Going on my first 'barn" find on Sunday

John_Maine

Kind of excited! We had some friends over for dinner last weekend and they asked me how to go about getting a value on the '32 Plymouth sedan the wife inherited from her father who passed away about a year ago. I have another friend in town that I go to Hershey with who does appraisals, so I immediately thought of him. Anyway, in conversation, the Plymouth is only the tip of the ice berg. Apparently, her father was a collector all his life. If he bought one of something, he bought twelve. So, besides the Plymouth, which he bought 40 years ago and is a partially restored car that has not been run for a couple of years, there is one complete Model T and several other Model T's in various unassembled condition and a ton of parts. Another barn has several trucks from the 'teens. There are also at least two 30' storage trailers full of parts. They said some of the trailers are so full you can't walk through them. I called my friend and made arrangements for us to go out Sunday morning to take a look. I'll post back on here what we find.

Hey John I am envious too!

Hey John- How come all we did when we met this summer (in Maine) is visit a brewery? Keeping all the good stuff to yourself? If you find brass stuff please let me know first :D;):rolleyes: !

Sorry we missed you at Hershey but we will be in your area next June for the VMCCA Chrome Glidden. Maybe you can join us? http://www.vmcca.org/ look at the left side for upcoming events.

Happy turkey day!

Hey John,

The GREAT RACE starts in Maine next June, an couple of weeks after the Chrome Glidden Tour which runs from June 8-13

A friend and I went on a hunt for a salvage yard today with over 6000 cars in it dating back to the 1930's that really haven't been picked from what I'm told and the guy is giving guys pulling parts really good deals as he is going to crush everything as soon as they build roads to it. Well inquired with a few friends in the area, they said he was only open Saturday. I had to work first thing and got to the yard 45 minutes away at 12:15 to find they were just closing. They are only open 4 hours a week and won't be open for a couple more weeks. Just my luck. That's the way my barn find/treasure hunts always turn out. Good luck. I buy NOS parts if you run across any that they want to sell.

Kind of excited! We had some friends over for dinner last weekend and they asked me how to go about getting a value on the '32 Plymouth sedan the wife inherited from her father who passed away about a year ago. I have another friend in town that I go to Hershey with who does appraisals, so I immediately thought of him. Anyway, in conversation, the Plymouth is only the tip of the ice berg. Apparently, her father was a collector all his life. If he bought one of something, he bought twelve. So, besides the Plymouth, which he bought 40 years ago and is a partially restored car that has not been run for a couple of years, there is one complete Model T and several other Model T's in various unassembled condition and a ton of parts. Another barn has several trucks from the 'teens. There are also at least two 30' storage trailers full of parts. They said some of the trailers are so full you can't walk through them. I called my friend and made arrangements for us to go out Sunday morning to take a look. I'll post back on here what we find.

PLEASE post a lot of pics. i have nephews that live in sanford. it it near there?

My wife threatens me not to die first. Say she will stick a sign out front - "Free Old Car Stuff" Told her, that in the barn is about 20 grand wholesale on a bad day--- 30-40Gs in the one next to it. Then in the garage at the house- Hmm hmmm 60? (She does not want old cars in "her" garage) but I have 4 in there at the moment (hers too) AND THEN out in the shop----- I don't even want to guess..... And that leaves outside in the yard.. DONT look at my place from the eye in the sky---- Not good---

Hmmm-- "He who dies with the most toys wins?" Wins what?

Gotta go now-- Just got a call about a GOOD DEAL--

Well, we did the barn find thing this morning - 20° with the wind blowing a steady 25-30 mph and higher gusts. I had on my long underwear, boots and heavy socks in addition to my parka, hood and gloves. Today is the coldest it has been in a long time but it was sunny and wouldn't have been too bad if the wind weren't blowing so bad. Lots of places without power, I'm amazed we still have ours because we usually lose it in much less windy conditions than this. Anyway.....

First barn or garage - Quonset hut style, probably 30' x 60' - was the guy's main working garage. In it was a rust free '31 Model A roadster undergoing restoration, just as he left it when taken ill late last year. Engine and transmission in and running. Fenders detached, some sanded down and and all rust free. The body also rust free, being worked on. Seat reupholstered and decent looking. All of the parts are there to finish, some still new in the box. In the garage itself, Model T wood and wire wheels, headlights (brass and others), horns, steering wheels, steering columns, brass radiators, hand cranks all hanging from the rafters. Found a radiator shell for a Cleveland, a 30's Cadillac heater box, a few steel toy trucks from the 30's. Lots of old tools - one a large, heavy, two man powered drill to attach to logs to bore holes through them used for making log cabins. Drawers and cabinets - a couple of pretty rare metal cabinets like the guys in Iowa like to buy - full of tools, bolts, parts, you name it. There was also a set of old school gym lockers full of miscellaneous parts and pieces. Also a fully redone and running Ford flathead from the 30's ready to put in something. I'm really just touching the tip of the ice berg, here. Next to the garage was a semi-trailer full of Model T & A sheet metal - fenders, hoods, more wheels, steering wheels, etc. There was a large rack of hub caps and wheel covers, some pretty mint from the 20's to the 80's. In the car barn was an original '32 Plymouth sedan that was last driven about 2 years ago. The car has original paint, original top insert (getting somewhat ratty), original interior which was in fantastic shape. Daughter said he bought the car 40 years ago from the original owners. Odometer showed 62K. Beside it was a Model T Truck also being worked on. Most, if not all of the wood work was done as was the engine and transmission. Original brass kerosene headlamps with missing lenses - I don't remember what year but my friend said it was the last year of kerosene lamps - 1912? 1915? Somewhere around there. All of the parts are supposed to be there to finish it - scattered around a bit, but there. In front of the Plymouth was a '31 Model A truck - I forget the model but whatever style it was, it was only available in 1931, something about the rear fenders? Anyway, it's complete and does drive. Again, scattered about were various wheels, parts and tools. We didn't go upstairs but it's also supposed to be full of fenders, doors, etc. Once in awhile the fellow would sell something. A few years ago he sold 20 Model T transmissions to a fellow in Massachusetts. In another garage was a '32 Model A 2 door coupe with rumble seat, basically complete with the parts not on it "somewhere" . Again, the engine was rebuilt and the car was rust free as near as we could tell. Lining the walls of this garage were more Model A & T parts, more tools, etc. There were two other smaller garages that we didn't look in that are full of parts as well as more stuff in the cellar of the house. We didn't move anything so goodness knows what's underneath the stuff we did see. I think there will be lots of surprises.

They have to sell the property - house, garages and 160 acres so have to sell all the car stuff first. There's way too much to sell on an individual basis, so they need to do an auction. My friend gave them the name of an auctioneer he knows who does car stuff and we told them we'd help them empty the barns and get things organized to do an auction next spring.

Sorry, no pictures. I totally forgot to take a camera. If I get back over there, I'll try to remember to do that.

Guest waterskier

I have lurked here for years and very much enjoy the postings. I read with the vigor of a new book John's account of his trip to his first "barn find". I have been fortunate in a lifetime of collecting, restoring and viewing to have been able to go on many of these trips each of them hold a place with me. They remind me of what it once must have been and that thank god there are a few more of these out there to enjoy. I always think there cannot be many more left. I just recently purchased a 63 Nova ss that had been parked away by a couple in their neighbors shop for 18 years. She was nestled among a smorgasboard of 60's muscle cars hidden away in the dark. I did not get to make this trip but savored every tidbit from the truck driver who picked her up for me. After my new addition parted the shop it was locked again the owner of the shop not at all ready to part with any of his treasures. I am sure for all or many here it is about the car but for me it is about the story. I love the story. Where did she come from, how did she get there and all the stories she could tell. To all of you who write on here about your love of the car and how you came to find your special car. To John and his opportunity and to the others who just lurk. The car is a great story to tell keep telling it.

According to the Model A Ford Club, the last "A" was built in August of 1931

There are a lot of discrepancies I guess, but this list is accepted as reliable as far as I know. It's true that they continued making replacement engines with higher numbers but if they put one in your car that wouldn't change the title and registration.http://www.modelaparts.net/enginenumberlist.html/enginenumbers.html