America's First Car to Exceed 100 MPH Is Headed to Auction

Reynard

The very first car to exceed 100 mph in the U.S. was a 1904 Napier Samson L48 with a 15-liter, six-cylinder gas engine under the hood. Driven by British mechanic Arthur Macdonald, the Napier set a world record for breaking the 100 mph barrier in January 1905, clocking in at 104.651 mph.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/america-s-first-car-to-exceed-100-mph-is-headed-to-auction-it-ll-fetch-over-1m/ar-BB1i5Dqc?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=1cb72454949f4359bbc34870311e1550&ei=89America's First Car to Exceed 100 MPH Is Headed to Auction. It'll Fetch Over $1M

America's First Car to Exceed 100 MPH Is Headed to Auction. It'll Fetch Over $1M

Just A Car Guy: the 1904 Napier Samson L48

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Someone should inform the geniuses at MSN that Napier is an English car...certainly not American and the 100 MPH run was in England.

You are partly right. According to Professor Google, the car is not American, but British. However, the speed record (104.65 mph) was set at Ormond Beach, Florida in 1905.

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/january-31-first-100-mph-car-ran-date-140455594.html

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

I didn't think of that. Chances are that in 1905 there was no flat, straight place in the UK where you could go that fast. Thanks!

Yes, there are. Ever heard of Pendine Sands in Wales, or Southport Beach in England?

But would the authorities have allowed their use for this purpose in 1905? There must have been some reason they shipped the car to the US. Was it the authenticating authority? Again, I wouldn't think the authority of the AAA would be any more significant than their English counterpart. Parsing words aside the article is poorly written if it implies to the general reader that the car was American. It certainly did to me and I knew it wasn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The title of the article and the photos captions are very deceiving. They do make one think that the car was from the US even though that is not directly stated in the article. Another example of lack of journalistic attention to detail on the internet IMO

• Like 2

Yet that information that is incorrect will be looked at from now on AS CORRECT and myth will then become fact.................

Even with the faster way to check facts(?) huge mistakes are made by confident know it all types. SAD

• Like 2

A better title would have been “First Car to Exceed 100 mph in America is Headed to Auction”. By using the possessive “America’s” implies the car was from the US. Simple English 101 stuff that any HS or college graduate should know

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm with CChinn and Walt with the poor syntax and that MSN is notorious for using click bait tactics aimed at drawing viewers by using "false or partly false" headings to attract hits. Their heading in this case "America's First Car to Exceed 100 MPH Is Headed to Auction. It'll Fetch Over $1M", is clearly false, and they may know as much (in which case it is bad journalism) or they may not know as much (in which case it is bad journalism). Yes, one can go on and read the whole article and cipher between the lines for the facts, but that should never be a reader's role. A reader should simply be able to read the headline and the subsequent text and never have to solve a puzzle. Good journalism should never leave the reader to do the work. 

So much of this poor journalism goes on today, including within the major cable media, where half truths are dressed up as truth, false information dressed up as facts, and gullible audiences often are left to accept fiction as fact. So sad.

As for the Napier, great car, and an even great brave driver!

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Ed, when you get back to this era many of them are "floor sweepings ". But often resurrected in the early post war era when interest in these early machines saw a big resurgence. Not much different than over here in North America. Look at how many early racers / early Indy cars etc. here in North America fell on very hard times during the later 1920's and the depression, were hacked up and re used as fairgrounds racers . And were finally saved and brought back to something resembling their original form in the first decade or so of the post war era. A very small percentage remained intact after their racing days, but most seem to have a " floor sweepings " phase in their history.

1 hour ago, Gunsmoke said:

Good journalism should never leave the reader to do the work.

THANK YOU, well stated. An author, journalist, writer etc.  should provide a clear picture with words and information that is concise, accurate, and a "good read".

My own point of view is that it should also include the attitude, atmosphere of that particular era - gives a reader more perspective.

Anything at 100 mph in the era pre 1920 was incredible and  also somewhat to be feared as how did it stop going 100 mph? History can just be so much more interesting ( and thus remembered) if it is presented in such a way to make the reader have a "wow" moment or perhaps smile because they now know something they didn't before.

It comes down to sharing - do it well and we all can benefit

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Not just stopping. The tires were the #1 hazard to high speeds in that era. Many simply flew to pieces at high speed. Tires have come so far over the decades.

Funny you should mention…According to The Old Motor, that car lost a tire during the record run. This picture was taken right after the run.

Those men were made of sterner stuff than I.

Edit, this picture was taken after a different race in 1906. Still…

IMG_0622.jpeg

Edited by Lee H (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

Is it a real car, or is it floor sweepings? For some reason I can't remember.

If it is the car I am thinking of, someone in Australia found most of the engine which had last been used in a speed boat. They built up a car from that, using the original blueprints.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

The engine is original and the rest is a very accurate recreation made using factory drawings. It was built by Bob Chamberlain who had a successful Australian tractor manufacturing business. Chamberlain Tractors was acquired and folded into a well-known American tractor company in the 70s/80s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamberlain_Tractors

https://motor.history.sa.gov.au/chamberlain-8/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/11/2024 at 7:58 AM, CChinn said:

. Simple English 101 stuff that any HS or college graduate should know

Oh...do they still teach English?  Sometimes you'd never know it.

"Journalism? I don't gotta show you no stinkin' journalism! ...I'm a blogger!

Edited by Reynard (see edit history)

Don't get me going! Peter G would ban me for sure? But a few things.

My mother was a journalism major, graduated in 1950. Me? School, teachers, and I never got along very well, so although I went to college to learn subjects I wanted to take, I never declared a major or got any degree. Through many of the past thirty years, my mother and I would discuss the sad state of journalism "today".

While I always appreciate people sharing links to interesting articles about our collector and historic automobiles? I rarely ever follow any link with the "msn" in its address! Way too many of them have been so poorly written, often so incorrect, that number one they are pointless, and number two they are often so egregiously in error that they have no value whatsoever, not even as entertainment!

How anybody could in any way be proud of writing such garbage is beyond me!

On 2/11/2024 at 1:00 PM, DFeeney said:

The great arrogance of the present is to forget the intelligence of the past.

DF, I have said similar things hundreds of times myself, but never quite so eloquently. I may need to memorize that line and quote it myself. Any permission needed or credit to give?

On 2/11/2024 at 9:07 AM, Gunsmoke said:

Good journalism should never leave the reader to do the work. 

So much of this poor journalism goes on today, including within the major cable media, where half truths are dressed up as truth, false information dressed up as facts, and gullible audiences often are left to accept fiction as fact. So sad.

Truer words were never said.

The survival of civilization is wholly dependent upon language and communication! One should wonder about anyone that thinks a breakdown in language is acceptable.

On to much more interesting things! That Napier is incredible! Floor sweepings or not. The sad fact of early racing cars is that most did not last long without major changes, engine swaps, or being wrecked. With a few exceptions like Locomobile "Old 16", very few truly original racing cars actually survive intact. The vast majority of significant racing cars were "on-off" cars to begin with. Rebuilding them from a few remnants is a massive undertaking as so much of it has to be made from scratch.

I love a car like this one is said to be, resurrected from a few original major parts to as close to original as can be reasonably done. 

I myself have resurrected a few model T speedsters or racing cars from what I willingly accept the term "floor sweepings", I used as many original era speedster and racing car pieces as I could. I made them close to era correct in general design, materials, and methods as I could. I still have a couple project piles of era pieces that maybe I can resurrect another one or two? How else can one really enjoy the feel of racing of that era? How else can many people be able to see such cars in action?

Bringing back era racing cars is a subject I could go on about for hours!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

My mother was a journalism major, graduated in 1950. Me? School, teachers, and I never got along very well, so although I went to college to learn subjects I wanted to take, I never declared a major or got any degree. Through many of the past thirty years, my mother and I would discuss the sad state of journalism "today".

While I always appreciate people sharing links to interesting articles about our collector and historic automobiles? I rarely ever follow any link with the "msn" in its address! Way too many of them have been so poorly written, often so incorrect, that number one they are pointless, and number two they are often so egregiously in error that they have no value whatsoever, not even as entertainment!

How anybody could in any way be proud of writing such garbage is beyond me!

It is not limited to 'journalism' where word is printed to paper.  I have attended many seminars and lectures, and in a group with a supposedly knowledgeable curator, etc.  They are just as guilty for spreading misinformation as a journalist.  Only difference is one has the opportunity to correct them while they are present, which I feel is important in this day and age where such misinformation spreads so fast around the world.

Anyone with experience should know by now, MSN articles are simply "clickbait", and strikes up posts and conversations such as this, and not much else!

Craig

• Like 3

Sadly, Hemmings Daily blog today started with an item "America's first car to exceed 100 mph is headed to auction". This is so often the sad result of one uninformed pseudo journalist, copying the mistakes of another equally uninformed pseudo journalist. Research is a long forgotten practice amongst these phonies, when it comes to this old car stuff, they should stick to their digging dirt and slinging mud. GRRR. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The quote is not mine.  I also read it and find it  useful   when  used in a  relevant discussion.   I never quite had a good grasp on the correct use of  American grammar.   I grew up in the poor working end of town and  not to be bragging , became tri-lingual .  I speak English , Hillbilly and Jive.   I worked in the "Trades" and never found a person I could'nt talk to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2024 at 12:07 PM, edinmass said:

“This fabulous recreation” which means it might not even be floor sweepings from the original. Granted there’s a lot of talent involved in recreation and it looks pretty awesome…

IMG_1214.jpeg.588bb62ca327b99e85085a20bbe3dbe2.jpeg

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Good writing and spelling is becoming a very lost art.  My wife is my proof reader as she is beyond excellent with word spelling.  It is amazing the number of times she catches misspelled words on TV, bill boards, and advertising copy.   Good grammar and spelling is becoming a lost art.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Good writing and spelling is becoming a very lost art.  My wife is my proof reader as she is beyond excellent with word spelling.  It is amazing the number of times she catches misspelled words on TV, bill boards, and advertising copy.   Good grammar and spelling is becoming a lost art.

It starts at an early age when marketers intentionally use misspelling to gain attention to their product targeted to young audiences:  Lite Brite | BasicFun!

Craig

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Remember the old commercials that said "How do you spell relief? R O L A I D S" 

When the elementary kids at the time were asked to spell relief they spelled ROLAIDS.

Now, its two queers on a skateboard.

Craig

This is the best summary I could find about this famous car and the Florida event and it's subsequent re-creation. Sounds well researched, so guessing it about covers anyone's questions. While acknowledging the current car's "re-creation"  nature, I think it is wonderful that Mr Chamberlain back some 75 years ago had the insight to acquire the original engine, and the patience and effort to extensively research the car's chassis and engineering. He also had the means (money and factory) to build a chassis and the other components that would be a suitable "habitat"(their words) for the old engine. Will be interesting to see what it brings at auction and whether it wil eventually be displayed for public viewing, and occasionally run in vintage events.    

DESCRIPTION
Chassis number 1 of 1 Engine number L48 Motor The Edwardian Giant, 1904 Napier L48 ‘Samson’ was one of the most successful racing cars of its era setting many speed records and winning many races. In 1905 at Daytona Beach, Florida, USA it set the World Land Speed Record of 104.65 mph. It was the world’s first successful six-cylinder engine racing car an important point to note in that it led to the production of six-cylinder engine road going cars. This incredibly important and impressive car has about 74 metres of copper tube wrapped around a copper and aluminium dome. In 1906 it also established a women’s world land speed record when Dorothy Levitt, “the fastest girl on earth” drove it at 90.88 mph over a flying kilometre at the Blackpool Motor Race Meeting, UK. The record-breaking and revolutionary six-cylinder engine of the Napier L48 was replaced with a larger engine in 1907 (and the tired original chassis then broken up and disposed of in 1908) and the original engine was no longer needed. In 1912, the industrial ceramic manufacturers from Melbourne, Fred and Percy Cornwell, who loved fast cars and boats, took delivery of the engine. It was shoe-horned into a state-of-the-art racing-boat they had commissioned. The lightweight, 15 litre engine powered Nautilus 2 to many race wins including the Motorboat Championship of Australia, the E.C. Griffiths Cup in 1914 and 1915 (reportedly reaching an incredible speed of 137kph). The Napier L48 engine remained in a corner of the Cornwell brothers’ factory until discovered in 1950 by Bob Chamberlain, the wealthy Australian industrialist. Chamberlain purchased the engine, originally with the idea of cleaning it up and displaying it but changed his mind. He resolved to recreate the Napier L48 car around the original engine using the considerable resources of his tractor manufacturing factories. After much forensic work and extensive research and the recreation of many parts to rebuild the car, the restored engine was run for the first time in July 1982. The Napier L48 nicknamed Samson attracted worldwide interest when it was completed. Few recreations of Edwardian racing cars had been made and none of the quality of the Chamberlain car. Accomplished motor sport journalist Bill Boddy wrote in Motor Sport magazine in 1988: “Whether or not you approve of the modern reconstruction of old cars, you must concede that this is the recreation of the decade. Modifications made were in keeping with the ethics of a highly experienced engineer intent on providing a habitat for a decidedly historic engine, and had the task not been undertaken there would now be no 1904 Napier L48.” It was sold in April 1993 as part of Bob Chamberlain’s estate at a Sotheby’s auction in Melbourne to Peter Briggs for display at the York Motor Museum in Western Australia. The car has subsequently raced and won at the Goodwood Festival of Speed hill climb in the UK and was a class winner at the celebrated Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance winning the Automobile Quarterly prize for the most historically significant car at the event. It is exhibited by Mr Briggs at the Sydney Harbour Concours in March 2022 and offered for sale to a new custodian.
  • Thanks 1

"Recreations" can be an interesting, and sometimes heated, debate. Like the more recent recreation of the "Beast of Turin" racing car, well done and basically accurate recreations allow us and millions of other people to see, hear, and feel the awesome power of a bygone era! Without them, such displays would be virtually impossible. As long as we can be clear about what is and what is not original or recreation? I am all for them. As long as a serious effort is made to do them properly.

• Like 2