Vandalism at AACA headquarters? What’s the story?

Please abide by Steve's comments - yes we are all upset to read this, but even more so are the people who are at HQ everyday . We all will know more from the true source - Steve M.  When it happens and is in place. to even suggest that a former employee could take this action is an abomination. Does that opinion of lack of trust for AACA employees also get tagged on the current staff? Totally and completely unjust thought and comments.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, CarNucopia said:

She’s wearing a light colored sweatsuit and had no tools or bags with her. She also seems to gesture at nobody before casually walking out of frame. My guess is mental illness she’s high on something. 

I looked at the pictures of the woman. Very familiar, even her clothes. Like someone who waits patiently as her husband stops every three paces to talk with someone. Then one day.... Don't let the smile fool you.

IMG_0003.JPG.8efcada0ecde6ec409b7bde7655e65da.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

If it is who I think it is (from early conversations with law enforcement) she may be a habitual offender from another state.

In that case system has failed. That's like relocating a pest animal. All it does is saddle someone else with the problem.

Psychopaths, sociopaths and narcissists (her description fits all three) cannot be changed, much less "cured". I've dealt with too many of them, personally and professionally, to believe otherwise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, Steve, for the update.  A sad event, with all the talent here maybe someone will volunteer to fix truck damage, though I would think insurance might cover some or all cost.

The world seems to get stranger day by day, I’m sure no one imagined such a thing would happen.

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Want to make a wager on that statement?  Sorry Bob, I understand the frustration we all have with the current legal system but no, she is not out and what I know so far is that she is looking at significant jail time. In fact, I suspect she will not be granted bail as she is a flight risk. As I said. please everyone let this play out...you will be informed and yes we agreed to press charges right from the get go.  If it is who I think it is (from early conversations with law enforcement) she may be a habitual offender from another state.

Nope, no wager, Steve. My statement was more a comment on the state of our society and not meant to be taken literally. That said, if it turns out to be close to the truth you can count me as not surprised.

Hope it all works out with little or no loss to AACA.............Bob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I know everyone is curious and want to know every detail but Don said it best.  Please, end the speculation, we will have answers.

8 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

As I said. please everyone let this play out...you will be informed

A bizarre irony of our modern world is, that we have become so used to the idea of "instant communication" and "instant information" that we think we are entitled to the "answers right now" for everything. However, reality has a way of hiding in the wings of our minds. 

Whether it is the crash of an airliner? Or the burglary and vandalism of our club's headquarters and museum? Proper investigation TAKES TIME! People, everyone, need to allow that time for any meaningful investigation to take place. Whether it is a week, or a year or even more, the facts cannot be put out until they are fully rooted out.

Unlike an airliner crash, this incident is not terribly complicated. I doubt that it will take very long. But it will take some time to sort it out. Be patient. Go out and polish the brass. Take a nice day for a drive in the countryside. Steve M will tell us when the time is right.

And by the way. Now is a good time to thank the many wonderful people that make this particular club, as well as many other similar clubs, as great as they are!

I try every now and again to tack my thanks onto the tail end of one of my postings.

So I wish to publicly thank all the wonderful people that make the AACA, the HCCA, and my own local Bay Area Horseless Carriage Club the great clubs they are!

• Like 13

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

A bizarre irony of our modern world is, that we have become so used to the idea of "instant communication" and "instant information" that we think we are entitled to the "answers right now" for everything.

Oh so true, unfortunately. It is why I ceased contributing images, photographs etc of the pre war era to the forums - rude people demanding more and what, where why etc.  I do not have time for those type of people .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

At the very beginning of the video she seems to drop a laptop or something that shatters into pieces then wipes her hands off as to be rid of the problem then b-lines towards the building. 

Did the police say what the device was that she broke at the beginning of the video? It seemed to further provoke her behavior...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

12 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

At the very beginning of the video she seems to drop a laptop or something that shatters into pieces then wipes her hands off as to be rid of the problem then b-lines towards the building. 

Did the police say what the device was that she broke at the beginning of the video? It seemed to further provoke her behavior...

I wasn't going to respond anymore until I could fill in the blanks but Dave I chuckled on this one.  It was not a laptop...it was a Orkin outside rodent trap!!!  That was the only humorous part of this deal...I hope there was a mouse in it!

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

8 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I wasn't going to respond anymore until I could fill in the blanks but Dave I chuckled on this one.  It was not a laptop...it was a Orkin outside rodent trap!!!  That was the only humorous part of this deal...I hope there was a mouse in it!

I wish there was a rattlesnake in it!!

Craig

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I figured I would wait to chime in. 

People walking around with mental illness or severe addiction issues are nothing new in this country. What is new is the permissive attitude of the masses accepting it as normal and something that one should expect to deal with in the normal day’s routine. Senseless crime and millions of lives lost and wasted. Holding people accountable for their actions isn’t a popular theme today. It’s only going to get worse before the entire population gets tired of it and the pendulum swings the other direction. In the meantime there will be millions of more victims of violence, property damage, and the physical and emotional toll of the crime. Notice no political statement of any kind. The social contract of living in a heavily taxed and regulated society means we shouldn’t put up with any of it. I expect for most of us we won’t be here when the turnaround happens. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

She was probably too buzzed to realize the diseases she may have breathed in while slapping her hands free of the "dust" from the trap.  

I don't know Steve, you may want to brace yourself for the defense as her attorney states "it was the wild pixie dust from the mouse trap that caused her reaction".  As Ed and others have pointed out, we live in a very bizzaro world nowdays. 

I'm still trying to figure out how a thin young lady breaks a lock without any tools? Must of been some strong dust...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

On 6/11/2024 at 6:45 PM, wayne sheldon said:

A bizarre irony of our modern world is, that we have become so used to the idea of "instant communication" and "instant information" that we think we are entitled to the "answers right now" for everything. However, reality has a way of hiding in the wings of our minds. 

Whether it is the crash of an airliner? Or the burglary and vandalism of our club's headquarters and museum? Proper investigation TAKES TIME! People, everyone, need to allow that time for any meaningful investigation to take place. Whether it is a week, or a year or even more, the facts cannot be put out until they are fully rooted out.

Unlike an airliner crash, this incident is not terribly complicated. I doubt that it will take very long. But it will take some time to sort it out. Be patient. Go out and polish the brass. Take a nice day for a drive in the countryside. Steve M will tell us when the time is right.

TRUTH--We are dealing with this same demand for instant answers just down the road a few miles--the loss of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore. There, just like here, people want instant answers and if they are not available, some fill in the missing blanks with their own fanciful imaginations.

Steve M is correct--these things take time.  He has been very open about sharing the information he has; I expect he will continue to keep us as informed as possible while respecting the Rights of the accused.  This is the time to remember that when we proudly claim to be " a nation of Laws", it means EVERYONE gets treated the same.  The system will work.  Allow it to work.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

She was probably too buzzed to realize the diseases she may have breathed in while slapping her hands free of the "dust" from the trap.  

I don't know Steve, you may want to brace yourself for the defense as her attorney states "it was the wild pixie dust from the mouse trap that caused her reaction".  As Ed and others have pointed out, we live in a very bizzaro world nowdays. 

I'm still trying to figure out how a thin young lady breaks a lock without any tools? Must of been some strong dust...

Yes we are in a Bizzaro Litigious World when you see signs in public toilets stating that the water in the toilets is not drinkable.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Littlestown Mike said:

TRUTH--We are dealing with this same demand for instant answers just down the road a few miles--the loss of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore. There, just like here, people want instant answers and if they are not available, some fill in the missing blanks with their own fanciful imaginations.

Steve M is correct--these things take time.  He has been very open about sharing the information he has; I expect he will continue to keep us as informed as possible while respecting the Rights of the accused.  This is the time to remember that when we proudly claim to be " a nation of Laws", it means EVERYONE gets treated the same.  The system will work.  Allow it to work.

The day that happened, I turned to my wife and said "It will be many months before they can figure out exactly what went wrong and who might be responsible!"

As someone with considerable engineering background, and that has had the responsibility a few times to figure out what did go wrong somewhere? I am as curious as anybody wanting to know. But I don't even follow any news reports about it because it is still way too soon.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I figured I would wait to chime in. 

People walking around with mental illness or severe addiction issues are nothing new in this country. What is new is the permissive attitude of the masses accepting it as normal and something that one should expect to deal with in the normal day’s routine. Senseless crime and millions of lives lost and wasted. Holding people accountable for their actions isn’t a popular theme today. It’s only going to get worse before the entire population gets tired of it and the pendulum swings the other direction. In the meantime there will be millions of more victims of violence, property damage, and the physical and emotional toll of the crime. Notice no political statement of any kind. The social contract of living in a heavily taxed and regulated society means we shouldn’t put up with any of it. I expect for most of us we won’t be here when the turnaround happens. 

Ed, don't forget all the Karens walking around. They scare the hell out of me. 

• Like 1

She will get off Scott free…

As others have hinted if she claims ANY certain gender or affiliated group. Steve and the club officers will be doing Jail Time!

Steve as a lifetime member…..

can we consider moving the library and museum south?

Like New York the state of Pa has dropped free fall in the last 3 years.

Bitter pill to swallow but We Love Sheriff Carmine down here…..

I love Florida , it’s a wonderful place to LIVE!

God Bless Sheriff Carmine.

Just a thought from a lifetime member.

Gtjoey1314

Edited by Gtjoey (see edit history)

I keep getting sucked back in this thread but seriously guys, no sense in speculating. Why?  There can be a number of reasons this happened from mental illness, drugs, vendetta, etc. but maybe more, we just don't know but I promised to report back here when the info is known and we can deal with facts.  I understand social media and that people want their voices to be heard but the rush to find an answer or to blame this on anything is so premature.  We know the legal landscape here in this county and do not expect this to be a "catch & release" type of deal and depending on the results of this we may consider a civil suit.  My guess is that within the week i will be able to shed more light on the subject.

As to here breaking the lock on the door.  She took a brick and kept smashing the lock handle until it broke through part of the door and loosened enough up to open the door.  These doors and locks are almost 50 years old as this is a building we did not remodel or upgrade (yet).  I have been here for over 20 years and it is the first case of vandalism we have had and we have had collector cars overnight in our parking lot.  There just is not a lot of serious crime in this township.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

18 minutes ago, Gtjoey said:

I guess our dues are going up for the new mandatory locks, key fobs and  cameras . So we can renew our liability policy or get dropped. 

oh well ….

Love you Steve …..

All the best on a serious note

Gtjoey1314

No, the reason we have pictures of the "perp" is that we have cameras all over the facility, inside and out. Locks already on garage doors. Part of what happened is that she did this damage after midnight when the parking lights shut off so some of our video was not strong enough and one camera was compromised due to spider webs.  It has since been remedied and all others checked.  One incident in approximately 7,500 days is not going to scare off our insurance carrier! 

Oh, the building was not alarmed but it is now and two of us are tied into it with our cell phones.  We both live close by and we have central monitoring just like the main building.

You guys have too much time on your hands, might seem that I do as well but I work far more than a 40 hour work week!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Maybe time for a guard dog...

A dog can be trained to attack and that can bring on some unanticipated consequences. I keep one car stored where they have a male guard Alpaca. They can't be trained so you are pretty safe on the legal side.

• Haha 2

There is a psychological side to a crime. The fact that it happened leaves many feeling they have been personally violated.

A few years ago my wife and I had our cars ransacked during the night. We are not car lockers and the neighborhood doesn't really warrant it. In the morning I found the contents of both cars strewn all over. It was mostly CD's and other personal items. We both checked and found nothing missing.

That day I sat across the kitchen table from my wife and asked "Do you feel kind of rejected? They didn't want anything."

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Is there anything we can do to help the club repair/recover damages?

No, things are under control except for finding a roof for our F-450 King Ranch.  That is the big problem.  I know a lot more about this incident but things still have to play out.  Sadly, it turns out this is a mental health situation.  The family has stated that they want to make things right and our local police did an outstanding job of bringing this to a quick resolution.  The offender is not walking the streets but in a facility to get the help she needs.  This is acceptable to us.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6