Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

9 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Nice and thanks for sharing. Growing in Blue Point on the south shore thanks for the pictures.

You understand well that Long Island is not all fun and games with traffic and suburbia but parts of it do have charm and beauty and having such differences between North and South shores only about a half hour to an hour from each other make it a very interesting place to live.

• Like 1

It was 72 deg. today and sunny with tomorrow a high of 40! I got Beulah out today from the garage down the street. A nice day for a drive with the top down. I brought it home at lunchtime for Joan and I to put up the top.
DSC00197.JPG.3af91aade10f52653d99c66bbf3cf2b8.JPGDSC00198.JPG.d7151d1b4a067054bb480692ba8895ba.JPG
Joan's 97 year old mom supervising the operation.  Same age as the car.    DSC00199.JPG.aaa046381d206e5beade6bba73dcf5fa.JPG   After a 6-mile drive to fill up with 89 non-ethanol (it is $3.69/gal at this time) and then back in the building. Ready for her winters nap.
Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Looks like this may have been the last ride for the year for the 1941 Special. Really sorry to say that. It is getting colder here and 95 percent of the leaves are down. Next week I will clean the car, check the fluids etc and put it to bed for the winter. The 1941 Roadmaster is already wrapped up for the winter. Hope spring comes early!

655B8409-AEF3-4552-80FC-664FE532034C.jpeg

2E4DDAD7-B65C-4E47-AD66-0AC689FB72AB.jpeg

Edited by Den41Buick
Add pic (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I did drive one into the MCACN show...not many feet but in great company!

1) Mine, Thursday night load in

2) Mike Sobotka's 71 Burnished Cinnamon  Stage  1 4-speed curated by Adam and Atena Martin

3) Mike Sobotka's  70 Stage 1 Teal Mist Stage 1 Convertible - Adam's fantastic restoration.

65897347058__363045EF-4642-4678-B0D3-DE7C0465552F.jpeg

IMG_4271.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg

• Like 6

I went for drive  around my local  city---and decided to  park in front of  the most expensive hotel here,

to get a photo opp   of my 64 Electra----with the Hotel  Rolls Royce in the back ground,

they were probably not that happy ,  so i did not hang around there very long.

P1100415.JPG

P1100411.JPG

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I took advantage of the cool but sunny weather this weekend and added about 30 miles or so the '38 Century.

image.png.1d58ef431faace31d95fae5cdd3a5e9f.png

I also ran Goldie and the GP on Saturday.  There won't be too many more opportunities between now and spring...

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I had the Electra out yesterday and today the '41 Roadmaster out for their final fillup of the year. I went to the station on the reservation, it is quite a cheaper, plus it gives the car a nice run, but at about 20 miles each way it's about an hour's trip.

We had a few inches of snow last weekend, but rain since then so the roads were clear of salt.

BuickElectraGas.jpg

BuickElectraMile.jpg

Buick41Gas.jpg

Buick41Mile.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I'm having second thoughts about keeping the Skylark stored away for the winter. I had such a good experience driving it on Route 66 back in June that I'm finding myself wanting to use it as sort of a daily driver around here, but only when the roads are dry. My biggest concern of course is with road salt. When the roads are dry during winter you can sometimes see dust coming up off the tires of other cars that I assume is salt dust. I'm sure there are many opinions on this topic out there. Anyone care to share theirs?

Edited by Machine Gun (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

I'm having second thoughts about keeping the Skylark stored away for the winter. I had such a good experience driving it on Route 66 back in June that I'm finding myself wanting to use it as sort of a daily driver around here, but only when the roads are dry. My biggest concern of course is with road salt. When the roads are dry during winter you can sometimes see dust coming up off the tires of other cars that I assume is salt dust. I'm sure there are many opinions on this topic out there. Anyone care to share theirs?

Resist daily winter driving. I do take mine out on dry roads occasionally but I believe you are correct that the dust is road salt. So if it will be used make sure to rinse it well and let it dry out afterwards. Hit those hidden spots too like door bottoms, inner fender with their hidden areas, inside the lower front fenders from the door jamb side. Inside the frame rails and all the inner wheel opening welts. Neither water nor rock salt are your friends but a lot of clean water to eliminate rock salt is a better alternative. 

• Like 2

Like I said, I do drive mine when the roads are clear.  I think it's beneficial to exercise the cars during the winter.  In the past I have parked cars for the entire season without any problem (though that was back before adulterated gasoline).  "If if feels good, do it!"  ;)

• Like 2

...just be sure that if you do run the car you drive it until it's thoroughly up to operating temperature.  I have a couple of 'standard exercise loops' that I use when I just want to run the car.  The shortest is a 10 mile round trip, the other (my preferred route) is a little more than 20 miles long.  If you can't get the car fully warmed-up it's best to just leave it dormant in the garage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2021 at 8:06 AM, EmTee said:

...just be sure that if you do run the car you drive it until it's thoroughly up to operating temperature.  I have a couple of 'standard exercise loops' that I use when I just want to run the car.  The shortest is a 10 mile round trip, the other (my preferred route) is a little more than 20 miles long.  If you can't get the car fully warmed-up it's best to just leave it dormant in the garage.

Agreed. Today will be one such day when I have to take the Buick out of the garage because I'm getting a desk delivered, and the pathway is through the garage. We might get a dusting of snow today, which means that if it happens the roads will be salted. The car will have to be satisfied with idling itself to temperature in the driveway.

24 minutes ago, Machine Gun said:

The car will have to be satisfied with idling itself to temperature in the driveway.

I'd consider just running it long enough to get out and back into the garage today to minimize condensation.  Take it for a drive in a couple of days once the weather improves.  ;)

10 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

We might get a dusting of snow today, which means that if it happens the roads will be salted.

Yes, we had a dusting this AM and now the roads are covered with rock salt.  BUT, it's predicted we may have heavy rain with mid 50's temps on Saturday while Sunday will be clear with mid 40's temps.  Hope the meteorologists have their "A" game on for this forecast! 

4 hours ago, neil morse said:

A lovely day to drive out to Fort Funston for a hike.  (I was going to post this under "Winter Buicks," but that would be too cruel! 😝)

Funston1.jpg.b9c89db34684b4a16662115c1a162104.jpg

Funston2.jpg.54c4be43b0d85e987358c87bd7e51a6a.jpg

funston3.jpg.274b168454ffdc9dbbf85508d048f9c3.jpg

Neil... you're killin me with these west coast pictures!  Fabulous!!!  And the Buick is awesome too!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The weatherman says Syracuse is currently about a foot behind the average seasonal snowfall curve.  I have no problem with that!  The first winter after moving into our current house (2010) the December snowfall was ~100 inches.  Winter will get here!  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

With all due respect to the folks  impacted by the Dec tornadoes, especially those in the mid-west who were in the direct path of one or more of them, it was a rare day here to get a few miles in.

20211214_155215.jpg

20211214_155054.jpg

With thoughts and prayers for those who are suffering...

• Like 6

Today was car juggling time. Though I didn't take my cars very far. I had to move the '56 Roadmaster, the '16 McLaughlin, my wife's '68 Wildcat, and a couple of daily drivers too.

The main reason was to move the Wildcat from the storage garage to the workshop garage so I can hopefully get some work done on that car again after Christmas. I figured now was a good time to get the move done in case the weather turns bad.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After all week being in the upper 70's and having to work, today we get a blustery cold front with upper 40's.   Started off at 30 but still enjoyed the day by exercising the 49 Roadmaster as well as the 31 Franklin and the 31 Plymouth. Forecast for Tuesday through Sunday is 70 to upper 70's again and dry as a bone.  Beer store run

20200809_104724.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1