How do Backup Lights work on a 1931 Reo Royale

Mark Gregory

I am restoring a 1931 Reo Royale Victoria that was completely taken apart in boxes when I bought it .  It came with hydraulic brakes from the factory . So I can understand how the brake lights work off the master cylinder switch . But what activates the backup lights ? It shows Backup Lights on my wiring diagram . Thanks for any responses .

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

If you have the wiring diagram what is the problem? How does it show them being activated?

If I had to guess, not owning a 1931 Reo Royale and not having a wiring diagram, I would guess there is a switch on the dash. But if it was like more modern cars there would be an automatic switch on the transmission .

1 minute ago, DonMicheletti said:

More than likely, there is a switch on the transmission

Yes.  On Pierces, it's mounted to a bracket in turn mounted to the top cover, and actuated by a rod which emerges from the top cover when the transmission is placed in reverse.

Love the artwork of this vintage wiring diagram, a sockets for two lighters, round switches for the round knobs on the dash, slot for the key to work the ignition switch, toggle for the independent backup light and I'm loving the corner lamps. Didn't know that they were factory available on anything way back when.

3 hours ago, Tinindian said:

I suspect the corner lamps are inside rear quarter lamps.

I kind of suspected that with the two plunger and three individual lamp switches that the corner lamps would be inside the rear seat pillar area and not an overhead dome.

Wiring diagrams rarely show where or how anything (lamps, switches, anything!) is actually mounted.

Not many cars that early even had backup lights. The '25 series 80 Pierce Arrow I used to have did have a backup light. As Grimy said, the switch was mounted onto the transmission so that the shifter (fork) rod when shifted into reverse gear would press the switch and turn the light on. I know that the '29 Reo I had years ago did not have any sort of backup lamp. But the Royale was a finer model.

Basket cases are a particularly fun sort of puzzle to restore. Sometimes a bit of creativity is required. If you can find a Reo Royal to look at or get special close-up photos from? That would help a lot. If you can find a bracket that would fit in the proper location? Even better. If not? That little bit of creativity might be in order.

I finally found a Royale with a factory backup switch ?  It seems all the other Royale owners have disconnected or discarded the backup lights in favour of two stop lights instead of one ? John thanks for posting all the pictures and the schematic  . Thank you everyone for your help and input . 

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I was just about to offer to walk out and look at my 1931 Royale to see how it was wired. but it seems you have the information. Please send me a PM if you have any questions what so ever. a whil back i took some pictures for Victor in Mexico. I will copy and past the google drive link for you. It may help with assembly.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6do-6Z5Kg-FaS1CbUZLNkNmYlE?usp=sharing

I have a 1933 Franklin Olympic, which is essentially a repowered 1932 Reo Flying Coud. While there are three lenses on the tail lamp, one being clear, there are only two bulbs. One bulb for tail, one for stop. There are no actual reverse lamps. The way it was explained to me, was that while backing up in the dark, you could step on the brake to light up the area behind you. It's a lame explanantion, but it's all I have.

I have a 1933 Franklin Olympic, which is essentially a repowered 1932 Reo Flying Coud. While there are three lenses on the tail lamp, one being clear, there are only two bulbs. One bulb for tail, one for stop. There are no actual reverse lamps. The way it was explained to me, was that while backing up in the dark, you could step on the brake to light up the area behind you. It's a lame explanantion, but it's all I have.