Architecture and Signage: Historic Buick Dealerships

Centurion

16 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

c0beccc2389c80e9dba978d34c4ed873x.jpg?im

Chris, thanks so much for continuing to find and share these old dealership photos. I found this one particularly interesting as it includes auto livery in it's name banner. Many early dealerships evolved from horse livery stables and not only sold autos but also rented, stored and serviced them for the owners.  I also find this picture interesting because of the multi pane window up front. When researching architectural details for my Buick Sales and Service Garage build, I found that much larger panes were more the norm and was concerned my multi-pane would not be period correct. Turns out,  I guess it passes.  So thanks again!!!!

Here's some early history on the subject dealership and the two last pictures posted in the Tri-Cities area of Washington, still in business.

Speck Motors, Inc. was founded in 1912. Clayton Speck and his brother-in-law moved their families from Illinois to Sunnyside, Washington in the early 1900's. Clayton's first business endeavor was operating a cafe. He also did painting. In 1912, Clayton and his brother-in-law founded the Speck-Rowland Garage with Buick as the car franchise. The Chevrolet History division was added in 1917. In 1920 Clayton bought out his brother-in-law. During the early years, it was not uncommon for customers to trade items such as guns or rings as down payments on cars. Old financial statements list cows, diamond rings, and other items among dealership assets.

https://www.speckhyundai.com/dealership/history.htm

https://www.speckbuickgmc.com/Speck-Buick-GMC-Dealership-History#close

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Chris, thanks so much for continuing to find and share these old dealership photos. I found this one particularly interesting as it includes auto livery in it's name banner. Many early dealerships evolved from horse livery stables and not only sold autos but also rented, stored and serviced them for the owners.  I also find this picture interesting because of the multi pane window up front. When researching architectural details for my Buick Sales and Service Garage build, I found that much larger panes were more the norm and was concerned my multi-pane would not be period correct. Turns out,  I guess it passes.  So thanks again!!!!

Here's some early history on the subject dealership and the two last pictures posted in the Tri-Cities area of Washington, still in business.

Speck Motors, Inc. was founded in 1912. Clayton Speck and his brother-in-law moved their families from Illinois to Sunnyside, Washington in the early 1900's. Clayton's first business endeavor was operating a cafe. He also did painting. In 1912, Clayton and his brother-in-law founded the Speck-Rowland Garage with Buick as the car franchise. The Chevrolet History division was added in 1917. In 1920 Clayton bought out his brother-in-law. During the early years, it was not uncommon for customers to trade items such as guns or rings as down payments on cars. Old financial statements list cows, diamond rings, and other items among dealership assets.

https://www.speckhyundai.com/dealership/history.htm

https://www.speckbuickgmc.com/Speck-Buick-GMC-Dealership-History#close

I had to go back and look at your Buick Sales and Service!  Sure enough, you have installed the large multi-pane window!  You have put a lot of thought into your project!   

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...