Packard Twelve Club Sedan at Auction

pkhammer

3 hours ago, 63RedBrier said:

Always buy a new vehicle by negotiating on the price and NOT by the monthly payment!  If you need to make monthly payments, then look for the best interest rate!

Absolutely true.  NEVER tell a salesman how much you can afford on a monthly payment because they will adjust the gross to fit your payment.

It never ceases to amaze me how people buy everything on the price of the item, but not a car, boat, house.  Crazy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jeff_a said:

A lot of rational statements about this 1934 Packard; yes a man or woman with a few thousand to buy it who's too starry-eyed to realize how many $10,000 jobs there are to get it in good shape is in for a disappointment, but there are a LOT pf people who could make a few phone calls to come up with the money for a turn-key restoration. In 2007 somebody wrote a $577,500 check for a Vega, and in 2012 two old boys paid $2,000,000 for some slippers Judy Garland wore for a few hours. 

Are we talking a Lockeed Vega or a Facel Vega ?

I can't imagine any Chevy Vega being worth even a small fraction of $577,500.00 so I assumed they must of been talking about one of the others. I doubt even " Grumpy's Toy " would hit this sort of a price. Even  the best Facel 2 in the world would have a hard time achieving  that sort of a sales price.

Bidding at $8,600.00 with 24 hours to go. It has surpassed my guess of final sale price. Matt brings up an excellent point above that altogether, this car holds $15-$20k in parts alone. Is there a market for them? Apparently so.

I'm a parts seller and the car is close to home but I believe I'll let somebody else deal with this one. My days of parting out cars are pretty much behind me.

• Like 1

I think the parts that are salable on this car are much less than most people think. I have cut up close to 25 Pierce Arrows. Rusty junk doesn’t bring all the money. Example…Matt had the carb at 2500-3500. 1934 is the small carb……I have six available, clean and guaranteed good……..for 2k each, any takers? I have five of the 35-39 big ones that also go on Duesenbergs for 2700 each………satisfaction guaranteed. 

Bumpers are junk…..too pitted and rusty. Gauges are not hard to find…….I bought a 34 V-12 clock that runs for 250 bucks recently. Wheels are trash, along with most other things. Buy the car, haul/ship it…..and NO ONE wants to move a POS with flat tires………., disassemble, sort, inventory, list for sale, there is no money in that car cutting it up. Having done two 1934 V-12 Packards fairly recently, parts have not been an issue…….everyone who has stuff is looking to unload from an age/market place point of view. A few trinkets will always sell……..90 to 95 percent of that car is wall art or infinity shelf stock.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Ed (and others), as example, or perhaps as a counter example, if we just look at one part like the V12's heads, how would one go about restoring those? What  I mean is regarding the pitting. On the fenders which look solid, but are pitted, I know they can be ground down, primed and would then get a skim coat of filler. How can the heads tolerate that with the temps involved? Would a restorer have to repaint them and accept the pitted surface under fresh paint, attempt to grind the surface between the bolt tabs, or just not use them? This is an important thought exercise given the amount of surface rust on this one. 

On 2/7/2024 at 7:36 AM, edinmass said:

but when finished it is still a car that was absolutely junk on wheels.

Hey, quit talking about my cars!🤣

❄️☃️❄️☃️☃️🍾

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, jeff_a said:

2007 Barrett-Jackson auction. Grumpy Jenkins' Chevrolet drag car, non-original motor, but nice paint, though!

I should have known. But the price does surprise me, I would have guessed 1/2 or less. if any Chevy Vega was worth a ton of money it would have to be this one. I wonder what the Camaro would bring ? Even more iconic to those of us growing up back in the early 1970's.

North of $9,000.00 with 6 1/2 hours to go. I probably won't see this auction conclude as I will likely be at Texas Roadhouse scarfing down a filet mignon and a Texas tea to celebrate my newest acquisition, and no, I'm not talking about this Packard!! 🤑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

North of $9,000.00 with 6 1/2 hours to go. I probably won't see this auction conclude as I will likely be at Texas Roadhouse scarfing down a filet mignon and a Texas tea to celebrate my newest acquisition, and no, I'm not talking about this Packard!! 🤑

Congrats on your new acquisition!  I'm still guessing 14K, be interesting to see where it ends up.  And no, I'm not bidding.

49 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Congrats on your new acquisition!  I'm still guessing 14K, be interesting to see where it ends up.  And no, I'm not bidding.

I would like to make additional comments, but the warning points are piling up........😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Im a meat and potato kind of guy. I have been to some of the finest steak houses in the country. For my money the filet at Texas RH cant be beat! My mouth started watering as soon as I read this! Today is my 60th and planning on going to half price burger night at the local BBQ place, but TRH sounds much better, LOL.

• Like 3

Just now, TAKerry said:

Im a meat and potato kind of guy. I have been to some of the finest steak houses in the country. For my money the filet at Texas RH cant be beat! My mouth started watering as soon as I read this! Today is my 60th and planning on going to half price burger night at the local BBQ place, but TRH sounds much better, LOL.

And it probably doesn't cost a whole lot more than a meal at Mickey-D's these days!!

Craig

• Like 3

Thank You! I could def. be there in time for dinner, and thanks so much for the invite😄 Unfortunately, my wife is feeling a bit under the weather and I doubt I would earn any brownie points if I up and left for a few hours! She probably would not let me take my planned trip to the convention on Saturday. I do not drink but I will toast a coke to you from the Smokehouse!

How far are you from Winchester? My brother went to school there. Just about 3 hrs from my doorstep.

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Thank You! I could def. be there in time for dinner, and thanks so much for the invite😄 Unfortunately, my wife is feeling a bit under the weather and I doubt I would earn any brownie points if I up and left for a few hours! She probably would not let me take my planned trip to the convention on Saturday. I do not drink but I will toast a coke to you from the Smokehouse!

How far are you from Winchester? My brother went to school there. Just about 3 hrs from my doorstep.

1 hour or so south of Winchester straight down I-81. Maybe next time! Plan to bring the T/A. After a couple Texas Teas I think a couple smoky burnouts in the street might be in order. I'll have my Wife bring bail money. I may be nearly 61 but mentally I'm still a juvenile! 🤪

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pkhammer said:

Auction ended after several extensions. $20,004.00 not including buyers premium or taxes! 

Or the divorce lawyer when the buyers spouse sees/smells what they just dragged home!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm still figuring someone just bought some badly needed parts, at least I hope that is the case. I would've never guessed north of $20k though. WOW!! Proves the old adage to be true though, one man's junk................

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, dalef62 said:

Does anyone know what it would cost to ship a car from VA to Pitts. PA?

It's about 267 miles one way from here to Pittsburg. What are transporters getting now per mile? I can recommend one local guy that hauled a couple of cars for me last year.

Edited by pkhammer
added a sentence. (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, kar3516 said:

Including the commission and sales tax I missed by $10,000 on my estimated sales price.  It was an amazing sale for the seller IMO

The engine is made of unobtainium. That’s where the money is.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

The engine is made of unobtainium. That’s where the money is.

I bought a 37 Packard V12 touring sedan with an engine that rolls for the same reason.  Definitely not as rare as the 33 but still…

The car was indeed purchased by a forum member that I shall not identify. He contacted me since he found out I am local and asked if I might be available to help move/load the car which I told him I would be glad to help in any way possible. I think the final price surprised everyone including the buyer but he commented to me that "this car will make it possible to make my car complete". I'm happy that a nice guy won the auction and the parts will enable another car to live on.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, pkhammer said:

The car was indeed purchased by a forum member that I shall not identify. He contacted me since he found out I am local and asked if I might be available to help move/load the car which I told him I would be glad to help in any way possible. I think the final price surprised everyone including the buyer but he commented to me that "this car will make it possible to make my car complete". I'm happy that a nice guy won the auction and the parts will enable another car to live on.

Finishing a rare car was the only reason this car would top out over 5k. That said, at 25K all in, I would buy a running and driving car to use for parts instead.  Nothing wrong if you have money to burn..........

The great thing about a parts car is that it is the most compact way to store parts. Better yet, you know EXACTLY where everything is when you need it.

I understand the purchase price and it's right in line with what I expected. There's a lot of unobtainium in there and 1934 Packards are the very top of the food chain. Whomever bought it knew exactly what he was doing and surely doesn't have any regrets. I'd be spiking the football if it was full of stuff I needed for my car.

I bought this 1941 Buick Limited parts car and it paid for itself with just a dome light lens, a fog light switch, and a window crank escutcheon. Everything else is just icing on the cake. I'm sure the new owner of this Packard feels the same.

20220822_160637a.jpg.a9ab9d6b3bacd241efc395ca30f5b835.jpg

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

The great thing about a parts car is that it is the most compact way to store parts. Better yet, you know EXACTLY where everything is when you need it.

I understand the purchase price and it's right in line with what I expected. 

I bought this 1941 Buick Limited parts car and it paid for itself with just a dome light lens, a fog light switch, and a window crank escutcheon. Everything else is just icing on the cake. I'm sure the new owner of this Packard feels the same.

I imagine that car would be more difficult to obtain than a restored one that starts & stops that your business sells on a regular basis.  Unless one has a line-of-credit, I cannot expect one having the ability to get a bank loan for that amount for what this project/parts car sold for.  

Craig