Does anyone here own a celebrity vehicle?

MarrsCars

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:57 AM, MarrsCars said:

Who is Heather Brewer?  

Never heard of her either so looked her up, here's her wikipedia entry: Zac Brewer, formerly Heather Brewer, is an American writer of young adult fiction, living in Missouri with his husband and two children. His debut series, The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, was published by Dutton Juvenile

My Benz coupe was owned by a photographer of modest repute, tho I don't consider it a celebrity car by any means, and it likewise came with several window decals and parking passes, but in the end I decided to remove them as I wanted it to reflect it's new life in Oregon. It came with original California black plates, so had I been living in CA I would probably have kept the other decals together with the plates. Yours is very cool, so he was sort of a Ken Kesey type? Neat!

Here is the 1937 Ford owned by American historian and author Anthony J. Mireles.  Mr. Mireles' work has been well-received  here and overseas.  

11717302_682818551853985_7096026234820741079_o.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/29/2017 at 8:38 AM, Skyking said:

He didn't own it,  but my son recently painted Mr.  Drysdale's  Chrysler Imperial from the Beverly hillbillies.   The most rust free car he's ever done.

Do you mean it was owned by Raymond Bailey or it was one of the cars used on the show?

Guest Skyking
7 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Do you mean it was owned by Raymond Bailey or it was one of the cars used on the show?

Mr.  Drysdale= character actor.  The one in the series.  I'll probably see it finished at a cruise at Dick Shappy's Cadillac Lounge tomorrow night.

Seeing I had my 15 minute of fame on the Vintage Tour being interviewed about my car for TV. Anyone want to buy a 1915 T touring for 100,000 grand with a letter of authenticity that I once owned it??????? 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A "celebrity" can be a local, national, or international, but regardless how far the individual's fame went, the vehicle he or she owned is still simply a car or a truck. 

Unless the car itself is rare, as was common with film stars in the 1930's with 'one-off' Duesenbergs etc., or a postwar 'special ordered' example as in Post #4, I really don't  see how, or why an ordinary off-the-shelf car should be worth more than a similar unit without a history of celebrity ownership.

Craig

Just as an aside, the book "Fit for the Chase" by Raymond Lee has lotsa pictures of famous cars. Now the 53 Stude shown with Lauren Bacall (looks kinda Spohnish) would be an interesting find.

BTW does being on a national TV show make one a "celebrity" ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Not owned by me but a local museum here in NZ has two Cadillacs with famous previous owners; Marlene Dietrich's V16 and Mickey Cohen's armoured 1950 sedan.

I love seeing up-armored private cars, for a few years I brokered them so I have a great appreciation for the custom work involved, and even more so using the materials and methods of the "old days." Do you have any more shots of that one, especially showing glass thickness, gun ports, etc.?

Image result for Mickey Cohen's armoured 1950 sedan

Cohen, a Sunset Strip Mob kingpin, had been the target of several gunfire bursts during the LA-area gang turmoil of the late 1940s and 50s, so he built himself a one-of-a-kind moving fortress. Said the slick Bugsy Siegel sidekick, “I don’t care about myself, but what am I gonna do, for instance, when my mother comes to visit? I got to drive her around. I get worried about this. You never can tell what some of these crazy guys might try to do. And my wife! I gotta have some protection for the family, don’t I?” (He was concerned not only about his wife, but also his many mistresses with names like “Candy Bar” and “Beverly Hills”.)

Cohen caused quite the sensation with his sleek black Caddy when he was asked to appear before Senator Kefauver’s Crime Committee (officially known as the U.S. Senate Special Committee to Investigate Organized Crime in Interstate Commerce). He drove up in the $16,000 armor-plated driving machine, practically beaming when asked to describe his ride (which took five months to build). The extras, he proudly pointed out, cost him a cool 10 grand which allowed him to trick out the car with:

1 ¾-inch plate glass windows
Bullet-proof tires costing $400 each
8-inch-thick door plating weighing in at 100 pounds each
Special armor plates built into both front and rear seats
An air conditioning system costing a whopping (at the time) $800
Car enthusiasts loved the additional details: Much of the cost of retrofitting the car went into the windshield set into a base of heavy die cast bronze and made of two thick pieces that opened outward so Cohen could catch a breeze or, as many jested, fire his gun out. Another feature unique to his Cadillac: additional wide trim chrome entirely encircling all the windows of the car. Even the Secret Service agents were impressed, not even the President’s car had all these fine features.

http://themobmuseum.org/blog/mickey-cohens-tricked-out-mob-mobile/

• Thanks 1

Guest Skyking
16 hours ago, mike6024 said:

If it was "Mr.  Drysdale's  Chrysler Imperial from the Beverly Hillbillies" to me that implies it was used in filming the TV shows. It belonged to the fictional Mr. Drysdale.

Bingo!

18 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

Seeing I had my 15 minute of fame on the Vintage Tour being interviewed about my car for TV. Anyone want to buy a 1915 T touring for 100,000 grand with a letter of authenticity that I once owned it??????? 

Joe,

Would that be $100,000 USD or Canadian?

Either way, I cannot afFORD it, and won't swap the Packard.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

We restored a '64 Alvis that was purchased new by actor Tony Curtis.

Did the original title have his stage nam "Tony Curtis", or his real name Bernard Schwartz?

9 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

We restored a '64 Alvis that was purchased new by actor Tony Curtis.

Was that a TE21? What was the color? One of the few I like in gold or bronze, tho blue is the best in my opinion. I enjoy the TD, TE, and TF cars all pretty much equally stylistically speaking, even the Graber-bodied cars, tho I have never driven any. The stacked headlamps on TE/TF cars remind me of one of my favorite autos, the Facel Vega HK500, which is the car that inspired the purchase of my stacked headlamp MB.

In 2004 I bought astronaut Jan Davis's 1996 BMW Z3. Being from the town that helped put man on the moon I liked the connection but like the car more and I was turning 39. It was special ordered with a black interior and the Atlanta Blue paint _ usually the Atlanta Blue cars had a tan interior. I bought from the 3rd owner with only 20k miles on the odometer. I didn't tell him I was going to make it daily driver. Still have it. Up to 93k miles and running strong. Wish it had more power but I would just get in more trouble.

• Like 1

Guest Skyking
17 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

George Costanza owned "jon Voights" car....................

or so the premise of the show.

Jon spelled with an "h":rolleyes:.......

Guest Skyking

Went to Shappy's cruise last night but the Imperial didn't show up,  The owner Albert was too tired to come out after work..........

But I did get a chance to ride in  Dick's 1918 Pierce Arrow.

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

I'm seeing two different elements here:

1.  A car being OWNED by someone famous, as per the title of this thread, or,

2. Cars seen regularly on TV shows or playing a prominent role in a movie.  

As for cars seen on TV shows, or in movies, very often they were never owned by any particular individual, and often leased from the car manufacturer.  Think of The FBI (Efram Zimbalist Jr.) famously using various Ford products.  And the old black & white Beverly Hillbillies clearly state 'Cars supplied by Chrysler Corporation' in the credits at the end to the show.

Craig

Guest Skyking
17 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

I'm seeing two different elements here:

1.  A car being OWNED by someone famous, as per the title of this thread, or,

2. Cars seen regularly on TV shows or playing a prominent role in a movie.  

As for cars seen on TV shows, or in movies, very often they were never owned by any particular individual, and often leased from the car manufacturer.  Think of The FBI (Efram Zimbalist Jr.) famously using various Ford products.  And the old black & white Beverly Hillbillies clearly state 'Cars supplied by Chrysler Corporation' in the credits at the end to the show.

Craig

I find each day it's harder and harder to come on this site.  Now I really understand why I dropped out of the club!

Guest Skyking
3 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Please explain why you find this thread so distasteful.

I did in my last post!  

22 minutes ago, Skyking said:

I find each day it's harder and harder to come on this site.  Now I really understand why I dropped out of the club!

So you've seen the threads on electric cars in the FUTURE on an "antique car" site too. Glad I got to see the hobby in its Golden Years, sure miss the people and cars. Bob

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

I just sat down and saw Victoria Lynn's post so I clicked on it and read it. I was interested.

I have worked nights most of my life and been around town during the day. There is always a restaurant with a booth and four or five guys sitting around having coffee, probably been about 10 of those little clusters I have joined.

Somewhere around 25 years ago a widow in her mid 70's started sitting with us. Just general topics, construction, mechanics, some politics (mostly local), and a little cars. She told us "I really like listening to men talk. They are so interesting. Groups of women are so boring."

How that memory surfaced I just don't know.

Bernie

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I just sat down and saw Victoria Lynn's post so I clicked on it and read it. I was interested.

I have worked nights most of my life and been around town during the day. There is always a restaurant with a booth and four or five guys sitting around having coffee, probably been about 10 of those little clusters I have joined.

Somewhere around 25 years ago a widow in her mid 70's started sitting with us. Just general topics, construction, mechanics, some politics (mostly local), and a little cars. She told us "I really like listening to men talk. They are so interesting. Groups of women are so boring."

How that memory surfaced I just don't know.

Bernie

She's right. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Skyking said:

And the old black & white Beverly Hillbillies clearly state 'Cars supplied by Chrysler Corporation' in the credits at the end to the show.

Does that include the 1921 Oldsmobile you see in the opening of every show???

2016-10-11_04-36-12.jpg

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

7 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

So you've seen the threads on electric cars in the FUTURE on an "antique car" site too. Glad I got to see the hobby in its Golden Years, sure miss the people and cars. Bob

That was not the point of the thread as I've pointed out to you there, it was addressing the values of collector cars. I am not responsible for your lack of reading comprehension.

"How's your car running" 

"The Met's suck this year."

"Ummm, OK, but how is your car running?"

"Baseball used to be entertaining."

If the Golden Years of the hobby are truly behind us, some of you may need to look inward to see why. 

Edited by MarrsCars
clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 1