How Well Are Your Cars Sorted?

TAKerry

I don't know if mine is "sorted" or not.    What is the criteria  for sorted?   He made a trip to Spokane, WA, for the BCA Nationals in July.  Then on to Port Orchard, just past Tacoma/ Seattle to visit a brother.  Back to Missoula, MT to visit sis. Then home to Wichita Falls.    Dragging a teardrop the WHOLE way.

Just yesterday, 300+ to east TX to visit a buddy.

Does that count?

Benimage.jpeg.6d77ff062110458c0292f0dd2ce8149e.jpeg

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born
add photo (see edit history)
  • Like 16

8 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I don't know if mine is "sorted" or not.    What is the criteria  for sorted?   He made a trip to Spokane, WA, for the BCA Nationals in July.  Then on to Port Orchard, just past Tacoma/ Seattle to visit a brother.  Back to Missoula, MT to visit sis. Then home to Wichita Falls.    Dragging a teardrop the WHOLE way.

Just yesterday, 300+ to east TX to visit a buddy.

Does that count?

In my book, that counts!

Robert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

I use the @edinmass test to see if my cars are sorted: He drives them and tells me what they need. Highly recommended!  :)

Please answer me this....why does @edinmass have three cars he owns for multiple years and they are not sorted? Because he is too dam busy sorting cars for others! Hell, I have owned a car for three years and still have never seen it in person!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Please answer me this....why does @edinmass have three cars he owns for multiple years and they are not sorted? Because he is too dam busy sorting cars for others! Hell, I have owned a car for three years and still have never seen it in person!

Lol. Shoemaker’s kids running around barefoot. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Sounds like a personal problem.  OR more cars than one needs!

Ben

I am proud to say that all my cars are well sorted out. They all run and drive as they should and did from the factory.

Now and then as with all cars a little something, sometimes more than a little will pop up. (No pun intended)

My OCD will not allow me to not fix any things that do and will eventually happen. 

P.S. I have learned from experience and being judged many times that as most owners/people and judges will say no car is perfect, but we mostly all try hard to have them that way.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Let’s face it, a car is never really “sorted”. At least not for long. Otherwise, Ed would be out of a job.

I have taken a trip to Alaska, and never experienced a single problem. I’ve also taken a trip not even 1/4th the distance, and blew a head gasket, a water pump, and finally broke a crank to top it all off. The Fates still play a role in our journeys.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Lee H said:

Let’s face it, a car is never really “sorted”. At least not for long. Otherwise, Ed would be out of a job.

I have taken a trip to Alaska, and never experienced a single problem. I’ve also taken a trip not even 1/4th the distance, and blew a head gasket, a water pump, and finally broke a crank to top it all off. The Fates still play a role in our journeys

I agree.  once sorted, always sorted is not going to happen.

Ben

• Like 2

If I have the time to go though them they're mechanically and electrically 100%. I don't like things that leave me stranded. My 1925 White speaks volumes that way. Rusty, yes. But Runs like a White sewing machine. My 1915 Buick has also been tour proven quite a few times.

IMG_6539.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, edinmass said:

“Sorted” is only a fleeting glimmer in time…….the earlier you go, the faster it goes out of whack.

I agree with this to a point.  I know lots of car enthusiast who love tinkering with their cars and could care less how often something breaks or needs patching.  I would quit the hoby if every time I went for a ride I worried about sitting on the side of the road.  All my cars get a NOS or a new reproduction wiring harness, new/rebuilt mechanical fuel pumps, brakes need to be up to snuff but I never add dual circuit master cylinders.  I don't use battery disconnects because if there is a draw I track it down and fix it.  Certainly anything can happen and with the cars Ed takes care of, which are far more complex than most, I understand the need for constant attention. With some investment in time and a little money most all the cars we deal with can be made reliable as they were when new.  The problem with many people is that they expect reliability without fixing it correctly.      

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Avanti Bill said:

I don't use battery disconnects because if there is a draw I track it down and fix it.

I agree with that philosophy and immediately do try to track down errant electrical leaks. Still, I want a good battery disconnect to prevent bad consequences from potential rodent damage.

Of course, manually disconnecting the battery works just as well, I just have to remember to do it. The disconnect makes it easy to do, so I get into the habit of doing it.

I know two instances where a treasured car was lost because the owner forgot to disconnect the battery. Cars burned, garages burned. I suspect chipmunks.

Cool post, interesting to learn in modern terms from folks about what is defined as sorted factory-original vs modern sorted good-enough.

Not sure where my personal efforts and results lie on the ultimate sorting scale vs the big-time pro's like Ed, but after a couple years of effort, my 32 Buick seems decently sorted, and I would jump in it for a 1000mi endurance drive at any point and in any season, but only if the journey accommodated my current family/dad responsibilities - the car is as original to factory as I can make it, and I think its performing well - I have proof that it takes less than 3 seconds to start it dead cold when temps are in the 20F range, and proof that it takes about 0.5 seconds to start it when its been warmed (just need one cylinder to fire before the long-stroke rumbles).

Nothing is ever good enough for a perfectionist or a pioneer reformer, so when things sort out well, there can be solace...

And, its really cool that this Buick is so comfy to drive for many hours...who would've thought, 91years later...

10 hours ago, Avanti Bill said:

With some investment in time and a little money most all the cars we deal with can be made reliable as they were when new.

Oh so true, and with a little effort and attentive diligence, we can have some FUN!

My wife anticipates my wrenching efforts on our prewar Buick.

She trusts me to ensure our outings will be safe and fun, and relaxing.

I happily and joyfully work toward those expectations, but of course, why not!

My deal with the wife is (Rule #1) that all my cars have to be titled, run, and drive.  That’s so I don’t leave her with a warehouse full of junk that she can’t sell.  I am allowed one exception for a long-term project car.  Since retirement, my annual rhythm has been:

1st quarter:  select and prep cars for spring and summer shows

2nd quarter:  work off punch list items on any cars that don’t meet Rule #1 after spring test drive

3rd & 4th quarter:  long term project car work

It seems to be working for me, though when a new acquisition comes along that doesn’t meet Rule #1, it becomes the top priority.  Somewhere in there, I try to work in a few days each quarter to help friends who are age-challenged to keep their antiques and classics up to par.

Edited by Akstraw (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 12/15/2023 at 7:47 AM, TAKerry said:

Multiple squeaks and rattles-???

That's the most off putting thing for me, at least with regards to my old cars. My '61 is pretty decent in that respect. My '54 wagon has more rattles, but no real squeaks other than a door and window related issue....so I can live with it.

My '65 T-Bird is the most bothersome for me. It rattles more than my '61 even though I've put new coil springs in the front and leaf springs in the back as well as new upper ball joints, shocks and changed out upper control arm bushings. I still think I need new lower ball joints and bushings, but if I put those in and still have rattles, I probably won't take my refurbishment any farther than what my mechanical repairs have been so far. Boy, the new suspension parts I've put in so far do make the car ride noticeably better, though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr B said:

DON'T NEED TO SORT THESE!  All cars came from the factory with squeaks and rattles! Their original items. 😂

Robert

My new f150 has more squeaks than one can imagine, borderline ridiculous. The chassis squeaks a bit on my 77 trans am, I suspect it may be the leaf springs? I put the doors back together with all new or rebuilt parts in regards to the inner structure, window regulator, motor, locks etc. The doors still rattle inside. My son with A.D.D. is a perfectionist (sometimes to a fault) and has told me a number of times that he is going to do the doors on the 79 I am working on so they wont do the same.

• Like 2