Antique car plates...your state

I just came away from a meeting with our state department of transportation. Please help me if your state makes it easy to get license plates for collector vehciles that are driven, original or unrestored. I need to see the wording of their legislation. Thanks, please send the information directly to me at aaca1@aaca.org Thanks for your help.

Steve, Texas allows year of manufactur plates if they inspect and approve them. I had only one Texas plate for my '39, and I was nervous about them requiring a front plate as well. However, they said two plates were not required in '39(?), so it was approved.:)

John V.

Steve, don't know about Hawaii yet, but just moved here from Alabama which is EXTREMELY easy on almost any kind of plate. The county we lived in was Lauderdale, don't know if that makes a difference or not. When we lived in Tennessee, it too was very easy, so you might look at them, good luck, John

Thanks guys, to be clear, this is not about YOM plates. It is about the procedure and the qualifiers to get an antique plate. I need to see how other states actually make the determination to allow you to have a plate. PA has a restriction that does not give the DOT much leeway in making the right decision. Very difficult for an unrestored car to get plates or even some cars that are just used for touring.

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

It has been several years since I applied for them and put them on the car. But Illinois simply required proof the car was insured as an antique, not as a daily driver, and you had to sign a clause stating that the car would only be driven to shows, in parades, and to a repair facility. No actual inspection of the car was done.

.......But Illinois simply required proof the car was insured as an antique, not as a daily driver, and you had to sign a clause stating that the car would only be driven to shows, in parades, and to a repair facility. No actual inspection of the car was done.

Virginia is similar. I just turned our '86 Chevy wagon's plates in on an antique plate 3 weeks ago. I had to sign a waver that proved that I had another regular licensed daily driver. (They researched it on their computer while I was there.) I also signed a proof of insurance. They gave me a 60 day temp. plate until the yellow and blue permanent plate arrives in my mailbox.

No more safety inspection for this car for the rest of its life. We bought it about 5 years ago. We have since rolled the odometer up to 68,000 miles on it now.

It's still a great driver!

I can send a link to the Virginia law if you need it, Steve.

Wayne

Steve,

I see Susan responded to you concerning WV. Not sure what the actual law here states but it was simple all 3 times to get an antique tag. No more state inspections and the tag is good for 5 years. There are requirements on driving the cars but most of my miles were chalked up driving the cars to and from inspection stations. There was no verification or proof needed.

Sort of part of the process to become registered and obtain vintage vehicle license plates -

I can look later to see about finding a link, few years back I remember reading how a Pennsylvania owner of a vintage fire truck was having problems being approved for vintage plates.

The reason? It hard markings indicating the original department. Supposedly Penna law states a vehicle with vintage plates cannot carry any wording(?)

When Transfer the Packard from California plates to Washington State plates. No problem showed the girl the Washington plates, I had a pair. but they have another form that allows one to request a single rear plate now. too.

There are driving restriction, like driving to the coffee shop everyday probably would get the plates pulled, and for sure if you the vehicle for computing the plates are pulled. their life plates one time charge it was about $115, but that include transferring into the state. I already the California pink slip, so it was walk through not inspections.

In Kentucky there are no smog tests or inspections of any kind. Antique plates never expire and have an annual "property tax" of approx. 68 cents. I've owned at least a dozen cars with antique plates since I moved here in 1998 and I drive them whenever I feel like it and have never been pulled over or hassled by the police. My daily driver is an '86 Buick which has antique plates on it and my '61 Merc obviously has antique plates on it too. When you get the plates they assume that all old cars have a value of $100 so you pay $6 tax plus the fee for the plates. It doesn't make any difference if you paid $100K or $500 for the car-they value it at $100 for licensing purposes. I lived in California from 1977-98 and owned a few antique cars there and this is obviously a MUCH better system than theirs. I don't know where the regulations are for antique plates in Kentucky or I would post a link to them here....

Steve we in Ca. have two kinds of plates for that purpose, Antique and historical plates. I have historical. Funny note; rods and custom's can get these plates too.

D.

I do have to say MD was looking to change the easy requirements for historical tags because some people started pulling old clunkers out of the grass and got tags with no inspection. Cheap insurance and one time cheap registration fee. These cars are unsafe daily drivers. In short, the system is abused once again. These days I see the same pile of worn parts rattling to work with historic tags.

For New York, this is the info from the DMV website:

Historical Plates and Vintage Plates

What is a historical vehicle or a vintage vehicle?

A historical vehicle is a vehicle that is more than 25 years old. A vehicle qualifies for a historical registration when it begins the 26th model year. For example, a 1978 model vehicle qualifies for historical registration in 2004.

Some vehicles that are less than 25 years old and have unique characteristics can qualify for a historical registration. The DMV determines if the vehicle has historical, classic or exhibit value.

A vintage vehicle is a historical vehicle and receives a historical registration. The registrant of a vintage vehicle can put vintage plates on the vehicle. Vintage plates are authentic NYS vehicle plates that were issued during the model year of the vehicle. More information about vintage plates appears below.

What are historical plates?

Standard series historical plates for passenger or commercial vehicles display either:

a five-digit number followed by the letters HX (for example, 99999HX), or

the letters HX followed by a five-digit number (for example, HX22222).

Standard series historical motorcycle plates display the letters HM followed by three numbers.

Personalized Historical plates for any historical vehicle or historical motorcycle are now available. For an additional fee, registrants can order personalized letter/number combinations of up to eight characters (includes spaces and/or a silhouette of New York State) or 6 characters/spaces (no state silhouette available) for a motorcycle. Personalized Historical plates have the word "HISTORICAL" along the bottom of the plate.

You can order standard series or personalized historical plates using form MV-440H (Historical License Plates).

What are vintage plates?

Vintage plates are the authentic vehicle plates that were issued in NYS during the model year of the vehicle. You can put vintage plates on a historical vehicle instead of historical plates. For example, you can use a set of authentic vehicle plates that the DMV issued in 1963 on a vehicle of model year 1963. You must provide a full set of original vintage plates. The DMV cannot issue a registration for vehicle plates that are copies or that are painted again. Vintage plates issued in the model year of 1972 and earlier must display the embossed year or have the original metal tab for that year. Make sure that the tab is attached and legible. A sticker that indicates the model year is not required to use the vintage plates. Vintage plates issued in the model year of 1973 and later do not have metal tabs or plate stickers.

How do I get vintage plates?

You can buy vintage plates from a local source like an automobile collector, an antique dealer, or a flea market. Make sure that the vintage plates are authentic. Newer copies are not acceptable for a vintage registration. Before you purchase a vintage plate, contact the Custom Plates Unit at 518-402-4839 to verify that the number on the plate is available for your vintage plate registration.

Is a historical registration different from a standard registration?

Yes. You cannot use a historical vehicle for daily transportation. An automobile collector normally registers a historical vehicle or a vintage vehicle to use it for exhibits, club activities, tours, and parades.

How do I get a historical registration or a vintage registration for a vehicle?

To apply for historical plates, you must sign the Owner's Certification Statement on form MV-440H (Historical License Plates). Form MV-440H includes the instructions to apply for a historical registration. You must complete form MV-82 (Application for Registration/Title). Bring form MV-440H, form MV-82, and all other required documents listed on form MV-440H to a DMV office.

To apply for vintage plates, you must sign the Owner's Certification Statement on form MV-440V (Vintage License Plates). Form MV-440V includes the instructions to apply for vintage plates. You must complete form MV-82 (Application for Registration/Title).

Send these items to the Custom Plates Unit at the address shown on form MV-440V:

form MV-440V and form MV-82,

all other required documents listed on form MV-440V, and

a personal check or a money order payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles" in the amount of the fee shown on form MV-440V.

You can call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838. The office hours are 8:00 - 4:00, Monday - Friday.

Is a historical registration or a vintage registration valid for one year or for two years?

Historical registrations and vintage registrations are valid for one year.

Is special insurance required for a historical registration?

Yes. Contact your insurance company to get information about insurance for a historical vehicle or a vintage vehicle.

The insurance identification card that is issued to you must display the word "HISTORICAL" to indicate the type of insurance coverage that is provided. "Antique" and "classic" are not acceptable words.

Can the DMV reissue vintage plates to another registrant?

If a historical registration expires, the DMV can reissue the historical plates or transfer them as original historical plates.

If the vintage plates are currently registered to a vehicle:

The current registrant brings the vintage plates to a local DMV office. The DMV indicates on the registration record that the vehicle plates are stored. (The DMV office does not store vintage plates. The record indicates this status for insurance purposes and to complete the transfer.)

The office then issues a receipt (form FS-6T). Keep the receipt. Give the vintage plates to the new registrant.

After the registration record indicates that the vintage plates are stored, the current registrant provides the following items to the Custom Plates Unit:

A letter that states that the current registrant transfers all rights related to the vintage plates to the new registrant. The statement must include the name of the new registrant.

A photocopy of the driver license of the current registrant who transfers the rights.

A photocopy of the vehicle registration of the new registrant who will receive the rights to the vintage plates.

The transfer fee.

If the current registrant of the vintage plate is deceased, and there is an Executor or Administrator of the Estate, the new registrant must provide:

a copy of the death certificate,

a letter from the Executor or Administrator that authorizes the transfer of the vintage plates,

the proofs of identity and date of birth of the Executor or Administrator, and

a copy of the Letters Testamentary or Letters of Administration.

The Custom Plates Unit then issues the registration documents and form MV-404 to the new registrant. The new registrant puts the vintage plates and the registration sticker on the vehicle. The new registrant can destroy the old vehicle plates.

If I remove a vehicle from the road, can I keep the historical plates or vintage plates?

You can store historical plates at a DMV office. Most offices can store vehicle plates. The DMV office gives you a receipt (form FS-6T) when you surrender your vehicle plates. Verify the information listed on the receipt, and make sure that the receipt states, "Stored at Local Office". Keep the receipt.

DMV offices do not store vintage plates. The DMV indicates on the registration record that the vehicle plates are stored.

Note: The policy to store vehicle plates is different in each office. Ask your local DMV office about the storage policy in that office.

You can register the vehicle again or use your stored vehicle plates to register another vehicle. Go to the office that has your vehicle plates. Make sure that you bring the receipt (form FS-6T) and the other documents required to register your vehicle.

In NY you have to show the DMV a photo or the actual plates to have the plates OK'd. Then the check to see if the number is in use or not. Pretty simple. I think the law also states that they cannot be home made or even restored or repainted.

Frank

This pdf is from the State of Minnesota.

Hope it helps.

We have several different classifications of collector plates.

Pioneer.

May be displayed on any motor vehicle (except recreational) manufactured prior to 1936.

Collector.

May be displayed on any motor vehicle (except recreational) that is at least 20 model years old and manufactured after 1935.

At the time of application, owners must certify that they have one or more vehicles registered with regular Minnesota license plates.

Street Rod.

May be displayed on any modernized motor vehicle manufactured prior to the year 1949 or any motor vehicle designed and manufactured to resemble a motor vehicle manufactured prior to 1949.

At the time of application, owners must certify that they have one or more vehicles registered with regular Minnesota license plates

Classic Car.

May be displayed on any motor vehicle manufactured between and including the years 1925-1948, designated as a classic car under Minnesota Statutes, section 168.10 subdivision 1b, excluding any type of commercial or recreational vehicle.

mn.gov_statutes_id_168.pdf

As mentioned, Virginia requires that you state that you have another, "regular" licensed car, to drive.

A couple of years ago, the DMV sent owners of registered antique cars a form to fill out, stating that you had another car registered in Virginia as a regular driver.

Now, that's irony. All they had to do was look in their computer, who else has better records of what you have registered than the DMV?

There are still a LOT of vehicles out there with Virginia antique tags, being used daily for transportation. One sees numerous early pickup trucks being used this way ('60's and '70's).

I agree, think I'll start kickin' plates and takin' names!!!! It really does aggravate one, to try to follow the rules, then see the same truch over and over at Lowe's picking up building supplies...........

Yes I have had issues with registering an Antique car in PA.

I bought a 1962 Triumph TR4 around 3 years ago to do a ground up restoration on. The car was mostly in original conditions and a perfect candidate for HPOF class, except for slightly faded paint that could have been polished back to great condition. The only blemish was two paint touchups on the right door approximately 2 x 6 inches that had faded slightly or had not been matched correctly.

When you register a used car in PA you must bring photos of the left and right sides along with the front and back. When I took the title to PennDOT to transfer ownership and get an Antique plate the woman looked at the photos and told me the car did not qualify for Antique plates due to the two spots on the door.

It didn't really bother me since I was planning on doing a ground up restoration on the car and will get the Antique plates when finished, but it will end up costing me another registration fee to get the Antique plates.

I always wondered what people do that buy a car and what to register it with Antique plated to drive as an HPOF.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Guest Mochet

PennDOT requires the vehicle to be "maintained in or restored to a condition, which is substantially in conformance with manufacturer specifications" (quote from their literature). They can interpret that as "like new" with no marks or defects. In fact, I was told by a local title agency that my HPOF car must look like "the day it left the factory." I think they need better wording in the regulations to allow for normal age and wear.

Phil

PA RESIDENTS...ALERT!

NEWS ALERT: THE BILL IS BEING HEARD TOMORROW BARRING ANY LAST MINUTE COMPLICATIONS! I BELIEVE AROUND 11 TO 12! IT DOES NOT HAVE ANY AMENDMENTS TACKED ON SO IT SHOULD PASS!

REP. JOHN LAWRENCE DESERVES A HUGE PAT ON THE BACK IF THIS PASSES. MORE ISSUES ARE BEING WORKED ON TO HELP ANTIQUE CAR OWNERS IN THIS STATE SO STAY TUNED AND DO SOME PRAYING TONIGHT!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

This thread has gotten a little off topic so I am adding this info here as well. PA may finally have YOM plates! Trying to find some real wood to knock on right now. Keep your fingers crossed people.

With reference to my previous posting, I sent this photo to Steve Moskowitz via email but thought others may be interested in what my TR4 looked like when I bought it.

Note the 2 spots on the door that were cause for rejection for Antique plates.

This is the first time I have tried to attach a photo, so if it doesn't show up my error.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

post-64108-143138905933_thumb.jpg

Maine is very easy, too. All I had to do was go into my town office with the bill of sale - (no titles after 15 years) - and tell the clerk I wanted antique plates. Needed proof of insurance and had to sign a form that I would not use the car as daily transportation. I believe Maine law says that you are limited to shows, exhibitions, parades and occasional use. Have to pay the normal "excise" tax based on the original price of the car and $10 for the plates and annual renewal. It cost me $33.44 to register my 72 LTD and it's about $36.00 for my 71 Buick. Vehicles are exempt from annual safety inspections and any emissions testing - which is not really required here.

I do see cars on the road at all times of the year with antique plates - so obviously, there are peope that abuse the law. I use my cars occasionally for errands or to go on trips and have only been stopped once because there was no visible inspection sticker on the windshield. However, the cop apologized to me because he said he didn't see the antique plate until after he stopped me. I have been folllowed a couple of other times - I think because the cop didn't see a shoulder harness and assumed I didn't have a seat belt on - which I did, I just don't use the harnesses because they are not on retractors.

Oh, forgot - as far as YOM is concerned, I can use any old Maine plate from the appropriate year on an antique registration that I want. It does not have to be checked or approved by DOT. I have always kept my old plates and use the plate issued to me on my then new '72 Gran Torino on my LTD. Just have to keep my current plate in the car.

Edited by John_Maine (see edit history)

Ohio is great when it comes to hisorical plates. $30 for 50 years! You are supposed to only use the vehicle for parades, shows, and mechanical resons, but I do occasionally use mine for a trip to work or the ice cream shop. I don't by any means feel guilty for driving either vehicle. I have had a 1972 Chevy truck for the last 12 years and still haven't managed to get over 5000 miles on it yet. If I'm ever stopped I think it would be obvious to the officer that I don't use it as a daily driver. However my area is somewhat country-ish. Not a lot of traffic like cinci. or columbus so I doubt that I'll get pulled over.

Darren

Virginia's antique car registration legistation is really quite liberal, in that it permits occasional pleasure use within 250 miles of home. I am paraphrasing, but that's the gist, if it's not verbatim. "Pleasure use" is not otherwise defined. Sooo, lets say a pickup with antique plates shows up at the building supply to purchase lumber for junior's new play house. Is that in itself prima facie evidence of a violation? Around northern Va. there is so much emphasis on sure-thing revenue getters such as ticketing speed violatiors that there is perhaps some indifference to observed but possibly questionable use of an antique vehicle. And after a full day of looking at pea-in-a-pod modern cars, it could be that sight of an antique is eye candy to the enforcers.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

Tennessee is super easy - just VERY limited in usage

To qualify for antique plates, a vehicle must:

• Be over 25 years old

• Have a body and engine unaltered from its original specifications

• Be used for antique exhibitions, parades, and other related activities; it may only be used for general transportation on weekends

Only the vehicle owner may apply for the plates. The plates have a one-time fee of $26.75 (plus wheel tax where applicable) and are permanent as long as there isn't a change in ownership.

Bob