Please introduce yourself...

Hello,  my name is Nick and I'm from New Jersey.   I'm very glad I found this forum, last summer I purchased a 31 Buick Series 50 barn find and it's been quite a journey finding some parts and info on this model and year. I even had a classic Buick parts dealer that is about 20 minutes from me laugh and tell me "Good Luck" in finding parts and info. So you can imagine my relief in finding this forum. Hopefully,  as I learn to navigate this forum, I will meet some great people and find some willing to help and point me in the right direction; or maybe even have a part or two that will help me put all the pieces together. Hope to talk you some of you all soon. 

20170221_201443.jpg

• Like 7

Hello all! Just recently purchased a Riviera to restore at my bodyshop for myself. Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself as I am sure I will be picking a lot of brains here on this matter ha ha!

Thanks,

Shane k.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, shaneK said:

Hello all! Just recently purchased a Riviera to restore at my bodyshop for myself. Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself as I am sure I will be picking a lot of brains here on this matter ha ha!

Thanks,

Shane k.

It's good for all parties to know in which neck of the woods you hang out.  Easier to suggest where to find parts and services. Just curious, what year.

Make sure you scroll down and introduce yourself on the Riviera Owners Forum.  

On 4/26/2018 at 8:41 AM, Nicholas3 said:

Hello,  my name is Nick and I'm from New Jersey.   I'm very glad I found this forum, last summer I purchased a 31 Buick Series 50 barn find and it's been quite a journey finding some parts and info on this model and year. I even had a classic Buick parts dealer that is about 20 minutes from me laugh and tell me "Good Luck" in finding parts and info. So you can imagine my relief in finding this forum. Hopefully,  as I learn to navigate this forum, I will meet some great people and find some willing to help and point me in the right direction; or maybe even have a part or two that will help me put all the pieces together. Hope to talk you some of you all soon. 

20170221_201443.jpg

Welcome aboard Nicholas!! Looks like you're in for a fun project. Be sure to check in with the PerWar crowd here, there's lots of great knowledgeable guys there that are always more than happy to help with technical stuff as well  as friendly comradeship.

http://forums.aaca.org/forum/60-buick-pre-war/

41 minutes ago, Scottbellphx said:

Hi I’m Scott.  I’ve always liked old Buick’s and last year I bought a 1954 Century Riviera hard top.  It’s a project but it will get there!  I live in Phoenix AZ

Oh boy, about time we get another '54 enthusiast on here. Looks like a nice start for a project. maybe a custom or ?  Pleas be sure to check in with the Post War crowd here for any technical advice and just general camaraderie .

http://forums.aaca.org/forum/57-buick-post-war/

Hello all,

I'm Jack from Portland Oregon. Been working on my 1956 Buick Special hardtop for about 5 years now. I just found some answers to windshield clips here so I thought I better sign up! When I was about 14 years old the first car I ever drove was a 1956 Buick Special 4 door, I always loved and owned a few tri-five Chevys but about 5 years ago when I went looking for one even a basic starter car was out of my price range. So I thought about the 56 Buick, it was actually quite similar and held a special place in my heart, and of course was much cheaper to start up. You can see the extensive details of my journey at my website but a short history: Rusted out 4 door 1956 Special $500. 1985 El Camino (It had been modified already with a different drive train including changing to a manual trans.) $2200. Cut 5 inches from the length of the Buick body at the back door to fit the 1985 Chevrolet G-Body frame creating a 2 door car. Although I loved the 56 Buick dash it was really wasted, and I love the 55 Buick gauges which made a perfect switch for the Auto Meter gauges I used. Been a long 5 year journey for me but anxious get an old mans final hot rod on the road this summer. Apologies to the purist :~)

buick2a.jpg

buick317a.jpg

56buicka.jpg

• Like 4

My name is Bob and I have to admit up front- I'm a diehard Mopar guy! I started out with a 1940 Dodge Business Coupe, then found and restored a 1940 Plymouth woodie (only took 12 years), and now I'm working on a 1951 Plymouth Suburban (all metal, 2 dr wagon). My adult son Jeff, who always wanted an old car to restore, found and bought a barely running 1953 Buick Special 41D. We just spent the last month getting it ready for the local BOP car show in Clovis, CA (brakes, new generator, taillights, hoses, belt, plug wires, etc) and it now runs great! It is indeed a time capsule, with all original trim, knobs, no rust and straight frame...it will be a great restoration candidate...Needless to say it was the only '53 Buick at the show. Lots of Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles. I have to say- Buicks are awesome cars! Jeff and I have located a number of great resources, but want a little guidance as to what to look for during a resto- pitfalls, impossible to find whatzits, etc. I know with the Plymouths, a lot of parts are not reposed, so a parts car is usually needed. Looking forward to chatting with you all on all things Buick!

Version 2 (2).jpg

IMG_5594.jpg

Version 2 (1).jpg

IMG_5596.jpg

Version 2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 2

I've been here off and on for a while. Only Buick I personally have is a 1948 Super Woodie. All the wood is disassembled and much of it needs replaced but it's all good for patterns. Years ago I owned a '34 90 Series Club Sedan in excellent original condition which I foolishly sold because I was offered more than 4 times what I paid for it. I paid $1400 and sold it for $6000. I wish I still had it.

Welcome, Bob.

Nice first Buick. It is the LAST  Buick straight eight. Specific questions about needs are easier, for me at least, to answer. 

We would like to see you and or Jeff here regularly.  Perhaps start a thread in the "Me and my Buick" thread just a little farther down the page.

Ben

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Welcome, Bob.

Nice first Buick. It is the LAST  Buick straight eight. Specific questions about needs are easier, for me at least, to answer. 

We would like to see you and or Jeff here regularly.  Perhaps start a thread in the "Me and my Buick" thread just a little farther down the page.

Ben

Thanks Ben. That's a great idea. I will propose it to Jeff. To me, the cool thing about the '53 model year - it's the last connection to the styling of the post-war fat-fendered cars and the legendary straight 8, not to mention 6 volt electrics.

Growing up, we had a '55 Buick Roadmaster, and you saw the tri-five era Buicks all the time, but not as many earlier Buicks.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dan Hay said:

Hello from Fort Worth Texas, here is my 56 Super Rivera, Original paint.  Looking to get my dynaflow rebuilt.

buick front.jpg

Buick rear.jpg

Greetings Dan,  Great car.  Whats up with your Dynaflow that you want to get it rebuilt?

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

14 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Greetings Dan,  Great car.  Whats up with your Dynaflow that you want to get it rebuilt?

It only moves in Low and Reverse.  No High.  It's been that way since I got it. I've only driven it 5 miles (in low) in the year I've had it.  Either the seller was dishonest or the shipper ruined the transmission loading and unloading it.

1 hour ago, Dan Hay said:

It only moves in Low and Reverse.  No High.  It's been that way since I got it. I've only driven it 5 miles (in low) in the year I've had it.  Either the seller was dishonest or the shipper ruined the transmission loading and unloading it.

Check all motor mounts and thrust pad are not deteriorated or broken.   Sometimes these will cause issue with  Dynaflow operation.     

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Today we switched to the '39 Special 41C convertible sedan and drove it to church again.  Used one of the '39 Specials for church each of the last three Sundays.  It was really hot today too.  It did pretty good.  Pushed a little gas out of the carb after we got to church and she sat awhile, but she was fine when we got home.  The float must have stuck a little I'm guessing.  Mighty hot in south central Florida these days.

39 Buick Special 41C one of 714.JPG

• Like 3

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and looking forward to all the expert help I can get. My brother and I are restoring a 1955 Buick Roadmaster. We are located in Dallas Texas. We are at the stage of needing to locate an experienced machine shop in the area that can work on nailheads. I have decent mechanical skills and I'm willing to learn, but I am out of my depth on the scope of some levels of what will be required. The engine was running when we got the car, but the car was not road worthy. After pulling and inspecting the engine, I found a cracked piston. Bottom line, we know we will be replacing at least one piston but it seems we should do them all then vs. just the one. I also found something odd. One intake valve was concave whereas all the other valves were flat. It was concave like all the exhaust valves. We are highly confident the engine was never pulled rebuilt (plus there was literally 1" of sludge in the bottom of the oil pan which took years to collect). I've been researching 322's for months - ran across Old-Tanks site and the Centerville site so I understand some of the do's and don'ts. Thus, I need a experienced machine shop reference, near this area, to begin the engine work. Thanks.      

28 minutes ago, buickbrothers said:

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and looking forward to all the expert help I can get. My brother and I are restoring a 1955 Buick Roadmaster. We are located in Dallas Texas. We are at the stage of needing to locate an experienced machine shop in the area that can work on nailheads. I have decent mechanical skills and I'm willing to learn, but I am out of my depth on the scope of some levels of what will be required. The engine was running when we got the car, but the car was not road worthy. After pulling and inspecting the engine, I found a cracked piston. Bottom line, we know we will be replacing at least one piston but it seems we should do them all then vs. just the one. I also found something odd. One intake valve was concave whereas all the other valves were flat. It was concave like all the exhaust valves. We are highly confident the engine was never pulled rebuilt (plus there was literally 1" of sludge in the bottom of the oil pan which took years to collect). I've been researching 322's for months - ran across Old-Tanks site and the Centerville site so I understand some of the do's and don'ts. Thus, I need a experienced machine shop reference, near this area, to begin the engine work. Thanks.      

Pictures, we love pictures

5 hours ago, buickbrothers said:

United Motors in Bonham. 

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, dennis78 said:

Hello! I am the new owner of a 1950 Buick Super 

Welcome aboard Dennis, hope you'll make this a regular pit stop, lots of great technical advice and camaraderie here. Also if you haven't already, consider joining the Buick Club of America   Join the Buick Club   and tell us more about that 50 Super down in the   Me and My Buick   forum

Welcome aboard Stig, hope you'll make this a regular pit stop, lots of great technical advice and camaraderie here. Also if you haven't already, consider joining the Buick Club of America   Join the Buick Club   . Also please tell us more about that 41 Roadmaster down in the   Me and My Buick   forum, those are some pretty rare cars!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there.  Caleb from Baltimore.  Looks like I'm on my way to buy a 64 Riveria 425.  So I guess I'm not technically a Buick owner yet, but I will be soon!  Looking forward to digging into this forum and exchanging resources.  Haven't fully gone over the 64 yet but might need some new quarters.  This will be my first resto.

• Like 1

Welcome Caleb. Scroll down the main Buick menu and you'll find a forum dedicated to the Riviera.  Lots of great technical advice, especially for the 63 - 65 and 66 - 70 Riviera owners.

Be sure to check out the Riviera  Owners Assn.   There's a l8nk to their website in my signature block.

Ed

Introducing myself before I start asking questions. I inherited my grandmothers 1966 Buick Wildcat Custom. Has a 401 Nailhead, 400 auto, and very original. Been sitting in a barn for over 30 years, so I have some work ahead of me. 

Thanks,

Bryan 

Buick.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am certain I fall under the 20 point rule,  so here goes nothing.   I am a 46 year old who is smitten with anything Buick it would seem.   Dad always had a LeSabre and I have always been drawn to the Buicks of pretty much every age.  Currently I have a mostly restored 57 Estate Wagon that is sporting pink paint and it's .30 over 364 with fuel injection.   (FiTech)  Just a great car.  This weekend I am bringing home a 1947 Model 56-C Super convertible.  A bucket list car for me.  Super excited to bring it back to life and make it my own.   

20180506_100519.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Scott Farrington said:

Well, I am certain I fall under the 20 point rule,  so here goes nothing.   I am a 46 year old who is smitten with anything Buick it would seem.   Dad always had a LeSabre and I have always been drawn to the Buicks of pretty much every age.  Currently I have a mostly restored 57 Estate Wagon that is sporting pink paint and it's .30 over 364 with fuel injection.   (FiTech)  Just a great car.  This weekend I am bringing home a 1947 Model 56-C Super convertible.  A bucket list car for me.  Super excited to bring it back to life and make it my own.   

20180506_100519.jpg

Waiting to see pics of the 47 , on my bucket list to.