Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

11 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

SHORPY_12860a.jpg

Army Dually U.S. Army General John J. Pershing's car and driver in 1918 in Washington, D.C.

Reportedly two were built.  One survives in the Bacon collection in Minden NV and is occasionally run on the Modoc Tour.  Has FOUR spare wheels: two as sidemounts plus two on the rear.  I remember when this car was parked as an attraction outside a dive in SF in the early to mid-1960s.

• Like 7

What is the story about the front wheel in the photo?  Aren't those protrusions on the inside of the wheel fellow valves to fill the tube with air?  Why are there ten of them when one should suffice?

Who is the native American?  I have not yet been able to discover his name.  He certainly is decked out in his finest wear; great feather bonnet.  He appears to be either Hunkpapa or Ogallala Sioux.  He appears to be the same man as in the 1899 studio photo.

1915.jpg.9c2e85e1cefa1415ab6a58f2e7ceb52b.jpg

1899.jpg

2 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

What is the story about the front wheel in the photo?  Aren't those protrusions on the inside of the wheel fellow valves to fill the tube with air?  Why are there ten of them when one should suffice?

Not valve stems, they are part of a system that was to keep the inner tube from slipping on the rim.  Here they are on a 1905 White steamer.

1905 E.jpg

• Like 1

A period photo from facebook. Apparently the driver is the grandfather of the fb poster and the photo was taken in Illinois.

Car identity unknown - It looks to have 'knobs' on the hood to prevent the lifted side from flopping over.

old photos MelodyMike Smith gf in Illinois.jpg

Another period one from facebook. Taken in Nevada in 1917.

Varun reckons Cadillac but I disagree, although I don't know what it is.

Posted to look as if it has right hand drive - 

20s auto nevada 17 Jim Divoky.jpg

- but maybe really has left hand drive??

20s auto nevada 17 Jim Divoky (2).jpg

Christchurch, New Zealand, 1952.  The Waltham Road over bridge - it is still there but much updated. I think the road surface was in the midst of an upgrade when this photo was taken.

It was a time when there were still post war shortages - especially of new cars, although due to the demand for wool brought on by the Korean War there were more cars imported in 1952 than in the year before and after. Licences to import relied heavily on the country's balance of payments at the time.

Taxis were all black - the closest one is a Vauxhall Model LIP Velox and the other is a '39 Oldsmobile. 1939 was the last year that Oldsmobiles were sold new in NZ. A total of 98 were imported and sold over the period 1939-40, most would have been the low price Series 60. In the 1950s NZ's car imports were mostly from Britain.

Most importantly many people still relied on bicycles to get around town.

waltham rd.jpg

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

A period photo from facebook. Apparently the driver is the grandfather of the fb poster and the photo was taken in Illinois.

Car identity unknown - It looks to have 'knobs' on the hood to prevent the lifted side from flopping over.

old photos MelodyMike Smith gf in Illinois.jpg

Not quite enough of the car and detail to be sure? But I would guess a 'barrel hood' Franklin from about 1906 to 1910. Some of them had the hood hinged that way so the entire barrel hood and front screen lifts up and gets propped up to service the engine.

9 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Not quite enough of the car and detail to be sure? But I would guess a 'barrel hood' Franklin from about 1906 to 1910. Some of them had the hood hinged that way so the entire barrel hood and front screen lifts up and gets propped up to service the engine.

Who ever had this car was indeed a customizer. Look at that hinged running board extender. It's hard to see but it also looks like he has a block above the front axle to limit it's movement. This guy spent too much time in the hardware store. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

Post Card Of A 1930 Cord L-29 Cabriolet with bandleader Paul Whiteman

Post Card Of A 1930 Cord L-29 Cabriolet with bandleader Paul Whiteman.jpg

Both John & Walt and I think me have posted a bunch of these earlier in this thread.

0e522cacba4b0a4d0ff1ee7a0b821bc9.jpg

• Like 2

A young Raymond J. Wean in what Varun has identified as a 1910 Chalmers. Wean went on to found Wean Engineering, later to become Wean United,a very successful manufacturer of machinery used to process and shape steel.

wean.jpg

Edited by car crazy (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Found this postcard in my late uncle's belongings. Nordwijk aan Zee in Holland.

Prewar Hanomag Rekord, FWD two-stroke Aero Minor (CZ), Fiat 500, Vauxhall, 1949-53 Ford Prefect (GB), 1946-48  Ford, Buick and 2 x Tempo Matador three-wheelers...

The somewhat battered two-door to the right on the other side of the road is a Skoda 1101

_20210612_153453.JPG

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Casper Friederich said:

Found this postcard in my late uncle's belongings. Nordisk aan Zee, Holland

Hanomag Rekord, Front-wheel driver two-strokevAero Minor (CZ), Fiat 500, Vauxhall 1949-52 Ford Perfect (GB), 1946-48 Us Ford, Buick and 2 x Tempo Matador three-wheelers...

The somewhat battered two-doorbto the right on the other side of the road is a Skoda 1101

_20210612_153453.JPG

And the next one to the right of the Tempos is a 1946 Chevrolet - with its one-year-only hood 'ornament'.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

Both John & Walt and I think me have posted a bunch of these earlier in this thread.

0e522cacba4b0a4d0ff1ee7a0b821bc9.jpg

With 345 pages to this thread it is not easy to remember what has been posted and by who. 

Not my intention to step on toes.

Everyone continue to enjoy the thread.

I have posted my last batch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

With 345 pages to this thread it is not easy to remember what has been posted and by who. 

Not my intention to step on toes.

Everyone continue to enjoy the thread.

I have posted my last batch.

Agreed. I think I’ve posted  some pictures 3 times.

Dave , thanks so much for all your time and contributions, all were most welcome and really great.

There is so much pre WWII era stuff out there , laying dormant in peoples collections for decades, not intentionally but just because there was no way to share to a vast audience on a regular basis and frequently.  Or perhaps there was no real story to go with the image, so with the opportunity to post /share it here , the tremendous input of knowledge has let us all enjoy what we would never have seen. thanks to all of you - I will keep repeating that as I am so grateful to all of you.

WG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1