Tow Combination You’ve Never Seen…

I mentioned this yesterday on a thread.  Today I have pictures.  A late style Turbo Beetle pulling a 16’ steel utility trailer with a fiberglass MiGi MGTD replica.  Hitch was 2” off the ground.  Wonder how it steers…?

IMG_3432.jpeg.1cf6f53eea0f80769d337d1188cc5e7d.jpegIMG_3431.jpeg.64ff56939f782486ac06b89f7b4841a4.jpegIMG_3428.jpeg.8cc9fdaff7f7f67a86eb97e993614449.jpegIMG_3433.jpeg.c8c85e0ca3b5546bb7a1e4507e22f12f.jpegIMG_3429.jpeg.aef261b64253bbcc98ec8fbaa33f37d1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd be more concerned about how it brakes, and how the car is tied down on the trailer...are the slack chains under the front wheel supposed to be tie-downs?  The chains on the hitch aren't even attached.

Some people have absolutely zero common sense.

• Like 5

I was going to say something (not sure what) in defense of this guy, and his apparently stupid endeavor.

But, after noticing that there is no weight equalizing hitch, or weight distribution bars being used, even if the VW is just a kit car body mounted on a small pickup chassis, I doubt it is not a staged photo.

Anyone pulling a trailer, loaded with a show car, or whatever, surely understands that getting the trailer moving, on level ground, or on a downhill slope is the easy part.

Heck, a trailer, will roll down a hill without a tow vehicle being attached.

”Going” is one thing. “Stopping” is another, and I seriously doubt that, even a Chevy Luv or Ford Ranger, would be able to do that considering I see no trailer brake electrical connection either.

Jack

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Farmallregular said:

I'd be more concerned about how it brakes, and how the car is tied down on the trailer...are the slack chains under the front wheel supposed to be tie-downs?  The chains on the hitch aren't even attached.

Ah come on guys. He doesn't need hold downs, he has wood and concrete blocks to stop the wheels. Why would anyone need more? This reminds me of a CJ5 jeep I saw on the outer banks pulling a very large travel trailer. Just remember when you're out there on the road. Common sense is not part of the questions of a drivers test.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh one more thing concerning stopping power. When he hits the brakes hard, the MG whatever rolls forward causing the trailer jack to dig into the road and add stopping power. See, problem solved!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

When I first saw the pic, I thought 'what an idiot'. Looking closer I think I was being kind. I think the 4 sale sign is tied down better than the car! This guy should have the whole rig impounded on sight. What a danger to other drivers.

• Like 1

Nice touch with the Gooseneck, how he has taken the time to put some dowl in the 4" by 4" wood, so it stays safely centred to the tow hitch. Probably pushing the downward load limit though a touch.

If he had hung some tractor weights off the front bumper, would have been a smoother ride?🤔

I would hope most viewers would realise the fringe of reality these extreme towers live in.

• Like 1

I never would have seen this in the towing section. Lots easier and cheaper to hire my towing needs.

Although I might consider a permanently parked trailer to drive cars I have for sale onto. I see a lot of For Sale ads looking like fresh brought home on the trailer. Maybe they bring more money that way.

How's that TV show start? "Clear all highways! Clear all highways! Get ready for the Big Score,"

Honey, make sure the camera is charged. I'm getting this sucker on Facebook tonight!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Lee H said:

The originals were better at this. But he still needs to lose the whitewalls.

IMG_0808.jpeg

That would be un-realistic. Most all VW's in the USA at that time wore whitewalls. Anything in the fifties and early sixties without whitewalls was weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lee H said:

IMG_0808.jpeg

I bet a full propane tank on front the trailer would have made all the difference whether that '52 could pull it or not!!   I wonder if that's why its missing!

Craig

14 hours ago, Lee H said:

IMG_0808.jpeg

Did anyone notice what looks like an equalizer trailer hitch bar on the trailers A frame? Equalizer or not, I sure would like to see how and where that hitch is mounted to that bug. As far as it not having the propane tank, I think he just forgot to place it on the trailer for his photo. It's not a new bug judging from the rust and the added signal lights.

3 minutes ago, hook said:

As far as it not having the propane tank, I think he just forgot to place it on the trailer for his photo. 

A '52 put out an amazing 30 horsepower, while a '71 Super Beetle progressed to 60 hp.  I recall the '71 brochure stated 850 pounds towing capacity for a Super Beetle!

Craig.

42 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

A '52 put out an amazing 30 horsepower, while a '71 Super Beetle progressed to 60 hp.  I recall the '71 brochure stated 850 pounds towing capacity for a Super Beetle!

Craig.

Did you notice the terrain in the background? His thirty horses could pull his trailer on that flat surface, provided of course he didn't come across any highway lines!!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Give the guy some credit, he did beef up the tailgate support straps with some chain and S hooks!

I guess we'll have to give him even more credit for that carefully crafted support block under the middle of the tailgate with the fine whittled end fitting the ball bolt hole.!!!!!!!!!!!! Gee, I wonder if he had anything to do with the design of the Frances Scott Key bridge in Baltimore.

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Rod P said:

Nice touch with the Gooseneck, how he has taken the time to put some dowl in the 4" by 4" wood, so it stays safely centred to the tow hitch. Probably pushing the downward load limit though a touch.

I also see the heavy duty "S" hooks holding the tail gate up with a hole drilled in the sheet metal. At least they are hooked to a fair sized chain.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, hook said:

Did you notice the terrain in the background? His thirty horses could pull his trailer on that flat surface, provided of course he didn't come across any highway lines!!!!

If you can believe, a Type 2 van/Transporter of the same year with an adult passenger in every seat would probably come close to that Beetle/trailer combination!!

Craig

Come on guys, it was only a mile and a half from home. Trailers can be deceiving, however. I borrowed one from my neighbor last week to pick up my mower. It was a standard 16' flatbed wire trailer but the thing bucked and resisted being pulled the whole way. Around 55 mph the trailer started swaying and threatened to flip my truck. I made it there and back and mentioned my troubles to my neighbor; he laughed and said, yea, we hardly use that trailer anymore. Now you tell me!

• Like 4

The driver of the New Beetle Convertible is a serious contender for a Darwin Award. I could easily list over a dozen reasons why the driver might win the award but why waste the time and space here. I would not be surprised that the driver's insurance coverage is bare, state minimum, insurance as well. 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2024 at 12:13 AM, Farmallregular said:

Sadly, there’s nothing common about sense anymore. Getting rarer everyday. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 7:15 PM, kar3516 said:

I mentioned this yesterday on a thread.  Today I have pictures.  A late style Turbo Beetle pulling a 16’ steel utility trailer with a fiberglass MiGi MGTD replica.  Hitch was 2” off the ground.  Wonder how it steers…?

IMG_3432.jpeg.1cf6f53eea0f80769d337d1188cc5e7d.jpegIMG_3431.jpeg.64ff56939f782486ac06b89f7b4841a4.jpegIMG_3428.jpeg.8cc9fdaff7f7f67a86eb97e993614449.jpegIMG_3433.jpeg.c8c85e0ca3b5546bb7a1e4507e22f12f.jpegIMG_3429.jpeg.aef261b64253bbcc98ec8fbaa33f37d1.jpeg

Assuming this rig was operated on public roads, it serves as yet another and way too common example where the operator should not only have their driving privilege be promptly revoked, if not forever then at least for extended period and only re-instated after passing rigorous exams & tests of their mental capacities and driving/loading/towing/etc skills, but also get severely fined for endangering all those around them.

I could understand people getting away with this kind of stupidity in some 3rd world countries ...

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1