Has Anyone Here Gotten an Earl Scheib Paint Job?

Harold

For many years, Earl Scheib was a synonymous with quick and cheap paint jobs.

They went out of business suddenly this past July, leaving many customers with worthless extended warranties and unresolved body and paint issues.

I remember seeing many cars years ago wearing funky-color paint jobs that obviously came from Earl. I personally never had a car painted there, but know several people who did, with results ranging from fairly good to completely horrible.

Have any of you had cars painted by Earl Scheib? If so, what were your experiences?

Guest Jim_Edwards

Uh NO! If they had been in the paint and body business I would have rather had the Three Stooges paint a car!

Thank goodness Earl Scheib went out of business on July 10th of this year. But of course there are other equally crappy chain paint and body shops that will take up the slack. :D

Jim

Detroit cabs were favorite wearers of an "Uncle Earl" (as we referred to him) "paint job". For $29.95 the paint jobs were more like the effects of some lunatic with a spray gun. They would paint hubcaps, bumpers and almost everything except the tires. Sometimes, even the tires would come out painted. One thing we found out as kids....if you took a car to them with either the trim removed or taped over, you could ALMOST get a fair paint job from the place. My dad had a beautiful 1964 Dodge Custom 880 convertible that he got from a fellow Chrysler executive. It was cream colored and very nice. For some reason, my dad got it painted (by Scheib) an almost "olive" green color. Looked great for a while, but he never waxed it and it came out to be a flat green color! Yech! Seems to me the paint looked good because my dad and my cousin taped off all of the trim and windows.

Scheib had a shop in Richmond and Scheib or a competitor that I can't recall the name of had a shop in Roanoke. Story I heard matches what is said here; if you did the prep and taping it wasn't so bad but.......Okay, you get the drift.

Maaco was the competitor in San Diego. Years ago a buddy of mine had his 1931 Dodge coupe in a Maaco commercial. There was this hillbilly painter and he was standing in front of the coupe which had a hound dog draped over the front fender. The guy was saying something to the effect of "Yours is the red and white jobby...riiiight??".

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Tell ya what-- Walk into any auto paint store that sells nation brands such as PPG, DuPont, Glasserit, Spies-Hecker, Sherwin Williams... Ask them to price out a complete set of supplies needed to paint a real car...

You will need primers, sealers, aper, tape, thinners, base coats of you color, clear coats and then to get it right polishing supplies so you can color-sand and buff.

If it is a metalllic, add more money, if reds, more money....

Before you walk out the door with the BASIC materials, you will have far exceded the total cost of one of the quickie paint shops...

Now if you start sanding, prep work, remove all trim, pull the doors, hood, trunk and maybe even fenders so you can get the jambs done correctly, then get it all back together with new hardware, rubber seals, window felts.... Now guess what--- 4 to 6 hundred hours.

Had an old Jeep CJ5 painted by Earl over by Harrisburg. You got what you paid for with Earl which is exactly what I wanted for the old Jeep. Fresh paint and they even taped off the bumpers (after they asked if I wanted them painted). I had no complaint, but then again all I wanted was a fresh coat of paint thrown on cheaply.

Guest Oldengineer

My son and I had an old VW Beetle painted by them a few years ago - so we could sell it. We prepped it as best we could and drove it to the place. They didn't even wash the car before they painted it. Well, from 25 feet away, the car looked fairly good. Anyway - we had no problem selling it - bugs in the paint and all.

Oldengineer

Guest Silverghost

My Father had his 1953 DeSoto Powermaster painted at Earl's place in 1963 or so.

The cost was $19.95 for a full paint job then...

Earl made his really BIG $$$ Money on any extras like sanding & prep work , bodywork and extra masking !

The better higher quality paint and colors cost more also !

They also tried to sell you a Two-Tone Color paintjob whih was popular back then !

More money for Two-Tone Color job also !

Earl also charged more for his warranty !

The low $19.95 price was really just a "Come_On" designed to just bring you into the shop~

Then the real selling fun began !

When you arrived at any of Earl's shops the salesman then started to work on you to get you to spring for all the extras !

Some of his colors were strange and bright but they covered well in one very thin & very fast coat.

They used enamel !

I never saw any buffing or rubbing-out after painting.

I remember Dad spending the better part of two wekends wih a razor blade and fine steel wool & thinner cleaning up all the extra overspray !

He stated at that time that he wished he had sprung for the extra masking !

The paintjob did hold up fairly well~~~~ considering!

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

....if you did the prep and taping it wasn't so bad but.......Okay, you get the drift.

Maybe. I had one car painted by Earl Schieb that you could tell was done not far from someone using a sander. There was sand embedded in the paint.

On the other hand I had my Falcon painted by Maaco, after doing all of the prep and stripping the trim myself. They were so happy to get something antique to paint that they went ahead and did more work than I paid for, and I had a very nearly show quality paint job on a driver for less than $100 (20 years ago). I sent them a lot of work afterward.:)

I was told Maaco was started by Aamco transmissions, just move the "M" to the front.

That's correct. The founder's name was Anthony A. Marino and he used his initials to name both businesses. In later years, he started the Goddard School for kids.

Local guy had a one of a kind early '20's car painted by MAACO a few years ago. They painted it with the hood and rumble seat on the car and closed. It looked like it had been painted by a blind guy on a windy night in a barn with a broom and they applied so much paint that it was a chore even getting the rumble lid unstuck. The owner elected to change the color so the inside of the hood etc was still white while the exterior was dark blue. By the time all was said and done the job cost over 2 grand. Ironically the car was purchased and restored and made an appearance at Pebble Beach last year. I suppose Maaco can now advertise that they painted a Pebble Beach car.

I had my first car (1964 Valiant) painted by Earl Scheib back in the early 70s for what was probably the $29.95 job. Other than picking up a bug in the paint on the hood I was pretty happy with the job. Wish I still had that car, but unfortunately inexperience and a guard rail insured no one would drive that car again.

I bought a car ~ 4 years ago that had the "deluxe" Earl paint (OEM color).

It was a 1970 Mustang coupe:

70must.jpg

there was very little overspray, but the amount paid (per the receipt) was ~ $1600

The people that looked at it marveled over how NICE the paint was and one person (supposedly a Mustang restoration expert and flipper) commented on how easy it was to tell the difference between a "good" paint job and one form Earl ... I had to bite my tongue ...

the truly bad ones I remember were from the Detroit area in the 60's & 70's as well and they were always a color not found in nature, Earl green, blue, etc the odd / ugly colors gave away the source ...

the nick-name we gave him was Earl the pearl

I bought a car ~ 4 years ago that had the "deluxe" Earl paint (OEM color).

It was a 1970 Mustang coupe:

70must.jpg

there was very little overspray, but the amount paid (per the receipt) was ~ $1600

The people that looked at it marveled over how NICE the paint was and one person (supposedly a Mustang restoration expert and flipper) commented on how easy it was to tell the difference between a "good" paint job and one form Earl ... I had to bite my tongue ...

the truly bad ones I remember were from the Detroit area in the 60's & 70's as well and they were always a color not found in nature, Earl green, blue, etc the odd / ugly colors gave away the source ...

the nick-name we gave him was Earl the pearl

That Mustang is the exact color that my dad had his Custom 880 painted!

1/2 hour sanding, 1/2 masking, 1/2 hour in the paint booth and the car was done. They manufactured their own paints. They did a quick clean of the paint booth once a week if you were lucky, and not on a schedule other than when nothing was going into the booth. The paint baker was usually open to the shop air, some shops got one that was enclosed and in line from the paint booth to keep the shop dust off the car. Peeling clearcoat was a real challenge for them to keep from showing through the new paint even with a charge for 'extra prep'. Shine was also extra cost in the last few years when they went to clearcoat paints.

They were basically just a place to go and get some color on a car in order to sell it.

The quality of the job on our 1956 Buick was consistent with the price at the time, low. Would have been a better job had they rolled the windows up and not gotten overspray on the seat backs!

That being said, I knew a guy that got a pretty nice job there. He did all the prep himself including sanding and masking and they just shot it.

Never had a Scheib job, but have had Peach and Maaco jobs done. I think a lot of it has to do with the individual franchise owner. The Maaco here gets their supplies from the same supply house the "legitimate professional" shops do, and most work I've seen from them looks pretty good. Just sometimes dark colors come out looking "heavy" as in too much paint applied.

Last paint job I had done was by a high school auto body class. I need to make friends with another high-school boy taking auto body, so the wagon can get a new suit. The one who painted the car in 2000 works with me at the powerplant now and hasn't picked up a paint gun in 7 years.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Never had a Scheib job, but have had Peach and Maaco jobs done. I think a lot of it has to do with the individual franchise owner. The Maaco here gets their supplies from the same supply house the "legitimate professional" shops do, and most work I've seen from them looks pretty good. Just sometimes dark colors come out looking "heavy" as in too much paint applied.

Last paint job I had done was by a high school auto body class. I need to make friends with another high-school boy taking auto body, so the wagon can get a new suit. The one who painted the car in 2000 works with me at the powerplant now and hasn't picked up a paint gun in 7 years.

Are there any High Schools left with vocational education programs? I can't think of a single one anywhere near where I am. Kids not wanting to go to college or are not ready to go to college are being screwed right and left! I remember when if you wanted a decent paint job cheap you could get it done as a high school project. The only problem was you never knew when you were going to get the car back because if the instructor didn't like what he saw he'd make them sand it down and do it again. It was good training for the kids, but a bit short in the "customer satisfaction department" so to speak. :D

Jim

Are there any High Schools left with vocational education programs? I can't think of a single one anywhere near where I am.

Jim

Our area is lucky to still have a Vo-Tec school, and they do heavy body work before painting the vehicles. A really good experience for young people.

Wayne

Guest Skyking

In 1974 I had my 64 Malibu SS convertible painted by Earl Scheib. I think back then it was $29.95. I did all the prep work and de-chromed the car. I spoke with the guy who was shooting the cars the day I brought mine in. I gave him a $10 tip and he did a fantastic job.

Later in the 80's I had a 72 AMC Hornet painted, and again I did all the prep work and took most of the chrome and parts that I didn't want painted off. That morning I saw the painter and gave him $10 and that car came out great. The Hornet cost $49.95.

To think, today,if you do your car yourself what it cost just for sand paper, tape and rags, more than $50.............:eek::eek:

In 1969 I smacked-up my mother's 1967 Delmont 88 after skidding on the ice. I did the bodywork and installed a re-chromed bumper. I sanded the car and taped it myself. I was so glad to see the original color go. It was canary yellow with a white painted top and a baby-puke green interior. There wasn't even a piece of trim covering the paint line between the roof and body. It was hard enough getting a date. That didn't help.

I took the car to Earl Scheibs ready to paint, once the windows, grill and bumper were covered. They shot it and put it in the oven while I waited. I had it painted a green that was similar to the interior. It was a huge improvement. The body work turned out good and I was pleased.

I spent about an hour untaping the car after it came out of the oven. I drove it back to my folks house, proud of what I had done. Erasing one's mistake is uplifting. I tilted the seat back, turned up the stereo and cruised home.

To increase my one-armed farmer-tan I stuck my arm out the window just far enough where I could still steer with my left hand, and look cool in the process. I rode the several miles home with my arm that way. As I turned into my parent's driveway I felt a severe pain in the fleshy underpart of my right bicep. Apparently, the paint wasn't exactly dry and my arm stuck to it.

I manned up and gave it a quick yank, which still brings tears to my eyes, just thinking about it.

Guest steve k

i had two cars done by our local e.s. in 2001. i did all the prep and trim removal. that took about a full day or so for each. 1958 edsel and 1952 buick. i did upgrade to the 2nd tier of colors. each car was 2-toned. cost about $500 each. turned out quite nice.

most old cars will never be show cars or real valueable. amount spent was appropriate for the vehicles. pleasant old driver cars.

Too bad I was not a little closer, might try you. At least I would know when it was noon so I could shoot my pictures.

I'd even use as part time, Bill. At least we have repeat customers, some as long as 30+ years.

Never had a Scheib paint job, but did get a ghosting of red paint of my Chevy interior when we put a burgundy paint job on an '80 wagon. Hey, and it's windows were winded up tight. :eek::)

W.

Guest Gary Hearn
I'm having the same problems with adults, Jeff. It's very depressing. In my case, you train them for 2 weeks, they work for two weeks, then leave. It aggravates the dickens out of me. Wayne

Wayne,

You are just a short trip down 360, anything this unemployed guy can help you with? Very little kid left in me and as a bonus I know how to spell and deal with customers.

Never had a car painted by Earl while they were here in Richmond. I never saw a need to when I could do the same thing at home with a $28 can of Rust-Oleum Safety Red and a roller!

Before:

Tremclad001.jpg

After:

Tremclad022.jpg

Before we were in business I painted my wife's VW Station Wagon outside on a perfectly still Spring afternoon. The red acrylic enamel flowed out beautifully and I was well satisfied with the job. Unfortunately I had not thought about the maple trees in the area that decided to release their pollen that evening before the old style enamel was entirely cured. Next morning the VW had a beautiful coating of yellow/green pollen on almost every surface, thick enough that the car looked like it had been flocked. The second paint job did not turn out near as nice as the first but at least the car wasn't fuzzy.

The city high school and those in the three surrounding counties all still have Vo-Tech training, and all offer both auto mechanics and auto body courses. Pittsylvania has a big centrally located Vo-Tech high school that vocational students from all four county high schools attend. They trouble there is that the auto body program stays backed up and always has a waiting list for paint work.

If vo-tech is a dumping ground for "kids who couldn't make it", the school system itself probably needs some changes at the top. I went to a high school where the head of the guidance department could not have cared less about a student who wasn't headed to a big-name four year school. Once she retired and got out of the way, the new head of guidance made vocational training a priority and that high school has since consistently produced state vo-tech competition winners.

Did the high school kids produce a show quality paint job on the wagon? No, but it was a pretty good preservation job, and it looked like a well-maintained daily driver.