75 ANNIVERSARY - PEARL HARBOR DAY - DECEMBER 7TH, 1941

Marty Roth

Tomorrow, December 7th is the 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor Day.

Let us pause to pay homage to "The Greatest Generation", our fathers, grandfathers, and all men and women who were present there, those who served in the many battles throughout the Pacific Theater, and those on the homefront who enabled our service personnel to preserve our way of life, many of whom passed their love of old cars on to us.

My father, Albert Roth served with the 6th Special Battalion, Seabees, U.S. Navy from the inception of the Seabees for the duration of the War in the Pacific.

From the sunken hull of the Battleship Arizona, to the many beachheads across the Pacific, so many made the ultimate sacrifice. Others, thankfully like my Dad, his buddy Mack Widro, and so many more returned home.

Albert Roth, my father, served in the first wave of Seabees - 6th Special
Battalion, USN. Boot Camp and special training at Dam Neck/Oceana/Norfolk
in January-March, 1943, a troop train to San Diego, and then shipping out to
Auckland, New Zealand with an immediate turnaround to the islands of Vella
Lavella, Treasury, Fiji, Bougainville, and so many others.

The 6th Special Seabees Battalion was establishing Port and Airstrip Facilities
on islands that were still Japanese-Controlled. I've been told by Marines, that
despite inter-service competitive spirit, that the USMC really respected what the
Seabees did, and likely could not have taken the Solomon Islands without them.
Admiral Halsey is quoted as having said "when I see one of those
Seabee Bulldozers, I could kiss it".

Dad didn't talk about his service which lasted the duration of the war in the
Pacific. I did see some of the CENSORED letters he and mom exchanged with
segments cut out or blackened - "Loose Lips Sink Ships". There were no liberty
ports, and they had no real liberty until the returned to Treasure Island/San
Francisco, many months after V-J Day and the end of the war - amazing by
today's standards.

My parents had been married for a year and a half at the time he enlisted.

On the home front, my mother, Martha Roth spent my first 4 years in a New
York City factory, making and inspecting tents for our military, sewing "MR"
(as instructed by her supervisor) in the corner of those which passed her scrupulous inspection, and
hoping that dad might get to use one of them and recognize
her sewn-in initials,
knowing that she had given it special care. Years later, relating her story at a 6th
Special Battalion Reunion at the Biltmore in Asheville, NC, one of dad's officers told mom that
all
inspectors used the same "MR" code, that as well as her initials, the "MR" also
stood for "Mildew-Resistant". She and dad had a great laugh over that one.

We were the lucky ones. Dad survived to come home, and later instilled in me
his love of mechanical things - his ability to keep his old car running - his desire
to find out what makes it work and to try to make it better in some way - and his
love of country. Dad's parents were immigrants to this country, as were mom's -
all in the first decade of the 1900s. They, my grandparents, always made us
aware of just how exceptional this great country of ours really is, and how
important it is to defend her, and to respect and revere those who were lost in
her defense.

Let us all pause for a moment to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice,
and to thank those men and women who served.

I mentioned on another thread, that my father had worked at the Todd
Shipyards in Bayonne, New Jersey prior to the formation of the Seabees. This
was considered a "safe" job, exempt from military draft. Many people were
surprised when dad, married just over 1-1/2 years, and with a 3 month old son
(me) volunteered for this new outfit called "CB" or Construction Battalion,
identified as SeaBees. I've been told by several other Seabees that dad's unit, the
6th Special Battalion had especially nasty, dangerous assignments - I've listened
to many of the Vets who come through the World War II Museum (formerly the
D-Day Museum) here in New Orleans, and I encourage everyone to visit.
Many people today do not know that initially the Seabees were in harms way,
and still unarmed; that sometimes their only protection was the blade of a
Bulldozer.
Dad once in his later years said that the carnage of life he saw on Fiji, Bougainville,

and so many other islands and atolls across the Pacific,
were beyond belief, that growing up In Plattsburgh, NY and later living in New
York City and New Jersey, nothing he had ever experienced could prepare him
for the cruelty of the Japanese soldiers.
My point is that he could have stayed safe at the shipyard, but CHOSE to put
himself in the path of danger, as did you, your father and grandfather!
Thanks to you, and to all of our brave men and women who served, and
especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice. _________________________
MARTY ROTH
NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA

This is but one of many segments, provided to me by John Ratomsky, of the history of the 6th Special:

6thSpecialNCB.doc

ALBERT ROTH in NAVY WHITES.jpg

WEDDING PHOTO MARTHA L GOLDENBERG AND ALBERT ROTH.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Through the years, I've seen this car several times at had an opportunity to speak with Mr. Sterling about 20 years ago.  Cool car, cool history.

Buick that survived Pearl Harbor helps Michigan family remember owner

On his way to work this Wednesday, Dec. 7, John Michalek, 35, of Plymouth will walk past the classic Buick in his garage and think of 22-year-old 2nd Lt. Gordon H. Sterling Jr., who drove the 1941 Buick Special to work on a Sunday morning 75 years ago, only to die in a dogfight over the waters of Pearl Harbor.

Sterling, who at the time was a recent graduate of flight school in Montgomery, Ala., was one of just a handful of American pilots who got airborne to protect their comrades that day. He engaged the attackers, following a Japanese fighter into a cloud bank, unaware of another hostile plane on his tail.

Michalek's deep blue Buick has been owned by members of Sterling’s family since he bought it in May 1941. It was his first new car.

Michalek, an engineer with Detroit Diesel, married into Sterling’s family and has become the keeper of the car and a champion of Lt. Sterling’s memory.

As a child in West Hartford, Conn., Sterling had been a Boy Scout and a school athlete. He longed to become a pilot and enlisted in the Army after two years in college. Pearl Harbor was his first post after flight school. Because Sterling was an officer, the Army shipped his car to Hawaii.

Sterling's grand-niece, Amy Schroeder, 33, grew up in Canton, where her grandfather John Sterling had the Buick.

“He took the car to shows and parades, keeping his brother’s memory alive,” Michalek said. “I heard the story from him.”

Michalek liked cars, restoring and working on a couple of classics. As time went by, he went to car shows with Schroeder's grandfather, driving the Buick when the older man’s health flagged.

“He was prepping me to carry on,” Michalek said. He and Schroeder married, then bought the car after her grandfather died.

Most of the planes in Sterling’s unit, the 46th Pursuit Squadron, were destroyed on the ground Dec. 7, 1941. There were just four surviving P36s — an outdated plane that had been parked off to the side away from the best fighters — when Sterling arrived, still wearing his civilian clothes from the evening before. The first plane off the ground was flown by Sterling’s roommate 2nd Lt. Philip M. Rasmussen, who became famous as the “pajama pilot” because he raced from bed to the airfield when the attack began. Rasmussen and three other experienced pilots grabbed the P36s. Sterling had just passed his flight tests, but when one of the others left a plane to get a parachute, Sterling jumped into the cockpit.

He stripped off his wristwatch, handing it to the crew chief with the words, “Give this to my mother. I’m not coming back.”

Sterling joined the other three P36s in the second wave of the attack and died in combat. He was cited for “conspicuous gallantry in the defense of Hawaii” in a letter the chief of the Army Air Forces sent to Sterling’s parents Dec. 18, 1941.

Sterling received the Distinguished Flying Cross and Purple Heart. His remains were never recovered, but there are memorials to his service in Honolulu and at Arlington National Cemetery.

Despite the chaos following the attack, the Army handled Sterling’s effects diligently. His parents had his radio and music collection given to Lt. Rasmussen. The rest, including his watch and car, was sent home. The car was undamaged except for a bullet hole through the windshield. The family replaced the windshield, but kept the original in the trunk as part of Sterling’s story.

Michalek took the car to shows after Amy’s grandfather died, but he has spent most of his time recently with he and Schroeder's 3-year-old son.
“He’s starting to be interested in cars,” Michalek said. “Maybe next year we’ll take the Buick out together.”

636162086273156081-DSC-6483-edit.JPG

636162086297024540-DSC-6444-edit.JPG

636162086439923288-DSC-6500-edit.JPG

• Like 1

I always remember Leonard Noble Jackson on December 7th. Lenny was a local AACA Member who was a Submariner and Pearl Harbor Survivor. I played bagpipes at his funeral about 10 years ago. He was an interesting character who became a good friend after he moved to NC from NJ many years ago.

• Like 1

President Obama's press secretary hopes WW2 veterans will set aside their bitterness over Pearl Harbor

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to visit Hawaii on December 7, will not apologize for Pearl Harbor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4001384/Japan-s-Prime-Minister-announces-historic-visit-Pearl-Harbor-mark-75th-anniversary-attack-alongside-Obama.html

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

My father was also a WWII Sea Bee,a fact I believe I relayed to Marty previously. He was in the 30th battalion,the first two years in Trinidad protecting the Panama Canal. the last year was in Samar  { Philippines). I hoped to follow him into the Sea Bees during Vietnam but it didn't work out so I did my 4 years on the USS Arcturus AF 52 in the regular Navy. My dad died at a young age. I was 15. One of my biggest regrets was that I never got to hear any of his recollections of his service time and to be able to tell him mine.

• Like 2

On December 7th 1941 Dad was 16 years old and in the local jail on a charge of drunk and disorderly. He had run away from the orphanage where his Mother abandoned him,.The next week they came around and let those in on minor charges free if they agreed to "join up". Dad lied about his age and signed up. He always said that while he did feel it was his patriotic duty, the real reason he signed up was to get 3 meals a day. 

• Like 1

My Dad joined the Army Air Corps shortly after WWII started. He traveled to Britain by rail (leaning over the rail of the ship. They rode troop trucks to the air base from port. He said it was about a mile drive through the front fields of the base. The fields were full of troop transport gliders. The guys on the trucks looked at them and it was the quietest time he ever remembered in his life. Everyone knew stepping into a glider was stepping into death.

Looks like a kid.

My Great Grandfather ran those bond ads in our village paper while he was away.

DonBonds.JPG

Interesting about the Japanese guy not apologizing. Maybe they couldn't find a speechwriter who could word it quite right.

Oh, I looked like a kid for my war too.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Interesting about the Japanese guy not apologizing. Maybe they couldn't find a speechwriter who could word it quite right.

The Japanese lost the war. They surrendered. There were trials, executions and imprisonments. All of this took place over 60 years ago. The current Japanese prime minister does not owe us an apology. It sounds like our current 'leader', apologizing to everyone for every perceived sin that the US has committed in it's entire history. Funny how people will buy BMWs, VWs and Mercedes all day long, but mention a Toyota and they whip out the Pearl Harbor Card. Pearl Harbor and WWII are over and done, but should not be forgotten, not ever. Vilifying the 21st Century Japanese for the crimes of their grandfathers is just wrong

Edited by CarlLaFong (see edit history)

My father did not serve in WWII, although he was of age, being 31 when the war broke out.  He had a medical condition that kept him out of the service.  Living in Alexandria, Louisiana, during the war, he had plenty of opportunity to meet and help the military, however.  England Air Force Base was in my hometown, and during the war local residents were called upon to house airmen.  My parents did so, and had a couple of friends made in this manner who they kept in touch with their entire life.

The way the United States and it's people responded to being in the war will never be equaled, everyone came together and sacrificed as needed.  I just don't believe our culture today would endure such sacrifice for the Country.

As to the Japanese, they still remember the two big bombs, and regardless of the atrocities that they committed, they still resent (and in some case, hate) what Americans did to their country.  I've done business there, and the topic comes up in print quite often in the Japanese newspapers (printed in English) I've read while there.....

All of my Fathers brothers and sister served in WW2  His oldest was on a LST  did almost every landing in the Pacific .His sister was a nurse in England ,Work in the hosp when the wounded came from D Day .  My dad was in the army but was discharged because of loss of hearing .  His one brother served in Korea the whole war . The last served in Germay   After the war.   None would talk about what they saw or did  . Uncle on my mothers side landed onD Day ,served in Korea and two tours in Veitman as in special forces  . I served in Vietman  ,one tour was one to many  .Howard

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Next year in May will be my 50th anniversary of packing up and heading for my war. That was the second one after the war to end all wars. I'd sure like to buy a postwar car someday..... maybe, if they keep making cars.

Bernie

June of this year, 50 years for me, too.

1st Battalion 1st Marines Delta company

4 minutes ago, Grimy said:

One of the headset boys in darkened rooms with clean clothes every day?  Or out on some godforsaken mountaintop?

We got new socks, occasionally. Rarely wore T shirts. No skivvies, commando. Same cruddy stinky flak jacket the whole time. Ahhhh, precious memories

Guest accorsi

Thanks for posting this - the photographs in the day were so telling.  You can really tell that people were

excited to have their picture taken.  The Buick is astoundingly beautiful. 

It is a blessing that the flattops were not in Pearl on that fateful morning. With out airpower our Navy would not have been able to turn the tide at Midway. The cost would have been more lives lost and possibly a different outcome of the war. Thank you to all who have served. May the we never forget what they have done for us.

yl11.jpg