 23rd Series by yours truly...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

Next time you post something that was on the cover of Hemmings like it was hidden in your personal archive I'm calling you out too!

If most of us haven't seen it, it's fair game!!  Remember we are on page 348 and I can't remember page 340!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

A photo posted on a facebook page a couple of hours ago. Captioned 'Dust Bowl refugees 1935.

Any thoughts what the car might be. Something not cheap when it was new I think. Marmon maybe??

May be an image of 4 people, child, people standing and outdoors

What a great photo.  Makes me ashamed to think the kids and I thought we  were camping when we jumped into the 40 ft Diesel pusher and went to the Indy 500 every year.

I didn't mean for it to look like I was passing those off as my own photos. I saved them from someplace with that caption, probably Facebook, and just ran across them while looking at some other photos and figured I'd post them. I wasn't even born when those photos were taken, they're not mine. Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 2

A photo that appears every once in a while, this time on a facebook page. Dated 1899 and comes from the Vancouver, BC, archives.

It has a steering wheel and no shafts for horses, but it also doesn't appear to have anything driving the wheels.

Maybe it only goes downhill?

May be an image of 8 people and outdoors

I recall seeing this picture before. As I recall, there was quite a bit of discussion about the car and its history, including speculation about when the picture was taken (maybe later after the motor and drive mechanism had been removed?). Or maybe it was before the car was running, and that it might have been a promotional photo seeking investors?

I don't recall just where the thread about it was? May look for it in a bit?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

A photo that appears every once in a while, this time on a facebook page. Dated 1899 and comes from the Vancouver, BC, archives.

It has a steering wheel and no shafts for horses, but it also doesn't appear to have anything driving the wheels.

Maybe it only goes downhill?

May be an image of 8 people and outdoors

Aliens with new form of energy unknown to us humans.

Those fenced-in Packards deserve a better look.  The Studebaker to the left is s 1951 Commander Land Cruiser.  That 1937 Super Eight club sedan must have been in very good condition for it to be displayed on a front line position as a 14 or 15 year old car, even on that type of used car lot.

'37 Packard & '46-'47 Clipper fenced.jpg

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

It is becoming very hard to find pictures we have not posted 3 times already.

Paige.jpg

Most of mine will be original as I just discovered the box of photos in storage 2 weeks ago and am slowly digitizing them when I have time.    Lots of fun. Thank you Walt for the thread. Interesting thought, would this thread have emerged without COVID?

Edited by Robert G. Smits
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

. Interesting thought, would this thread have emerged without COVID?

Probably yes, since I am pro pre WWII era and felt that not many people looking here although they liked that era would make a move to express that interest more vigorously. Timing is everything and the Covid crisis just made me act faster thinking everyone needed a break to just be happy again even for a few heart beats. Words are very important ( ask any author including this one) but people like to see pictures. With no car club meetings, car shows, flea markets, cruise nights etc. this came about ( even if those events were on we still like to look at pictures).

Walt

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thanks Walt, Every day we get to see a new photo that brings us back to some great times, sure miss all the people I got to meet in the past 60 years of the hobby. Bob 

I couldn’t have said it better. This forum has become an important part of my retirement.   An OOPS photo 6749584E-9F29-4598-9FBD-A95DCABEE2B1.jpeg.7bc5c3007fc148c327561ac6f742b850.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

tri-5t2.jpg

tri-5t.jpg

The British military bought large numbers of bikes in WW1. This one looks to be a 1915 Triumph, first year that Triumph got a proper gearbox. The year before they had a Sturmey-Archer rear hub set up.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

The British military bought large numbers of bikes in WW1. This one looks to be a 1915 Triumph, first year that Triumph got a proper gearbox. The year before they had a Sturmey-Archer rear hub set up.

Few years ago a fellow Maxwell owner John Illenye sent me this picture of him, his wife and his amazing 1917 Triumph survivor with original paint and period unit markings.

Howard Dennis357028676_JohnIllenye1917Triumph1.jpg.4cf00c304ce4e9c5cfbcc4979753c9a9.jpg676106729_JohnIllenye1917Triumph4.jpg.dffe262efd73044b65f16f3ec383f3ce.jpg

• Like 3