Packard Twelve Club Sedan at Auction

pkhammer

I made a 200 mile round trip to bring this "stripped" and abandoned parts car home a few years back. I had only $700 tied up in it. I keep a spreadsheet on stuff I sell. It generated $4,600 in parts sales after being stripped by the first guy. It is not a lot of money by many standards but I was happy. I still have two pieces left. One of the sales was the ten lug nuts from the rear wheels, simple parts but made in Dearborn. That could mean something.

I bought a couple cups of afternoon coffee for a friend who had very little money. He said I buy junk.

010.JPG.d25ba6c99141b03905a5892c5e947e4d.JPG

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, marc1122 said:

If you need to get a loan to buy the car in the auction . You probably need a cheaper more realistic hobby 

I will agree with that.  I've NEVER taken out a loan of any kind to fund my hobbies, vintage vehicles or otherwise, but at these auctions, there is all kinds of advertising for loans to purchase one.

Craig

15 hours ago, 3macboys said:

Or the divorce lawyer when the buyers spouse sees/smells what they just dragged home!

A friend from our local Buick chapter and his wife stopped by our house one day. My wife and I walked out to the garage with them so he could see the new acquisition.

0088.jpg.f9d79879eb6329d1484502da503f2c58.jpg

After they left my wife told me that his wife had asked her "You let him buy that?" My wife asked "What did she mean?" I told her not to even think about it. I did take her out to dinner and got her something nice when I sold it.

I am highly entertained by many topics of this nature.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 60FlatTop said:

My wife and I walked out to the garage with them so he could see the new acquisition.

After they left my wife told me that his wife had asked her "You let him buy that?" My wife asked "What did she mean?" I told her not to even think about it. I did take her out to dinner and got her something nice when I sold it.

I'm fortunate I don't have that hurdle in my life.  No wife to have to explain things to when I bring something like that home.

Craig

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

A friend from our local Buick chapter and his wife stopped by our house one day. My wife and I walked out to the garage with them so he could see the new acquisition.

Unfortunately these days a great many of us can't even afford to buy one in that condition , let alone restore it. Prices on E types just out of this world.

3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I'm fortunate I don't have that hurdle in my life.  No wife to have to explain things to when I bring something like that home.

Craig

The only thing my Wife would complain about me dragging home would be another woman. She seems to be fine with anything else. I'm a lucky guy.

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

On 2/8/2024 at 8:22 PM, pkhammer said:

The car was indeed purchased by a forum member that I shall not identify. He contacted me since he found out I am local and asked if I might be available to help move/load the car which I told him I would be glad to help in any way possible. I think the final price surprised everyone including the buyer but he commented to me that "this car will make it possible to make my car complete". I'm happy that a nice guy won the auction and the parts will enable another car to live on.

This right here is what is the heart of this hobby - I have no idea if your post is what allowed the other member to find this car, but this is what happens time and again that we help each other out.  And the fact that you've brought it full circle by offering to pick it up is icing on the cake!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 3macboys said:

This right here is what is the heart of this hobby - I have no idea if your post is what allowed the other member to find this car, but this is what happens time and again that we help each other out.  And the fact that you've brought it full circle by offering to pick it up is icing on the cake!  

The fact is I really enjoy helping others, whether it be providing a part that someone really needs or simply lending a hand. Yes, I do profit some from the parts I buy and sell but at the end of the day it's not about the money, it's about helping one another out. I have certainly benefitted plenty from my fellow forum members.

• Like 10

Despite Ed's best efforts in getting the value of this car down to $500, I am not at all surprised at the price this brought. As I mentioned on page one

Steering wheel/ horn button $2,000.

Instruments $2,000.

Fuel pump, $2,000. 

Engine $12,000

Misc bits/pieces body parts $5,000

Again... Packard prices demand at least twice the amount of money as Pierce-Arrow parts... maybe three times the price of Lincoln parts. The buyer knows full well the value of a complete parts car. Other than missing headlight/taillight lenses, this car was more complete than many rollers I've seen.

Oh, and the piston on the front seat did not belong to this car.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

The buyer knows full well the value of a complete parts car.

I have always been told I paid too much for stuff I buy, usually in a diner having coffee. When the waitress comes and asks "Separate checks?' The appraiser will look away distractedly, sometimes mumble to themself as I say "Both is fine".

I also notice that that reference group carries their folding money with the largest bill showing.

It's subtle stuff but you begin to see a pattern.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 2/7/2024 at 5:42 AM, 8E45E said:

That's a huge reason we see 'restomods'; to fix most of the shortcomings of the original product.  Not that I always agree with it, but it can make an outdated, substandard vehicle perform adequately in today's traffic.

Craig

So you think a Packard Twelve is a "substandard vehicle"....suggesting it cant perform adequately in today's traffic...eh?    My recommendation for people who are thinking of letting their envy get the best of their sense of manners......when you are clueless,  dont advertise it!

packard 34.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Packard enthus. said:

So you think a Packard Twelve is a "substandard vehicle"....suggesting it cant perform adequately in today's traffic...eh?    My recommendation for people who are thinking of letting their envy get the best of their sense of manners......when you are clueless,  dont advertise it!

packard 34.jpg

I have no doubt that a Packard or Duesenburg, Cadillac, Rolls Royce etc. were well built cars. Inferior and substandard are 2 different ideas. Inferior I would say far from that. Substandard by today, yes. I have to admit the last time I rode in a Packard was 1970 and I was 6 years old. But there is no car made before about 1980 that I would drive the Balt/DC corider on I95 during rush hour. I dont even like driving my new f150!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, TAKerry said:. I dont even like driving my new f150!

That’s because your F150 has substandard handling and braking by modern levels. 

To me a « restomod” (it’s mostly mod with little resto) is a collection of parts put together without the benefit of an engineering department. If you like it, fine, but there’s no history left in it

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Packard enthus. said:

packard 34.jpg

I'm seeing the beautiful, original HOMES owners of these cars lived in back then getting torn down here, and McMansions in their place.   Were they "substandard" because they don't have central a/c, a dishwasher, icemaker fridge, separate family room and 6 bathrooms, including a 4-piece ensuite with a $14.K Kohler toilet of the master bedroom? 

To answer your question, NO!    I never singled out Packard, but some cannot live without a/c, cruise control, power seats with infinite adjustment, etc., which one often sees in a restomod.   For the past 40 years, I've driven my Studebaker across the country to several meets during the summer, with NO air conditioning, or cruise control.  Maybe you'll be fortunate enough to get 'stuck' behind me in your Packard on a single lane road with my Studebaker Diesel which is governed to a top speed of 50mph!

Craig 

On 2/12/2024 at 9:52 AM, West Peterson said:

Despite Ed's best efforts in getting the value of this car down to $500, I am not at all surprised at the price this brought. As I mentioned on page one

Steering wheel/ horn button $2,000.

Instruments $2,000.

Fuel pump, $2,000. 

Engine $12,000

Misc bits/pieces body parts $5,000

Again... Packard prices demand at least twice the amount of money as Pierce-Arrow parts... maybe three times the price of Lincoln parts. The buyer knows full well the value of a complete parts car. Other than missing headlight/taillight lenses, this car was more complete than many rollers I've seen.

Oh, and the piston on the front seat did not belong to this car.

I would say the prices you have are over inflated on a rusty hulk. A nice barn find probably. That said, I just bought a 34 Packard 12 clock in very nice condition for 200 bucks. Things are much softer now. The price went high as a person bought it to finish a project.....so I can understand it to a certain degree..........as far as its value as a project car....I stand by my comments. I know the new owner is here, and do not wish to offend. That's the great thing about a free and open market. I would like to see his car he bought this for.........

52 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I have no doubt that a Packard or Duesenburg, Cadillac, Rolls Royce etc. were well built cars. Inferior and substandard are 2 different ideas. Inferior I would say far from that. Substandard by today, yes. I have to admit the last time I rode in a Packard was 1970 and I was 6 years old. But there is no car made before about 1980 that I would drive the Balt/DC corrider on I95 during rush hour. I don't even like driving my new f150!

I agree with this, considering vintage vehicles are a 'finite' commodity.  It is sometimes not worth the risk driving one in those kind of conditions, especially with drivers being so distracted these days.  We lost one of our longstanding members in the Brighton Run becuse of a driver on a cell phone:  Lorry driver 'was using his mobile phone' when he killed Canadian oil millionaire and injured wife | Daily Mail Online

Craig

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

To me a « restomod” (it’s mostly mod with little resto) is a collection of parts put together without the benefit of an engineering department. If you like it, fine, but there’s no history left in it

I've seen some very clever and well thought out 'restomods', where one needs to do a double-take that it actually is one.   Those who care will take the time to carefully conceal modern stereos (or convert the original AM radio to AM/FM), a/c vents, and other modern comforts.  Many aftermarket vendors cater to that market; an example, power window switches that use the original window crank.  Nu-Cranks switches - the original look but convenience of power (nu-relics.com)

Craig

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 10:01 AM, 60FlatTop said:

That reminds of the of time I was in my insurance provider's office. I was talking to the Secretary about something to do with a project in my garage. She's said, "if you were my husband, I would never let you junk up my garage". I said, "don't worry, I would never marry you". That pretty much ended that conversation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

2 hours ago, drhach said:

insurance provider's office. I was talking to the Secretary

Ever notice how often this appears at the insurance office. Same hair, same, glasses, same age, same expression.

I said "Let's get this straight. You work for me. I don't work for you."

Yeah, I know who you are writing about.

image.jpeg.0d0daa93c5e80b49a6967ba4bf47bb51.jpeg

• Haha 2

The gentleman who lost his life in the London to Brighton run was more responsible or distracted than the driver who hit him.

The Knox driver did not follow directions,drove on to a high speed freeway probably not doing much over 10MPH and got hit.

Agreed there are a lot of idiots behind the wheel these days

Having had a great number of "resto-mod" and other hot-rod type cars pass through my hands, I can say that I will take ancient factory engineering over "some guy built it in his garage using modern parts" 10 times out of 10. It is a mistake to believe that just because we have 80 years of technology on our side that we are somehow smarter than the men who built these cars. The questionable engineering inherent in any home build, no matter how beautiful, should give anyone pause. It just isn't the same.

Resto-mods are also boring as hell. Everyone gets all excited that it's going to be something special when they cut up a Packard, but when it's done and drives like a 1985 Chevy Caprice they are inevitably disappointed. There's a reason they're all for sale all the time. Ever seen one with high miles?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Maybe you'll be fortunate enough to get 'stuck' behind me in your Packard on a single lane road with my Studebaker Diesel which is governed to a top speed of 50mph!  Craig 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's get this out in front...LIFE IS UNFAIR!   IT ISN'T MY FAULT SO DONT BLAME ME!   Yeah...you may well feel a touch of envy if I am "fortunate enough" to get stuck behind you in your "ordinary man's" car.....as I blast by you at nearly twice your speed  ( I don't feel comfortable, given my tires are now about 5 years old....taking my Packard Twelve much above 90). 

No question about it - it is decidedly unfair that so few folks have a clue what the big "super cars" of the pre-war era could do; how superior they are to the "ordinary man's" cars of that time.  By the mid 1930's Pierce Arrows had over-drive...a Marmon V-16 or Dusie...?  C'mon, man - be a courteous driver & stay the hell out of our way!

Most, if not all, of the big "super-cars" of that era had power brakes - drums half again larger in diameter than the "ordinary man" cars.  Cooling systems?  Water bags were a "hot" item at gas stations in that era,  but you sure as heck dont need one on a "super car".   

How fast are the 'super cars".?  Well...bone stock, the ones that did not have some kind of over-drive were crippled with absurdly low (numerically high) final drive ratios.  So yes, I cheated in this respect - my otherwise "bone stock" Packard Twelve has a 3.23 final drive ratio.  How fast COULD it go? How fast COULD a Pierce Arrow V-12 go...?  What we do know is how fast they can stop.  (again, proper maintainence is the key....with the correct brake lining)..those things can do a "feathered" wheels-locked stop at ANY speed.

So just how fast is fast?   We know that for the introduction of the so-called "Twin Six" in late 1931,  Packard took a otherwise bone-stock new one out on their test track, and proved "PACKARD BEATS A GOLF BALL".  The time clocked the golf ball at 122...the Twelve (o.k...for that year only, was called the "Twin Six")....at 124. (yeah...Packard cheated...that thing was "high geared" with a left-over differential from their earlier "Speedster" series...!

So we can agree that life isn't fair - take today...for example...on a hot day in modern traffic,  is that guy in the $100,000. car of today, any more comfortable with his air conditioner on, than my wife and I in our Toyota RAV4?

Packard introduced "factory air" in late '39 for 1940 production. Who, who actually knows what they are talking about...would doubt that a '40 Packard equipped with their then-new "356" & overdrive would have any problem keeping up with modern traffic?

The key is proper maintainence.   As others have pointed out,  the cost and skill to bring back into service one of those pre-war era "super cars" is a whole different problem than just overhauling an "ordinary man" car like a "junior" series Packard...or Ford...or Buick...or whatever. How many modern shops would have a CLUE...for example..of how to remove and service the "lifters" out of a Packard Twelve....!    

Bottom line....life- isn't fair...there is always someone who has something vastly superior to what you are familiar with.  Accept it....and dont make a point out of showing either your envy...or your ignorance...or both!

PACKARD wedge comb..jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

1947 - 1959 Chevy / GMC Trucki will take a complete new DOT approved hot rod chassis for a 1949 Chevy truck that rides and handles like a corvette anyday for a  traveling classic........for a truck that is not kept as an original.....

I think if you want something to drive like a new car, then buy a new car.   Part of the appeal of an older car is the complete experience of its esthetics and its driving.

Also,  I struggle with how to say this and not offend people, but 95% of the "Street Rods" I see (not Hot Rods) are really stupid looking.   I understand the owner's don't feel that way.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

First of all do you want a truck or a car ? A question both for arcticbuicks and everyone at large. Yes, with a chassis like this you can turn an old work vehicle into something like a Corvette. But don't expect it to do any truck work with it.

My own take on this is aimed more at mid 1960's - very early 1970's  Ford trucks. Because they are the ones I like and own.

Just the standard cab, long box, 2 WD. trucks like probably 80 % of the ones out there. And yes, I own them to do truck work, not to show up at the odd cars and coffee get togethers.

So these trucks as built have two short comings. The brakes, as 99% of the time I drive one I am pulling a trailer, and the power steering . The old style hydraulic ram style that is what these trucks came with. 

Ford way back in the early 1970's realized both these things were seriously inadequate for the driving conditions of the time. So for the 1973 model year brought out the much improved " dent side " trucks. Good disk brakes, and a GM sourced Saginaw power steering box. Also I use even newer one piece 16 inch wheels for obvious reasons to anyone who has experience with split rims. But just standard O.E.M. wheels, nothing aftermarket.

Both my 1966 Mercury and my 1969 Ford are going to end up on circa 1975 frames. It is a near bolt on , and makes it possible to use both my older trucks as work trucks in the 21 st century. I can't possibly afford a new truck, but for what I do my 50 + year old trucks plus a bit of slightly newer engineering will get the job done . And at a cost of 1/10 or less than a new truck.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

I would say the prices you have are over inflated on a rusty hulk. A nice barn find probably. That said, I just bought a 34 Packard 12 clock in very nice condition for 200 bucks.

I find bargains, too. Plus, I know for fact that if I buy a Packard part at a certain price, it MUST be worth more, because I'm cheap!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

......but there are some really stupid looking original factory cars as well.......

Thankfully the majority of those cars are limited to the mid-to-late 1970's.

Craig

34 minutes ago, Packard enthus. said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's get this out in front...LIFE IS UNFAIR!   IT ISN'T MY FAULT SO DONT BLAME ME!   Yeah...you may well feel a touch of envy if I am "fortunate enough" to get stuck behind you in your "ordinary man's" car.....as I blast by you at nearly twice your speed  ( I don't feel comfortable, given my tires are now about 5 years old....taking my Packard Twelve much above 90). 

Bottom line....life- isn't fair...there is always someone who has something vastly superior to what you are familiar with.  Accept it....and dont make a point out of showing either your envy...or your ignorance...or both!

Even if you 'blast by me at 90 mph' in your Packard, I won't trade my Studebaker Diesel for anything else!!    I hope you're not envious of me because I have a vintage Big Rig that commands attention at a show because its longer and louder than your Packard!

Craig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The most telling conversation I ever had about these Full Classic resto-mods was with a guy at the Cadillac national meet a few years ago. He and a buddy had each built their own resto-mods out of mid-30s Cadillac sedans, one of which was formerly a V12. They were pretty much the same car, one a '33 or '34 and the other a '36. Lots of money spent, and ostensibly well done. Nice interiors, Chevy big block power, all the luxury and comfort conveniences. Essentially, as good as such things can be.

As I was looking at one of them, I asked the guy how does it drive? "Just like my new Dodge 3/4-ton pickup!" he said with some pride.

I found that very curious. Although I didn't say it to the guy, I realized that if I want to drive something that feels like a new Dodge 3/4-ton pickup, I can go rent or buy one, right now, and it's an experience that several other million people have every day. What I can't do is go out and drive a 1934 Cadillac V12, which is an experience reserved for very few. That that felt sad to me.

To stretch the metaphors a little further, it's like when I was 5 years old and my dad took me to a meet-and-greet session with a few of the Cleveland Browns football players. I got all their autographs, which were, of course, completely illegible to me. So when I got home, I dutifully printed their names on a fresh piece of paper in a way that was legible, pasted that paper into my scrapbook, and threw the originals away.

Because the point to me, at 5 years old, was to have something sensible, not something genuine.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

The most telling conversation I ever had about these Full Classic resto-mods was with a guy at the Cadillac national meet a few years ago. He and a buddy had each built their own resto-mods out of mid-30s Cadillac sedans, one of which was formerly a V12. They were pretty much the same car, one a '33 or '34 and the other a '36. Lots of money spent, and ostensibly well done. Nice interiors, Chevy big block power, all the luxury and comfort conveniences. Essentially, as good as such things can be.  As I was looking at one of them, I asked the guy how does it drive? "Just like my new Dodge 3/4-ton pickup!" he said with some pride.

I would call those restoRODs; not a restoMOD with that amount of deviation from the original.  To me, restomods are upgrades to modern convenience and safety considerations over altering the traits and character of the original product.

At what point does a car become a resto-ROD over a resto-MOD?

Craig

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

I find bargains, too. Plus, I know for fact that if I buy a Packard part at a certain price, it MUST be worth more, because I'm cheap!!

To be fair...if you would hit the Powerball............you would still be cheap! I only say that because we have done business together! 😇

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

i like to do full chassis service on the old ones ......especially the brakes and steering to every last detail to be as safe as possible on the road........but even though they have a thorough refresh........they simply are not adequate on the roads today in traffic

Depends on how you drive, I guess. I have absolutely no problems driving my old cars in today's traffic. If you're well aware of the car's capabilities (or lack thereof), there is no problem. Drive accordingly. 

Also, adding disc brakes to an old prewar car will add no more stopping power unless you also add radial tires. I wouldn't do either modification to any of my cars. 

Like a couple of others have said, if I wanted to drive a car that felt new, I'd drive a new car. Busy heavy traffic in an old car does not scare me in the least bit. However, it is my opinion if you are afraid of driving in heavy busy traffic, you shouldn't.

• Like 8

I have driven a Model J Duesenberg all over London in rush hour traffic. A W O Bentley in Paris.....that was exciting! Traffic doesn't bother me........it's the people texting and talking on the phone that make me nervous. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stop and go rush hour isnt the problem. Its the 5 lanes travelling at 80+mph and at least 3 or 4 constant idiots weaving in and out. I have driven cars and ridden motorcycles over most of the country. I think the worst traffic I have been in would be a 3 way tie between Phoenix, Houston and Balt-Wash-NoVa. 95 through FLA is bad but pales in comparison to the aforementioned. Chicago area isnt a lot of fun, but most of the midwest is like dream land. LA is just LA. I will leave Toronto out of the mix as its another country, LOL.

There was a Packard collector in my town when I was a kid (early 70's) that would drive his roadster to S Fla every year to spend a few months. No idea what the car was but I would guess 30-32? We would spend a month in Hollywood and I can remember travelling on the turnpike and passing him on one of our trips. Dad pointed him out beeped and they both waved and kept on motoring along.

That's quite the shop set up arcticbuicks.  I should have stayed with my friend back in the 1980's buying and selling U.S. cars. He has a shop a lot like that as well. Just fooling, his came from the family business of commercial real estate rather than the car biz. Had a lot of fun with the cars , but the cars rarely did more than break - even,  once all the wages were paid, dealer license , dealer insurance , light, heat , taxes etc. The big earner was always the property itself. He is now on his fourth and final location, each time the business moved it was because the land had gone up very substantially. He kept moving further each time out of town and let growth work for 5 -8 years and grow the value of the property. He is now out near me in the farmland, turned a 80 x 400 former mushroom barn on 5 acres  into his shop. He is now retired , like I am, so no need for all the business overheads.

His father had a smallish trucking and excavating co. in the 1970's and early 1980's. Smart guy , ran the business well, plowed every nickel he could back into undervalued commercial properties. Made many times over what he could have with dirt or his son with vehicles. My friend then built on what his father started and now enjoys his old cars without all the restrictions most of us face. I just got an education and career as an engineer, hardly the road to a million $ shop set up. Actually around here; Vancouver B.C.  area, either your shop or his shop is more like 2.5 - 3 million with most of that being land value. I expect the land in Manitoba is quite a bit more reasonable.

I got to the point of having far too many last year. I moved 10 miles to my new place. A nightmare when you are doing it 95% by yourself.

30 cars , parts cars , project cars. vintage tractors and motorcycles sold. And more deals still closing from last summer. Unfortunately none of it put any money back in my pocket, moving costs and rent back on the old place ate up the money as fast as I could sell things. Rent back for 10 months on the old place was a killer. Costs for everything in the Vancouver area are nuts. Still have two or three I would like to sell . Once I finally save enough to build a building at the new place I might buy something. But that's still a long way away. As a retired person the bank balance  builds at less than a snails pace.