• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 jeff_a

jeff_a

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

If your wife gave you a card saying she had purchased a Barn Find Antique Car for you and it was a mystery until you went out to the barn....what what be your preferred auto?
Jeff Brown

AACA, Peerless Motor Car Club

#2 56Tbird

56Tbird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Hmmm, I think I would try not to think very much about it. I wouldn't want to be disapointed.
Give of your time and Talent

FP

1956 Thunderbird/1954 Ford F100/1975 VW Sedan/1956 VW Sedan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 auburnseeker

auburnseeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Hmmm, I think I would try not to think very much about it. I wouldn't want to be disapointed.

I've educated my wife quite well ,against her wishes,:) so it was either an incredible deal or a car I have really been looking for. That would also have had to have been a deal. My wife never overpays for anything.

That being said an Auburn Open car would do or possibly that 40's Cadillac or C1 Corvette I have been looking for.

#4 Steve_Mack_CT

Steve_Mack_CT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

My wife shares the car interest and she knows what I would want - she actually did buy me a Model A once which was really cool.

We both want a series I or II Jaguar E Type, FHC, which would be what I would hope to find as we are looking for one...

I have also been missing a pre-war or prewar style car so anything interesting from say, '37 to '48 would be nice. (Auburnseeker knows he could help out here but we'll see.... :) )

Last, she does not want one of these but knows I do - an MG "T" series would be cool.

Steve
1989 Mercedes Benz 560 SL 

1930 Ford Model A Deluxe Roadster
1914 Ford Model T Speedster
AACA, MTFCA, & MBCA

#5 Guest_BJM_*

Guest_BJM_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

1935 to 1937 LWB Imperial Class Airflow. I love a lot of cars but that would be the one!

#6 auburnseeker

auburnseeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

My wife shares the car interest and she knows what I would want - she actually did buy me a Model A once which was really cool.

We both want a series I or II Jaguar E Type, FHC, which would be what I would hope to find as we are looking for one...

I have also been missing a pre-war or prewar style car so anything interesting from say, '37 to '48 would be nice. (Auburnseeker knows he could help out here but we'll see.... :) )

Last, she does not want one of these but knows I do - an MG "T" series would be cool.

Patience Steve_Mack_CT the time will come. I 'm still getting the bugs worked out for you. I drove her another 10 miles today. Weather sounds good this weekend as well so I'll get her out and exercise her some more. There is sill some more NOS chrome left to bolt on.;)

#7 1937hd45

1937hd45

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,115 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:42 AM

Ok, she won PowerBall the week before, and had to buy both cars she found in a barn, both nice, as last raced in 1927, a Type 37A Bugatti and a MILLER INDY Car.

If your wife gave you a card saying she had purchased a Barn Find Antique Car for you and it was a mystery until you went out to the barn....what what be your preferred auto?

#8 West Peterson

West Peterson

"Antique Automobile" Editor

• Moderators
  • 9,113 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

..... a series I or II Jaguar E Type, FHC, which would be what I would hope to find

That's my dream, too. This car was mine to turn down.... and I did... not all that long ago, either. Rust-free California car.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00642.JPG
  • DSC00653.JPG
  • DSC00650.JPG
  • DSC00648.JPG
  • DSC00649.JPG
  • Jag1.jpg
  • DSC00643.JPG
  • DSC00656.JPG

West Peterson, Editor
Antique Automobile (AACA)

No man treats a motorcar as foolishly as he treats another human being. When the car will not go, he does not attribute its annoying behavior to sin, he does not say, "You are a wicked motorcar and I shall not give you any more petrol until you go." He attempts to find out what is wrong and set it right. – Bertrand Russel

"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been!" – Uncle Arni

#9 R W Burgess

R W Burgess

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,404 posts
  • LocationMillers Tavern, Virginia

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:27 AM

..and I took Mr. Peterson as a "droptop" man. I've always like the E type, best as seen from the rear. ;)

That's my dream, too. This car was mine to turn down.... and I did... not all that long ago, either. Rust-free California car.

#10 Guest_BJM_*

Guest_BJM_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

..and I took Mr. Peterson as a "droptop" man. I've always like the E type, best as seen from the rear. ;)

Surprised me too. FHC Jags always look odd to me because I'll bet they designed them as DHC's. The XK's and earlier E's just look strange to me but maybe you guys know something I don't or have seen them in person.

#11 Woodfiddler

Woodfiddler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAtchison, Kansas, USA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

I'd be tickled to learn she found a way to put a barn on our property - or garage! How I miss a garage....
Chuck

#12 West Peterson

West Peterson

• Moderators
  • 9,113 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by R W Burgess Posted Image

Originally Posted by BJM
Surprised me too. FHC Jags always look odd to me because I'll bet they designed them as DHC's. The XK's and earlier E's just look strange to me but maybe you guys know something I don't or have seen them in person.

If I had a choice, I'd take the coupe. In fact, I recently bought a Chrysler Crossfire coupe without even considering the convertible.
Bryan, you may have seen the V-12 "coupe," which does look really strange (kind of like looking at an egg with a long hood attached). The series 1 and 2 six-cylinder coupes are very, very sleek looking. Maybe this photo shows the lines better:

My apologies to the OP for being off topic.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00646.JPG
  • DSC00647.JPG

West Peterson, Editor

No man treats a motorcar as foolishly as he treats another human being. When the car will not go, he does not attribute its annoying behavior to sin, he does not say, "You are a wicked motorcar and I shall not give you any more petrol until you go." He attempts to find out what is wrong and set it right. – Bertrand Russel

#13 bkazmer

bkazmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by R W Burgess Posted Image

Originally Posted by BJM

If I had a choice, I'd take the coupe. In fact, I recently bought a Chrysler Crossfire coupe without even considering the convertible.
Bryan, you may have seen the V-12 "coupe," which does look really strange (kind of like looking at an egg with a long hood attached). The series 1 and 2 six-cylinder coupes are very, very sleek looking. Maybe this photo shows the lines better:

My apologies to the OP for being off topic.

In the 6 cylinder there is a coupe and a 2+2 - the V12 coupe is the size of the 2+2 so has the much more awkward (to me) roofline

#14 West Peterson

West Peterson

• Moderators
  • 9,113 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

You are correct in that the 2+2 is awkward looking. The car above is a 1964 six-cylinder coupe.

Edited by West Peterson, 16 November 2012 - 04:53 PM.
because I was wrong about the six not being available as a 2+2.

West Peterson, Editor

#15 Marty Roth

Marty Roth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

Having once owned a 1963 "E-Type" I can assure you, that no matter how they are best viewed,
They are best enjoyed from behind the Steering Wheel
------- Much more refined than "C-Type, and D-Type", which I have also had the good fortune to drive, but in my younger days, my XK-120MC was a blast....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MARTY ROTH - NEW ORLEANS, LA

AACA DIRECTOR & VP-EVENTS PLANNING
SENIOR-MASTER JUDGE
AACA LIFE MEMBER

1915 HUDSON 6-40 7-PASSENGER TOURING
1930 PACKARD 733 7-PASSENGER TOURING
1934 BUICK 34-57 SIDEMOUNTED SEDAN
1937 BUICK 80C ROADMASTER PHAETON
1941 CADILLAC CONVERTIBLE
1954 CADILLAC CONVERTIBLE
1970 CADILLAC CONVERTIBLE
1986 CHEVY SUBURBAN 2500 454ci
1988 BMW 528e
1988 CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE
1994 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD
1995 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD

1995 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS
2005 CHRYSLER CONVERTIBLE
1954 U-HAUL

#16 Steve_Mack_CT

Steve_Mack_CT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Luckily, the FHC to is my favorite configuration for these - I would certainly love a roadster but it is out of our price range.

The 6 cylinder cars came as 2 + 2 also, but the roofline is different, it's actually higher and the windshield rake is also different. When the Series III came along, they fiddled with it again to get the now 2 + 2 only configuration to look a little more graceful. It is better in certain colors, I have been looking at a silver 2+2 6 cylinder that really looks pretty good, is priced reasonable at $21K and the overall car is right where I want it condition wise but I think I really want the 2 seater. But to take this back on topic, I would like to see the above Jag dust and all... :)

The car West posted has another big plus - 3 pedals on the floor....

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT, 16 November 2012 - 05:01 PM.

Steve
1989 Mercedes Benz 560 SL 

1930 Ford Model A Deluxe Roadster
1914 Ford Model T Speedster
AACA, MTFCA, & MBCA

#17 jazzer3

jazzer3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

1 Mercedes Gullwing
2 Airflow Imperial coupe
3 Yugo, just kidding:)
Happy Thanksgiving to all,
Jay

#18 jeff_a

jeff_a

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Bryan,

The Imperial Airflow sounds good, but I got my Hemmings yesterday with an auction booklet for The Raleigh Classic and thought you'd like one of the 2 1940s on page 3 as runner-up choices! One's a Cadillac and one's a Buick.----Jeff

Edited by jeff_a, 16 November 2012 - 06:46 PM.

Jeff Brown

AACA, Peerless Motor Car Club

#19 1937hd45

1937hd45

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,115 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Can I add a real Type 52 Bugatti for our Grandson to this Barn Find list? Bob

1 Mercedes Gullwing
2 Airflow Imperial coupe
3 Yugo, just kidding:)
Happy Thanksgiving to all,
Jay

#20 Guest_BJM_*

Guest_BJM_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

Bryan,

The Imperial Airflow sounds good, but I got my Hemmings yesterday with an auction booklet for The Raleigh Classic and thought you'd like one of the 2 1940s on page 3 as runner-up choices! One's a Cadillac and one's a Buick.----Jeff

Well...if we only get ONE car. As you know I keep buying and selling. I love the 1940 Buicks too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users