Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Sorting through a lot of internet harvest photos from years ago, I saw these two.

Surrounding the baseball field with windshields? What could possibly go wrong?

They had been posted on another forum several years ago. Beyond that, I do not know where they came from.

baseball1.jpg

basball2.jpg

• Like 1

How about a couple 1915/'16 Cadillac touring cars? Both with a carload of passengers. The sign on one of the cars indicate that it was being used as a hotel stage. I wonder if the other one may have been also?

By the way, these were on a model T forum a couple days ago.

191516Cadillac.jpg

1915-Cadillac.jpg

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

That is an early T, steering column looks long enough to be from a Torpedo, or maybe the photo is distorted. Bob 

I think the car is around a '13 or 14, though the photo looks like about 1920 or so. If he had access to a Torpedo...well that would explain my obsession with owning one!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fossil said:

Is that a wheel rim being used as a roll bar? 

Yes...though it's ironic that they recognized the need for a roll bar, but not the need to remain in the car. Also, if you look closely you can see the throttle is wide open and the spark is fully advanced.  Grandpa needed some speed!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ron hausmann said:

it appears to be a Kissel “Dreadnaught” heavy capacity truck. Mid teens. I’m not expert on trucks but the radiator and hood look Kissel.

Ron Hausmann

Ron.......I think you need one. Would go good with the ambulance.😎

• Haha 1

Well all my friends, when I started this thread in mid March I thought a few of the friends I had would enjoy it and possibly contribute a few things and it would hopefully inspire some others "out there" from all over to also share what they have. It has gone way beyond what I ever could have hoped for at 10,000 replies, nearly 250 pages and over 200,000 views.  I hope it has indeed 'relieved some of the stress '  and kept all of us used car  collectors spirits up. I have made so many new friends via this thread as well, people I didn't know before but now can't wait to meet in person and share their hand in friendship. SO nice to know of all the good people out there , I had better stop here  - I am way to sentimental in nature to keep going on, stay well all, be safe.

A very special thank you to AACA and all the moderators who continue to make this all possible and put up with me. Hope to see you down the road .

My very best regards and sincere thanks to all of you.

Walt Gosden

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Henry B. Joy in a 1906 Packard model S outside the dealership in Times Square, before it relocated to Broadway and 61st Street.  Model N's lined up in front of the Times Square building, 1905.  Don't know what's for sale at that location now, just not Packards.

Tige.jpg

1905 NYC.jpg

• Like 6

Keeping on topic, pre war stress relievers...............here is a stress reliever from back in the day. Notice the lights on the Cadillac in the background. Top photo taken in 1933.

3638FFD6-86C3-42A8-8DE0-3E855FDC32D4.png

B5697A5E-3BD2-4342-9C29-9FC280E48F29.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Keeping on topic, pre war stress relievers...............here is a stress reliever from back in the day. Notice the lights on the Cadillac in the background. Top photo taken in 1933.

3638FFD6-86C3-42A8-8DE0-3E855FDC32D4.png

Looks like the left side headlight on that '32 Ford was set for illuminating the tops of trees.

The Cadillac with Tripp’s Lights in 1933 is much more interesting than a light out of adjustment. It’s the earliest photo I have ever seen documenting them on a car.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

The Cadillac with Tripp’s Lights in 1933 is much more interesting than a light out of adjustment. It’s the earliest photo I have ever seen documenting them on a car.

Now that is a detail I find very interesting. Even though it is a bit newer than my primary interests in collector cars, I have noticed Tripp Lights on a lot of early '30s cars. As I look closely at so many era photographs, I have had a sense that I wasn't seeing them in the early photos enough to justify the numbers I have seen at modern car shows and meets. Since that is just outside the era I mostly study, I just didn't know anything about that for certain. However, very interesting!

As for the light out of adjustment? My dad always called those "shooting owls" lights.

On 12/7/2020 at 9:35 PM, wayne sheldon said:

A question for Ron Hausmann. The source said this truck was a Kissel. Could it be?

sourcesaidKissel.jpg

Note the size of the front chain sprocket - not a lot of speed available with that one, although would probably climb any hill with a full load at walking pace in low gear.

Compare with what a contemporary race car (this one is a 1904 Gobron-Brillie) might use - See the source image

There was also an Auto Polo Association on long Island , I have a catalog/promotional booklet they issued in the teens. Model T Fords as shown with this post were used as well. I will try and locate the booklet and share here when I have time.

WG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ply33 said:

I’d never heard of Auto Polo but looking at the Wikipedia article on it, that is exactly what this car seems to be set up for. Here is a photo from the Wikipedia article. 

At the risk of further drift?

When using their roll bars? These cars really ROLLED! A bit over fifty years ago, when I was much younger, several friends and I went to a silent film showing at a theatre that showed quite a few historic films. One of the minor features they showed that particular night was an original newsreel short with an entertaining look at auto-polo using cut down model T Fords with roll bars like these. Several times through the film, a car would take a sharp turn and roll on over and just keep playing! Can you imagine the player, no belts or straps, hanging onto the car and come up swinging his bat at the ball? It was incredible to watch. And I am sure they were putting on a bit of a show for the cameras. At one point, the car flipped over, but didn't quite make it all the way onto its wheels. The driver and player got up off the ground, righted the car, got in and played on!

nzcarnerd, That was the great thing about those early chain drives. A simple sprocket and short piece of chain change could change the gearing ratios to fit the circumstances. This worked well for both racing cars and heavy trucks.

• Like 2

These R-R photographs were taken decades ago, the light colored touring car was dated it was taken on Nov. 11, 1948 and the car was owned at the time by A.H. Kellogg Clarke of Buffalo, NY photo notes on the back say the car is a 1924 Silver Ghost and that 4 wheel servo brakes were added, the dark colored touring car was owned by A.K. Miller the Stutz enthusiast ( hoarder?) and the photo was taken at his home in N.J. I hope no one takes offense that I refer to A. K. Miller as a hoarder and say I am ' not fair ' like it was mentioned here elsewhere after I made a comment .😷

1924 RR touring 1948 BUFFALO NY Kellog clarke.jpg

1927 RR tourings  AK MILLER1950s.jpg

• Like 4

The Rolls - Royce is a Phantom 1 with body by Hibbard & Darrin and was owned at the time the photo was taken by Ralph Gould of Cape Elizabeth, Maine

The coupe is a Hispano -Suiza with what seems to be a body built in the USA , the car behind the H-S that you can see the front of is a 1930 Franklin Airman series 14 roadster with the side curtains and top up.

The Hispano - Suiza dealership building in N.Y. City still stands and is no longer a car showroom ( selling H-S cars!) was located a few blocks south of Central Park South, which is the southern most street to border Central Park.

More useless information!!!!

RR PHANTOM 1 HibbardandDarrin.jpg

Hispano coupe.jpg

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Walt G said:

The Rolls - Royce is a Phantom 1 with body by Hibbard & Darrin and was owned at the time the photo was taken by Ralph Gould of Cape Elizabeth, Maine

The coupe is a Hispano -Suiza with what seems to be a body built in the USA , the car behind the H-S that you can see the front of is a 1930 Franklin Airman series 14 roadster with the side curtains and top up.

The Hispano - Suiza dealership building in N.Y. City still stands and is no longer a car showroom ( selling H-S cars!) was located a few blocks south of Central Park South, which is the southern most street to border Central Park.

More useless information!!!!

RR PHANTOM 1 HibbardandDarrin.jpg

Hispano coupe.jpg

Awesome!

• Like 1

Walt, None of your comments are "useless" they help paint a picture of life in Manhattan, "Automobile Row" was something my Dad talked about. As the son of a chauffeur he may have had easier access to these dealerships and built quite a collection of sales brochures, sadly it was never saved, WWII got in the way. Bob 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Walt G said:

These R-R photographs were taken decades ago, the light colored touring car was dated it was taken on Nov. 11, 1948 and the car was owned at the time by A.H. Kellogg Clarke of Buffalo, NY photo notes on the back say the car is a 1924 Silver Ghost and that 4 wheel servo brakes were added, the dark colored touring car was owned by A.K. Miller the Stutz enthusiast ( hoarder?) and the photo was taken at his home in N.J. I hope no one takes offense that I refer to A. K. Miller as a hoarder and say I am ' not fair ' like it was mentioned here elsewhere after I made a comment .😷

There is nothing wrong with hoarding as long as whatever it is one is hoarding does not allow it to deteriorate further than it is, especially to the point of being worthless.  It would mean the items being 'saved' should be kept out of the elements, and/or from potential thievery and vandalism.   How many times have we read here about the car in a yard that has sat for year and years out in the open where the owner has no desire to sell?

Craig

Bob, good question, almost looks like a rear mounted spare but maybe not! original photo is a tiny snap shot. I can't imagine what it would be , definitely not something on the Franklin in the back ground.

The most recent "hoarding" incident I can think of is in central NY State where many cars collected and stored away in the 1950s are slowly and reluctantly being sold off by the owner. Excellent original cars when stored were kept inside but never well cared for other then being under cover in a barn and saw a ton of dirt land on them over the decades. tires go flat, engines seize.

Here are a pair of photos from an early family album that have somehow escaped identification over the years. I’ve hung on to them anyway ; because I find them evocative of a time when families of moderate income were quite proud of their automobiles, whatever they may have been. I particularly like this pair because these folks not only took the typical “family with car” shot, but even took one of the kids with the car being repaired after an apparent mishap. It was obviously a cherished family member in good times and bad.

Bob

05990A5A-7ED3-4D7D-9CCE-52CC37865669.jpeg

52886321-32BB-443C-97AD-DCB38D1D0FC0.jpeg

• Like 1

Bob Barrett, Nice photos! Thank you for posting them.

As much as the two photos look like the same car? They are not. The first one (sitting on the running board) is a Ford model T four door sedan. If I recall correctly, these were introduced in late 1922. This appears to be an early one, likely a late '22 or 1923 model with appears to be low radiator. The radiator was enlarged in mid 1923 calendar year (however considered to be a 1924 model). The radiator was made taller by a bit over an inch, so not a big change, and cannot be absolutely certain it isn't the later high radiator version from this angle in the photo.

The second car (no running board to sit on) appears to be a Dodge sedan, and probably about 1920. They may have replaced the Dodge with a new Ford after the Dodge was damaged. Look closely at the hood on the Dodge. It has no louvres in the sides as the Ford does. Although the cars look very similar, the Dodge was a bit larger, and there are numerous minor detail differences that can be seen in these photos. Mostly in the cowl, wheels, and windshield areas. The fenders look very different, but with the rear fender missing, and people blocking the view of the front fender, those cannot be seen here.

• Like 1

Wayne, Wow, good eye! After assuming for many years that these were the same car in both photos, this is a bit of a surprise. I had noticed that the paint finish was better on the Ford, but it never occurred to me that they were different vehicles. I can indeed see some things that don't match up after closer examination . (I even cleaned my glasses first!) The vertical molding below the belt at the back of the car, rear window frame (bottom back corner), and the sweep of the rear body, from the belt down, are other things that I now notice.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the photos, and thank you so much for the new information. The new details may even help to identify the subjects in the pics someday!

Bob