Please introduce yourself...

Guest buick51special

I am from the SW Virginia area living near Mt. Airy, NC also known as Mayberry. Lucked up on this Buick, runs good but mostly will need complete interior work, paint, and tires. Just trying to get a starting point, and ideas.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:13 AM, buick51special said:

Hello, I am new here. Just bought a 51 Buick Special and I am soon going to start on this project. Hoping that this site will help.

6.jpg

07.jpg

int.jpg

In my opinion, it looks almost finished as is. ;)  Nice car!

• Like 1

Hi. Finally getting around and stepping into the Buick world. My dad had a few as did my uncles. I purchased a 1967 Buick Wildcat convertible custom ps,pb,pa (with 89000 miles) last year and will be starting the restoration process this winter . My goal is to do Route 66 in it with my son. It has a 455 in it for now as I'm overhauling the original 430. 

The war and finance department isn't happy with purchase.... I told her "it will be a great bonding experience with OUR son" we already have a great relationship but I've learned what levers to pull lol.

Looking forward to learning from the knowledgable members on this forum. 

Regards

Jim 

IMG_0029.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 67wildcatconvertible said:

I purchased a 1967 Buick Wildcat convertible custom ps,pb,pa (with 89000 miles) last year and will be starting the restoration process this winter ...

The war and finance department isn't happy with purchase....

IMG_0029.JPG

What restoration does it need? 

She has her very own spot with an electric heater on her side lol...  A clean garage yikes !!! It was recently cleaned and still have more to do. The dining room hutch I've been dragging around for 20 years. It her moms and she won't part with it. As for a sick mind  well it depends what you think sick is lol.... It sure is nice to find what I need for a change. My son did the oil change on it and loved how easy it was... He is hooked on the car !!!

As as for what it needs. The picture is deceiving..... The seats need redoing the dash isn't to bad....the dash pad isn't cracked either.

new front floors all lower quarter panels need attention. Also a new top with rear glass is needed.The frame is in great shape and here is my dilemma total frame off (my preference) or semi restoration. ? I scored on a hood, trunk lid, two doors, front bumper (mine needs work but I'll repair it)  a left fender is decent shape, a front grille in mint condition  and wheel well Chrome pieces. Paid $500 for all of it. The wife will have the nick name MoF (minister of finance )from now on  ...  wasn't impressed  with that one either until I mentioned her Michael Kores  purse. That went well lol. She's a good gal and just likes her fun with me. The wiper motor needs to be installed needs a windshield , a heater. The brakes are all done except the brake lines. The drive shaft is is all overhauled. The suspension has all new ball joints and tie rods. 

I guess it it depends how far down the Buick rabbit hole I want to go  ... Hmmm. Red pill or the blue pill ?

Hello Everyone...

I have been a member of the Yahoo 27 Buick group for nearly 20 years...for some reason just never joined the AACA Buick forum...until today!

I know Mark Shaw, Fred Rawling, and a number of the Buick 'heros' on here. I was raised in the backseat of Antique Buicks, and own two 1928 Buicks.

I'm an Antique Automobile Preservationist with 40(ouch!) years of research, knowledge and skill in this skull of mine. I'm happy to help anyone I can with issues of Preserving their pre-war Buick. I have a large collection of private, internal documents, that were saved from the 'great-burn' of 1973 in Flint, MI. 

Best Regards,

-BRENT

• Like 2

Welcome Brent.  Glad to have you as a part of the forum.

Because of your 40 year experience and knowledge, I would like to encourage you post your home and cell number on this forum.  Probably your home address and that of most of your close relatives and friends as well just to be sure we can get in touch with you for help with our cars. (Surely I jest - you cannot do that!)

Ken

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gumby said:

Hi I'm Shane, just got this bronze mist '63. I've been wanting a first gen for a looong time and now finally have one! 

image.jpeg

Nice looking car.  Be sure to post some pictures on the Riviera Owners forum.  (Scroll down tne Buick forums, it's close to the bottom.)

• Like 1

Hi Everyone!  My name is Dan, im 29 and live a little outside of Boston, MA, and I've lurked on this forum off an on over the years, but was compelled to join after reading through Gary W's 1937 buick restoration thread . I work in a laboratory as a day job, but I have a hobby shop for putzing around with old cars in my freetime. I recently bought my first Buick,  a 1937 Century Coupe,  that is pretty well blown apart, but the puzzle pieces are fairly well documented. The century did not come with an engine, trans, interior or steering column/box,  but for the most part, im very pleased with the condition of the body. A few spots or rust and rot, but nothing is beyond recognition or enough to be too worried about, as the fenders, hood and trunk are all immaculate. I have a few other projects im trying to finish up,  and a few others waiting to be started, but Im most excited about starting on the buick. I've worked on a few other pre war, late 30's cars, (Chevrolets and Plymouths) but had mostly been updated  to be a little too modern and were both front clipped/ sbc powered and not really to my tastes.

Since everyone likes pictures, a few of the current projects I am either spearheading or a part of,  (and im not entirely sure what order these will post in). some of the buick when I was picking it up in Upstate New York, a fairly involved sheetmetal project for a 66 gto, a matching numbers 64 impala SS that I am working on with a buddy, a 58 Edsel Villager station wagon that another buddy and I picked up for him a few weeks ago that is just getting started, and some pictures of the dash for an 80's squarebody c10 I have had as a back burner project for a few years, scratch built dash using scrap shelving and based around shoebox ford gauges and clock.

Looking forward to learning a lot on here and offering help where I can!

buick1.jpg

buick2.jpg

buick3.jpg

gto.jpg

64impal.jpg

c10dash1.jpg

c10dash2.jpg

c10dash3.jpg

edsel trailer.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Welcome!  Interesting range of projects Stooge.  A little bit of everything going on there.  Your friends are lucky you have that big shop. 

Thanks! It keeps it interesting always having something different to work on especially if I get a little burned out on one of them, plus its just fun!  the truck that the dash belongs to has been a pretty extensive project, but its air suspension truck and wasn't sure what is off topic so I just put up a few of the interior ones.  I think they more like that I live alone and subsequently, am thought of as  always being "around" for when they need/ want to do something!

6 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

No garage is ever "big enough" :)

How very true that is! I've been in talks with the owner of the Edsel wagon about going in on a bigger shop/ storage space but haven't found anything that fits the bigger,  close enough and affordable rubric!

26 minutes ago, kgreen said:

That's a great looking project and will be a hot little number when finished.  You should contact Dave Tacheny for drive train parts that are missing, this car is worthy of a restoration!

Thanks! I've wanted a prewar coupe of my own for awhile, but was actually in the market for a 49-54 GM coupe to make into a little hopped up, straight 6 daily driver, but came across this one when searching the regional craigslists ,and was also posted for sale over on the jalopy journal forums. it was a steal of a price in my opinion, came with hundreds of tagged and bagged parts from whoever blew it apart, and most importantly, and coincidentally since I bought it in upstate new York,  has a clean Massachusetts title!  It probably will not be a 100% correct restoration, but it also will not be anywhere close to getting a Camaro front clip and an LS either! I do intend on keeping the suspension and steering as close to stock, manual steering and brakes,  although there will be a deciding cost factor as far as the torque tube rear end is concerned and what I will be using for a driveline. I intend to drive this car a lot when its done, and although a straight 320 is ideal, (possibly with the Bendtsens adapter to an OD trans),  Im not so opposed to using something like a 401/425 nailhead mated to a 4speed if a good deal pops up.  I guess its something I need to decide on, along with seats and a steering column so i can start mocking stuff up when i start on it, hopefully in the next few weeks if i can finish up some other things and shuffle some cars around.

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat_Tony said:

How's it going everybody? I'm Tony and the proud new owner of a 53 Buick Special. And I've already got a series of questions..lol.

IMG_0368.JPG

Nice to see another "more door"  She looks awesome and the gang here is happy to help.  Also be sure to use the search function in the top right to see if some questions might have been answered already!  I joined 6 years ago and love it. Welcome!

She runs like a champ! I was told the last owner never let her stay outside overnight in 20 years, he bought from a friend who did the same. I couldn't fill the surface area of 12x12 with the amount of surface rust, back seat looks great...front seat not so much. I think I found the original registration...or I can way off lol..attached photo. 

And thanks for the warm reception! 

IMG_0373.JPG

Yeah, there was an Ebert Buick in Winchester Virginia. That's all production data. An early form of the factory manifest or "build sheet" if you will. I've never seen one quite like it. TAKE CARE OF IT!!!

Take a look at your cowl tag and see how the numbers compare... Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hey everybody! Been on the forum a short while and want to introduce myself and my soon-to-be 3-speed B60. Attaining this from my wife's uncle. Just over 29k original miles on the car (not 129k, paperwork was all saved and reflects the low mileage). Flint built car that has been in Wisconsin all its life. I will certainly be popping in here for advice in the near future!

21686385_10159400726590565_8656064710912512242_n.jpg

Edited by Karl B (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I'm Sliger machine, I have a Buick problem, they all won`t fit in my garage, so I can only fix up one at a time.  A 1925 is going to be first, at 50 I decided to spend more time on my own stuff, I normally fix everybody else's problems, I'm a machinist, that don't know how to type or spell.

20171024_214128_Film1[1].jpg

20171024_214235_Film1[1].jpg

Edited by sligermachine
first time to put picture on internet (see edit history)
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, sligermachine said:

hi im sligermachine  i have a Buick problem they all won`t fit in my garage so i can only fit up one at a time a 1925 is going to be first  at 50 i decided to spend more time on my own stuff i normally fix every body else problems im a machinest that dont know how to tipe or spell

Welcome abord  sligermachine, I can tell you're going to fit in purfictley hear? Be sure and drop down to the Pre War forum, there's a bunch of knowledgeable guys there always willing to share their knowledge and wit. Also please share more about that '25 in the Me and My Buick forum. ?

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mikefit said:

Newbie Here. Mike F Spent 25yrs service manager at a large  (Ford Lincoln Mercury) at that time now just Ford Lincoln. Love cars that are older than me 77yrs +++ . Belong to 3 car club s and president of our local one just love it..Mike

Welcome Mike!  Do you have any cars older than you at the time?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Kevin J. Keenan

My name is Kevin Keenan and I am the director of the New Jersey chapter of the Buick Club of America. If you live in New Jersey or the surrounding area and would like to become a member of our chapter we would love to have you as a member. Send me an email and we will send you an application.

Kevin Keenan

(908) 461-8301

kevinjkeenan@aol.com

• 3 weeks later...