Please introduce yourself...

36 minutes ago, kcdano said:

Greeting all from Kansas City. New Member looking to take the jump into my dream car world, so please bare with me. I am 49 news young and just now too the point i can do this.. So my first question is care value.... Example, i found an 1987 GN with 30k miles that is stated to be a Grade #2 via hagerty, the classic dealer is asking $31k for it- 100% stock.. How do i know that is a true good value for this car? The car is at volo classic cars in IL. WWW.volocars.com 

I would appreciate your guys help on this.

Thanks 
Dan

Hi Dan, glad you are here!

I've been a big fan of turbo Buicks since the late '80s myself, but have never owned one. I've been tracking prices on these for a while now, and it's amazing the wide price ranges I see on these things.  

Are you on Facebook?  There are a few groups I'm in over there where the guys have been pretty helpful with breaking down some of the factors that affect the value of these cars. 

Greetings KCDANO!  Welcome to this forum.  Hope you find what you like here. 

As for the GN, Are they going for that type of $$$ on E bay?  I think e bay is among the best resources for researching the value of something.  It lets you see where people find value in general, and then you need to look at the individual vehicle to see if there are other plus's and minus' to that particular unit.

Good luck in your search!

2 hours ago, Vertigo65RIV said:

Hello guys and gals 

I'm new to this type of chat. Am restoring a 65 Riviera and I'm in search for the horn bar for the  wood steering wheel?

Look in the Riviera Owners' forum.  Rick just posted a thread stating that he's just received a batch of his reproductions from his chrome plater.  Your timing couldn't be better.  Word to the wise, you'd better hurry and pull the trigger on this offer.

Ed

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Vertigo65RIV said:

Hello guys and gals 

I'm new to this type of chat. Am restoring a 65 Riviera and I'm in search for the horn bar for the  wood steering wheel?

What Ed was referring to, down in the ROA forum. Click the blue text. 

Then come back and actually introduce yourself here. ?

• 2 weeks later...

oh oh    didn't know it was  point of  discussion, tbh  I think it is a bit to big, but it came off

an old Buick so its got history

paul

• 4 weeks later...

I am Kristyna. I just got my mothers 1985 riviera convertible out of a shipping container from the back of the family farm house. It has been back there since 2000; the year my mother got sick and had to go to a rehab facility. For Christmas this year she gifted me the car. We got it out and are shocked at the condition. Interior is beautiful, not a spec of rust on the body, about 10 hours of cleaning and she looks like when I used to ride in the back seat with no seat belt standing up with out a care. Times were different. The only thing I feel needs to be replaced at this point is the bumper fillers, and that's how I ended up here. We know nothing about Buicks and we need your help, what says the group? Where do I get bumper fillers? Btw my boyfriend thinks the car is his... IMG_0009.thumb.JPG.4ca72440b041424dee4655f81dbe97a6.JPG

• Like 2

There are two kinds of bumper fillers; ABS and fiberglass.  Contact Jeff at CARS (www.ololdbuickparts.com) and talk to him.  He sells both kinds and can tell you what has been said about them. I don't know why there's an extra ol in the link, but you get the idea.

One word of advice - no matter how good the tires on the car may look, if they're over seven years old, they've started to deteriorate from the inside.   You don't want to be driving that beautiful car and have a tire explode on you at highway speeds. 

Go back to the main Buick forum and scroll down till you find the Riviera Owners Assn forum.  Tons of info on Rivieras by Riviera Owners.  Someone besides me will also invite you to join  the Riviera Owners Assn.  Started in 1984 and we have close to 3000 members, in the states and internationally. We have a large annual meeting where you can meet others with the same interests. Too late to register for this year's meet - it's in two weeks in Reno/Lake Tahoe. The ROA website is in my signature block.

Ed

• Like 1

Thanks Ed! The tires do "look" good so I will be sure to discuss this with my mechanic when he assesses the whole car tomorrow.

I am located in Central New York, so although a trip to Reno/Lake Tahoe sounds fantastic, I probably have to put that off a few years. Any locals in the Fingerlakes?

The most bazaar thing happened.... at 5:30 this morning the horn started blasting until I went out and pushed it a couple times. And of course it's the freight train sounding horn that can be heard from afar and wake everyone up! It's extremely sensitive to the touch, could the wiring be too close? I'm definitely mentioning this to my mechanic too since I would hate for it to go off when I'm not home and terrorize the neighborhood or drain the battery. 

I joined the Riviera Oweners forum. I'm not much of an online person but will check in sometimes and post more pics as we get rolling. 

Thanks again!

Read this first.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

Check the DOT date on the tire and see how old they are.  If your mechanic says they're okay, go with the tire date, not an opinion, . There are places on line that show you how to read tire dates.   If they're old and he still says "they're good" find a new mechanic.  He cannot look inside the rubber to see if it's started to disintegrate.  There is no way to tell by looking. Don't put yourself at risk.  Seriously

Did you call Jeff? What did he tell you?

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:16 AM, KristynaElaine said:

I am located in Central New York, so although a trip to Reno/Lake Tahoe sounds fantastic, I probably have to put that off a few years. Any locals in the Fingerlakes?

While I'm not certain about Riviera owners in the Finger Lakes, there is an active chapter of the Buick club of America there. They can be reached at 585 621 4312

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from Steamy Florida!

I'm a retired surgeon with an addiction to 50's GM vehicles.

I try to do most of the work on my cars myself and I've seen lots of good information here.

I look forward to picking your brains.

Just purchased my dream car, a 1953 Skylark, about a month ago.

Also have a 55 Century pictured below in my recently completed garage (probably as clean as it will ever be)

Bill

IMG_3161_zpsfbqhxkbc.jpg

IMG_3097_zpshkuo26ef.jpg

• Like 8

Guest parkisw

Greetings, I have been a member of the BCA for about 9 years. I just love the Lesabre's and Electra's with the front opening hoods. While they may be nor as collectible as other Buicks they are hard to beat for daily transportation. They are also getting hard to find in good condition. I love Buick's but my funds are limited so this makes a great collector/driver. This is an 89 LeSabre Limited originally sold at Liberty Buick Glendale Arizona, it now has 74,000 miles. Purchased for $900.00. Had Air converted and Trans services along with a few other minor repairs so I now have a great driver for $1400.00. I plan on keeping this car- seeing as I live in Wisconsin don't know what to do next winter...

Hope to drive it in the car cruise in Brookfield next Wednesday  

IMG_20170529_122406257_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170621_184045381.jpg

IMG_20170509_144309732_HDR.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest 503Labs

Hello,

New to this site.  Very interested in old Buicks.  Trying to identify the model that my great-great-grandpa had.  Will be posting about that shortly.  

I live in the midwest and really looking to learn more about the very early models!

Zach

Guest alleyyooper

I am Al, started getting called ally by my daughter when she was about 12 and it stuck although I did ad the e in alley. Yooper comes from the fact I fished there for many years and fell in love with the area and even bought property to retire to when that time came. How ever that didn't happen and we are thinking of selling our frontage on Big Bay DeNoc.

I am a tractor guy and own about 22 Massey Harris tractors from a 1938 101 to a 1957 555 diesel. It is my wife's fault as I only wanted one to start with for antique tractor pulling, while searching for a real Junker for parts she said I should just collect them. I have to admit my dad was a lot of help loading them on the trailer and dragging tie down chains when we started taking them to shows and quit the pulling mess. I kept at it after dad passed but I had aged along the way and it got more and more tiring doing the loading and loading.

1951 Massey 44 gas on maiden trip down the track with dad at the controls for a second place finish.

44_single_fronr_wheel.jpg

Told Kare I needed a old car or truck I could drive to shows, and just stopped taking the tractors to shows.

The 1985 Buick Le Sabre CE entered my life before I married my wife by 12 days in fact. It was a beautiful two tone gray belonging to my future mother in law. I was able to buy it on August 16th 2016.

Had just into 83,000 miles on it and it had became my father inlaws baby about 1995 or so. It had been in some semblance of storage  for 8 years.  Being we live in Michigan we are fast approaching the day it is put to bed for the winter.

413417388.jpg

This bug has bitten my wife really bad and wants me to get her 1993 Dodge stealth back on the road by spring.

:D  Al

Hi, I posted a pix of my recent purchase but I don't know how to ad any conversation to that thread. I've been a Mopar person most of my life (69 years old) but I saw this car on the Milwaukee craigslist and after about a month of haggling I was finally able to purchase the car. I bought the car from the second owner. he bought the car 21 years ago and put roughly 3500 miles on it but did nothing to the car so now I'm stuck bringing the car up to date and making it reliable. The car is 100% rust free and although it has 123K milDSC09564.thumb.JPG.b9b98ad161d23c8e29786ba4bea0f506.JPGes it still  has its original paint, top, interior and of course engine and transmission.

DSC09546.JPG

DSC09547.JPG

DSC09547.JPG

DSC09536.JPG

Hi, I posted a pix of my recent purchase but I don't know how to ad any conversation to that thread. I've been a Mopar person most of my life (69 years old) but I saw this car on the Milwaukee craigslist and after about a month of haggling I was finally able to purchase the car. I bought the car from the second owner. he bought the car 21 years ago and put roughly 3500 miles on it but did nothing to the car so now I'm stuck bringing the car up to date and making it reliable. The car is 100% rust free and although it has 123K miles it still  has its original paint, top, interior and of course engine and transmission.

DSC09543.JPG

Edited by GunnyGS
duplicate pix (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest buick51special

Hello, I am new here. Just bought a 51 Buick Special and I am soon going to start on this project. Hoping that this site will help.

6.jpg

07.jpg

int.jpg

Edited by buick51special (see edit history)