Then and now: where did these prewar cars go?

twin6

That's why I posted it, hoping someone following the thread would recall the owner, or a car fitting that description in that location so we could add that name to the online roster page for a surviving car.  Odds are the car is on the roster, but we've never known which car it is.  The Stanley roster keeper and I have dozens of photos like these, of cars we know exist but for which we cannot make the connection without the help of others so another name can be added to the car's provenance.  Clubs like A-C-D and RROC have had great records on ownership for a very long time, setting a kind of gold standard.  For those of us working on other marques that got by comparison a late start, there is a lot of work to do and we need help.  Hopefully others who have photos from decades ago will feel welcome and be motivated to post them here and reap the benefit of the collective knowledge of the followers, regardless of marque.  I didn't set out to make this a thread limited to specific marques, but admit its focus has only been as broad as the photos posted and we just happen to have a lot of Packard and Stanley photos from 50+ years ago!  We need others to share old photos and knowledge of specific vehicles to help make this work.

• Like 2

Can't resist adding one of my favorite shots, that barn find Stanley after it was restored by John Ray Lyman, being driven by then-owner Zacheus Cande on the 1963 Glidden.  The car was lately in the automobile collection at the Grandson Castle, in Switzerland.  That museum closed very recently - has anyone heard what happened to the cars?

GliddenHill.thumb.jpg.a9aa986819e981f83cdc62c538b66290.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A car I never saw, but have been asked about many times: this 1924 Mercedes was owned by Charlie Arnholm, who ran a motel in Barre, VT. He ran the car in the 50's and 60's, and probably parted with it by the early 1970's.  Does anyone know where it is today, and maybe have a recent photo to share?

Arnholm.jpg

Freshly-discovered photo of a Duesenberg supercharged convertible sedan.  The back says "1934 Duseenberg 1934 supercharged, John Seelinger, owner, sold at time of photo for $1500."

Skirted front fenders that come low over the tires, sidemounts, flat windshield, no vent windows, center door handles, unskirted rear fenders, integrated trunk - I can't find one like it in a quick internet search.

Duesenberg_Seelinger.thumb.jpg.d1e4483815fc2df7effcd071f9cfa2e6.jpg

On 1/10/2019 at 6:08 AM, twin6 said:

Another '13 Lozier I assume is still around.  Photos from the 1950's, I believe, Alberta, Canada.  Thank you Lozierman and others for helping ID cars from long ago.

a.jpg

b.jpg

This was Charlie Parker of Red Deer Alberta. I have no idea what happened to his cars. A very nice man.

Edited by 13White (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 1:23 PM, StanleyRegister said:

Freshly-discovered photo of a Duesenberg supercharged convertible sedan.  The back says "1934 Duseenberg 1934 supercharged, John Seelinger, owner, sold at time of photo for $1500."

Skirted front fenders that come low over the tires, sidemounts, flat windshield, no vent windows, center door handles, unskirted rear fenders, integrated trunk - I can't find one like it in a quick internet search.

You will have to keep looking, with a twist.  I understand the body is now on a different chassis, and the chassis now sports a different body. 

Hmm, maybe neither of the owners would be that interested...  it's not really a photo of their car.  It would be an interesting story about why they chose to make 2 Duesenbergs out of 2 Duesenbergs.  Sure looks like one humdinger of a long chassis!  If it got a roadster body it must be pretty impressive.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

I vaguely  recall seeing a article in a 1960's Antique Automobile about a fire that destroyed several classic Packard's including if I remember correctly FDR's parade car. Any one have any further info ?

Greg

I think it use to be a J.C Taylor insurance company advertisement.

• 8 months later...

Where is this car today?  A steamer made up by a Mr. Benoit, with a Stanley engine mounted forward of the firewall.  He called it a Stan-Ben.  Does the car survive, or was it dismantled and used as a donor for other projects?

Stan-Ben.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Where is this car today?  A steamer made up by a Mr. Benoit, with a Stanley engine mounted forward of the firewall.  He called it a Stan-Ben.  Does the car survive, or was it dismantled and used as a donor for other projects?

Other than the 6 foot high windshield that is pretty cool.   Makes me think of the steam powered auburn coupe that was for sale last year, although a much later car.

When growing up in the outskirts of Detroit in the 60's a neighbor had a few very interesting Cadillac's. One was a large pre war open car which they described as an FDR parade car. Seems the last name of the owner was Barthet. Do you think it was an FDR car and is it still around?  

Thanks

Dave 

28 minutes ago, Dave39MD said:

When growing up in the outskirts of Detroit in the 60's a neighbor had a few very interesting Cadillac's. One was a large pre war open car which they described as an FDR parade car. Seems the last name of the owner was Barthet. Do you think it was an FDR car and is it still around?  

Thanks

Dave 

Much like every single german car delivered to England was attributed to Count Von Ribbontrop,  every big 1930s  touring  car in the U.S. was an FDR parade car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2019 at 1:23 PM, StanleyRegister said:

That Duesenberg is identified on Page 201 of Fred Roe's text as having a body built in 1931 by Seattle Auto Rebuilders, mounted on car 2451, J439.  It was remounted on another chassis in 1935, later it was replaced with a Murphy dual cowl phaeton replica, but this convertible sedan body was being restored to use on yet another Duesenberg J chassis.  Its still out there somewhere, seems as if it went through the auctions cycle a few years ago.  Some elements of this body make me wonder if Seattle Auto Rebuilder modified an existing convertible sedan body from another car to create this one.  I can't quite put my finger on what car that body and coachbuilder it came from.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Did all Duesenberg J's leave the factory with front fenders? The ones on the car look different than most IMO. Bob 

That heavy skirting was a Bohman & Schwartz trick, grafted on modernize the look in the mid-'30's.  Frankly, all it did was make the cars look heavy and without grace.

13 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

That heavy skirting was a Bohman & Schwartz trick, grafted on modernize the look in the mid-'30's.  Frankly, all it did was make the cars look heavy and without grace.

I wasn’t talking about the skirted car with the Seattle Auto body, but the other picture which looks more like an Isotta Franchini  to me than Duesenberg.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 6:33 PM, Walt G said:

That Franklin barrel hood touring is either a model D or most likely the model H. The model H was the largest the model G the smallest engine wise, the G had 4 cylinder the H a 6 cylinder. look at the length of the hood - that is a good indication, I think it is a model H. I have no idea if the car still exists.

Wonder what model Ralph DeAngrlis had? I remember it was a bid barrel hood but can't remember if it was a 4 or 6. Bob