September 2017 Bugle

BUICK RACER

Make that five. Suspect many just not commenting.

Edit:  I will comment further.   I agree with Mark Shaw. May be the case now.  Also, if this is for all travel expense, sounds like not much.  Probably depends on the individual financial status of a board member.  Probably needs to be available so the less "well off" can afford to run for the board, otherwise only the "well off" would run. My .02 worth.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I read the Bugle cover to cover. Costs go up, so the first item seemed reasonable to me. I'm not sure I've ever felt about the CFO position. Of course, I don't know that I have all the pertinent details. I do know I wouldn't be particularly interested in the treasurer job for an organization like the BCA with the size of budget involved (not scared of the numbers, just that budgets and the associated elements aren't really my thing). 

Question though. What date begins a 30 day comment period when published in the club magazine which has variable delivery dates for members? Of course, as this site isn't strictly for members, we want to be conscious of responses related to internal club business. 

Perhaps a rhetorical question. 

Edited by Thriller
Added question. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Why does the Treasurer have to be called a 

"Chief Financial Officer"?  A title that is simple

should suffice.  Companies never used to have

such flattering titles as CEO, COO, CFO, and the

first recorded use of the term "CEO" was in 1975.

It's sort of a "title inflation!"

I recommend:  Let the Treasurer be a Treasurer.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Why does the Treasurer have to be called a 

"Chief Financial Officer"?  A title that is simple

should suffice.  Companies never used to have

such flattering titles as CEO, COO, CFO, and the

first recorded use of the term "CEO" was in 1975.

It's sort of a "title inflation!"

I recommend:  Let the Treasurer be a Treasurer.

Cause the BOD is not electing a Treasurer per the original by-laws from the 9 member BOD...they are choosing to "hire" a volunteer CFO in lieu of following the original by-laws since modified to allow it.   9 members on the BOD and no one is raising a hand to be treasurer...

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Roberta......I think a lot of people read the change but don't know if we should protest.

Back in 2003, such a long time ago, when you were on the board and I was first elected, the going rate was $300.

At that time I feel sure that a couple of Board members did not take anything.

Even then we were loosing members after the 2003 GM anniversary and income was going down, there was concern about the BCA finances

and dues were raised to keep the BCA in the black.

I left the Board in 2010 and the reimbursement had grown to $400, so in 7 years it went up $100

and now in another 7 it has gone (is going) up another $300, lets hope the BCA board is not like congress and continues to raise their salaries.

I had hoped that some of the present Board members would not submit travel expenses....I always figured that I was

going to the National meet anyway so why should the BCA pay my way.  

Another ....more personal way of looking at this issue,  each Board member that claims the full $700 requires the dues from 14 BCA members to pay their way.

And that would be 126 BCA members dues required to pay for the entire Board.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I did see the notice in the Bugle but hadn't given it too much thought until now. If the dues goes up in a couple years I'll have a problem with it but for now I'm OK if the additional cost can be absorbed without contributing to the need for a dues increase. I do think it is important for BOD members to attend national meets in order to interact face to face with each other and with as much of the attending membership as possible. Its the best opportunity to check the pulse of membership. There is no substitute for face to face interaction vs email and social media communication......as much as some millenials would disagree.:P

Will the travel reimbursement make BOD members attend when otherwise they would stay home? Probably yes in some cases, and others they would attend with or without it. Not sure if there is any other monetary benefit to being on the BCA BOD but if not, this opportunity is one way to provide recognition for volunteering their time while having them attend and gain better insight to operations in order to help make better decisions. 

Being on any volunteer BOD is not always peaches and cream.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2017 at 7:02 AM, Barney Eaton said:

Another ....more personal way of looking at this issue,  each Board member that claims the full $700 requires the dues from 14 BCA members to pay their way.

Of course, the obvious solution is to have fewer members on the Board. ;)

In general, though, there's a rule of thumb about serving in volunteer organizations: Get, give, or get out.  That is, raise money from others, give your own money, or move aside for someone who will.

I don't have a Bugle easily at hand. Is it nine BOD members? So an increase of, at most, $1800, assuming my memory is correct. If the board is distributed around, it's possible some will have little expenses to claim (I.e. Don't claim maximum). Some may not claim at all if they were planning to be at the meet regardless. Nickel and diming will have an impact, but we've got bigger things to deal with in a club of 7,000 if we are going to get up in arms over a couple grand. 

• Like 4

On October 18, 2017 at 5:34 PM, BUICK RACER said:

Did anyone read page 9 to see that there was a proposed change to the BCA Bylaws?img072.jpg

I read it, I thought about it, l had no problem with it, I forgot about it. A bit confused as to why this is just now being brought up, I assume the 30 day comment period is well over anyway.?

13 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

John_S_in_Penna, I will answer your question for you even though you should already know the answer  -  because it is an ego trip for those involved.

Terry Wiegand

Out in Doo Dah

IMO if a member is a professional accountant and volunteers to take on the oft unappreciated hard work and responsibility of handling the huge pot of money currently held by the BCA and does it PRO BONO, he can call himself Chief Financial Officer, Superman, Tarzan or whatever else floats their boat.

On October 23, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Barney Eaton said:

Or an even more "personal way of looking at this issue" would be that if there are 7000 members contributing a share of what it might take to help ensure all nine board members can attend the National at a total cost of $6,300, that equates to $0.90 each from each member, what's the big deal. If a board member IS DOING THEIR JOB, hell I may be willing to even cough up a whole $1.00. The DOING THEIR JOB part is a whole  nother issue though. 

13 hours ago, Thriller said:

Nickel and diming will have an impact, but we've got bigger things to deal with in a club of 7,000 if we are going to get up in arms over a couple grand. 

HEAR, HEAR

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have read this, and have consider and had no comments now or than.  More important to be considered, is a proper accounting and financial statement reporting, at least on a quarterly basis.  This can be separately or printed in the Bugle.

John

• Like 1