Architecture and Signage: Historic Buick Dealerships

Centurion

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Mudbone said:

Does anyone have any info or photos of Bill Dreiling Motor Co. in Denver Colorado? I found a few pieces of advertizing but that's about it. Project 66R was purchased from that dealership.

I'm renovating the store right now (into a Jag dealership). I have found very little info on it as well. It had a cool sign that's no longer there.

index.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my car in front of Bennett Buick, Wayland, NY a few years back.

606986803_2001.jpg.10087996208c9aeb7c06905d5bc4e5df.jpg

And I was a few years late for the Premiere. But I did make it to Soldier's Field in 1967 as part of the Living Flag. I'm in the white star.

008.JPG.f99af08a251dc3b0d23e6bad3da90ec9.JPG

Navy Boot Camp Book 1967 Company 229 The Keel | GG Archives

• Like 3

Did Inland Buick in Deland Florida, become Kaiser Buick?

I took this off my 1977 Century, in 1977 at the dealer before I drove off the lot.

The car was a dealer trade, to Lane Pontiac Buick, in Melbourne Florida.

1977 Buick Century.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 7:41 AM, MrEarl said:

see @Jolly_John , you're not the only one I like to haggle with😁

It's a known fact in old BUICK circles, Lamar....no one can resist your charm and boyish good looks, when involved in a negotiation with you. There's no doubt in my mind that Chicago car dealer would have accepted your $740 offer for the '36 BUICK, AND included the set of four new tires, the new seat covers, and the full tank of gas you "requested" as part of the deal. Your pal, John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/26/2022 at 5:51 AM, MrEarl said:

Can ya do $740 on the ‘36 Buick? 

83614D4F-EEFF-4139-AF7F-75E7C680C2ED.jpeg.2124db010b71d7f185c213ead0e69d30.jpeg

@Jolly_John and @Mr_Earl, 

If y'all would advance me $175 each,

I'll make an offer on the 90 Series 1934 Buick,

and even let you drive it when you come to the Deep-South for a visit and some great dining 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 11:20 AM, lebu said:

Hello Centurion,

Thank you very much for the history of the Anderson Buick dealership. Here is a picture of the emblem that was on the car when I bought it in 1985--age 16. This picture is off a 64  Wildcat I saw on Craigslist. The emblem was removed when I had it painted and then lost after the car is was in storage for 13 years. I spend a lot of time on eBay looking for another.

My car is a 1964 Skylark that  I am currently restoring.  There are some features of the car that make me believe it was used on the Anderson Boise showroom.   For starters, the door switches for  the interior lights have bypass switches that disable the feature, the doors can remain open without the lights draining the battery. Another feature, is the aftermarket Stewart Warner gauges date of June 1964 is one month from the car's build date of 3rd week of July 1964. The mag wheels are also first generation Rebels wheels, available in 1964. The car would be classified as a 1964 4-4-2 equivalent. It has the Wildcat 355 with aluminum heads, hi compression, and 4 barrel intake. It is backed by a 4 speed with the original GM installed Hurst shifter, and has the dual exhaust.  I just replaced both of the stock rear exhaust hangers behind bumper after decades of decay so I know they have been there for a long time. The car also has a lot of features that your would not find on an up-scaled Skylark. (over the Special). No power brakes, no power steering, and no automatic transmission. All business with a scarce engine compartment. Combined, I believed Anderson Buick may have displayed this car as a performance  variation to lure customers. This car was a time capsule when I found it in Caldwell, Idaho, sitting under a berry-staining tree on the canyon bluff.

I will be using your photos to document the car. If you  remember seeing this car during your days in Boise, please let me know so I can add you to its history. 

kind regards,

Lebu

AndersonBoise.jpg

CarPhoto.jpgimage.jpeg.77e3e3d769757b98af1a3e9f0d4d0800.jpeg

I have your emblem, it came off my old 69 GS California. The car is no more and this has been hanging out in my tool box for the last 25 years, if you still need, it I'd love to see it go back on a car it belongs on. 

Can anyone help me get this emblem to  Lebu? I stumbled across this post and would like this emblem to go to him as he has been looking for it for some time it seems. As I just signed up here I cant text him directly. Thanks

image.jpeg

22 hours ago, Aa-Ron said:

Can anyone help me get this emblem to  Lebu? I stumbled across this post and would like this emblem to go to him as he has been looking for it for some time it seems. As I just signed up here I cant text him directly. Thanks

@lebu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anybody got a picture of Huling Brothers in West Seattle the way it was? Whenever I see these old dealership threads come up, I look for one, but apparently none exist online.

As recently as the 1990s, Huling Brothers Buick had a huge red neon Buick sign in the style of the grille emblems on the 1937 Buicks. This is the building it hung on. The picture is after the sign was gone, but before it got remodeled into a Trader Joes. The sign hung between or above those upstairs windows as I recall, and was about as tall as that upper story. It's hard to believe nobody ever took a picture.

hulingphoo.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bloo said:

Has anybody got a picture of Huling Brothers in West Seattle the way it was? Whenever I see these old dealership threads come up, I look for one, but apparently none exist online.

As recently as the 1990s, Huling Brothers Buick had a huge red neon Buick sign in the style of the grille emblems on the 1937 Buicks. This is the building it hung on. The picture is after the sign was gone, but before it got remodeled into a Trader Joes. The sign hung between or above those upstairs windows as I recall, and was about as tall as that upper story. It's hard to believe nobody ever took a picture.

hulingphoo.jpg

Bloo, I also remember the wonderful signage from this dealership, and was very sad when I learned that they had been removed.  I looked for old photos of the dealership, and these two images have surfaced so far:

recent-1.jpg

recent-2.jpg

• Like 5