Looking for advice to purchase a Touring car

This past weekend I was at an auction and just fell in love with a 1915 overland touring car. I had not even went to the auction to purchase the car but to look over a couple of cushmans instead. Needless to say I hadn't even given thought to buying the car. The Cushmans sold and the car was up. The auctioneer went on to describe the history of the 1915 Overland. He explained it had been bought by the current owners father new in 1915 from the factory in Toledo Ohio. I was absolutely astonished at the originality and the solid condition of the car. I realized then that I truly had an interest in the car, but I had no idea of value or rarity. Because of that I didn't bid on the car, but I regretted it every day since this past week. I just thought what were the chances of finding another car such as that in that condition. Because of this I have decided to do some homework.

First off I should explain I know absolutely nothing really about the teens and twenties cars, and I have a good reason. I'm 39! So any information that anyone wants to pass along is welcome. First question I'd like an idea on is, are there any cars of this period that will do 50 55 mph comfortably? Secondly, Is there a touring car that may be priced under $30,000 and be perhaps a friendly first touring car? One other thing, are wooden wheels safe? I mean are they if they receive certain maintenance.

On a side note here, I have looked at a few cars in the period of the teens and twenties. To give you an idea of what my taste is like, I do like ford T's an A's but I'd rather have something different. For example a 1925 Chrysler b25 Touring roadster. Not that it is the car I'd like, but it's a good example of the character I'd be looking for. I definitely will only consider something that has been restored years ago as I doubt I can afford a fresh restoration. I really don't think that is my kind of car anyway. I like cars with a used look, or a look that I wouldn't be afraid to take it out for a drive. My occupation is automotive refinishing, so I'm accustomed to working on cars.

I think I know the car for you! We recently visited a friend-of-a-friend. She's a widow whose late husband collected a few old cars and worked on them. He was a machinist by trade. When he died some years ago, he left three cars in the garage and shed: a 1929 Model A sedan (restored, very nice driver), a 1928 Studebaker Erskine (nearly finished except for installation of upholstery), and - amazing coincidence! - a 1917 Willys Overland touring car. He had rebuilt the engine and driven the car around the yard, but never touched the body. The roof frame is there in decent condition, though it needs a new cover. You could drive this car as a "survivor" without much work. I'm sure the price would meet your needs, though the widow doesn't know what to ask for the car. She was active in the old car hobby, knows what she has, but how do you put a price on one of these? Send me a PM if you are interested in the Willys Overland or one of the other cars. The Model A and Erskine have good chrome and decent "back yard" paint. From what I saw, he did very good mechanical work, paid attention to details. He had a full machine shop in the garage. The cars are located near New Bedford, Massachusetts.

post-47871-143142489948_thumb.jpg

post-47871-143142489932_thumb.jpg

post-47871-143142489942_thumb.jpg

You've chosen the right era if you want to get the most for your money... the late teens and early 20s are probably the time period that is least popular in car collecting... and car collecting is just as subject to fad and fashion as ladies shoes and neckties.

50-55 mph comfortably. Generally no. The big, powerful cars like RR, Pierce Arrow etc could but those are not likely to be in your price range. Probably all of the mass consumption cars like Ford, Dodge, Crylser etc could hit that speed but they would not be happy. The average speeds in the period were more in the 35-40 range and many of the roads barely supported those speeds. There are probably some exceptions (the big Hudson, Studebaker or Oldsmobile?) There are others here who will know far more about that than I do, but the list is going to be fairly short. Keep in mind that there are safe limits to how fast you should go in a heavy car with 2-wheel brakes. The good thing is, picking the right car will have little effect on the price as long as its not one of the well known luxury names. I'd also say, take your time. Its a buyers market today, especially in the period you like. [edit: Steve Mack CT has a good observation. Take a look at the Marmon in the Buy/Sell section. That is a "big luxury car" and an exceptional value. Franklin's are also great cars and the late teens, early twenties cars are very under appreciated.]

Wood wheels are perfectly safe if in good condition. Many have lasted 100 years and are still going strong but they can deteriorate and you'll need someone who knows what they are looking at to advise you. You can always have them re-spoked if you are worried about them. There are several very good sources for new wheels.

If your occupation is auto painting you will know this can be very expensive. Look for something that needs paint... either because it is worn or because someone painted it something hideous 30 years ago when all sorts of circus wagon colors were popular. Most of us know how expensive a paint job can be and will aggressively discount a car with an idiotic paint job... I'm thinking of a fabulous Locomobile (around 1919) painted pinkish beige with white fenders on wide white walls... it looked like a wedding cake on roller skates.

Good Luck!

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

Agree with JV - one era where you can get a larger open car for under $30K. One example is the Marmon currently in the "buy/sell" section at I believe $18K, I have attached another ad (no affiliation, just a cool car for the money, IMO) for a 1918 Buick I think represents a great buy on a quality make, and not too far from usable from what I can tell:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/4397344571.html

We have some pretty rugged demountable wooden wheels on the T Speedster, which I understand were initially made for closed cars. As much as guys value wires on these cars, I like the look of the big wooden wheel and white tires - they seem more rugged/safe to me than some of the wires I have seen, and I know from experience (Model A) wires can bend fairly easily..

GOOD LUCK And GO FOR IT!!

I am partial to Buicks because they are robust in design and have OHV engines that practically run forever. Buick went to 4 wheel brakes in 1924. If you really want to drive over 45 mph, I suggest you look for a Buick between 1924-1932 with artillery (wood) wheels. If you are concerned about wood wheels, have them sand blasted with a soft abrasive and you will find any bad wood while saving days of manual refinishing.

Good luck,

Guest richentee

If you are after interesting (from engineering, artistic, collecting and club aspects) late teen, early twenties cars, I would suggest Franklins. These air-cooled cars were unique in the States. The club is active, family friendly, and loves to drive their cars. Starting in the mid-twenties, the car are considered classics and were designed by deCausse. Check out the Franklin web site: www.franklincar.org.

One important distinction:

1915 and earlier is the cut-off for Brass-Era Touring, AACA Reliability Tour, HCCA, etc.

Later cars are also great, but fall into the Nickel-Era

Our 1914 Buick is the larger 4-cylinder B-37, with 35 horsepower, rather than the 23 hp of the smaller B-25. Buick also made a 6-cylinder 55 hp car in this era.

So if your desire is for a particular grouping, remember this distinction.

(Click on the photos to enlarge)

post-54863-143142489997_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142490009_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142490011_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142490013_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142490015_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142490018_thumb.jpg

This thread is great. I too am a "younger" fella of 37 years and I abolutely love these cars. The only 2 things I want other than the 1939 Buick I am working on now is an older touring type car and lastly, a Corvette.

The older the better when it comes to cars for me. The designs are unmatched. Gorgeous cars.

The late 'teens and twenties cars are certainly great cars to own and drive. They are very affordable and, for the most part, easy to work on. Buicks are great and very reasonable. Hudsons are also well respected and known to be great tour cars-there was a nice four passenger speedster/touring on this site not too long ago. That unrestored Marmon listed for sale is certainly a bargain and I am surprised it hasn't sold. Some of the more unusual makes such as Chalmers, Mitchell, Paige, Studebaker, Overland etc are really good looking and can be purchased at an affordable price. The First and Second series six cylinder Packards are often overlooked but are good driving cars too. To make them better road cars, overdrives can easily be installed if you are going do a lot of touring.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

No touring is going to be comfortable at 50 - 55. If you want one that will cruise at such speeds, look for a medium or large 6 or 8 cylinder car from the thirties. But the wind will be pretty bad.

A pre 1920 model will be happiest at 20 - 25, maybe as high as 40 or 50 for the most powerful models.

If you really demand 50+ cruising for long distances look for a closed car, late 30s or newer. Preferably one of the higher priced models and specifically not Chevrolet, Hudson or other splash lubricated motor.

This thread is great. I too am a "younger" fella of 37 years and I abolutely love these cars.

Billy, have you ever felt like you were an oddball? I have I think a lot of friends, and none of them are interested in old cars older than the 50s. I have such a hard time associating with my friends when they talk about cars and how fast they are, or do this to the computer and you'll get x-amount more horse power. It gets really interesting when I bring up Cushmans. What's a Cushman? How fast do they go? 40mph, why would you only wanna go that slow for? I get so tired of the same questions and the same expressions towards the old stuff. Makes me wonder who else is interested in this old stuff out of my generation. Glad to see someone else appreciates it like I do.

The Franklin is unique, but that Marmon is an awesome car! Is that an electric start model? It appears that way in the picture of the carb side of the motor. I don't see a place for the crank at the front either, but that probably doesn't mean anything. Thanks for all the replies. I'm keeping watch and not abandoning the thread.

Our 1914 Buick needed a new ring and pinion, so instead of making the new one at the old ratio of 4.08:1, we had the new one made at 3.31:1. We cruise comfortably at 45 (and sometimes more), but have to remember that these early cars have only 2-wheel brakes and a small contact tire patch at that - Many of us have been known to use the foot brake and the emergency brake at the same time even at low speeds when some inconsiderate driver pulls in too close and then brakes hard for a quick turn into a shopping mall.

Our Buick is a ball to drive.

You might want to visit Lancaster, PA when the Reliability Tour is there in June, just to see the pre-1916 cars - and talk with those of us who will be happy to share all kinds of information - there might even be some good leads about cars for sale!!

post-54863-143142492075_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142492077_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

I don't think any touring car is going to be comfortable for the driver at 50 MPH or more.

There's simply too much wind resistance.

I can drive my '19 Touring T at 40 MPH but it "feels" right at 35 MPH.

Conversely my '27 Tudor T feels fine at 40 MPH but that's pretty much wide open throttle which I don't particularly care to do the engine anyway.

A Model A Ford will do 50 MPH all day long.......but feels better at 45.

As mentioned above, taking into consideration the foot print and "brakes" (if you want to call them that), getting up speed is one thing........stopping is another story and the much more important one of the two.

What a great thing, a guy of your age, looking for a touring car. Most younger people like the muscle car era but there isn't anything like driving an early car. I'm particularly knowledgeable about the 1920's cars and just got back from a tour with the East Coast Chapter of the Durant club. Rode in a 1923 Star touring to South Bend, Indiana to tour the Studebaker Museum. Also went to the Hudson Museum in Shipshewana Indiana. There seems to be a great difference in advancement and speed between say the pre-1925 cars and the later in the average car class. The old 1925's and before and especially the 1923's have a max speed around 35 mph, much faster and your pushing the engine pretty hard, especially the older 4 cylinder models. The later 1920's cars have the horsepower starting to creep up and can do 45 of 50 mph. But remember you can go that speed, but you have to plan ahead to stop. Brakes were developing then too and many older cars only had two wheel mechanical brakes, especially the lower priced units. The 1923 star has two wheel brakes but my 1928 has 4 wheel brakes. When you tour you have to plan on going the back roads as you just can't push these on a heavily traveled or interstate road. But you get a different perspective of life as it was back then and always, always get the thumbs up and big smiles by everybody you pass. That time period was so exciting in the automotive industry as each manufacturer was trying to compete with the other by experimentation on what worked better for the public. If I were you I'd go for a late 1920's touring and have fun. But I strongly suggest that whatever you decide on, you join the club for that marque to gain knowledge of how to repair and maintain that car. You might even join the club prior to buying your car and many more wiser people can give you many many pointers on what to look for in a car. I was a member of the Durant club for over 5 years prior to me finding and buying my car. Don't regret a minute of it.

Guest thefryeguy

I too am on the young side for appreciating early touring cars. I have always had diverse tastes, thanks to being lucky enough to have a dad that taught me as much. I got my first pre-war car last year: a 1923 Durant Sports Touring. It was born a regular Touring, but I am completing the 'upgrade' started by the long time owner. The Durant Motors group (as mentioned by Mike above) has been an absolutely wonderful resource in my efforts at maintenance, etc. To have one of these early cars and have the assistance of the many older generations is an honor and a privilege. It is also a responsibility of great importance since so few of our generation has any appreciation. Someone has to step up and save these cars and all of the accumulated knowledge before they are both lost. Best of luck in finding the right touring car for you, and grab those spare parts whenever/wherever you can!

-Todd

Hi prewar car fan,

I see you are from Northwest Ohio. Lots of great roads and pre ww11 car fans in the area. Bob Brown and his VMCCA crew have run The Three Rivers Run in Defiance for pre 42 cars for 20 year and this year are hosting the VMCCA/AACA Glidden tour in late September in Defiance. There will be 200 of these cars in your area for a week. I had hoped to do the Glidden this year but recently discovered I broke my ring and pinion on my 12 McLaughlin-Buick last year on the Definace tour. It will not probably not be ready by September and will be costly as non Ford parts have to be custom machined and I will be putting in new axles and bearing etc while it is apart. Which is exhibit A why you should highly consider a Ford. Hey, I knew that going into it ten plus years ago but bought it anyway. You also want to consider what you want to do with car. If you want to tour which is best part in my view, there are usually three brass era tours in the midwest with AACA's Snappers(pre 16 cars), HCCA's Midwest Brass(pre 13) which is mostly people in southern Mich, Northwest Ohio and Northern Indiana. With most brass or two wheel brake cars of the late teens or twenties, you may need a tow vehicle and trailer to go on anything out of your area. There are also lots of Model T tours in your area including the all Michigan tour an all Ohio tours that usually have about 100 T's. The 1916-1927 two wheel brake non fords have limited touring opertunities, need a trailer/tow vehicle and limited part availabilty but are cheap to buy. I could talk for hours but gotta go now. I am involved with the AACA Ohio Region that is hosting their fall tour in Northwest Ohio in October. Feel free to PM me at tomcarnut@yahoo.com I come up to your area on business.

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

I know the feeling of being at an auction and seeing something "new" to me, falling in love... and no time to research the value. With something as big and pricey as a car, you made the right move when you passed. If you like the early touring models, start researching values and you'll be more prepared when you throw your money aw... I mean invest in an antique! Remember, there are price bumps for pre-1905 cars (Brighton Run, you know) and pre-1916 cars (HCCA eligible). Study eBay, the HCCA site, and auction results. You can get a nice, drive-able touring car, late 'teens to 'twenties for under $20k. And don't forget the Ford Model T. You'll never be stuck for parts or repair help with that one!

Phil

Hello and welcome, The open cars, touring cars, roadsters, open towncars, convertible coupes etc are a ball to drive, but as mentioned several times above, are rather 'breezy' above about 45-50. When on a tour, that really doesn't matter, because the other cars you are with, will also be driving at about the same speed.

The touring cars with the top up are like pulling a parachute. My '25 Pierce Arrow Touring will do over 55 with the top down, but it's not enjoyable, the amount of wind coming around the windshield really beats you up.

My '26 Derham Body Pierce Town car is even worse, the air coming around the windshield hits the divider window, and hits the front seat occupants in the back of the head. it feels like someone is hitting me with a pillow constantly..

I haven't had my '15 Chandler over 40 mph yet, at least according to it's speedometer. But it too seems like it will be most comfortable to drive at 40-45.

I have driven several open cars that a quite capable of 55-65mph.. a 1930 Pierce Arrow Sport Roadster, with Phil Hill's 3.55:1 gears. It is a very capable car, but over 55 it is just abusive to the occupants. The only way to enjoy a 60mph drive it to have the top up, and sidecurtains installed.

The cars in the teens are interesting to own, drive and study. The creative thinking of engineers, inventors and marketing is to me simply fascinating. History on wheels.

Cars prior to 1924 for the most part, did not have front brakes. 1924-5 was when they became available on most mid and high priced cars.

Pierce Arrow put 4 wheel brakes on all 1925 and later cars. Some 1924 series 33 cars were equipped with front brakes.. A good thing for a 5000# car!!

As suggested above, study, go to meets and tours, learn and shop.. you'll find what interests you.

GLong

Mr. Buicknewbee, I'm a bit like you. I'm experienced in the old-car

hobby but a generation or more younger than many members.

A few years ago I decided to jump back in time, look for an interesting

and unusual early car--and I did. It's time to get these underappreciated

"dark era" cars out of dead storage and get them back at shows and tours!

My 1916 car, a nice custom-bodied Locomobile, even had a 5-figure price,

despite asking prices that began at twice that. For your stated $30,000 limit,

patience should get you a great old car, such as an Overland, a Buick, a Moon,

a Cole, a Pilot--and the obscure old makes may generate more conversation

at shows than your neighbor's $200,000 Packard! You may find a

very nice car of 1916-1929 vintage for $15,000.

The lower speeds loved by early cars shouldn't deter you. If you have

plenty of country roads around you, as I do in Pennsylvania, you can go

for miles. Just map out the back roads in advance, or do some exploring!

I'd suggest buying from a long-term owner who knows the car.

Many of these cars, being no longer popular, have sat and sat and

likely need attention. Ideally it will have been on recent old-car tours

and proven reliable. There's a nice tour-reliable 1915 Buick roadster on the

Horseless Carriage Club website (hcca.org) for $19,950 (asking).

The fact that a car doesn't happen to be close by shouldn't deter you either,

since this era isn't bought and sold as much. Enjoy the hunt!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

You'll probably find that most old cars of the 1916-29 vintage

ARE older restorations. Very few from this era are being restored

today. They were perhaps popular at shows in the 1960's,

and were restored around that time. Even more reason for the

next generation to get them out, exercise them, and enjoy them!

I thought I'd chime in here and let you all know I'm still taking the advice in. Most all say the late teens and twenty cars aren't fun at 45 or 50. Hey I'm ok with that! I just wanted to know if there were cars for the budget that were capable of those speeds. Hey I have Cushmans, so I know all about moving at a slower pace to enjoy the ride. I'm still open to enjoying a early touring car even if they aren't capable or enjoyable at 40 or 50 mph speeds.

Taking some advice from a few of you I have known of a model t collector for years but I never stopped. Don't know why I didn't. Anyway I stopped and gave him the story basically that I told at the beginning of this thread. I was there for a good hour taking in a few of his stories and discussing his model t. He did have a larger collection a few years ago, but had sold them. Rats, too late! He invited me to a local Model t club that we will attend Wedneday of this week. Looking forward to that. I bet anyone I'm the youngest one there! Anyone want in on it? I'm trying to buy a car here after all and gotta come up with some money! LOL

As far as what make of car I'm thinking of, I haven't decided yet, BUT I am leaning towards a Buick. I'm already a member of the Buick club, AACA, and I already have a 57 Buick special the wife and I are fond of. In addition to that the Buick bodies appeal to me a little more than others. I found a Buick that needs work, but the price certainly appeals to me. I understand that usually more work and money goes into a restoration than buying one already done and turn key, but that's really not fun to me. I like originality and some patina to be part of the car. In fact, I'd be just as happy with a car that looked as if it was just pulled out of a barn than one that has a 100 point restoration finished. Unfortunately, this car I found has a title problem. I'll just have to see how that goes. Ohio has some of the most difficult retitling regulations that just make no sense.

Stay tuned and keep posting opinions! Thanks

Good Luck to you Buicknewbee. I have a couple of touring cars of that era and I enjoy them very much. I took over my Dad's collection when he passed I have always have had some choice of what to drive. I am a big guy and its important that I fit into the car also.I like my 22' Buick touring the best of the ones I have. It is more comfortable than my T or even my '14 Buick.(I am a bit too big around and tall for the T and the '14) I like the open cars more than the sedan. although it is nice to have a closed car in the spring or fall. Tends to get chilly here in Wyoming. I am glad to hear from younger people. We are certainly in the minority, (I am 41.)

You want to enjoy driving an older car at slower speeds. How fast the car will go will not have that much to do with how fast you will drive it as if you get a car you will find the right cruising speed pretty quickly. People ask me all the time "How fast" my 1915 Oldsmobile will go. I have no idea. I had it up to fifty once and that was way too fast. Anything over forty is sort of white knuckle driving. Between thirty and forty is good. You should make sure that you will enjoy the world at a slower pace.

I'm not so sure those 100 point restorations have much to do with FUN.

It's hard to have FUN when all you can think about is chipped paint and finger prints....... :rolleyes:

Sure.......they're nice to see........but give me a driver any day.

You are correct carartley. I have always have had more fun driving the cars. When we were younger we went to a Grand National Meet in Iowa. It had to have been 1981 or so and on the way back Dad asked my brother and me what was our favorite part of the vacation. I was fascinated by the furniture making at the Ammana colonies. My brother said "I got to ride in the Overland." After the judging on the way back to the trailer we got to ride around the parking lot in Gramp's 1910 Overland (it won its First grand national at that meet.) After that dad told gramps this story and they both agreed that it was a little sad that we had to drive 1500 miles to a meet so a 6 year old grandson could ride in his grand father's car. Since that happened we started driving the cars more and paid less and less attention to judging. I can appreciate a perfectly restored car and the work it takes to get it there but I feel its worth nothing if the car never gets out and driven. We started going on more tours and less and less meets since that summer.

Update,

shortly after I posted this thread I used the advice given. I have been aware of a location to a model T enthusiast for some time now. I never stopped there, but always wanted to. I introduced myself and told him of my auction story that happened a few weeks back. We got to talking and he invited me to a Model T club. I attended it with him an learned a lot. It was a fun evening getting to know everyone and telling them of my auction story also. My new friend and I learned of a local tour that we would have the opportunity to join in today, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Wednesday evening I spotted a 1931 Buick for sale just about an hour and a half from my house. It was advertised as a survivor. So I pictured original paint and original everything to go with it. An untouched Buick from 1931. I emailed the guy and asked for some more pictures and if it was still for sale. He contacted me the next day and said yes. So, I made an appointment to see the car Friday evening. I just couldn't wait to see what the car looked like. I only had the one picture to look at. So I picked the wife up after work yesterday and we were on our way. I was thinking this could be the one! This just might be the car we take for the occasional picnic or drive to the park. It didn't take long before we reached our destination. We introduced ourselves and headed to the barn to see the Buick. Well there were other cars for sale also, but I knew I couldn't afford them. So I just kinda concentrated on the 31 Buick. It sure did show its age and patina. I just loved it, but I was having a hard time reading my wife. I looked it over a little and the owner asked me if I wanted to hear the engine. I said, absolutely!! He pumped the pedal a little and explained the procedure with foot on the starter button and the gas pedal at the same time. It then come up to a purr of a kitten just waking up from a nap. He asked if we wanted to go for a spin and we jumped up in the seats and away we went. It was a rather windy evening. Not the perfect time to be in a car with no top, but I didn't care! Tooling down the road I looked back at my wife to see her reaction. Hmm, I just didn't know what she was thinking.

The owner pulled over and let me at the wheel. Wow! I was driving a 1931 Buick!! what an experience it was. After a few blocks around we made it back to the farm barn. I looked it over some more and asked some questions. Some of them that I had planned to ask, just didn't go very far. Like what kind of history could he tell me about the car? Well, unfortunately his dad just had a few strokes and much of the history was lost. I was a little disappointed since the car had been around for so long. He had only owned it for ten years, so not much history was made with them either from what I gathered, other than lots of parading down town. During this time of questioning I was also trying to decipher what the heck my wife was thinking. Drained of questions I proceeded to tell the owner that this was my first time dealing with such an early car that I was not familiar with. I really had no idea what the value should be or what to offer. Heading back to my truck I made the decision to get back with him after I talked with my wife since I couldn't make much of what she was thinking.

Heading home I asked, so what did you think of it? O BOY! She just let loose. She just couldn't see ourselves taking the kids in it and going anywhere. I said why? She thought it was just not that attractive or comfortable. Then she said, How much was it? I told her and she didn't like the idea at all. She just didn't get the idea of why I wanted a car like that in the first place! Well, after discussing it back an forth on the way home it appeared this would not be the car, especially after she referred to it as "a buggy with wheels."

So I obviously have some work to do with her if I'm going to convince her that it is a good idea. Maybe this car was just a little too original to impress her. I have showed her other pics. that aren't to far from what we drove. She just couldn't see past the dull chipped and peeling paint I think.

Now, back to the local tour. Today my son and I were invited to join along with my new friend to accompany him with his 1917 model T. The weather didn't look to promising at first this morning. It was very overcast and quite chilly, but the rain seemed to be east of us here in Ohio. So we agreed to make a go of it. When we left the weather was just right! Not to windy and not to cold. He showed up and we jumped in. My son was smiling from ear to ear. I imagine I was too! We were sitting so high off the ground. It didn't take long to see what everyone had been saying about driving these at a speed of 25 or lower. Even though we were only doing 20-25 mph it seemed as if we were flying. I think it was a combination of sitting high and so close to the radiator.

I found the operation of the T to be easy to understand after watching him for just a few stop and go's. What a simple vehicle. I'm not sure that the T would be a great car for me though. The pedals were rather close to my friend and I'm 6' tall. Sitting in the front seat was a little cramp for me and I wasn't even sitting on the drivers side. The Buick seemed to have leg room that I needed. I'm kinda wondering what that overland would have felt like. Anyway the short tour was a informative ordeal today while meeting new folks with the same interest. My son and I had a lot of fun even though we were familiar with the route we have taken before.

That's it for now. I have my work cut out for me I guess. I'm going to have to figure out how I can get my wife to see it from my point of view. I think if it were a little cheaper or a little more presentable she wouldn't have quite the negative attitude. We will see.

I know the old saying "If mama ain't happy ain't NOBODY happy".......but.......what about YOUR happiness?

1931 Buicks are not only beautiful cars but quite rare.

Your wife and I (and you too apparently) have WAY different ideas of what's beautiful........and "A buggy with wheels"?....... :mad:

Thankfully my wife has NEVER questioned anything I ever bought be it old tractors (with which I was heavily involved for much of my life) or my old cars (a much more recent shift in interests).

I'm keeping my wife....... :D

I just got back from a 15'ish mile ride in my '19 Touring T.......just because....... :)

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

Cars have always attracted men more than women,

so don't be too disappointed that your wife hasn't

jumped into the idea with both feet. It was probably

similar back in the horse-and-buggy days. Maybe it

will be primarily YOUR hobby with your son--what a great

bonding experience!--but your wife will likely go along

occasionally.

But old cars don't have to be a hobby like football or fishing

where the wife spends week-ends at home. The A.A.C.A.

is family-oriented, with lots of women participating too!

Some become real car fans; but for others, local tours,

and national tours as well, often have destinations that the

feminine inclination will enjoy also. And once the wives start

meeting people--even other wives--they really make long-lasting

friends.

And if you get a good car, your money is used wisely. It will need

occasional maintenance, but it will hold its value and even appreciate.

Get her a pretty car and emphasize the family aspect of the hobby!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Sounds like you need to drag home a car without her getting involved.

She will hate you for a bit - she will hate the car for a bit longer.

But eventually she will give up and go along with you, just to see your happiness.

Some women - mine included - just cannot envision a finished product.

Put your foot down and make it happen.

Good luck.

Tom

I was in Auburn over the weekend - pretty close to you, and would have been happy to come along and check out the car for you. My wife and I love those open Buicks, and the early 1930s are good cars.

If you are not buying it, please check my email to you and phone me. I am interested.

buicknewbee:

Thank you for the account of the test drive of the 1931 Buick. I was interested in this car also. One of the local Buick club director's father showed interest in purchasing this car. He had called me to ask my opinion as to what to expect. His main issue was that the model 55 is the smaller series Buick and would probably be too cramped for him. Also he thought the price was too high. They bought a 1930 Model A sedan instead! I believe that this is the car currently advertised in the Buick Bugle. He sent me the same photo as appears in the Bugle. But at the time would not disclose the price or location. I told him if he was no longer interested I certainly would be. Even at the asking price I would have to sell both my cars and would still be short! From your description the photo shows better than the actual condition. But I still like it!!

post-79073-143142513078_thumb.jpg

I was going to PM you with some touring car leads that I had come across and could not act on. Price/Distance/Condition. But as I know if the wife dislikes it as you have indicated it is a lost cause. I have been sorting out the 1925 Standard touring we bought over 2 years ago and still have not gotten to a point where I feel that my wife can safely drive it. I know she would love to. We do enjoy our short outings in it. She is comfortable with driving our 1937 sedan.

Got to get the women involved!

post-79073-143142513065_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143142513074_thumb.jpg

Well...she has never really questioned my interest in old cars or cycles before until this particular car. I'm kinda unsure what to do next. She does love old cars that I've had interest in before. I think it was just the kinda sudden interest in the thirties and twenties that through her off. It may be that she wants me to finish a few projects first and then it would be ok to buy another. Although I have told her in the past that projects don't just necessarily get finished one after another. It takes time to do research, find the right parts, and right suppliers. She agrees with that so I have to remind her of that.

I think what is somewhat bothering her is that the car we looked at is far apart from what we had discussed last year. I know this because it just come up last night! LOL We looked into maybe getting a buick convertible again after seeing a 56 special convertible last year at a local car show. It was a beautiful car, but it wasn't for sale. I looked on the net again and still haven't found a turn-key 50s Buick convert for $30,000. Lots of basket cases and projects available for under 30k but just nothing that is drive away. Don't get me wrong, I knew we wouldn't find a convertible for $30k that was restored to 100 point, I wouldn't want a car like that anyway, but we were hoping to find one that was at least drivable and work on it as we owned it.

I got totally off subject here! I just need to find out what she likes. Almost every year and model look totally different from the previous year. If the 31 was polished and in fresh paint, it may have looked totally acceptable to her. I just have to learn to look for the middle ground and keep her interest up also. It won't be a fun hobby if it's just me.

Yep. Had me a wife once. Told her to shut her yap when I'm buying anything old and vintage. She had to open it and she aint my wife no more for a long time now. I have made a living and paid the bills wrenching on stuff for many years. I did not her opinion on how to support her then, And I sure don't need it now. Got a girl friend instead for more years than I was married. Every now she opens her yap and I have to remind her that the bills are paid and there is food on the table because of what I do for a living. End of discussion.

I have to agree with you on the Tin Lizzy's. I'm also around 6 foot and am crunched in a Model T Ford. Had one once. Don't miss it for that reason. With that said I have had fun showing others how to drive a Model T Ford. And have repaired some also. This is why ol "Dandy Dave!" Has a 1915 Buick. The first time I sat in it, it was more comfortable than my living room couch. It has open overhead valves and was 37 HP. It is factory equipped Electric start and was still a 1915 so it is HCCA eligible. I was sold and have never regretted it. Best part, My long time lover loves to tour in it. Happy Trails to You in your search for the right teens and twenty's car. Dandy Dave!

That selection of three cars Gary Ash told you about in Massachusetts sounds like something right on target for what you said in your original post. The 1931 Buick sounded excellent, too. Definitely try before you buy and factor in roominess and drive-ability, as some of you have talked about already. You could probably stand 30 minutes in any car if all you ever did was warm it up and do a ten-block parade. What if all of you piled in this unknown-as-yet car and drove to Terre Haute, Indiana? You might pick a different model.

In my opinion, you shouldn't be concerned that you're 39 and interested in cars from the teens and twenties. Do you know how old you'd have to be to have been in high school when those cars were new? At least 101 for a 1931, and 116 for a 1916!

Jeff in Idaho

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

I'm 5'11" and have no problem in my '19 Touring T....... :confused: .........but I tip the scale at 165'ish (+ or -) too.

With what you are willing to spend you can make that Buick look the way the wife would prefer it to look.

My preferences don't lean toward mirror finishes though.......I like old cars to look old and, preferably, original but they aren't easy to find.

That said, going from a '31 Buick to a 50's car is quite a switch.

For the record I'm 62 but in my case age has nothing to do with anything.

I've loved old stuff my entire life....... :D