Your advice/counsel greatly appreciated

geigs

Hi all,

I've been into collectible cars ever since I was a tyke and have been to many car museums around the country as well as the annual Hershey show. I love them all! With all my interest in old cars, I have yet to purchase one. I look all the time, but I've never been able to finally go out and get one. I just can't decide. One week it's a Kaiser Manhattan, the next a Nash Statesman, and the next a Lincoln Premiere. I've always appreciated cars that are out of the mainstream because they seem to have a more novel approach in design and engineering. That being read, I'm also a big Mopar fan. Another thing that throws me off is sometimes I'm not excited by a particular car, but it's so well maintained and original, how could one pass it up (obviously, I've passed everything up)? So my question to you, is how I settle down and finally pick something? Your experience and suggestions would be very helpful, as I'm beginning to believe that if I don't do something soon, I never do it, or end up buying something that I'll regret. Thank you for your time and wisdom.

P.S. I'll be Hershey this fall, so that will be my last chance for the year to find something.

Hi all,

I don't do something soon, I never do it, or end up buying something that I'll regret.

The beauty of this hobby is that if your own a car that's fun for you and you find something you would rather have, you can sell and buy that something else. There is no stigma like getting a divorce, just enjoy the change. I will warn you that often we wish we still had that old car that we once sold to get sometnig else. It's part of the fun of the hobby.

You can't drive a dream. you have to take the plunge. Sounds like you'll have a ball pnce you get over the indecision.

Guest cben09

You can't own em all,,,,,but you can own em' one at a time,,,

Chose cars fun to drive and own,,,

This way if you get "stuck with it",, its STILL fun to own

Forget the investment part,,,,thats a path to an ulcer

Also,,,get a car that can handle local traffic,,,

Here in Maine we have some pretty old iron running around,

Five years ago a small group of us toured 3-4 hours,,15+ miles on dirt town roads,,

and not a single traffic light,,,

I go 15 miles to a grocery store[cheeper] and no stop sign or traffic light,,

Hope this helps,,,Ben

Guest daytona

I always have that problem, just ask my wife and neighbors. One neighbor actually stopped one day to ask if I belonged to the car of month club.

It takes a while to figure out what you really want (at least for me) so buy one keep for long enough to decide if you like or not and then sell or keep it. I have bought about 8 cars in the last 4 years, and LOTS more before that. I always have 2 or 3 but they keep changing I hope I have the right mix now as it is getting a little tiring going to motor vehicles constantly. Just make sure you buy them at a fair price that way you don’t lose anything or at least not enough to worry about. I do have one car now that I bought sight unseen and I know I will probably never be able to sell and break even but I really like the car and after a few years it won’t matter anymore. All the cars I buy are between $5,000 and $40,000 and most closer to the $20,000 so I don’t lose sleep over it. You can get a LOT of really good cars these days in the $8,000 to $15,000 even full classics. Enjoy the hobby its great fun, go buy that Nash or whatever you like it’s not the end of the world if you sell it in a year or two.

That's like asking us what women you should marry. How the Hell would we know? Go out and buy a driver you like and can afford. If you get tired of it or don't like it, sell it. It's not like it's going to end up with half of your 401K or collecting alimony..................................Bob

I recommend you go on as you are. You are getting the maximum fun and interest with minimal expense and heartache. If you buy a car I have a feeling it will be a big disappointment and a pain in the neck.

Again, similar to women. Often the fantasy is better than the reality.

Geigs, you mention being a regular attendee at Hershey, etc. are you involved in any clubs? Perhaps riding in or even getting behind the wheel of a couple of fellow club members (like AACA) vehicles would help you make up your mind.

Thanks for all the advice thus far; it's greatly appreciated. I think women are easier than cars. With cars, you have to rely on third party information, whereas with women, you can go right to the source. Plus, it's hard to know if the car likes you back. The general consensus seems to be that the purchase of a collectible car is completely irrational and therefore, one should buy based on emotion, not logic. Is that correct?

Geigs, you mention being a regular attendee at Hershey, etc. are you involved in any clubs? Perhaps riding in or even getting behind the wheel of a couple of fellow club members (like AACA) vehicles would help you make up your mind.

I was a member of the Cadillac/LaSalle Club for awhile. I do follow the boards on some car club sites just to get a feel of the culture. But that's a good idea. Thanks.

The general consensus seems to be that the purchase of a collectible car is completely irrational and therefore, one should buy based on emotion, not logic. Is that correct?

I think most will agree that OWNING a collectible car is a bit irrational since it can be expensive in both time and money. Deciding which car to buy is definitely emotion based but the purchase part should be where logic comes in. Do all the homework and research, check the car out top to bottom, and buy the best possible example you can afford. I am impressed with your restraint but if you want to have fun with cars you need to take the plunge and buy one. Work on it, enjoy it, sell it, buy the next one - I've had many in my life but my wish list is still miles long...

Thanks for all the advice thus far; it's greatly appreciated. I think women are easier than cars. With cars, you have to rely on third party information, whereas with women, you can go right to the source. Plus, it's hard to know if the car likes you back. The general consensus seems to be that the purchase of a collectible car is completely irrational and therefore, one should buy based on emotion, not logic. Is that correct?

That is putting it rather strong but you are not far wrong. Buying a collector car is irrational. It represents spending money for fun. It is not a practical decision.

So, you should get something you want and that means something to you. Buying a car because it is a good buy even though you don't like it, does not make much sense even though it is logical.

But you should not lose your head entirely. You need to consult your practical side as well if you want to buy a car you can afford, and can afford to keep up. You should buy the best car you can, as far as condition goes. And it should be a car you like and feel good owning.

Lot's of good advice - I guess I will echo TexRiv and state the obvious, enjoying from a distance is limiting your full enjoyment of the hobby. To Daytona's point, you can get into the hobby for less than $10K. If you spend time and money attending shows including Hershey, this seems like a strong interest for you.

One other quick thought. The fear of taking any sort of loss, especially at the entry end of the hobby, to me is what seems irrational. No one goes to the golf course and says "gee, I don't expect to lose a dime this season", same with boating, etc. etc. While not quite as active as Daytona, we have had 4 - 5 collector cars in the past 10 years, they come and go, I guess if pressed I would say we have had around 9 in 20 + years, losing on 3, breaking even (or losing to little to notice when you calculate everything..) on 3 or 4 and actually making a buck or two on a couple. It just worked out that way. A car is not a marriage - buy the best example you can afford of one of the ones that seem to interest you the most, and if you need to move on so be it.

Being an owner brings things to a new level, and your shorting yourself now, unless some financial, physical or other limitation is holding you back, which does not seem to be the case.

BTW - choosing one does not mean you cannot be interested in the others anymore! :)

Happy hunting!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Personally I try not to compare autos to women. If one broke down it would be devastating. I do agree with the desire or emotion that a particular auto might generate. That is usually the spark that ignites the collector. Unfortunately I have too many passionate attachments, (one cylinder, chain driven, A's&T's, high horse-power and speed). Now I am at the age where down-sizing might be the answer. In any case, research your choice to max. There are some very good suggestions in previous posts, and the most important is to enjoy and have fun.

Fun comments all, but you need to start somewhere..how much cash do you have?? Do you have a garage with room to work on it??

Do you know how to work on anything?? Do you have any tools??

Do you want to put it in an expensive trailer and haul it places to win little prizes to place on your mantle...or do you want to

get behind the wheel and operate it as a device to transport you places?? Do you want to go putt putt or zoom...

teens-20s putt putt..30s-40s can drive modern roads..50's through 80s are modern cars..can go anywhere.. Do you want an open car, or

a closed car...they are all fun.. Start with something you can fix, or you will be discouraged before you begin..Mopars can still be found, kinda homely

grandma cars with flatheads think Plymouth Cranbrook or Ford Falcon or 60's Newport ..start looking in your area, craigslist ...

Fun comments all, but you need to start somewhere..how much cash do you have?? Do you have a garage with room to work on it??

Do you know how to work on anything?? Do you have any tools??

Do you want to put it in an expensive trailer and haul it places to win little prizes to place on your mantle...or do you want to

get behind the wheel and operate it as a device to transport you places?? Do you want to go putt putt or zoom...

teens-20s putt putt..30s-40s can drive modern roads..50's through 80s are modern cars..can go anywhere.. Do you want an open car, or

a closed car...they are all fun.. Start with something you can fix, or you will be discouraged before you begin..Mopars can still be found, kinda homely

grandma cars with flatheads think Plymouth Cranbrook or Ford Falcon or 60's Newport ..start looking in your area, craigslist ...

I'd like to keep it under 12k. I have a garage 20x30. It would be a 3 car garage if it was a side load. I'm thinking of getting casters, so I can slide the car around, so two cars would be facing the garage door and the other would be against the wall in the back. I had a 65 Barracuda back in high school and when I would bring it in for service, they would send me home and tell me to do it, so I'm somewhat handy. As for tools, just the basics. I don't want a trailer queen. I'm looking for a car that I can take to cruise-ins, a Sunday drive, a drive-in movie, and maybe a weekend getaway. Most of the roads where I live are two lane 40-50 MPH with rolling hills. I seem to prefer cars from 1948-1961. Still debating the open car/closed car, but initially I was looking at sedans since I have three kids. And funny you should mention, I have looked at the Cranbrook and I have a friend who has a 64 Falcon convertible. I've really picked up the pace in my search over the last few weeks and have looked at everything from a 48 Studebaker Landcruiser to a 59 Lincoln Premiere. I really like the Independents and the also-rans. However, I'm concerned about parts and if there would be enough community involvement. Since you mentioned Craigslist, do you have a preferI'd like to keep it under 12k. I have a garage 20x30. It would be a 3 car garage if it was a side load. I'm thinking of getting casters, so I can slide the car around, so two would be facing the garage door and the other would be against the wall in the back. I had a 65 Barracuda back in high school and when I would bring it in for service; they would send me home and tell me to do it, so I'm somewhat handy. As for tools, just the basics. I don't want a trailer queen. I'm looking for a car that I can take to cruise-ins, a Sunday drive, a drive-in movie, and maybe a weekend getaway. Most of the roads where I live are two lane 40-50 MPH with rolling hills. I seem to prefer cars from 1948-1961. Still debating the open car/closed car, but initially I was looking at sedans since I have three kids. And funny you should mention, I have looked at the Cranbrook and I have a friend who has a 64 Falcon convertible. I've really picked up the pace in my search over the last few weeks and have looked at everything from a 48 Studebaker Landcruiser to a 59 Lincoln Premiere. I really like the Independents and the also-rans. However, I'm concerned about parts and if there would be enough community involvement. Since you mentioned Craigslist, do you have a preference between a classic car dealer or a private sale? Thank you.

Thanks all again. Everyone's advice has been really helpful and as far as I'm concerned you all have skin in the game now. I plan to make Hershey my last stand. If I don't buy something before then, I'll find something at car corral to bring home. Once again, really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

.................. Since you mentioned Craigslist, do you have a preference between a classic car dealer or a private sale? Thank you.

I would suggest you seriously consider joining the AACA, and a local region. I read many newsletters each month and can tell you that there are a lot of nice antique drivers for a lot less than $12,000. I've seen the Falcon type cars you speak of priced from $3000- 6000.00. A good starting point for a new antique owner. Simple to fix, parts right at a local parts store. Wayne

For me, it's the hunt. Once I get something, I always question why I bought what I did. Doesn't matter if it's old or new - I bought a new Taurus last year and am already thinking about what I'm going to do when the lease expires in 2 years. It took my 9 months to settle on the Taurus. If I'd had the means, I would still have every car I ever had so in 30 years when I'm too old to drive, I could have had an auction like the Lambrecht cars. I could come back from Hershey with half a dozen cars every year. But, when you see the right old car, you'll know it.

For me, it's the hunt. Once I get something, I always question why I bought what I did. Doesn't matter if it's old or new - I bought a new Taurus last year and am already thinking about what I'm going to do when the lease expires in 2 years. It took my 9 months to settle on the Taurus. If I'd had the means, I would still have every car I ever had so in 30 years when I'm too old to drive, I could have had an auction like the Lambrecht cars. I could come back from Hershey with half a dozen cars every year. But, when you see the right old car, you'll know it.

You and I are the same. We are maximizers. Maximizers will settle for nothing but the best. They endlessly research options and often second-guess the choices they make. The problem with being a maximizer is that there is always a potentially better option that exists, and thinking about these other possibilities can be frustrating and nonproductive.

I would suggest you seriously consider joining the AACA, and a local region. I read many newsletters each month and can tell you that there are a lot of nice antique drivers for a lot less than $12,000. I've seen the Falcon type cars you speak of priced from $3000- 6000.00. A good starting point for a new antique owner. Simple to fix, parts right at a local parts store. Wayne

Thanks. Excellent idea. I'm joining tomorrow.

• 11 months later...

Update: I finally bought a collectible car! On July 20, 2014, I purchased a 1956 Studebaker President Classic with just 42,500. Per your advice, I joined the Studebaker Driver's Club at the beginning of the year as well as the regional chapter. They helped me track down this car. I also just joined the AACA and am joining the Sugarloaf Region AACA chapter. I always post a conclusion, so thanks to all for going along on the ride. post-49891-143142671293_thumb.jpgalbum.php?albumid=542

post-49891-14314267129_thumb.jpg

Excellent choice! When you said you had a soft spot for independents I had a feeling you might end up with a Studebaker. Nice looking, low miles car that isn't very common ( a plus in my book). I know SDC is a good club too. I imagine mechanical parts won't be too difficult to find since Studebaker didn't make too many different engine models. Good luck with it!

You and I are the same. We are maximizers. Maximizers will settle for nothing but the best. They endlessly research options and often second-guess the choices they make. The problem with being a maximizer is that there is always a potentially better option that exists, and thinking about these other possibilities can be frustrating and nonproductive.

I'm in this group. I research and shop so hard I often end up not even buying anything I was looking for. I guess that's not always a bad thing. I can't be sold anything. I will not listen. That can be a problem also. I will buy what I want when I want, and that never changes.

I really like that Studebaker. Looks like a great car!

Update: I finally bought a collectible car! On July 20, 2014, I purchased a 1956 Studebaker President Classic with just 42,500. Per your advice, I joined the Studebaker Driver's Club at the beginning of the year as well as the regional chapter. They helped me track down this car. I also just joined the AACA and am joining the Sugarloaf Region AACA chapter. I always post a conclusion, so thanks to all for going along on the ride. [ATTACH=CONFIG]264172[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]264173[/ATTACH]album.php?albumid=542

Let's see, you started this thread on August 25, 2013 asking for advice and input, but you bought the car on July 20, 2014. I guess you really did take us along for a ride.

Nicely done,

Grog

Edited by West Peterson
corrected date (see edit history)

Sign up for a couple of AACA Tours. You can stick your thumb in the air and take a seat in many different cars and be a passenger for a few days or a week. You can switch off and ride with someone different every day of the event if you wish. We're always eager to give rides and sometimes people need navigators. Experience touring and riding in some different cars form the era you are most in love with and you'll gain a lot more knowledge and experience with particular cars. Whether it's MGs or Model Ts there is plenty of choice. Stop and see us at Hershey and let us know how you are doing. Keep an eye out for the annual list olf who is where that comes out every year just before the big event. See you there!

Terry