Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 3/17/2021 at 1:15 PM, nzcarnerd said:

A couple of early ones from France. I think the older of the two is a circa 1903 Renault. Still working on the chain drive car.

159096356_10225795140967820_8663297636186165971_o.jpg

159040721_10225795147887993_3137158201780087123_o.jpg

The car in the upper photo has been identified as a 1902 Renault Type M 8 hp and the lower one a 1906 CGV 25 hp.

On 3/17/2021 at 1:17 PM, nzcarnerd said:

A couple of photos from Europe. Car identities not yet determined.

20s Mark Christoffersen.jpg

20s mark Christoffersen 2.jpg

The car in the upper photo has been identified as a circa 1930 Fiat 521, and the one in the lower photo a circa 1936 Fiat 518 Ardita. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Hi Dave, 

do you happen to know the city? One of the guys in the DBC is trying to log all the Dodge and Graham Brothers dealer locations...

120 Main Street -  Malden, MA - Circa: 1931

14936476690_d2a6b16596_b.jpg

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

That is a  "fender finder " to let one know if getting close to an obstacle.  I have forgotten the real name for them.

Ben

Fender Guide. Aftermarket item, but some manufacturers offered these as Approved Accessories. Packard had these in their Approved Accessories catalog in the 1930's. I had a pair years ago. The top portion that you see was round, red bakelite with a chrome hexagon center looking like a 1920's 30's hubcap.

Some where even set up to light up. Fun Stuff

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Looks like a 180.  Is that a flag staff on the fender?

Packard.jpg

Fender Guide. Aftermarket item, but some manufacturers offered these as Approved Accessories. Packard had these in their Approved Accessories catalog in the 1930's. I had a pair years ago. The top portion that you see was round, red bakelite with a chrome hexagon center looking like a 1920's 30's hubcap.

Some where even set up to light up. Fun Stuff

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

120 Main Street -  Malden, MA - Circa: 1931

14936476690_d2a6b16596_b.jpg

Surprised no one mentioned the Dodge dealership had a '20's Pierce-Arrow sedan converted into their tow truck.  One would suppose they might have had a Graham Brothers truck for that purpose.   

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 11:49 PM, Fossil said:

1920s-travel-fashion-style-TRAVEL.jpg?itok=Nm4jo3q1

The lady on the right with the fur sleeves sure looks like Amelia Earhart. 

I am thinking this is a rare one. A custom bodied Studebaker? Anyone know for sure? I'm basing that guess on the S on the sidemount hubcap. 

• Like 1

I hope all you guys have been to the pickle factory?    My dad has great Glenn Pray stories.   Most of you should know the story of the school teacher who was able to buy out the Auburn Cord part of the ACD factory from Dallas Winslow in 1960.    I've always liked these and if one of the turbo stick cars fell in my lap I might not be too proud to be seen in it.

GlenPray.jpg

1 hour ago, ericmac said:

I am thinking this is a rare one. A custom bodied Studebaker? Anyone know for sure? I'm basing that guess on the S on the sidemount hubcap. 

With a rear spring set up like that, no splash apron and right hand drive?  Not Studebaker.

Here is  a Studebaker, from a page on coated stock paper that was torn from something for the image many years ago by someone.

Many years ago a friend here on long island named Hank Fritz had a Studebaker like this - magnificent car.

STUDEbaker1928sedan001.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ericmac said:

The exposed, cantilevered rear springs are a tell-tale its Rolls-Royce, either late Silver Ghost or New Phantom (I).  Although the coachbuilder may have been Brewster, the design is LeBaron.  It started as the Prince of Wales sedan with the vertical coach pillar molding, curved lower front door corner and the distinct ~3-1-2 window/quarters proportions.  One of Ray Dietrich's major contributions to the art of custom coachbuilding design was to notice the side windows of near equal size were visually static and boring.   By varying the proportional size of each mass, the design became more interesting and visually satisfying.  There is no hard and fast rule, frequently it was ~3-2-1 with the window proportions, front door the widest, passenger door 3/4 the dimension, the roof quarters 1/2 the dimension.   There was also ~2.5-2.5-0.5 proportions for the sport sedans seen on the Packard and REO Royale Newport sport sedans and Stutz Weymann Monte Carlos.   

The Rolls-Royce here appears to be an English chassis, the full-collapsible town car style was referred to as a cabriolet de ville.  Barker also built this design both as a sedan and the town car.  Usually English coachbuilders still covered the door cut-line with ribbed edge to overlap the opening.  

4 hours ago, ericmac said:

A Rolls Royce Phantom I , though could be a very late Ghost and I am not brushed up on differences via what is visible in photo (and I believe the photo to be outside of the United States and car to be an English chassis) .  The  lady on the right certainly does look like Amelia Earhart 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

I hope all you guys have been to the pickle factory?    My dad has great Glenn Pray stories.   Most of you should know the story of the school teacher who was able to buy out the Auburn Cord part of the ACD factory from Dallas Winslow in 1960.    I've always liked these and if one of the turbo stick cars fell in my lap I might not be too proud to be seen in it.

GlenPray.jpg

Friends had the supposed "test crash" car they used for certification - it was a turbo Corvair and possibly had an even more "hopped" up engine  - it was short lived as it was just a "wild beast" that could not be tamed enough for a 80 something year old to continue in car hobby - we replaced it with a 40 Mercury Coupe. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ericmac said:

The cantilever spring says it is a Rolls-Royce. Added to that it has right hand drive.

Here is a puzzlement.  The automobile with the pedestrian catcher has a state of Maryland license plate, and the script mounted on the radiator says "Baltimore".  The state capital of Maryland is the city of Baltimore.  The photo looks like it dates from the late teens or early 1920s.  The radiator of the car somewhat resembles a Packard.  ?  A short Wikipedia article presents information about a "Maryland" automobile that was manufactured by Sinclair-Scott Company from 1907-1910 in Baltimore, Maryland.  Only 871 cars were produced by the time production stopped in 1910.  The car in the photo has left-side steering and does not seem to date from the 07-10 time period.  Thus far no photo of an actual Baltimore car has come to light, while the Wikipedia article carries a photo of a 1906 Ariel and says that it is technically identical to a Maryland.  The problem being that the 1906 Ariel looks nothing like the car bearing the Baltimore script and the Maryland car was out of production before this photo was taken of the Baltimore car.

Baltimore 1920s-pedestrian-catcher-3.jpg

7 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Here is a puzzlement.  The automobile with the pedestrian catcher has a state of Maryland license plate, and the script mounted on the radiator says "Baltimore".  The state capital of Maryland is the city of Baltimore.  The photo looks like it dates from the late teens or early 1920s.  The radiator of the car somewhat resembles a Packard.  ?  A short Wikipedia article presents information about a "Maryland" automobile that was manufactured by Sinclair-Scott Company from 1907-1910 in Baltimore, Maryland.  Only 871 cars were produced by the time production stopped in 1910.  The car in the photo has left-side steering and does not seem to date from the 07-10 time period.  Thus far no photo of an actual Baltimore car has come to light, while the Wikipedia article carries a photo of a 1906 Ariel and says that it is technically identical to a Maryland.  The problem being that the 1906 Ariel looks nothing like the car bearing the Baltimore script and the Maryland car was out of production before this photo was taken of the Baltimore car.

Baltimore 1920s-pedestrian-catcher-3.jpg

It IS a Packard. Here is a 1918 Packard....

1918 Packard.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Surprised no one mentioned the Dodge dealership had a '20's Pierce-Arrow sedan converted into their tow truck.  One would suppose they might have had a Graham Brothers truck for that purpose.   

One would think but Chrysler publicly ordered the Graham Brother name removed as of Jan/Feb 1929 so maybe dealerships were instructed to not use Graham trucks? 

What surprises me about it is why not have a Dodge Brothers wrecker like the one below? 

image.thumb.png.11f23193d05c375c59aa84903c191f20.png

• Like 3

This is a real treat ;  Put this on full screen.  There is a Duesenberg pulling from a parking spot, there are 6 (if not more) RRP1's, a Lincoln Panel Brougham, several great Packards (near countless Formal Sedans), Lincolns, Cadillac's, Buicks, Checkers, Fords, a Pierce Arrow with freestanding headlamps and a PA Brunn ? Town car at 7:03, and .... even spotted like a Plymouth Town Car (a rarity), a Chrysler Town Car, an Airflow,  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I looked at the movie (NY City). Observed clearly 4 (four) 1938 Lincoln K cars. Two were factory 145 Inch LWB "K" cars (of which only 78 were produced in 1938 base price $5,100) while 2 were 145 inch LWB Limousines (of which only 46 were produced in 1938 base price $6,200).   Truly amazing how many of these vehicles were in this short movie. Also it appears that almost every 3rd par is a Packard. 

The neighborhood is fancy however. No poor souls living in that neighborhood back in 1938 and almost all wealthy residents in this same area now. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BucketofBolts said:

I looked at the movie (NY City). Observed clearly 4 (four) 1938 Lincoln K cars. Two were factory 145 Inch LWB "K" cars (of which only 78 were produced in 1938 base price $5,100) while 2 were 145 inch LWB Limousines (of which only 46 were produced in 1938 base price $6,200).   Truly amazing how many of these vehicles were in this short movie. Also it appears that almost every 3rd par is a Packard. 

The neighborhood is fancy however. No poor souls living in that neighborhood back in 1938 and almost all wealthy residents in this same area now. 

I wouldnt know 1 car from another, although I would bet that the delivery truck was electric. I did recognize the Duesenburg. As far as the quality of automobile, I would imagine that if this street is still 'high end' there is an disproportionate number of Lincolns (town cars) to others.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 9:08 AM, ericmac said:

Just a curiosity, is that a light at the windshield pillar or a MOT badge. I know the early brit bikes had the round MOT discs on them.

• Like 2

New York City had a very active Lincoln dealership in the 1930s - Theodore Luce.  All his activity was "midtown", which is the area around 59th street at the bottom edge of Central Park. "Automobile Row " was from the mid fifties ( 55th street/Broadway ) and most of the automobile repair and coach builders were on the west side on 11th Ave. ( that ran north and south) .

Rolls Royce had a three story showroom at 58th and 8th Avenue . They had a sale usually every September ( middle to the end of the month) and were open Saturday and Sunday , including evenings . RR also issued a sales folder trying to sell the "Used cars" they had. These included RR but also a lot of hi end luxury cars like Locomobile, Crane Simplex, H.C.S., Wills St. Claire, Pierce Arrow , Lancia , Panhard etc. I have that sales folder and it is quite a statement on what cars they took in on trade and wanted to resell - prices ranged from $875 to $10,900.  This was circa 1928.

OK so some of my friends are reading this and thinking , Walt has some weird stuff. Yes, indeed I do, and it is an on going pleasure to share it here with all of you.

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Wonderful videos, so many rare luxury cars!   Does anyone have the capability to do screen capture stills?  If so, we'd all loved to be able to see if we could identify those coach-built cars more closely.

In addition to all those Checkers taxis are the GM Yellow Truck and Coach Division taxis cabs that look like an amalgamation of GM car components.