Have you driven your classic today?

Dave@Moon

It was a beautiful day today in Cincinnati, high of 78 degrees, light breeze, puffy white clouds in a blue sky, very low humidity, etc. I took the Triumph out for a 3 hour, 100 mile ride just to enjoy the day. Fortunately I live on the edge of the suburbs, and can be touring on country roads with 10 minutes of leaving my house. Many old cars are often seen doing the same thing on days like this on the route I took.

Just as I was about to get home I saw a street rodded 1974 Nova, and it occurred to me that it was the very first (and only) antique/hobby car I'd seen the entire trip.

I've toured many rural roads frequented by antiques, today's route at least a 1/2 dozen times, and this is probably the only time I've ever gone completely without seeing any. Especially on a sunny Saturday! Granted we currently have some of the most expensive gas in the U.S. here in Ohio right now (~$3.75/gal.), but even when it was over $4 you's still see at least an occasional street rod or VW.

I've never seen fewer antique cars on the road than I have this year, and today's complete lack of them really shocked me. Has everyone stopped driving their cars?:confused::(

We have finally had a little moderation to the heat here in the Dallas area wth some welcome rain. I took my Olds for a ride yesterday and took the Lincoln out today with the For Sale signs in the windows. We are now lucky enough to have two different Saturday morning "cars and coffee" groups in our immediate area so I see a lot of older cars then. However I almost never see cars older than the 80's on the street as regular drivers.

We have used the SL nearly every weekend that has been dry since January. Dave a few weeks ago we encountered a TR-4 and Triumph Stag on the road, and usually encounter either another older or newer SL at some point during the ride. Took dad to lunch in it yesterday, he liked it - would have liked it better if it was a '48 Ford convertible I am sure, but he did like it... :D

Texas heat has been on break for a couple of days, so will drive the '39 Buick to Mansfield for a Texas Region AACA meeting this afternoon unless the rain clouds start building. Supposed to be a short tour to have dessert following the meeting and late catered lunch. Should be a great day!

post-41405-143139138572_thumb.jpgWith the great weather, we were with about 150 cars from SW Ohio 25 miles north of Fairfield at Germantown's monthly free car show. They close off 8 blocks and the associated parking lots with a band playing non rock music. Maybe the cars you didn't see were in Germantown.

On Sunday, August 26th, our club will touring in your area. This is an invitation to come tour with us as a guest. We will be meeting at the PNC Bank just west of Exit 21, Dayton/Cincinnati Rd off I-75. Plan to arrive at 1:30 and we will leave at 1:45 after a short drivers's meeting. Check out our news letter at the following link.

New Page 1

Edited by huptoy (see edit history)

Guest floridadave

oh yes for sure.. Sunday morning early... coffee and kick some tires at the bagel shop. good turn out today. Took out the 30 five window ford and ran it up I-95 to blow it out.post-87227-143139138458_thumb.jpg

Yep....drove the '31 out of the garage to have another look at the carburetor. Took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together only to have it leak like a sieve. Now what?????

post-37352-143139138475_thumb.jpg

August 17th Hot August Cruise Night in Atascardeo;

http://media.sanluisobispo.com/smedia/2012/08/18/00/41/7CEfr.St.76.jpeg

Saturday August 18, in the morning to the Bakery Bums in Paso Robles, ( these two small cities are in-between my small city of Templeton Ca.) Bakery Bums Every Saturday morning;

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/2009show/09bakerybums/assets/images/db_images/db_classic2.jpg

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/2009show/09bakerybums/assets/images/db_images/db_Ken_s_Roadster-s1.jpg

Saturday mid morning was Atascadero Lake car show;

Today, Sunday August 19, Our AACA monthly tour to wineries and a olive farm and to another winery for a late lunch and a concert.

Guest 4 bufords

took my 62 invicta to troy,ny yesterday for an all buick show about 170 miles round trip,car ran good and today i took it to dunkin donuts,4 bufords from ct

They all went up north to the Woodward Dream Cruise. I went for a few rides in mine today. Still isn't doing what it's supposed to.

Un huh!!! Was out & about 5 out of the past 7 days. Another great event and this year the weather was near perfect Friday & Saturday, mid 70s and sunny.

Estimated 1.3 million people along the 16 mile route with 30,000 antique, vintage, hot rod, custom, special interest vehicles of all types. We alternate vehicles for the various club events bringing two for Friday & Saturday.

This aerial video show with a GoPro from a RC Helicopter was done earlier in the week, Tuesday or Wednesday based on the lighter traffic (but heavy concentration of vintage vs. new) and what is set up (and what's not) at various locations shown such as Shell, Pasquale's, etc.

Lights & Siren Parade Friday: Woodward Dream Cruise 2012 Emergency Vehicle Lights & Sirens Parade - YouTube

Dream Cruise - Friday | The Detroit News

Dream Cruise - Saturday morning | The Detroit News

Dream Cruise-Saturday afternoon | The Detroit News

Dream Cruise-late Saturday | The Detroit News

Mark Phelan: Two Swedes ship '68 Chevy Corvette across Atlantic for Dream Cruise | Mark Phelan | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=C4&Dato=20120818&Kategori=NEWS13&Lopenr=208180802&Ref=PH/Dream-Cruise-kick-off?odyssey=mod|defcon|img|FRONTPAGE

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=C4&Dato=20120818&Kategori=NEWS13&Lopenr=208180811&Ref=PH/Another-Dream-Cruise-books?odyssey=mod|defcon|img|FRONTPAGE

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=C4&Dato=20120818&Kategori=NEWS13&Lopenr=208180808&Ref=PH/Dream-Cruise-going-strong?odyssey=mod|defcon|img|FRONTPAGE

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120819/AUTO02/208190313/With-perfect-weather-happy-crowds-12-Dream-Cruise-one-our-best-?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120818/AUTO02/208180350/Woodward-Dream-Cruise-Big-day-classic-car-lovers?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120818/AUTO02/208180363/-s-all-smiles-2012-Woodward-Dream-Cruise-comes-close?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Word on the street about the 2012 Woodward Dream Cruise | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Guest Oldengineer

I spent Friday night and Saturday running around in my 48 Chevy. Took wife out to dinner and to a little cruise-in on Friday evening. Then, on Saturday, I took the 48 to the Summerfest car show in South Charleston, WV. Almost 200 cars showed up for the event. I had a nice day talking to the other enthuisasts, and, looking at a really diverse selection of nice cars.

Regards:

Oldengineer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]150411[/ATTACH]With the great weather, we were with about 150 cars from SW Ohio 25 miles north of Fairfield at Germantown's monthly free car show. They close off 8 blocks and the associated parking lots with a band playing non rock music. Maybe the cars you didn't see were in Germantown.

On Sunday, August 26th, our club will touring in your area. This is an invitation to come tour with us as a guest. We will be meeting at the PNC Bank just west of Exit 21, Dayton/Cincinnati Rd off I-75. Plan to arrive at 1:30 and we will leave at 1:45 after a short drivers's meeting. Check out our news letter at the following link.

New Page 1

Thanks for the invite! :) I'd love to go, but I have my Sundays tied up for the foreseeable future playing chauffeur to my wife and daughter (along with most of the rest of the week). My wife, who I have to take to church and back, had an operation on her right foot that has had complications, and she hasn't been able to drive for 2 months and needs at least 2 more before she can. My daughter works every Sunday as a waitress and doesn't yet have a license. Yesterday's ride was the first time the TR had been out of the garage in 2 months, which is VERY atypical for me.

If I can make other arrangements for rides for them I'll be there. :)

We drove the 1954 Cadillac convertible on the AACA Founders Tour based in Scranton,PA last week.Then we drove the big Cady to Toledo, Ohio, and are driving with VMCCA friends counter-clockwise around Lake Erie. We left Toledo this morning, and have arrived in Westlake where we visited the restoration shops of Doug Seybold who specializes in 1940 & 1941 Buicks. Doug,his wife Ronnie, and son Nathan were gracious hosts, and their shop is amazing. We will continue to Erie and Buffalo (Pierce-Arrow collection), and on to the Canadian side to Fort Erie, London & Windsor, Ontario.

As soon as we leave Windsor,we head for the AACA Reliability (Pre-1916) Tour in Richmond,VA.

Next comes the AACA Central Division Meet in Canyon, TX in September,Followed by Hershey,....

And then the Glidden Tour in Brenham,Texas where we expect to drive the 1914 Buick Touring.

Yep, although not exactly classics, they're old and fun. I drove the 63 Mini Saturday morning to a "car guys" breakfast, then the 48 Anglia (aren't they all 48's, ha !) to the cruise-in Saturday night while my wife followed to "guard me" in the Mini. My little 6 volt twinkly tail lights are not as big or bright as they could be, (good thing she hasn't noticed the Mini's, they're no better I think.) John

My wife and I drove the 41 convertable to a "cruise in" at a local ice cream shop on Saturday evening. Had a sandwich and a snack and watched the cars drive in and out. It was particularly funny sitting there among all the muscle cars with a Crosley. In any case when the drawing for the door prizes took place at the end of the night, we won a 50 dollar gas card. I told them it was a year's worth of gas for that car!!!

Drove both Cadillacs ('29 and '41) to the AACA Patterson Fruit Farm car show on Sunday, me in the '29 and my lady friend driving the '41, which she enjoyed immensely. Her two young sons joined us, one in each car. Weather held out until the drive home, where it rained only enough to make the cars dirty. Bah.

I'm gearing up to drive the '41 to Toronto (about 250 miles each way) this coming weekend. I figure if the '29 can routinely make it back and forth to Columbus, this much more modern, powerful machine should be able to do it no sweat. Hopefully no hassles at the border with YOM plates...

Matt is actually the only one who reported driving a Classic so far.... :D

(Yes, I know Dave knows full well the difference and see he used a small case "C" but someone had to point this out - for humor only!...)

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
Not looking to incite a war, only a few chuckles... (see edit history)

(Yes, I know Dave knows full well the difference and see he used a small case "C" but someone had to point this out - for humor only!...)

I was wondering who would say that first...

Let's see..... today, My 36 V-12 and my 32 Coupe. The weekend at the drag strip we ran 11.52 in the 57 Chevy, and lost 4 rods in the process. Looks like oil pump failure; we lost the crank and rods, everything else made it. It seems the more HP we run the more stuff explodes. Last year the rear end, this year the rock crusher, and now the motor...... old cars sure are fun!

I didn't mention specifics since there was a lower case 'c' in the subject line

but yes, one of my Dream Cruise rides was a Classic; Series 67 Cadillac.

It performed flawlessly on the 90 mile trip including highway travel

and several miles of very slow cruising on an 80 degree day. :cool:

Guest Kingoftheroad
My son and I had some fun this weekend with the Caddy and a camera... :cool:

Great video Lou !!

It put a smile on my face !!

Guest Nancy DeWitt

We drive all but a handful of our museum cars every summer and have been busy getting them out for exercise. I'd say we had the most fun taking out our 1932 Cadillac V12 Imperial Limousine recently. All of a sudden it backfired and look what appeared! (That's a 1932 American Austin coupe back there). Quite the contrast.

post-58418-143139147986_thumb.jpg

Guest Nancy DeWitt

John, that's a full-size American Austin. They were tiny cars--only 104" long with a 75" wheelbase (compared to the Cadillac's 149" wheelbase). Admittedly, the angle of that photo makes the Austin look even tinier. Here's another one for comparison:

post-58418-143139147996_thumb.jpg

Neat pic, thank you ! I did know the Austins were small, I also have only seen one Cadillac like yours, so the angle and memory both threw me off. Karen and I bid on a little Austin several years ago at one of the most fabulous auctions we have ever attended in Bell Buckle, Tennessee. There was everything from brass era to 50's cars there, but we wanted the Austin so bad. I did get LOTS of small things in boxes and quite a few "other" things, but no cars that day. Still have my pictures we took that day, but that's about all. Thanks for your reply, if you ever hear of Mr. Minor's little replica being on display, be sure to check it out. That gentleman was a true artist with metal.

Drove the project '69 Bug to work again yesterday (Monday 8/27). A better experience than the last time I tried it a couple of weeks ago (running better, but still not "great"). The joke was on me, however, when I got outside at the end of the day to find the car positively soaked from an afternoon downpour! I bailed it out when I got home!

Also had fun attending the hot rod show at the Berlin Fairgrounds (East Berlin, CT) this past Saturday, 8/25/2012 with it:

post-34222-143139148862_thumb.jpg

A beautiful morning. Took my '13 Ford runabout to recycling, then the bank, then to a Shop-Rite about 5 miles further away. While I was in the bank parking lot, explaining the Model T to the bankers, a young neighbor woman pulled in with her two small boys, and asked me if I'd give the boys a ride. Turned out she was about to go to the Shop-Rite, too, so I took her kids and she followed me. When we got to the parking lot I showed them how the lamps had no bulbs, how the bulb horn worked (always a winner!) and how I cranked the car (which mom got on video). As I said, a beautiful morning!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Gil, that was so nice of you! I remember, back when I was in 7th grade, marching up to someone with what was probably a Model A after church, and asking for a ride in the rumble seat. It was the coolest car I had ever seen! He gave me and a friend a ride home, with my dad following behind. Hopefully you sparked a bit of the "antique-car bug" in those little boys!