Period images to relieve some of the stress

2 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Cheers

think the saloon was badged ‘classic’ in the Uk , didn’t see many  capris liked them though  , however had a 3.0s in the seventies beast of a car  apple green , deck chair striped seats !

I had 62 Consul Classic 315 sedan.  It had a reverse slope rear window like Mercurys of the period.  The result was a huge trunk.  I carried a spare engine and transmission for my 27 Dictator home in that trunk.

Thanks Bob, I thought I may be the only one that noticed this , but recently under another topic was taken to task about being not fair in my comment so have refrained for the most part from further participation in anything here , contribution or comment wise. If I stated lets get back on topic for the era as well as subject someone will be highly offended.

4 hours ago, Walt G said:

Thanks Bob, I thought I may be the only one that noticed this , but recently under another topic was taken to task about being not fair in my comment so have refrained for the most part from further participation in anything here , contribution or comment wise. If I stated lets get back on topic for the era as well as subject someone will be highly offended.

This topic was started to RELIEVE stress, not start it, bothers me that some people lack the ability to read. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 3
2 hours ago, Angelo VanBogart said:

Here's a still from the 1937 film "She Asked for It." Could never figure out exactly what brand of roadster is meeting its demise, but it's big. Packard, perhaps? Or a Hollywood combination of parts made to resemble a Packard?

PackarddemiseC.jpg

Looks like a '30 Packard to me. I noticed that nobody appears to be behind the wheel.  But what is it for sure? A waste of a good car. 

• Like 2

Looks like a roughly 1930 Packard roadster. So in a 1937 film it would have been an outdated seven year old car. If abused and or damaged, Its value would have been very low at that time.

I have recently been sorting through a few hundred "lost" harvested from the internet photos. So how about a couple 1907/'08 Ford model K touring car pictures?

0708FordKtouringtrees.jpg

0708FordKtouring.jpg

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, ericmac said:

Looks like a '30 Packard to me. I noticed that nobody appears to be behind the wheel.  But what is it for sure? A waste of a good car. 

In its day it was worth the same as a used Tesla less the battery today. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, ericmac said:

Agreed on wheels and radiator shell but that windshield sure looks CG to me.   Maybe a put together pile of parts to send off a cliff?

21 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Agreed on wheels and radiator shell but that windshield sure looks CG to me.   Maybe a put together pile of parts to send off a cliff?

I don't think you mean "computer generated"? It does have a decidedly Chrysler look to it. I zoomed into the photo a bit. It could be a mock-up, but looks like a Packard to me. Hollywood then and now did some really good mock-ups for crash scenes. They also crashed a lot of patched up heavily used cars. I also noticed that the front bumper appears rather stout.

How about another Ford K shot?

1906modelKfront.jpg

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

^^^^ Like those front fenders on the K, any side shots? 

I know that is a different K than the two previous photos. It was identified by a previous source as being a 1906 model. Although I would probably have immediately assumed (love the spelling and meaning of that word!) it to have been a 1907. Sidelamps varied on those cars as with most cars of the era. The radiator is of the later style as used in 1907/'08, however that change was made mid-year 1906. The fenders do suggest a 1906 model. I don't have a ready 1906 side view at the moment, but one could probably be found online. I should go look.

Attached is a very special photo for me. Many of you know I consider myself a "Model T guy". The 26 Fordor I am restoring was my father's first car. What I didn't know was my grandfather also enjoyed Model Ts. Here he is circa 1920 behind the wheel of a T Speedster.  MacleodPeople2dollar017.thumb.jpg.62f146df4d977696dc459958b3bc2dc0.jpg

Sorting through a lot of internet harvest photos from years ago, I saw these two.

Surrounding the baseball field with windshields? What could possibly go wrong?

They had been posted on another forum several years ago. Beyond that, I do not know where they came from.

baseball1.jpg

basball2.jpg

• Like 1

How about a couple 1915/'16 Cadillac touring cars? Both with a carload of passengers. The sign on one of the cars indicate that it was being used as a hotel stage. I wonder if the other one may have been also?

By the way, these were on a model T forum a couple days ago.

191516Cadillac.jpg

1915-Cadillac.jpg

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

That is an early T, steering column looks long enough to be from a Torpedo, or maybe the photo is distorted. Bob 

I think the car is around a '13 or 14, though the photo looks like about 1920 or so. If he had access to a Torpedo...well that would explain my obsession with owning one!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Fossil said:

Is that a wheel rim being used as a roll bar? 

Yes...though it's ironic that they recognized the need for a roll bar, but not the need to remain in the car. Also, if you look closely you can see the throttle is wide open and the spark is fully advanced.  Grandpa needed some speed!

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I would sure like to know what this one is? Abbott Detroit was mentioned.

maybeAbbottDetroit.jpg

That's slick. I like it.  While I suspect some modifications have been done,  it's a really neat car.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

A question for Ron Hausmann. The source said this truck was a Kissel. Could it be?

sourcesaidKissel.jpg

it appears to be a Kissel “Dreadnaught” heavy capacity truck. Mid teens. I’m not expert on trucks but the radiator and hood look Kissel.

Ron Hausmann

1 minute ago, ron hausmann said:

it appears to be a Kissel “Dreadnaught” heavy capacity truck. Mid teens. I’m not expert on trucks but the radiator and hood look Kissel.

Ron Hausmann

Ron.......I think you need one. Would go good with the ambulance.😎

• Haha 1

Well all my friends, when I started this thread in mid March I thought a few of the friends I had would enjoy it and possibly contribute a few things and it would hopefully inspire some others "out there" from all over to also share what they have. It has gone way beyond what I ever could have hoped for at 10,000 replies, nearly 250 pages and over 200,000 views.  I hope it has indeed 'relieved some of the stress '  and kept all of us used car  collectors spirits up. I have made so many new friends via this thread as well, people I didn't know before but now can't wait to meet in person and share their hand in friendship. SO nice to know of all the good people out there , I had better stop here  - I am way to sentimental in nature to keep going on, stay well all, be safe.

A very special thank you to AACA and all the moderators who continue to make this all possible and put up with me. Hope to see you down the road .

My very best regards and sincere thanks to all of you.

Walt Gosden

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Henry B. Joy in a 1906 Packard model S outside the dealership in Times Square, before it relocated to Broadway and 61st Street.  Model N's lined up in front of the Times Square building, 1905.  Don't know what's for sale at that location now, just not Packards.

Tige.jpg

1905 NYC.jpg

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Keeping on topic, pre war stress relievers...............here is a stress reliever from back in the day. Notice the lights on the Cadillac in the background. Top photo taken in 1933.

3638FFD6-86C3-42A8-8DE0-3E855FDC32D4.png

Looks like the left side headlight on that '32 Ford was set for illuminating the tops of trees.

The Cadillac with Tripp’s Lights in 1933 is much more interesting than a light out of adjustment. It’s the earliest photo I have ever seen documenting them on a car.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, edinmass said:

The Cadillac with Tripp’s Lights in 1933 is much more interesting than a light out of adjustment. It’s the earliest photo I have ever seen documenting them on a car.

Now that is a detail I find very interesting. Even though it is a bit newer than my primary interests in collector cars, I have noticed Tripp Lights on a lot of early '30s cars. As I look closely at so many era photographs, I have had a sense that I wasn't seeing them in the early photos enough to justify the numbers I have seen at modern car shows and meets. Since that is just outside the era I mostly study, I just didn't know anything about that for certain. However, very interesting!

As for the light out of adjustment? My dad always called those "shooting owls" lights.

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

The very early sets tend to look like this (albeit not sure of the blue bulbs):

237723296_s-l1600(3).thumb.jpg.b2ef9a66c598d3b051a55fc922c759af.jpg

• Thanks 1