Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 10/30/2020 at 6:32 AM, edinmass said:

16F5661C-17D1-4F61-9F87-E34199B5E4DA.png

Am I the only one that had the thought :

I wish I was there when they shut her down for this photo... the sounds, the smell, and the raw scene from chaos to tranquility.... 

What a beast.

Great photo ! Truly a moment frozen in time

OK here is one for my friend who was in Mass. and is now in Fla. ( who has been paying attention to a White) , I know who the body builder and designer was and the year it was made as I have the sales catalog that this photo was in . ( there really should be a story done on the body builder , the large catalog is printed on coated stock paper so the images are very clear and it is 19 pages full of information and photographs of custom coachwork on all kinds of American and European chassis) .  So what are we looking at here? who was the body builder and what series is the chassis? Time for everyone to wake up and think about cars with running boards after days upon days of being beat up listening to election news .

DoNLEE1920PA001.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Walt G said:

OK here is one for my friend who was in Mass. and is now in Fla. ( who has been paying attention to a White) , I know who the body builder and designer was and the year it was made as I have the sales catalog that this photo was in . ( there really should be a story done on the body builder , the large catalog is printed on coated stock paper so the images are very clear and it is 19 pages full of information and photographs of custom coachwork on all kinds of American and European chassis) .  So what are we looking at here? who was the body builder and what series is the chassis? Time for everyone to wake up and think about cars with running boards after days upon days of being beat up listening to election news .

DoNLEE1920PA001.jpg

10hm149.jpg

10hm091.jpg

• Like 1

Gary - the runnin boards be for one foot step and not even a whole foot man!  They look like a tray you get your hamburger or a chili dog served to you on when you go out for a gourmet meal if you are drive-n a Stu D. Baker race car. 🤣

Walt

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Gary - the runnin boards be for one foot step and not even a whole foot man!  They look like a tray you get your hamburger or a chili dog served to you on when you go out for a gourmet meal if you are drive-n a Stu D. Baker race car. 🤣

Walt

Depends on one's boot size!!

Craig

Pure shot in the dark........I’m going to say a 1918 38hp Body by Holbrook? Just a best guess.........My area of familiarity is Pierce 8 & 12 cars from 1929 to 1938, and I will admit some knowledge of cars that are left hand drive from 1921 to 1928. I have seen two similar cars.......with factory bodies, with similar steps and fender treatment,,,,,,that both were factory bodies. Looks like Rudge wire wheels.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Don Lee coach works it is , the catalog is dated 1920

Thanks Walt, The step-plates, splash fender, 'B'-pillar coach lamp and high tonneau belt-line appear on a Don Lee Cadillac town car pictured in the Lamm and Holls Styling history page 67.   It was a flash of recognition that sent me to the book shelf.   What Series is that Pierce-Arrow?  Being right hand drive I knew it would be 1920 or before but the smooth hood-through-cowl transition looks like the Leon Rubay styled Series 32.  It then occurred to me the hood could have been custom along with the body on a prior series.   Sometimes, one gets lucky...

I don't know the series, that is for a P-A guy to let us know. You didn't get lucky , you thought about it, had good recall and a good library to refer to to make sure you remembered what you read and saw. That is what I do when I research and write a story. I hate to have to look something up twice so somehow have guided myself to remember "important" details and what things looked like 80 + years ago. I am reorganizing my files/archives and am amazed at what I haven't seen in 30 years. There is just so much material and images on vehicles of the WWI to WWII era that has not been see since it was published back when new. To get the story together to then share with others one has to get all the pieces together to get a true picture of what it was like. This goes for both the cars of the USA and the cars of Europe- plus European cars that were imported to here and cars from here that were sent to Europe. SO many really interesting stories , it makes you appreciate the cars and especially the people responsible for them even more.

Another run on answer!

Walt

• Like 4

I'd call it a Series 51 (48 nominal hp) rather than a S31 (38 hp) because the top of the radiator is above the top of the headlights, but this applies to factory bodies.  142" wb for S51, 134" wb for S31, but the tires look out of scale (i.e., too small) for either.  This is a rendering rather than a photo, so there may be some artistic license, plus the hood and radiator height may have been raised by the coachbuilder to better blend with the cowl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the original image in the catalog I think it is a photo of the actual car that was "enhanced" or made clearer by an artist who retouched a photograph before the catalog was printed. the whole image is not a rendering, no way to get wire wheels at that angle completely perfect. Reflection on the glass - yes, a retouch, same for sections of front fenders light highlights , rear fenders not retouched , shadow line under the car retouched absolutely. All lamps are not reworked nor is the top. Cowl, hood  and body only retouched  for shadow lines.

WG

Edited by Walt G
spelling correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Is this a Studebaker wagon produced under license by Kentucky Wagon in Louisville?  In 1921 Studebaker sold their farm wagon business to the Kentucky Wagon Company, of Louisville, KY.  Kentucky Wagon, producer of the Dixie Flyer automobile, obtained the right to use the Studebaker name on new production of farm wagons for two and one-half years.  This photo dates from February 10, 1921, page 263, The Automobile.

DSC00612.JPG

• Like 1

8 months ago I started this thread hoping that it would give some of you something to look at and perhaps escape the stress of coping with a terrible health issue that has blanketed the world and brought the demise of so many people. In doing so it would allow us to escape to see the old vehicles we spend so much time with and enjoy the history of plus also  connect  us to life long friendships of fellow enthusiasts. We haven't been able to see a lot of our dear friends this year because of the lack of activities and I know for me that has been very sad indeed. Here are two items to add to the collection that may make some of you stay on the path of hope that one day our lives will return to the happy times of sharing our old used cars!  ( sorry I had to throw that in there!)

the Rolls Royce touring has a body by Connaught and the page is from a October 1929 Franklin Dealer's Bulletin that shows 5 custom body models that were to appear at the custom body salons that took place late in the year for the next years models/series of cars. These started in New York, then moved west to Chicago , San Francisco, and finally Los Angeles. 

Stay well all, hope we meet in person down the road , my sincere best to one and all. And very special thanks to AACA for letting this continue and all of you who have contributed.

Walt

RRCONNAUGHT001.jpg

Franklin6Bpodies001.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Let's keep it going.......and an interesting twist.......here are two photos of White cars on tour with the Army in late 1916 or early 1917. Some of the cars in the photos are the same year and series as my new 1917 White that I did the long thread on..........some are factory coachwork and a few are Rubay, others are 1916 Model 4-45"s. Enjoy......

IMG_1914.png

IMG_1913.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Must be some good story to those two pictures of all the White automobiles. Like so many things of the era, I am not an expert in military history of the Great War, although I have read quite a lot about it and have some amount of collectables from that war. What I find so interesting in these two pictures, are the uniforms and the 'dress' of the several dignitaries that can be seen around the cars. Top hats (remarkably tall ones at that!) and tails suggest some important dignitaries or activities. The uniforms suggest French officers, and not just the run of the mill new recruits for the then current war. An expert would know specifics about the uniforms. The two men standing in front of the two large White touring cars are intriguing. The one man, leaning on his cane, has numerous medals on his chest, and an interesting hat. There must be some fantastic tales behind all that.

The two touring cars behind the two men look to be similar to your '17 White? Even the headlamps look similar. (Although the exact model may be different?)

ED, great photos! the fellows posed before the cars give you an excellent reference on how to dress in proper attire when you take the car out for a ride or even better when you attend and AACA national meet Like Hershey next year !

• Haha 1

On 11/13/2020 at 1:14 PM, edinmass said:

Wayne, I have the story........in detail. I will post how to look it up soon.

1915-1917 Franco-Anglo Financial Commission............

The beginning of the story is here - the story is mostly 1915-16 but I guess it was ongoing - but the visible plate on the White car on the right of the photo is 1917 (what state is that?). Were the plates issued mid year to mid year as they were here in NZ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-French_Financial_Commission

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 10:25 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

If they were going for sex appeal they nailed it...  especially with the dirt field back drop and all ;) 

Beautiful car !

What car?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

The beginning of the story is here - the story is mostly 1915-16 but I guess it was ongoing - but the visible plate on the White car on the right of the photo is 1917 (what state is that?). Were the plates issued mid year to mid year as they were here in NZ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-French_Financial_Commission

It ran till 1918. They toured all the bases looking at equipment and the men coming over. There is a book documenting the tour......with lots of photos.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 7:57 PM, Tph479 said:

574 ci V12 engine

E41DD277-5B5A-4625-858A-6798E3573304.jpeg

Just a guess, 

but I believe the photo is more recent than the Hisso-

The car would have been in manufacture between 1931 - 1938, as I recall.

The cheesecake appears dressed in 1950s, or even early 1960s style.

Either way, both might be considered fast and attractive.

• Like 1