Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

27 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Here is the '62 Six Window. Mt wife and I had a '62 Electra 225 Six Window in the mid-1980s. She still remembers it as her all time favorite car.

May be an image of car and outdoors

Thanks Bernie

i just love the 6 window cars

they have that touch more elegance

Marty

just piced up my car today had oil change ,check brakes adjust door carb tuneup ,rotate tires ,,just about to roll over 80,000 miles getting ready for drive to Lisle Ill Buick meet,,,,,did I say i paid $5 gallon  for half a tank of gas here un Ohio

car in garage.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/6/2022 at 1:02 PM, MRJBUICK said:

Beautiful Buicks

a quick question

the safety touring inspection what do they check and do they work with a check sheet

it might be something interesting to do with our chapter if not to difficult

Marty

Marty;

there is a check list to go through, and it includes the basics like lights, signals, as applicable, horn. A look under the hood that everything is secure and there is no evidence of fuel leakage. We also lift each front wheel to check steering components, and play in the steering box, etc. Emergency brake test, and pedal height of the service brake too.

A look and listen at the exhaust system, as well as possible for leaks and missed or degraded hangers, and a sniff for fuel leaks at the back too.

We don't want to call it an actual safety inspection as it is not as through as the Ontario Govt standard is. We don't pull wheels, etc., etc.

However it does give a fair idea if a car is in decent shape.

I've done this service for another club (I don't check my own car at these meets, for obvious reasons) and have found very worn steering components on otherwise rather lovely looking cars.

It takes some effort to do this, and the Club has to have a person who is either mechanic or knowledgeable enough to do the front end checks.

Keith

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

Marty;

there is a check list to go through, and it includes the basics like lights, signals, as applicable, horn. A look under the hood that everything is secure and there is no evidence of fuel leakage. We also lift each front wheel to check steering components, and play in the steering box, etc. Emergency brake test, and pedal height of the service brake too.

A look and listen at the exhaust system, as well as possible for leaks and missed or degraded hangers, and a sniff for fuel leaks at the back too.

We don't want to call it an actual safety inspection as it is not as through as the Ontario Govt standard is. We don't pull wheels, etc., etc.

However it does give a fair idea if a car is in decent shape.

I've done this service for another club (I don't check my own car at these meets, for obvious reasons) and have found very worn steering components on otherwise rather lovely looking cars.

It takes some effort to do this, and the Club has to have a person who is either mechanic or knowledgeable enough to do the front end checks.

Keith

Thank You for the info

I am definetly going to incorpoate something like this into a club meeting

probably wont include the jacking but everything else sounds great

its a great idea for the begining of the season

appreciate the help, always looking for something new at the meetings

Marty

• Like 2

I'm five days late with this, but last Sunday my wife and I drove out to Avon, Indiana to visit an old friend for few days. The Buick passed a major test this week, and that test was whether my wife could endure the seats for hours on end like she would have to if we were to take the car on our Route 66 trip in the Fall. She did just fine, being reasonably comfortable with the help of a seat pad that changed her seating angle ever so slightly. So we'll be able to take the Skylark! The only downside was wind noise, but I can deal with that for the most part by replacing the crumbling weatherstrip around the doors. I'm happy!

88335DDD-BC1E-4C4D-8194-8ACF99C8822E.jpeg.802d35ce8a095b094de26a81ce9467e3.jpeg

• Like 9

Glad to hear the Skylark is performing well!  You can diagnose the wind noise by sealing the area where you suspect leaks with masking tape.  That should help you to identify the worst leak points.  Given the sedan body, you should be able to eventually get it pretty well sealed with new weatherstripping and/or door adjustments.  It's harder to squash wind noise on pillarless hardtops that lack perimeter window frames.

• Like 1

The masking tape is  great idea that I would not have thought of. I'll give it a try. I closed the doors on a sheet of paper that showed where I had a tight seal and where I did not. The weatherstrip is visibly crumbling and will be replaced anyway, but the masking tape test will demonstrate how much noise is coming from the door seals and how much is coming from elsewhere. The other source of wind noise are the vent windows. The rubber seems good, but the latches are loose and no longer shut the windows tight. I'll start a new topic on that issue in the Postwar section.

For a temporary fix you can put a piece of the old woven style clothesline behind the rubber gasket and tighten things up. I may have heard of a slippery car salesman who did that to calm down rattles as well.

"Some say" it works so well you may have to redefine temporary.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 6/10/2022 at 7:04 AM, EmTee said:

You can diagnose the wind noise by sealing the area where you suspect leaks with masking tape.  That should help you to identify the worst leak points.

On 6/10/2022 at 9:12 AM, 60FlatTop said:

For a temporary fix you can put a piece of the old woven style clothesline behind the rubber gasket and tighten things up.

I'll give a report on my results with your diagnostic suggestions after I try them, probably in a week or two. The car is up in the air right now with the wheels off while I wait for sway bar links and bushings, shocks, and new wheel nuts to arrive. I also ordered a set of vent window handles to replace the badly worn ones that are on the car.

• Like 3

Great picture with those wild daises!  We had lots of purple and white phlox pop up around here.  They're just about gone now.  I'll have to try to get a similar picture with them next year...  ;)

• Like 1

Went to a "Dull Men's Club" car show on Saturday in Pembroke, MA.  Yes, they actually call themselves dull men, but not boring!

june 2022 meet.jpg

• Like 4

I took my '64 Riviera for a ride down the street for a couple of loops around the library parking lot and then across the new flooring and up the ramp. Putting down vinyl flooring and working towards a "no heavy work" garage.

IMG_0337.JPG.05cd2da62baa9a70a208e6642d9e1fde.JPG

The convertible thinks it looks like Grandma O'Brien's upstairs bathroom.

IMG_0330.JPG.e766bc8f75248169f1aa037a4e625eef.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Met a new prewar Buick owner from Portland OR at the WAAAM West Museum in Vancouver WA.  He and his two teen sons toured the museum and loved it.  Then, the boys rode with me in my 1931 Buick to my Buick Barn and to my home shop to see my collection. 

The photo below was taken at the museum. 

31 Buick at Polly Gas Station 2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

We did a short 26 mile jaunt around Franklin County for out 45th wedding anniversary.

thumbnail_IMG_0208.jpg.c355644bfae8d223bf1d1e2c3a9ee24b.jpg 

Congratulations on both counts Larry!  Happy Anniversary!

Took the Sport wagon out for a short drive in the California sunshine on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.  I replaced a bad radiator cap after which it performed quite well. Sometimes the long roof is as much fun to drive as the Riviera GS and the 225!

IMG_20220612_174836__01.jpg

IMG_20220612_174808__01.jpg

• Like 4

Monday night (Last night at this writing) we took the Electra to a cruise in at the small resort town of Port Dover, on the North shore of Lake Erie. This is the first time I've been there since 2019. There were about 170 cars in attendance and it was a perfect night to be out.

Other than my Buick there were quite a few other ones there as well, with a nice '64 Wildcat, a few 60's Skylarks, then a beautiful '37 Pontiac convert which has been in her family since new. A few nice Fords too, including this Bronco II, and the sharp looking black and yellow (with matching interior) '57 Fairlane.

I drove a Bronco II for many years, bought it new in '87 and traded it in, in '98 on another Ford! There were lots of these little trucks around, but like so many other cars the rust worm took most of them.

Then there was this '41 Chev coupe, very nicely done too and with body lines so much like my '41 Roadmaster coupe. The latter of which I was going to drive, but I'd been working too much during the day my hands were aching badly, so the feather light power steering on the Electra won the day.CruiseElectra.jpg.0f9c926654b12f902398777af975a4be.jpgCruiseWildcat.jpg.c8bee502df90321b30ab6b12a30e5c5f.jpgCruisePontiac.jpg.1c8daa0a1dc84210e1d8f127e715e5ed.jpgCruiseChev.jpg.9a4f5c4383427208c7dd2c68dc25214d.jpgCruiseBronco.jpg.692ac1a898f5c8cb5545df17beb74dc4.jpgCruiseFords.jpg.81125281731ed72162da7eb22899fdeb.jpgCruiseSkylark.jpg.b5dc1d0eda42a00d59e077b1892a39d5.jpg

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 7

I'm not sure this entirely qualifies for this thread, but I'll post it anyway. My son and I got the '16 McLaughlin, which uses the Buick light six of that year, and related running started for the first time this year. There's a wee bit more to getting it going than the newer ones, but once we got it all oiled and the vacuum tank primed it started easily and ran just lovely!

This car is amazing as it starts and runs so well it is hard to believe it's now 106 years old!

Hopefully we will get it out for a drive in the near future!

Here's a picture of it taken last year in front of the mansion of the man whose company built my car. That's my son in the back seat of it.

Keith

McLaughlin16Keith_GraSml.jpg.d874460e62d5e5d98600932f59ee247c.jpg

• Like 10

In the garage today, tomorrow is the big Father's Day picnic at my sister's place. There will be at lease a couple of old cars and a lot of young and old car guys.

It was a cleaning and shining day inside on a fairly cool and windy day. My project for the last week has been fitting the new vinyl flooring. I am about 2/3rds done and it really brightens the place up. I had two old home office chairs without backs that like scooting around on the stuff, too.

This is my annual deep clean. The car is ready to go most of the time but when I park it in the back yard it gets a good coating of tree spores. Hand rubbing with 3M 5973 fine compound does a nice job of smoothing things out before polish. My test is to make sure the polish bottle slides off all the panels. I am in for the night. A little more tomorrow and it's picnic time!

IMG_0345.JPG.9640e31908e0ae6c61d7ff2ef7a58900.JPG

• Like 5

I drove the '38 Century to the local Friday cruise-in.

image.png.b449c3bc8859a33a845fb11f4bf5309a.png

image.png.b2067430a5e48aa9eac13ed8a04b7f99.png

There's typically only a couple of pre-war cars (not counting street rods), however, yesterday there were a couple of new ones that I hadn't seen before.  First was this '37 Chevy:

image.png.3a8cb5f727f649b6d1cb4877438871f1.png

Then there was this '41 Ford:

image.png.6b977dbb5a2cb9335fb0b1c2ae857f73.png

The '38 Chevy 'woodie' that I was hoping to see didn't make it this week...

Oh, and though not pre-war, there was this nice looking '47 GMC:

image.png.79c3935e5f8370a66e6fd920d62aed90.png

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 6

went to a show today at Lakeside Ohio only two Buicks ,me a n a guy who drove althe way from Colunbus,Oh,,both of us going next week to the BCA Meet   He said this was a misprint in the Bugal ,,"1972 Electra one of 150"

72 Buick at Lake Side 3.jpg

72 Buick at Lakeside 2.jpg

73 Buick at Lakeside Oh.jpg

73 buick at Lakeside.jpg

Edited by Buick Regal GS (see edit history)
  • Like 3

My daughter Bethany came to visit for Father's day. No photos were taken but we had the 1925 out and about all over Franklin county for 2 days. We did about 30 miles doing errands, church and just sight seeing. Glorious days weather wise.

• Like 3

I had time only for a short test ride yesterday after installing new shocks, sway bar links, vent window latches, and a passenger side side-view mirror. Got everything done just in time for the kids to come over for Father's Day festivities. Next up: door weatherstripping.

Edited by Machine Gun (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Took my wife and Goldie to Binghamton yesterday to see the Hemmings Great Race cars as they arrived for their overnight stay on their way to Fargo, ND.  Big cruise-in was set up along part of the same street where race participant cars were lined-up as they arrived.  Beautiful day, albeit cool (65~70) but bright sun.  Nice day for a drive and the downtown Binghamton event was fun.  My wife even said she had a good time watching the racers arrive!  If the race passes anywhere near where you live, I recommend going to see it!  ;)

image.png.42da0e80e6b310929f2129f4b66f8003.png

image.png.53a3015e9d2b2effc1d56bd3f75e5077.png

More pictures: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/380067-aj-in-the-great-race/page/3/#comments

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Got the Queen out for an errand this am. Yesterday and today we have that warm weather Chicago had last week,  and I wanted to see what the A/C vent temp could be.   

Here is the temp after the 3 mile ride

20220626_100801.jpgDan wasnt kidding when he told me the system blows ice cubes. 

20220626_101323~2.jpg

It is a great car to drive. 

• Like 9

Went for a short ride to DD and to get gas in hopes of a ride today. Unfortunately it was 85 degrees and extremely humid at 9:00AM. I decided against time in the direct sun, instead did a couple of detail jobs in the cool garage. 

263B1A39-6708-4482-A902-B5CAB77AB05F.jpeg

• Like 5