WHATEVER HAPPENED TO 1935 AUBURN

Does anyone know what happened to the 35 Auburn that was for sale, (year i think was a 35), it was a cabrolet, yellow, was out in the Seattle, Oregon area, pics were with it setting under a roof, wheels in the dirt, and the guy was asking for bids of it, anyone know, i am just curious cause never heard what happened to it.  Was for sale on this forum within a year ago.

• Like 1

I spoke with Chris a couple of months ago. The car is still there .  The family thinks it is worth more than the best offers.  The car is a very short distance from the ocean, on a quiet evening you can hear it rust.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I believe it was in the Olympia area.

Not near the ocean, (100 miles maybe)  but very near the southern end of Puget Sound.

I know a guy that went and looked at the car.  That is the description he gave me.  

All old cars are worth much more than you can get for them....... point of view, buying and selling, and a meeting of the minds. Sometimes people are out of their minds........on both sides!

• Like 2

You didn't need to see the location to see the oxidation and rust from moisture.  I could care less where it is (though obviously the Desert would be a more ideal location to preserve a car, though a properly stored car can exist in fine shape even close to the ocean.  It all boils down to how it is stored).  The photos didn't lie that it was in damp storage. 

Usually, in the end, this type of car and owner end up (1) keeping the car until after they die and their family get a whole lot less than the best offer, or (2) they run out of patience waiting for the right "rich guy" to come along, breathless, and get a lot less than the best offer they had years before.  The longer it sits there rusting, the less it'll be worth in the end.  I knew such a lady (widow) once who never got a penny and died with the cars, and the children sold them for pennies on the dollar.  She could have put that money into mutual funds and lived a lot better until the end.

• Like 1

I was the one that advised Chris to list the car on this site.   Chris volunteered  to list the car for sale.  He is one of many heir's to the estate.  He did all the work of moving the car, jacking it up, taking the pictures and dealing with all of the 

' perspective'  buyers. I personally wasn't interested in the car but I did share with three close Auburn guys that I know.  One of which went there and looked at the car .  He is the fellow that said it was very close to salt water.  I am not sure if it was in Olympia or not.  Every offer that was made had to be reviewed by the estate.  This was a genuine PITA for him.  This was NOT a fishing expedition.  He truly wanted to sell the car, but his hands were tied by the relatives.  The cabriolet will probably be sitting in that barn for years to come.  

• Like 1

Curti,

The problem is these estate family members are watching to much American Pickers and they get a false sense of the value, because TV props it so high, It's only worth what the Market will bear.The family will either come to the conclusion to let it go or be stubborn and another one rots,I am sure your friends made a offer what they thought they could work for there project.Shame it will rot away and not be preserved.

• Like 1

I do recall that the car was in the general Olympia/South Sound area, as that is within a hour and a half or so from me. Now, THIS following impression I have could certainly be wrong, (mid-'70s degrading data processing capabilities), BUT  : I seem to recall that Chris himself had some sentimental interest in resurrecting the car. Petty, greedy, small-minded family members resisted such disposition of the "precious" carcass. I think Chris did MORE than HIS share, with other pressing obligations competing for his time, to try to make a "silk purse" for his ingrate relatives. Please forgive me if I seem harsh in my judgment of the family. I have just seen FAR too much of this kind of family feuding. I am sure that all of you have also. I hope that anyone who reads this is fortunate, as am I, that such crap has not been inflicted on your own family.   -  Carl 

• Like 4

Well put C Carl

People can get pretty ugly when it comes time to divvy up the family jewels.

I am trying to put all my stuff in order here lately and it seems the lawyers can start to smell like fish too.

I did Estate work for years.  It's an old story.  While living, most people say,  "that won't happen in my family"  or "I've got it all taken care of", neither one seems to be true in to many cases.  Greed and "Me First" comes after the deceased has no choices or influence in anything, except what's in the Will or Separate Writings.  

If you are looking for a project car, I have an unrestored 1936 852 (8 cylinder) Phaeton (4 door convertible) - that is time to sell.  It attended ACD meets in 1960's (I think it was painted Neptune Blue then -  a blue turquoise), then it was disassembled for restoration in about 1969 or so (looks like they did the drivetrain, cleaned up the undercarriage, started prepped the body for paint, and ....).  It then passed through several owners who each upgraded it a little, though each unfortunately taking it apart more and each loosing this and that in parts for it.    Over past few years, I have bought most of the missing parts for it (Curt helped with) and I have re-assembled it.   I would say condition wise it is what you would want to restore a CCCA & ACD 30's open car.   It is a dual sidemount car with metal covers with built on trunk. Price would be in the low 40's.  Location: Cincinnati, OH.

Sidenote:  The Phaetons make super nice tour cars - huge trunks, nice space, not too big not too small, great power & roadability - we currently have 3 of them (the most driven has had 50K miles on its restoration via tours, ACD meets and ....), plus have had an 851 S/C Phaeton (in mid 1970's) and an 851 sedan (2006-2007).

I was just thinking about what percentage of my estate my old car stuff would constitute. There ain't going to be an ounce of fight left in them when they get down to that.

I am still thinking about building a berm in front of my house just to slow them from running my things to the curb as my body cools.

It would be so great to be in the garage when they find that big rubber rat I put behind the shelf.

"That's it! Call the dumpster!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, 60FlatTop said:

It would be so great to be in the garage when they find that big rubber rat I put behind the shelf.

I have an articulated wooden snake on one of my shelves, above eye level, to be found when reaching up "blind"....  Glad to see I'm not alone in this....

19 hours ago, alsancle said:

The 35/36 Auburns are GREAT cars.  They are easy to drive, great styling, great performance and you can buy most parts (thanks Curt).  

In a CCCA car, 851's and 852's (850's for that matter) are perhaps the most driveable cars made via 1930's.  

The first (an 851 S/C Phaeton)  dad bought in the 70's with a salesperson of his.   We took on an AACA tour for an entire weekend - loved it.   Upon sale, when delivered the clutch throw-out bearing had gone bad - a new one was sent by Stan Gilliand (and former owner credited $500 on purchase).  When we went to install we found that somewhere along the line the car had driven over a 55 gallon barrel or ... - the frame was all torn up and had been substantially rewelded.  Well, a year plus later after frame was replaced it was just time to sell the car (maybe drove it once or twice in process of selling).  I am sorry we did not spend more time with it, as we had countless other 1930's cars over the years and until we bought the 851 sedan in 2006, forgot what we were missing (and probably would have not had anything else other than Auburns).

By the way, I will tell you an 851/852 is probably most pleasurable pre-1953 car made.   Also,  Cord 810-812's are INCREDIBLE road cars - they just take more of an engineering mentality and a lot more patience and ... to get right.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

21 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

If you are looking for a project car, I have an unrestored 1936 852 (8 cylinder) Phaeton (4 door convertible) - that is time to sell.  It attended ACD meets in 1960's (I think it was painted Neptune Blue then -  a blue turquoise), then it was disassembled for restoration in about 1969 or so (looks like they did the drivetrain, cleaned up the undercarriage, started prepped the body for paint, and ....).  It then passed through several owners who each upgraded it a little, though each unfortunately taking it apart more and each loosing this and that in parts for it.    Over past few years, I have bought most of the missing parts for it (Curt helped with) and I have re-assembled it.   I would say condition wise it is what you would want to restore a CCCA & ACD 30's open car.   It is a dual sidemount car with metal covers with built on trunk. Price would be in the low 40's.  Location: Cincinnati, OH.

Sidenote:  The Phaetons make super nice tour cars - huge trunks, nice space, not too big not too small, great power & roadability - we currently have 3 of them (the most driven has had 50K miles on its restoration via tours, ACD meets and ....), plus have had an 851 S/C Phaeton (in mid 1970's) and an 851 sedan (2006-2007).

Wet our appetite a little more with some current photos. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not to resurrect an old thread but I went and looked at the car when it was listed, Chris couldn't have been nicer. Family members were the ones holding out. Wasn't so much the salt air but poor storage in a very rainy region. The shed leaked badly and the lower rust was significant particularly on one side. I made an offer that was fair, he agreed but others didn't, probably a break for me 

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's still for sale.  Estate thinks it's worth more than highest bid.  I went and looked at it.   It is very near the water, brackish or salt water and every part has some corrosion especially at bolt/connection points, enough that many are pushing through.   The door bottoms and rear pan is mostly gone.  It would be alot of metal work.  It is fairly complete and motor is correct but not original.  

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:09 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Anyone seen the tan convertible sedan that went from long time ownership in Rochester, NY to Florida and a son who owns a restaurant?

Just curious.

Bernie

Bernie, Are you talking about the Rochester car that was supercharged and had sat a long time with a broken crankshaft?

This car was a runner that was stored and only driven a couple times a year. Owned by Paul M. He and his brother had bought the car from a Kodak employee around 1968, not really active hobbyists, just had a nice old car. I used to have lunch with him at Pat's Coffee Mug. We talked about the car a number of times but I never got a chance to visit it. PM's are OK.

Bernie

I haven't been in Pats Coffee mug in a while...wast to impressed with the chow.  I was working on Jefferson Ave (West side and used to wander off for breakfast) This Auburn sat in Churchville up to a few years ago at a Early V8 Ford  repair shop. It was tan and supercharged and  Tommy said it had a broken crankshaft. I don't know if its still there or not.

29 137 roadster at lake.jpg