Forum Guys at Annual Meeting

kings32

Discussion Forum members are unofficially known as DF'ers. The terms was much more recognized a decade or so ago.

Years ago, DF'ers could order an ID button from forum member David Devine. The buttons help us identify folks at events such as the annual meeting so we can introduce ourselves to other DF'ers who we would not otherwise recognize in person. I need to find mine, or a photo that I posted of it last year. I iwll find mine and be sure to wear it at Philly so hopefully DF'ers that I have not met will stop me and introduce themselves in Philly.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK Guys and Gals,

I just arrived at the Sheraton. I guess we set a time for a DF'er meeting on Friday at lunch time. I don't see where anybody set a place. I seem to recall that we met last year at some tables somewhere sort of near the escalators. I don't recall exactly which level it was but think I can find the same location. Unless someone else suggests a particular place, I am guessing the same location as last year tomorrow during the lunch break. Any other suggestions for the meeting location? 

• Like 1

I see the Mezanine. Then the next level up (where the trade show is) is labeled B on the elevator. Which one to meet?

9 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

I see the Mezanine. Then the next level up (where the trade show is) is labeled B on the elevator. Which one to meet?

Sorry, I just got back to the computer. Next year we need to do a better job of defining the location before the meeting starts. Frank, obviously you found us.  It was nice meeting and speaking with you and CharlieR as well as a few others that I already knew. 

On 2/9/2018 at 4:47 PM, MCHinson said:

Sorry, I just got back to the computer. Next year we need to do a better job of defining the location before the meeting starts. Frank, obviously you found us.  It was nice meeting and speaking with you and CharlieR as well as a few others that I already knew. 

It was nice to meet you and Frank and see the other forum members I knew. Thanks for wearing the DF'er button. When I saw Marty I thought I may have found the right table and seeing your DF'er button and name tag let me know for sure I had found the correct table at lunch.

I also found Wayne and sat with him at the Judging School on Saturday. Nice to see you again Wayne!

Charlie

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:09 AM, R W Burgess said:

We are the ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE CLUB, so why not an antique computer? ?

Yeah but Wayne, your antique computer involves strings with beads on it, so that won't work....

........Sorry Wayne, anyone who gets on the elevator and leans on the buttons so an elevator full of people has to stop at each and every floor because you leaned on the buttons deserves to get busted on.  When my father and I got off the elevator on the 12th floor we were laughing all the way back to our room.

That was funny!!

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ex98thdrill said:

That was funny!!

Yeah, you funny too, Pat!:P

No, I had forgotten all about that. The thing was that the elevator was full of people, mostly unknown to you and me. I guess they were glad when we got off. It's a little scary to be around us sometimes!!!

• Like 1

Hey with you being a normal person now, you're fair game.  When we arrived in Philly we were dealing with the Eagles fans trying to test the durability of the lightpoles, lightbulbs, etc.  Then the AACA crowd comes in where we're all laid back and bellow, and then you had the freaks from the tattoo convention come in as we were leaving.

........Personally I think the hotel likes our group.  We have a good time but we don't destroy the place.

• Haha 1

Hey without you being on the National Board anymore, you're not one of them, you're a normal person now.  No more long meetings, teleconferences, committee meetings, phone calls, e-mails, complaints, etc.

Seven years ago you ran for it, while I ran FROM it.  I'm thankful you did what you did, but when I chaired the meet back in 2010 I saw enough of what the National Directors have to put up with to know I don't want any part of it.  I once told Don Barlup that not only am I not going to close that door, I'm slamming that door shut, locking it, nailing it shut and putting a Buick behind it. Not no but sHELL no.  It isn't out of hatred, but more because I know I couldn't afford to do it even if I wanted too...

Thanks for what you've done, and I'm glad you did it instead of me.

Thanks Pat, but you ran the other too way fast. Let me explain, you do not have to go to every meet and tour.

1. You are required to attend 4 Board Meetings a year, but two are combined in Philly. Since most Board nominations are to people that we realize are already active in the hobby, so they end up not changing their lives much. By the way, I enjoyed the meeting this year in Philly very much.

2. Teleconferences happen only occasionally when an important issue needs to be addressed. We had a few concerning the Library-Museum issue.

3. Speaking of the new Library, I am very proud of the way our Board handled that issue. The tough part began on this very forum trying to correct every member about the mis-information that the Museum was putting out at the time. A big thanks to Matt Hinson for helping on this forum with that, and also a REALLY Big thanks to Tom Cox. He was the only one of us that could explain thoroughly what it was all about in front of 3-400 confused members in Philly's General Meeting last year. If I remember correctly, even a Museum Member in the room walked away satisfied and apologized to Tom that afternoon.

4, Committee meetings are no big deal. It's fun sharing new ideas. I even brought up the Class 37 debacle of years ago in a Friday morning committee meeting  to help a new Board Member understand what has happened in the past.

5. E-mails? Our President and Judging VP's get the most e-mails. I never had too many. Of course when we are preparing for a Board Meeting, we get all of the reports ahead of time, but I have a special folder for them and review them when I am  more prepared and rested. All Board members have an opportunity to question a report before our meeting so we can save time and better understand what was prepared. 

6. I have a few phone calls, not many though. I have never had a serious complaint. If you talk and treat people respectfully, they treat you the same way. I have never had an AACA member mad at me, that I am aware of.

That's it I guess. I will say that we would not ever nominate a person for the Board that would not enjoy it. I think the Nominating Committees have done well in the past. I thoroughly enjoyed my term as a Board Member, met a lot of AACA members all over the country, and made many lasting friendships that I value tremendously. Thank you to everyone!!

Wayne

3 hours ago, trimacar said:

Is the new Board listed somewhere?  Just curious....

I can help with that...

From the annual meeting report the new additions are:

2018-2020

Mary Bartemeyer

Megan Boyd

Jack M. Harris

John McCarthy

Bob Parrish

Marty Roth

Fred Trusty

Also, Mark McAlpine was also added to the board, I am assuming he was appointed to replace Wayne upon his resignation from the board.

Wayne  I for one am glad that I meet you . As a tour person and AACA board member.  Chris and I have enjoyed  our time with you and Gloria  and hope there many more years of touring and friendship  Kings32

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

We will be there next year to help man the booth for the 2019 Vintage Tour. But I hope next years winter is a vast improvement over this year for all the snow we have been getting. Hate driving in freezing rain and snow.

You could always consider wintering in New Orleans!

... and Dale and I will certainly attend the August 4-9, 2019 AACA Vintage Tour in Kingston, Ontario - and if you sweet-talk her, she might even help at the booth like she did for this years upcoming November 4-9, 2018 AACA  Sentimental Tour. Hosted by Louisiana Region, this is a modified progressive tour starting and ending in Natchez, Mississippi, but spending two nights in Vicksburg, and also traveling into Louisiana.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

You could always consider wintering in New Orleans!

... and Dale and I will certainly attend the August 4-9, 2019 AACA Vintage Tour in Kingston, Ontario - and if you sweet-talk her, she might even help at the booth like she did for this years upcoming November 4-9, 2018 AACA  Sentimental Tour. Hosted by Louisiana Region, this is a modified progressive tour starting and ending in Natchez, Mississippi, but spending two nights in Vicksburg, and also traveling into Louisiana.

If I went south for the winter I would miss all this fine weather like the tree different storm warnings within last week alone. As for the help at the booth Dale would be a major asset with the experience of so many tours behind her.

Sentimental Tour is already marked on our calendar as a must do so we will see you there.

3 hours ago, Dave Henderson said:

How about a DF'er gathering at Fall Hershey?  Has there been one there before?  I'd say lets do it this year at some central spot.  interest?

Hi, Dave.

Yes we did have a DF meeting at the Fall Meet.  Has been many years now.  Our old friend Ron Flory (deceased on 3/30/07) and I used to arrange it however it slowly went into the history books when people would commit to attending only not to show up.  Too many other things to do at Hershey I suppose.  Would meet in Class 5A (motor scooters, etc.)

Regards,

Peter J.

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:21 PM, R W Burgess said:

Thanks Pat, but you ran the other too way fast. Let me explain, you do not have to go to every meet and tour.

No I didn't.  I work shift work and I work in the neighborhood of 600-800 hours of overtime every year and I only get weekends off once every six weeks.  My schedule wouldn't allow me to do things right.

There were some things that really turned me off...

1.  I had a board member (now deceased) majorly in my face who wouldn't take no for an answer that ROYALLY p***ed me off.  This individual even went as far as going to individual members of the region (that I quit) to also put pressure on me into caving in to his demands.  At the time had I been offered the chance to fill the rest of a term of someone that had resigned I would've considered it, but this individual totally blew it.

2.  You guys get stretched so thin that you don't get enough time to enjoy your cars.

That's over and above the fact that I'm not a suit and tie guy and I hate paying $50 for a rubber chicken dinner.  Had we not won a national award, I wouldn't have shelled out $60 for dinner on Saturday night.  I can count on one hand how many times over the last 17 years that I've ever paid to go to an awards banquet.  Two of them were at the start and end of AACA's 75th anniversary, one of them was when I was a meet chairman and HAD to be there, and the fourth one was Saturday night.  

Most of the time I never went to the banquets even though I was a region president and it was in the budget for the region to pay for it. 

Trust me, I would've loved to have worked with you and it was nothing personal against you or several others, but when I chaired the meet and watched what you guys had to do, I appreciated it, I respected it, but I also saw enough to know that I didn't want any part of it.  Then when someone got in my face about it, the wedge got driven way down out of sight.

With me being in that bad accident, it all turned out just as well because for the last year I've had all I could do to put my life back together.