What are you working on right now?

11 hours ago, dodge28 said:

I love what I do and I do what I love, it keeps me mentally and physically fit. At 88 going on to 89 I drive safely. I still do my backyard gardening  

The secret is to keep the mind and body active.

Harry in Thornhill, Canada.

Cheers.

Dang, Harry, finally someone I can't call "young man"!    By a year.   

Ben

11 hours ago, dodge28 said:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I  finished this about 10 minutes ago. It's the bookcase for my car-related books. I think it will just about hold them if I don't buy more...which is very unlikely. In any case, it's mostly made from scrap lumber, the original pine siding from a friend's house. He thought I'd use it for firewood. I had to incorporate the light switch and receptacle that were on the wall behind it...

The biggest problem I have, other than doing all this alone, is that the house is full of stuff. I have to put the books back to make room for the next job and everything ends up with a layer of sanding and plaster dust on it so all these things will have to be extensively cleaned when I'm done.

Bookcaseforcarbooks.jpg.c595ec9c3cc5c636c9f26977cc3cbccd.jpg

• Like 15

It looks better with the books back in. It was just big enough...I have room for two or three more. That's better than the last one where they were stacked on top.

Bookcasewithbooks.jpg.2dcb68810f325c4593fc4ecb86ab7803.jpg

• Like 13

It's a case of necessity being the mother of invention. The wiring was already in place although I never connected it for its intended purpose since, as is always the case with me, I change things while doing them. I'll do the same thing in the room you see part of on the right, my home office, and I'll junk the office supply bookcases in there and build a giant bookcase along the inside wall. The "store-bought" cases really aren't designed to hold books. I've even had one collapse under their weight. I probably have ten times as many books as you see in that picture so it's a real challenge to find places to put them and I like to keep them organized by subject. I'll do the same thing there which will gain me a good seven or eight feet of shelf space.

• Like 6

Presently,I am working on getting my back healed up so I can finish my '51 Pontiac. May 22,I messed my left knee up,nothing broken or torn,just hurt like hell.Three weeks later my knee was to the point that I could get around on it enough to get things done. On June 12, I was eating lunch with friends and when finished,got up from my chair,turned to my right to go pay for my meal,and tweaked something in my lower left side of my back.I made it home and have been nursing the thing for two months.I am about 90% well,but one wrong move and I'll be out of commission again.I haven't got down in my back like this in 20 years.

On the bright side,it's been so hot here my shop is like an oven,fans don't do much good blowing hot air.I caught up on my reading and I got to watch a good bit of the Olympics.We still have about 6 weeks of hot as hell weather to go.I can't complain for I'm in a lot better shape than many people younger than me(I'm 72). I'm ready to finish this Pontiac and get to another project car.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I made the trip south to work with Paul on the 1919 Lombard Tractor-Truck. It felt good to be putting it back together as opposed to tearing it down. Not many photos to share -  It was a pretty busy day! We made good progress and developed a plan for moving forward and hopefully get closer to moving this wonderful gem to the museum. 

image000000.jpeg.9dd54feb4e0ded94692df8d6317185b2.jpeg

As seems to be the case lately, I ended up heading back north with some fairly weighty parts in the back of the truck. These are the last of the components we need to put the 1934 Lombard Tractor-Truck on skis. Pictured are the front crossmember and steering quadrant. These will get cleaned up, painted and assembled with the skis. Hopefully, after our “Living History Days” event on October 5th and 6th, we can setup a workday to make the swap so the beast will be on skis for our winter event in February. 

IMG_1131.jpeg.5bd09b1aa12567b0c2f3c6ada7925665.jpeg

A very good day indeed!

• Like 6

Not as ambitious as some of the other projects but installing new battery cables and the massive battery cut off switch Matt uses to replace the junk in the Packard now.  Talked to some other Packard folks who tied to the generator mount or transmission but I am going to go right to the starter with one lead and the frame with a second.

Won't hold me up but I expect to get a battery box from John Ulrich Packard that is made to hold an Optima.  Will report on the product once I get it, and wonder if it might work on other cars..

Happy Labor Day Weekend folks!

20240830_071116.jpg

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Not as ambitious as some of the other projects but installing new battery cables and the massive battery cut off switch Matt uses to replace the junk in the Packard now.  Talked to some other Packard folks who tied to the generator mount or transmission but I am going to go right to the starter with one lead and the frame with a second.

Won't hold me up but I expect to get a battery box from John Ulrich Packard that is made to hold an Optima.  Will report on the product once I get it, and wonder if it might work on other cars..

20240830_071116.jpg

Keep us posted Steve!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

20240830_071116.jpg

Looks good. I built my own battery box out of wood...

DSCF5555.JPG

DSCF5558.JPG

DSCF5559.JPG

DSCF5560.JPG

DSCF5561.JPG

• Like 8

Doing some modern stuff the last couple of days for my bride. She wanted her new Maverick to look different than the other blue ones here in town. Thankfully she is satisfied with just stripes, she usually demands flames, lol..

PXL_20240222_020744661.jpg

PXL_20240829_195558573.jpg

DSCN5209.JPG

PXL_20240830_005000107.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

The Maverick looks nice, but I'd like to see more of that 'cat' in the background...  ;)

DSCN5209.JPG.cb79eee46d3326c03a6ce8a2158

EmTe, go back to page 26 for pics of our Tiger !  It also shows the 1st one we owned there too.

• Thanks 1

EmTe, yes sir, "peppy" is one way to describe it, lol.... Drove it to the car club breakfast this morning and it is such a Hoot !!!   My bride caught me pulling it back into the garage when I got home, lol.. Look how small it is beside that "compact  truck" ! Both of them probably have about the same horsepower, but the Tiger weighs quite a bit less, so ...... no contest, lol.

PXL_20240831_192917886.jpg

PXL_20240831_193005491.jpg

• Like 8

Oh the fun… as I wait for the title to arrive it’s time to disassemble and inspect the internals. I have to admit it is going well but slowly. There has been some surprising things, like spiked and or peened bolts that should not have been, and two rod caps had nails used as cotters. Definitely needs the rod Babbitt done but all the valve cages look good and there’s only a little bushing wear on the rocker arms. Pistons and bores are surprisingly clean for a 111 year old car. This was taken mid-day yesterday and it is completely out of the car with all the parts now labeled. I need to fight those peened bolts to get the clutch and flywheel off then the crank can come out of the mains for inspection. 

IMG_2082.jpeg

• Like 8

11:00 AM, sweat is pouring off me while wrestling the Delco starter back into place and my glasses are sliding off my head while the droplight, when it stays in place burns my arm.  Bolt flat out refuses to go in the hole..  Wondering just what kind of hobby is this anyway and a couple hours later another victory!  Between the correct ground materials and the additional CCA of the Optima this thing cranks like a modern car - initial tests show no loss at operating temp either.  Yeah!

On to the rest of my small projects... 😊

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Hey Steve if you get bored and want a break from all that Car stuff you can come over and help build the stone retaining wall we are working on.  ;)  It's dry, dusty and not a tree in sight for shade.  The cloudy days predicted have been clear.  Sure wish I could get some garage time.  I keep saving it for a rainy day,  but the tiny 1 mile square around us hasn't gotten rain that's measurable in more than two weeks, though the other side of town has gotten several inches.  Looks like no rain in the forecast for the week except the day of the big local car show.

• Like 1

Not sure if any one is working on taking a car here?

Not sure if I would go..

Edina was a mess..

The Edina Car Show started as a classic show, but has transformed into a more boutique show, with high-end luxury brands that are rarely seen outside of collections, including:

• Aston Martin

• Bentley

• Bugatti

• Ferrari

• Lamborghini

• Maserati

• Porsche

• Rolls Royce...and More!

thumbnail_IMG_5823b.png

thumbnail_IMG_5752.jpg

max.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Air or spring power?

Ben

Spring.  It is way more fun than the 10 pump air power, just pull the pump waaaaay back one time, but might not have quite the power.  Good for sitting on the back porch and shooting pine cones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Still plugging away at my house. I've decided to finish the master bedroom. I'm going for the rooms that I can't reasonably close off. This is one the 2nd floor. I built the 2nd floor and had to work with the post & beam frame of the house. As a result, the layout is rather odd. This little alcove is adjacent to the staircase and rather than build a wall here, which would shut off light from the window into the stairs, I'm going to make a screen (eventually). I'm also incorporating another bookcase here...the alcove will actually be used as a closet since one of the shortcomings of 18th century houses is that they had very few closets. I've been thinking about how to do the inside of the windows for a long time and finally settled on this...you can see what I started with and (although it isn't a good picture) and what I've ended up with. There are five of these dormers so this one was the test. Overall I'm pleased with it...

Windowunfinished.jpg.4afa4a65659496ba7b5620bfacf9d5bd.jpg

Windowfinished.jpg.de0e1e7cb651989b13c36874cdef884e.jpg

windowbookcase.jpg.9777e31f7728be286f88512c84742462.jpg

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 12

I've been replacing the rear axle brake shoes on my 1965 Studebaker Wagonaire with front disk brakes.  I put in new wheel cylinders, shoes, springs, etc.  The drums wouldn't fit on, thought the issue was just overly thick new linings.  Even after sanding them down, the drums wouldn't fit well enough to let the drums turn.  After much work and thought, I finally figured out I didn't have the yellow return springs in the correct holes in the shoes.  Fixed that and now all is well.  Wheel cylinders bled with hand-pumped vacuum pump, but I should flush the system with more Type 3 fluid.  The rear brakes are Lockheed type, non-self energizing, with cam-actuated adjusters.  The best 1930s technology!

brakespringcorrect.JPG.fa19bb1f706a5c0965136819acc37c52.JPGRear brakes on 1965 Studebaker Wagonaire with front disk brakes after putting the springs in the correct holes.

• Like 7

@Gary_Ash I am wondering if that clip behind the left shoe should be installed like the one on the right shoe? I also have Lockheed brakes in my 1948 Chrysler. Yes,  PITB to adjust but my purchase of the Miller MT-19H brake gauge helped get the brakes in order.

IMG_6103.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

@Gary_Ash I am wondering if that clip behind the left shoe should be installed like the one on the right shoe? I also have Lockheed brakes in my 1948 Chrysler. Yes,  PITB to adjust but my purchase of the Miller MT-19H brake gauge helped get the brakes in order.

IMG_6103.jpeg

YES! That clip must hold the shoe close to the backing plate. They should have a bit of white lube on there so the shoes slide easier.

@Jeff Perkins / Mn Actually, the clip on the left does capture the web on the shoe.  It’s the parking brake actuator that is exposed and it has to move forward to engage the link between the shoes.  

@keiser31 The backing plate did get small dabs of white grease on the contact points to help the shoes move.  I think I learned this more than 60 years ago. 

The hardest part of the job was torquing the axle nuts to the specified 170-200 ft lbs on the tapered axle shafts.  I’m not getting any younger or stronger!  The shop manual says to go to 170 ft lbs, then keep going until you can put the cotter pin through the castle nut and the hole in the axle.  Never back off the nut to put the cotter pin in!

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 1