Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

9 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Not quite enough of the car and detail to be sure? But I would guess a 'barrel hood' Franklin from about 1906 to 1910. Some of them had the hood hinged that way so the entire barrel hood and front screen lifts up and gets propped up to service the engine.

Who ever had this car was indeed a customizer. Look at that hinged running board extender. It's hard to see but it also looks like he has a block above the front axle to limit it's movement. This guy spent too much time in the hardware store. 

• Like 1

Found this postcard in my late uncle's belongings. Nordwijk aan Zee in Holland.

Prewar Hanomag Rekord, FWD two-stroke Aero Minor (CZ), Fiat 500, Vauxhall, 1949-53 Ford Prefect (GB), 1946-48  Ford, Buick and 2 x Tempo Matador three-wheelers...

The somewhat battered two-door to the right on the other side of the road is a Skoda 1101

_20210612_153453.JPG

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Casper Friederich said:

Found this postcard in my late uncle's belongings. Nordisk aan Zee, Holland

Hanomag Rekord, Front-wheel driver two-strokevAero Minor (CZ), Fiat 500, Vauxhall 1949-52 Ford Perfect (GB), 1946-48 Us Ford, Buick and 2 x Tempo Matador three-wheelers...

The somewhat battered two-doorbto the right on the other side of the road is a Skoda 1101

_20210612_153453.JPG

And the next one to the right of the Tempos is a 1946 Chevrolet - with its one-year-only hood 'ornament'.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

Both John & Walt and I think me have posted a bunch of these earlier in this thread.

0e522cacba4b0a4d0ff1ee7a0b821bc9.jpg

With 345 pages to this thread it is not easy to remember what has been posted and by who. 

Not my intention to step on toes.

Everyone continue to enjoy the thread.

I have posted my last batch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

With 345 pages to this thread it is not easy to remember what has been posted and by who. 

Not my intention to step on toes.

Everyone continue to enjoy the thread.

I have posted my last batch.

Agreed. I think I’ve posted  some pictures 3 times.

Dave , thanks so much for all your time and contributions, all were most welcome and really great.

There is so much pre WWII era stuff out there , laying dormant in peoples collections for decades, not intentionally but just because there was no way to share to a vast audience on a regular basis and frequently.  Or perhaps there was no real story to go with the image, so with the opportunity to post /share it here , the tremendous input of knowledge has let us all enjoy what we would never have seen. thanks to all of you - I will keep repeating that as I am so grateful to all of you.

WG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Dave , thanks so much for all your time and contributions, all were most welcome and really great.

There is so much pre WWII era stuff out there , laying dormant in peoples collections for decades, not intentionally but just because there was no way to share to a vast audience on a regular basis and frequently.  Or perhaps there was no real story to go with the image, so with the opportunity to post /share it here , the tremendous input of knowledge has let us all enjoy what we would never have seen. thanks to all of you - I will keep repeating that as I am so grateful to all of you.

WG

Well said! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

33742790436_320478b888_b.jpg

Wow, dig those demountable wood wheels. I think this is quite early for demountables, most cars had artillery type wood wheels. Also double horns. One electric, one bulb type. And double whitewall tires. 

Wonderful photo of the dealership and the damage. These are the kind of stories we need to learn more about. The "everyday " happenings of a long gone era.  It puts a better picture into view of what went on, had to be dealt with, etc. beyond the particular make, series and body style of the cars.

This , everyday situation, really made a great impression on me 40+ years ago when I attended an AACA annual meeting ( before it was renamed a convention) when held at the Bellview-Stratford Hotel . Someone arranged for some 16mm news films to be shown and it was some footage of a auto junk yard north or east of Philadelphia . It showed a decade old Packard sedan being driven in under its own power just before WWII I believe, the car was going to be salvaged for its metal content. The gasoline was drained and then a flaming roll of newspaper was thrown into the rear seat area. It was an example of how to ( with the least amount of effort) get rid of upholstery, wood body framework, etc so that the metal that remained could then be salvaged. There was quite a loud moan up from the audience watching a 1929-31 era Packard loose its life that way.

This photo of the dealership just gives us all a great sense of what had to be dealt with to rebuild a shop that sales and service could then continue to generate income.

Walt

• Like 6

2 hours ago, hook said:

Wow, dig those demountable wood wheels. I think this is quite early for demountables, most cars had artillery type wood wheels. Also double horns. One electric, one bulb type. And double whitewall tires. 

Forget the wheel makers name, they were two piece STEEL stampings welded together to look like a wood wheel. My 1912 AC had them. 

Bob  

The Mayfield Car Company in Burbank, CA.  There are recognizable cars that now exist in major collections! The DuPont is an obvious one.  I think this was taken sometime in the 1950's.  Set the Flux Capacitor to 1955 and buy up the whole lot at full price!

MayfieldCarCompany_000174.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Forget the wheel makers name, they were two piece STEEL stampings welded together to look like a wood wheel. My 1912 AC had them. 

Bob  

Yes, usually referred to as Sankey wheels. They usually had a wooden 'filler' inside the spokes I think.

The reason for the name is explained here - The story of the steel wheel (themanufacturer.com)

On 6/12/2021 at 11:45 AM, Casper Friederich said:

Dampers

The one I have is just a pair of small coil springs. I believe they were intended provide the spring action on smooth , in town roads. For anything rough they would bottom out and the main springs would come into play. No attempt to dampen the ride like a friction shock.