Duesenberg

Xander Wildeisen

1 minute ago, CarlLaFong said:

Jeeze........who sells a Duesenberg on eBay??? What's next? A Bugatti Royale on Craigslist?

He who wants worldwide coverage in advertising. Ebay pretty much has the best exposure to the most people.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

He who wants worldwide coverage in advertising. Ebay pretty much has the best exposure to the most people.

Granted. However, the Duesenberg cult is a small elite group. I would think that all you would need to do is make it known that the car is for sale. Why give ePay a percentage of the selling price. He could contact the club or Randy Ema and notify them that J 575 is for sale and within weeks, everyone with the wherewithal to buy a J-Berg would know about it. This does not preclude the chance that the seller is using eBay as a cheap method of advertising a car that might end up selling "locally"

• Like 1

Only 2199 park light sets and you can buy it Xander.  

I decided to get artsy the other night and replace my Avitar with a vehicle I actually have.  Makes more sense.  It's a good looking truck anyways.  Can't help but like the lines.  I might even put it in the Hemmings car show tomorrow.  We'll see.  Lots of things I should do around the ranch,  but from what I see,  Hudsons are not well represented in the local area at shows.  3000 rods and original cars last weekend pre 1980 and not one Hudson of any era there.  Well not until I drove mine down on Sunday.  Most common comment  "I've never seen one of those before.  They made a truck?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

There is little risk of that car selling anywhere near that price.  I agree with the argument that putting it on eBay “devalues” it.  Exposure with a car Duesenberg is actually bad for most buyers.

I don't know enough about Duesenberg J models to make any comments, I do see a lot of red flags on that one, did George Barris have anything to do with the interior? Bob 

Reminds me of this recent Hemmings ad for a 1933 Packard Twelve Dietrich Individual Custom Convertible Sedan. 

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/packard/custom/2161436.html

From the text: "The car is a Senior CCCA National Winner , AACA National Winner and has been to Pebble Beach as well. This car shows, drives and runs excellently. This car is equipped with all of the accesorites including factory radio mounted to the steering column and deluxe gasoline cap. A truly superb car in every way at a reasonable price."   With those accessorites and a deluxe gas cap all at a reasonable price, seems hard to say no.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

ebay does NOT get a percentage of the selling price. total cost is 125. to sell ANY car on ebay, unless you ad frills to your listing. then it goes up only 25-50. buckaroos.

a bargain for worldwide exposure.

They make up for it on all the other fees they hit us peon sellers with including the whole shipping scam where they keep their percentage even when you refund the difference back to customer for multiple purchases.  Now that's a scam that should be investigated.  It's probably not alot,  but not alot from a million sellers adds up to whole lot of cheese or a nice yacht for an executive bean counter. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

It used to be the winning bidder on something like this was often a kid in Spiderman jammies and 75 dollars in the bank. Have they figured out a way to weed out those bogus bidders? "Sale Fell Through --- Re-Listed" was often the explanation.

There was an "A" Duesenberg for sale on ebay in 2007, I think. Photo taken in a basement garage with no lighting with a ho-hum cell-phone. Couldn't tell if it was a Victoria, Coupe, or Sedan. Bidding went up to almost $45,000. Might have sold at that price as little as the early Duesenbergs were regarded back then.

Insanity to list that car on eBay, even though it’s a rebody. There are pleanty of rebodied J’s out there and anyone who has a true interest in one knows how to find a car without any difficulty. When is the last time someone bought a Duesenberg on impulse? Or as a first car? Makes no sense to be put for sale on an on line auction, My guess I’d the current owner bought a car to flip while having no clue about cars or Model J’s. And the rebody story while probably accurate sure doesn’t have the style or panache of a major auction catalog.

With higher end cars that are one off or two off or part of very small batches there is cache in having something that has not been seen in years.   The one that comes to mind is Judge Cassini's Lebaron that just sold at Pebble for 3.something million.  That car had a million dollar restoration on it,  BOS at Pebble, numerous other best of shows.  I'm thinking that if it was unrestored and out of sight and then brought to market it would have brought more money.

So,  exposing it to the entire world is not necessarily what I would do.   Somebody in east overshoe may buy a 10k camaro on a whim because they saw it on ebay.  Nobody is jumping in to a Duesenberg without a lot of thought, regardless of your net worth.

• Thanks 1

It used to be the winning bidder on something like this was often a kid in Spiderman jammies and 75 dollars in the bank. Have they figured out a way to weed out those bogus bidders? "Sale Fell Through --- Re-Listed" was often the explanation.

NOPE! have a 450sl on ebay right now. Newbie bid on it, but it was an "accident". ebay doesnt give a fk. thats how it goes..................................

but you do get more exposure then you would through any other venue. Hemmings? forgetaboutit. Craigs list- forgetaboutit!  The auction houses take your first born, so that isnt a viable selling place for a basic car.

Have been contacted in the past, when an ebay listing ran out and have been able to sell after the fact. Again, it matters not to ebay, they got their listing fees.

Quality sells it's self, no matter what make of car, or what venue is used to sell it. I have sold stuff on craigslist, ebay, Hemmings, club magazines, swap meets, different websites and word of mouth. A desirable car pops up for sale, interested buyers are not really going to care where they saw it. I would not loose any sleep saying I bought a Duesenberg on ebay. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

edinmass, what is the story on the bumper? I have never seen a front bumper like that. ( on the black car above)

Very easy answer.......I have no idea why it’s like that.......but........it’s a very nice car......so my money is on it’s some kind of special order or something. 

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

so my money is on it’s some kind of special order or something.

So the shop restored two Duesenbergs. One came out with a double curved bar bumper, the other double straight. "Sort out those parts that came back from the plater."

• Haha 1

All Dusenburg engines and chassis were built in 1929.  May not of been assembled until 30, 31 or 32.  Tomorrow’s drive is about 250 miles in total so it should be quite an event.  There appears to be 26 cars plus or minus.  See at  least one Pebble Beach best of show winner.  Lots more closed cars than I would’ve expected.  Heading over the white and green mountains on the first day should be quite a challenge.  I’ll post some photos and update tomorrow.   Interestingly there are quite a few one off cars. 

F2F4F4B8-790C-4BA4-B9C6-30538686D8BB.jpeg

A9965848-ADC5-4548-9058-4FFB1FC7431E.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)