Proof Ed's '34 Buick Does Run

George Cole

Looking at the Buick, I am enough of a stink-ka that if I owned it I would polish one headlamp, the horn under the opposite headlamp, and half of the hubcaps on the ground wheels so that when they rotated when moving they would flicker in the sunlight - blink blink blink.😊 I saw that done to an unrestored sedan of 1930 at a week long car show once. drivers door polished and waxed  and the rest of the car left alone. Great original car unrestored that the owner couldn't even take the time to sit on the ground and scrape the mud out from under the fenders that it was stuck too.

• Like 7

It was a fun day…….thanks George for posting the photos. We don’t like to push the old girl too hard……had it up to 60 for a few seconds, and it seemed happy at 54-56……faster than I would have expected. She ran 135-145 all day, and oil pressure was constant at 38lbs…….l’m guessing it’s the pressure relief valve dumping the excess pressure and holding steady. When cold pressure is over 60. You want to talk about strange events…….the electric clock started working while we were driving to lunch! Go figure. I can’t keep clocks on 100 point cars working, and the old turdmobile fixes itself after sitting since 1952? It kept good time for a few hours, and then we disconnected it to prevent battery draw down. Here are a few shots I took. Somehow the Jag photos didn’t download to my photo album. 

IMG_4077.jpeg

IMG_4078.jpeg

IMG_4063.jpeg

• Like 18

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

You want to talk about strange events…….the electric clock started working while we were driving to lunch! Go figure.

That's her way of saying 'thanks'!  Probably feels good to stretch her legs after that long nap.  ;)

Phil looks pleased with the result!

IMG_1584.JPG.634ab490660601058474c471d6b

• Like 7

The 1934 & 1935 Buicks were almost identical in style.   After that the "Fat Fendered Cars" took over until the "Box Shape" came along,  here's my 35 on Daytona BeachCardPicBuick.jpg.08d53669cc86fbaacc77cd4769c286db.jpg 

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added location (see edit history)

Best part is we still haven't washed it yet, although it did get rained on once or twice. Ashtray is still full of 1940's cigarette butts from the last owners wife. She quit smoking in the late 40's. Just passed away last year in her 90's.

• Like 6

On 12/12/2023 at 10:13 AM, Grimy said:

@edinmass must be out of chrome polish and 0000 steel wool.  That 2-31/32" bore must have been spinning up due to the 4.88 gears--he'll let us know the redline, I'm sure.

As I began reading this thread I was thinking just what you were about the revs it must be pulling. Somewhere amongst my files I have a bunch of info that the Buick factory sent to me in 1971, including the speed/revs graphs for all of the 1934 models. I know the Series 40 does 3200rpm at 60mph on a 4.33 rear end and 6.25 x 16 tyres. I am thinking the Series 50 on the next size bigger tyres (6.50s? - or 7.00s?) and those 4.88 gears must be doing a couple of hundred revs more. In the 1934-35 models peak power (88hp for the 50) was developed at 3200. Compare that with the series 40 - 93hp @3200 - add to that each body style weighed roughly 500lb less than the equivalent 50 - and you can see why the new 40 was regard as something of a performance car at the time.

• Like 3

@nzcarnerd I learned to drive on a 1934 56S sport coupe w/rumbleseat and kept it for many years.  As far as I was concerned, it was a 45 mph car on a good day.  I remember the charts you mention as being in the factory shop manual which went with the car when I sold it.  S50 tires were 700x16.  I remember 3920 lbs as the real world weight on a scale.

• Like 1

I think my new tires are a bit larger rolling radius....so maybe we were turning 2500? It certainly wasn't wound out.......and it wasn't protesting. Also the speedo reads 8mph slow......wondering if it had a rear end change in the past. Will have to actually pull the cover again and count the teeth. It's very comfortable at 50. I will NOT put it on an Interstate ever......it's just too dainty and the roads here are much too busy. Being able to drive it 55 without it screaming would be the perfect option. We plan on driving it to several events in the next few months that are 150 to 200 miles away. We shall see what happens.

• Like 4

On 12/11/2023 at 4:23 PM, Walt G said:

Looking at the Buick, I am enough of a stink-ka that if I owned it I would polish one headlamp, the horn under the opposite headlamp, and half of the hubcaps on the ground wheels so that when they rotated when moving they would flicker in the sunlight - blink blink blink.😊 I saw that done to an unrestored sedan of 1930 at a week long car show once. drivers door polished and waxed  and the rest of the car left alone. Great original car unrestored that the owner couldn't even take the time to sit on the ground and scrape the mud out from under the fenders that it was stuck too.

Ha Ha, reminds me of the time I took Bleeche-White to just one of my father-in-laws whitewalls on his daily driver. Then he had to clean the rest of them after much protesting and fun.  He failed to see the humor that day!  I have threatened one of my old car friends to do the same to his Buick that needs a set of tires.  But he says it’s for “go and not show”. You can still have a lot of fun in the hobby just for free

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I think my new tires are a bit larger rolling radius....so maybe we were turning 2500? It certainly wasn't wound out.......and it wasn't protesting. Also the speedo reads 8mph slow......wondering if it had a rear end change in the past. Will have to actually pull the cover again and count the teeth. It's very comfortable at 50. I will NOT put it on an Interstate ever......it's just too dainty and the roads here are much too busy. Being able to drive it 55 without it screaming would be the perfect option. We plan on driving it to several events in the next few months that are 150 to 200 miles away. We shall see what happens.

My Jag speedo reads ~10% fast.  Not sure why as everything appears original.  Perhaps the Michelin tires are a smaller external diameter.