Photo Caption Needed

John348

And there is 50 years of technology which comes to much better knowledge of how to lower the 0-60 and the Quarter Mile times compared to 1969.  Some interesting comments re: a brand new 1969 Charger where the announcer raves over a 14 second 1/4 mile time: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/110181-i-need-a-gas-station-attached-to-me-69-charger-promo-vid

Craig

I remember years ago going to a local car show with a close friend of mine that just completed a five year,  nut & bolt restoration on a '69 Camaro... it was beautiful. A brand new Corvette came in and parked right next to him, long story short, the Corvette won.

The look on my buddy's face said it all.....

Steve 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John348 said:

I was at a local show today on Long Island with some friends and had seen this car and all of it's trophy's on display, at first I thought it was a joke, but it was not!

Can you confirm they are all 'concours' awards? Or are they racing awards?  Or, perhaps half-and-half?

Some definitely appear to be racing competition awards.

Craig

Guest broker'bob

Perfect example of why I do not attend most local cruises and shows with my two 30s cars,,,,that,and the $20.00 Fee      somebody's fund raiser !

broker'bob has stated my feelings as well. I do understand the need to charge a fee for cars attending a show sponsored by a particular club - plaques cost $, so do fliers, entrance forms etc to publicize the show. But I gave up attending most shows some years ago because if I wanted to attend one every weekend during a month once the nice weather arrived it would cost me over $100 per month to do so - add in the gasoline cost, plus the registration for a show with awards - I don't care about awards , don't want any, never did, the feeling and knowledge that I have a car that I worked on to bring back to a level like it was when new which is now over 80+ years ago is what makes me feel good. Plus why should I pay for people to look at my car?  Everyone has their own reasons for owning the vehicles they do. The only "trophy" I have and am proud to have is one given to me at a Franklin Club event 40+ years ago - it is the Driver's Choice Award - only drivers of Franklins who attended the Franklin meet could vote and it was for the car they  would most like to own of the 50+ cars in attendance if they had a choice to do so.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

It often amazed me about the people that box up and transport every trophy they have ever won and display it in front of their car. The theory behind it is simple. First, it shows the judges how many trophies my car has won, so it must be the best.  Second, it tells the judges that if my car does not win a trophy at this event, they, the judges, don't know what they are doing. Some people need a lot of "stroking", to tell them how great they are. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At one point I had enough trophies that I used to save a few dollars at events by just having new labels created and reusing them.

Frankly the cars I like do/did not appeal to many  "Bright and shiny" wins over "rare and powerful".

Guest broker'bob

Since the car owner has invested large sums of money in restoration and maintenance, cost of getting to shows, risk of mishap, insurance,,,,, there has to be a better arrangement to show and  enjoy our cars,  mine have all original running gear,  the 36 has bias ply tire and am yet to try to fill the knee action shocks --------------------not a great ride------then the traffic with stick on floor  my 31 has to be double clutched -------sometimes, as I am getting older,  I ask my self why I did it---------the shows are just some one"s way to make money  and I guess as people get younger there is less interest in older cars at  shows ------the judges are younger so the 70s cars with the flames and chrome valve covers and alternators  seem the get the honors        does any one know the ins and out of loaning a car to a museum ?        the garage for the 36 is falling down and may not be able to rebuild right away     so much of my blood sweat and tears I hate to get rid of it yet ?

SHOW 1.jpg

SHOW PLYMOUTH.JPG

51 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

It often amazed me about the people that box up and transport every trophy they have ever won and display it in front of their car. The theory behind it is simple. First, it shows the judges how many trophies my car has won, so it must be the best.  Second, it tells the judges that if my car does not win a trophy at this event, they, the judges, don't know what they are doing. Some people need a lot of "stroking", to tell them how great they are. 

Biggest Looser, and they take pride in promoting themselves. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Biggest Looser, and they take pride in promoting themselves. 

I SECOND THAT!

There is nothing wrong with having a nice car and nothing wrong with getting a trophy, but to buy a new car and do it is rather vain, The real question I have is who actually handed that new car a trophy?

Guest broker'bob

in the town were live there is a cruse   third thursday of month        $ 5.00        they close main St      some what upscale      allot of people    last show a girl with a ratty 80s toyota  pick up truck was registered and an even reattier 70 station wagon was also in line      I guess they hoped for a trophy    

21 hours ago, John348 said:

I was at a local show today on Long Island with some friends and had seen this car and all of it's trophy's on display, at first I thought it was a joke, but it was not!

IMG_6529.JPG

One day at work, standing there feeling the wetness spread through his dark suit, he said .........

Those that bring new cars along with trophies to old car shows and cruise meets are simply displaying their need for ego gratification and validation by others.  It seems to be a common phenomenon now, men-children who aren't comfortable with their personal identity that have to publicly display a costly 'toy' to elevate their social status.    Any recognized expensive niche car will do, make isn't important.  Equally quickly when the fawning admiration of their contemporaries wears off for the current car, that car is replaced with whatever promises to renew impressing those whose admiration they crave.  Its quite a sad cycle to observe.     

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, padgett said:

It appears that people supporting old cars cannot afford nice clothes. Some cannot even afford sleeves.

It would appear that way, but Nassau County NY on Long Island is one of the higher income as well as taxed places in the country, the car shows just seem to attract a lot of "slobs" (I am sure Walt G and 46 Woodie can confirm this)

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

My guess is the trophies were People's Choice awards presented to the car that got the most votes from the spectators at a local car show.  The car that gets the most attention gets the award. A 700 horsepower Hemi gets lots of attention.

No Ronnie at this show they actually had a individual judged class for the new Challanger's, Mustang's, Camaro's and Corvette's. I guess at $25 day of show the promoter found what they customers wanted to pack the in. There was close to 2,000 cars there. From what I had seen and heard it has been the norm for a few years now to judge these cars at these events.

• Thanks 1

Have you ever looked in display cases and seen

how beautiful the trophies were many decades ago?

The AACA office's front entry has such examples.

Some might have been sterling silver, but even

those of silver plate were artistically designed.

To be so nice, they must have been rare, true honors--

even engraved with the owner's name.

Today, I really don't care about trophies!  Most are 

made of particle board, thin extruded aluminum

(inexpensively gold colored), and plastic.  For the

biggest trophies, they just cut the aluminum body

longer to make the trophy higher!

Image result for antique trophies

Image result for antique trophies

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Is a restomod the old new ?

Had one local cruise that almost foundered because one of the rules was "before 1983". Opened it up to the kids today with all the flashing LEDs and now we get a chance to let them know there is an "old school" without excluding them.

Right now I have two "antiques", three other "old" cars, and one tow car (with a DOHC-6). The "antiques" began as just "old", I tend to keep ones enjoyed for decades.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, padgett said:

Is a restomod the old new ?

Had one local cruise that almost foundered because one of the rules was "before 1983". Opened it up to the kids today with all the flashing LEDs and now we get a chance to let them know there is an "old school" without excluding them.

Right now I have two "antiques", three other "old" cars, and one tow car (with a DOHC-6). The "antiques" began as just "old", I tend to keep ones enjoyed for decades.

No,  it was a new one, with some bolt on chrome BS, the only rules were to take in as much money as possible at $25 a car by the promoter. There had to be over 2000 cars (my estimate). It was run by the town of Oyster Bay which seem to have a yearly donation to the state prisons NYS of "officials." It is one of the if not the highest taxed Towns in Nassau County. 

It was down on the ocean and it was a perfect day on Long Island. The only reason i went is because a few of my Friends from the local Chevy Club were going and invited me, compounded by the good weather. I left around 12:30. I am in the process of trying to sell one of my cars and figured it would be great exposure. I figured wrong, I only got to meet the bottom feeders from Craigslist in person. 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two things a Florida native does not pay for:

- parking

- event participation (unless 100% for charity)

I often go to a free event by a car museum that is usually 20-50 cars and range from a T-bucket to things that hide the engine under a cover, all are welcome and we can just talk car.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, John348 said:

No,  it was a new one, with some bolt on chrome BS,

Don't you imagine that was what the old guys were saying in 1969 when they were looking at new 1969 Challengers?  Everyone has their own idea of what a show car should be.  I happen to like looking at them all. If the new cars are what attracts the young people to car shows I'm all for it..

49 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

My insurance agent out here told me about a story where he watched a guy throw a second place trophy through his own windshield.

That would be a great video :)

I used to shoot archery tournaments a long time ago, every Sunday they gave out trophies and over a course of about three years, I accumulated a bunch of them 1st 2nd or 3rd and sometimes none. I had them on display, and then I got tired of looking at them because staring at my own trophy was like staring at a picture of myself, pointless. I eventually started throwing them in a box. I seen guys almost come to blows over them and several verbal arguments and accusing others of cheating etc. I eventually came to the realization, the competition was ruining the whole thing for most, instead of just getting together and enjoying the sport, people were competing against one another. To get a real understanding of a trophy, watch "The Gods must be crazy" Very similar..

I don't like trophy's anymore, I was awarded one for my Locomobile this past summer, it's under the backseat of my truck tangled up in the jumper cables the last time I seen it. The only thing that has kept me from throwing it away is out of respect for the people that gave it to me. It was the same thing, guys next to me kind of looking over at it and me with contempt. Screw all that, I do things to spend time with like minded folks, joke around with the public and enjoy myself. We don't need no steenkin trophies.

My experience with the whole award thing is, the people that want them, need them.

-Ron

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Locomobile said:

That would be a great video :)

I used to shoot archery tournaments a long time ago, every Sunday they gave out trophies and over a course of about three years, I accumulated a bunch of them 1st 2nd or 3rd and sometimes none. I had them on display, and then I got tired of looking at them because staring at my own trophy was like staring at a picture of myself, pointless. I eventually started throwing them in a box. I seen guys almost come to blows over them and several verbal arguments and accusing others of cheating etc. I eventually came to the realization, the competition was ruining the whole thing for most, instead of just getting together and enjoying the sport, people were competing against one another. To get a real understanding of a trophy, watch "The Gods must be crazy" Very similar..

I don't like trophy's anymore, I was awarded one for my Locomobile this past summer, it's under the backseat of my truck tangled up in the jumper cables the last time I seen it. The only thing that has kept me from throwing it away is out of respect for the people that gave it to me. It was the same thing, guys next to me kind of looking over at it and me with contempt. Screw all that, I do things to spend time with like minded folks, joke around with the public and enjoy myself. We don't need no steenkin trophies.

My experience with the whole award thing is, the people that want them, need them.

-Ron

Have you ever run across people that rate a show based on whether they win first or not? There was a local show put on by the town to honor a car guy that lived to be 100 years old, great guy, and a great show with good quality cars from all eras. Loved the show, but a friend didn't get another trophy for his pile and bad mouthed the event whenever he could. 

• Like 1